insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dawg

insurance

Post by dawg »

Shopping to save on home and auto insurance. Is it risky for 82 yr. old to change companies or just accept increases.
TallBoy29er

Re: insurance

Post by TallBoy29er »

No personal experience, but I see no reason why you can't jump into the market and get quotes. If you use an independent agent, they could likely give you some insight into the perceived risk you are worried about.
hayhayday

Post by hayhayday »

I have never found any issues with home\ auto but some umbrella companies refused, limited coverage or surcharged due to number of drivers above 70 or 80 often grouping them with drivers under 22. Several auto insurers would be less but the umbrella is usually 3-5x the cost if they would even write it preventing switching as our umbrella requires auto.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

hayhayday wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:02 pm I have never found any issues with home\ auto but some umbrella companies refused, limited coverage or surcharged due to number of drivers above 70 or 80 often grouping them with drivers under 22. Several auto insurers would be less but the umbrella is usually 3-5x the cost if they would even write it preventing switching as our umbrella requires auto.
Apparently most umbrella claims come from auto-related claims. Older drivers, as a group, are more dangerous, which is why the umbrella rates can skyrocket.