Which Netbook - ASUS or Toshiba or ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chuck T

Which Netbook - ASUS or Toshiba or ?

Post by Chuck T »

I am in the process of buying a Netbook computer. I have been impressed with the ASUS 1005HA-PU17-BLK and the Toshiba NB205 series.

I will use it while traveling for email, web surfing, word processing and light spreadsheet work.

Do any of you have either model?

Have any of you evaluated either model?

Any other suggested models for my consideration?

Your input is appreciated. Both of the listed models run under Windows 7 Starter and have either a 160 GB or 250 GB hard drive.

Thanks for your help. Chuck

I have read all the previous threads on netbooks.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

I have an earlier 10 inch Asus model, which I bought in June, and very much like. It's had no issues so far and it's been knocked about traveling a fair bit. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon of both models that you might want to check out.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

I researched netbooks recently and based on specs and reviews decided the Asus is the best one for me. I only have firsthand experience with the Asus, but I could not be more pleased with it. I take it everywhere.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

While looking at Netbooks as a Christmas present for my wife, I really liked the 12.1" Asus, but BestBuy was out of stock.

I liked the larger screen and the fact that it ran XP rather than Windows 7, since some programs I have won't work with the crippled Windows 7 Starter version.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

You may want to wait a couple of weeks for this:
http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1201N-PU ... afriend-20
It will have the newest Atom dual core processor and nVidia Ion graphics chip plus a few other treats like 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD and Windows 7 Home Premium. Looks like a killer netbook with a 12.1" screen and HDMI. And just over 3 lbs. I think they are also going to have a silver version in addition to the usual black. This is the netbook I have been patiently waiting for.

Product Features
* 1.6GHz Intel Atom Dual Core N330 Processor
* 2GB DDR2 RAM, 2 x SODIMM Slot, 8GB Max
* 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) + 500GB Free Web Storage; NVidia ION Platform
* Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System (32 Bit)
* Bluetooth; Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n; 0.3MP Webcam; Free Sleeve Case

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
* Hardware Platform: PC
* Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Atom 330
* RAM: 2 GB
* RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drive
* Size: 250 GB
* Manufacturer: Portable
* Type: Serial ATA

Cases and Expandability
* Size (LWH): 11.65 inches, 8.19 inches, 1.31 inches
* Weight: 3.21 pounds

Power
* Rated Charge (normal use): 5 hours
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

I have an Asus 1101HA. (In fact, we have two. The other one is my wife's kitchen computer, which she bought on a Best Buy clearout while visiting NYC.) I cannot say enough nice things about this machine. I find the extra screen real estate and the slightly more commodious keyboard very worthwhile compared to smaller models. Try before you buy.

I used to own an Acer EEE 9" netbook as well. That was a great machine for travelling, very compact, very reliable, but for me the keyboard and screen were very limiting. We gave it to friends after we'd acquired the two Asus netbooks, and they are very happy with it (smaller fingers? better vision? ;)). If you want something really compact, it's worth considering IMO. ~$200 at Costco.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bob B wrote:You may want to wait a couple of weeks for this:
It will have the newest Atom dual core processor and nVidia Ion graphics chip plus a few other treats like 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD and Windows 7 Home Premium. Looks like a killer netbook with a 12.1" screen and HDMI. And just over 3 lbs. I think they are also going to have a silver version in addition to the usual black. This is the netbook I have been patiently waiting for.

Product Features

Hard Drive

Cases and Expandability

Power
Looks like it could definitely be worth waiting for. Wonder how long it will be before they reduce the price?
Omo

Post by Omo »

There's a good head to head Ion netbook review here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/30/ion- ... ercharged/
Milo

Post by Milo »

Intel's first major revision to their Atom platform will be launched next month.....the Pinetrail platform. Lots of new netbooks will be coming out. Like the Asus 1005PE.

Those looking at atom netbooks in the $450 to $500 range, I would suggest also looking at Intel CULV laptops like the Acer Timeline series. You get similar battery life, the option for 4 GB of ram, and Windows 7 Home Premium with a much more powerful processor. The Acer Timeline 1410 is getting a lot of good things said about it.

And if the OP is planning to do any spreadsheet work at all on this, then the extra real estate of a 13" with 768 horizontal lines will be appreciated.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

We've had Asus HE (10" screen) for a bit over six months and found that it is a great product for how we use it - that is to load/store our pictures along with internet/mail capabilities while we travel.

I gave up traveling with my Dell laptop two years ago - too heavy and too much of a pain to get through security.

Additionally, I can use the Asus due to the small footprint when on an airplane and the jerk in front of me puts his seat all the way back :roll: ...

- Ron
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Thanks to all of you for shaing your own Netbook experiences and providing additional information for my consideration. I apologize for not acknowledging your replies sooner. Last evening I borrowed my sons older HP Netbook to reply. After typing for about a half hour (I type slowly), I somehow managed to loose the reply I was working on. Frustrating to say the least. Let me try again today.

Paukinekine, Oneleaf and Ron
I am glad to hear that you have had positive experiences with your Asus Netbooks. The Asus brand appears to be a solid choice. Like oneleaf my own research has led me to the Asus products.

Mel
I agree the 12 inch screen would be an advantage. After using my son's 9 inch HP last evening I agree even more. I will check Best Buy to see if they have one I can test in the store. I wonder what impact the larger screen will have on battery life?

Bob
Thanks for the link to the about to be released new Asus product. The specs look very impressive. Amazon's site indicates the 12 inch Asus will be available in mid January. I will wait to check it out before buying. 2 more weeks won't be that long.

Norbert
Glad to hear that you have had positive experience with both the Asus and Acer Netbooks. I will take a closer look at Acer to see what they have to offer. The 9 inch screen will not work with my fat fingers and old eyes. I am sure they have larger screens like the other manufacturers.

Omo
Thanks for the link to the review of the new Ion Netbook platform. I read it hastily last night. I will read it in grater detail today. My first read indicates that the reviewer is not totally thrilled with the new units. It appears they did not meet his expectations. He seemed critical of battery life and questions whether they are worth the price increase over the older models.

Milo
As you suggest, I will also look at the CULV laptops including the Acer Timeline 1410. Hopefully they also offer a 12 inch model. It seems to be a good compromise.

Again, thanks to all for their comments and info. It appears I have more research to do before making my purchase. I will keep you informed of my progress.

Additional input will be appreciated. Thank you. Chuck
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

In Wednesday's WSJ, re: smartbooks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000142 ... 09328.html[/url]
Regards | Bob
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

just bought this netbook on December 26 for $228 at walmart. no lines. great build quality and performance! very impressed so far! they may have a few left.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1026142

it's a rebranded acer. 1.6GHZ, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, Windows 7.

Acer Black 10.1" Aspire One AOD250-1624 Netbook PC with Intel Atom Processor & Windows 7 Starter Edition

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=12961478

---------------

Acer Aspire One AOD250-1695 Netbook Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGAuYvDYnw

LOVE IT!
aainvestor

Post by aainvestor »

Daughter has been using an Acer Aspire One for a year now, no issues and couldnt be happier with it.

Faron
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

i bought this neoprene slipcase as well. it was the only slim case i could find with an ample zip compartment pouch to neatly carry the power cord as well.

Targus - Slipcase Laptop Case - Black/Yellow
Model: TSS125US | SKU: 9426668

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+Sl ... Id=9426668
tc101

Post by tc101 »

How is Windows 7 starter edition crippled?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

tc101 wrote:How is Windows 7 starter edition crippled?
You don't like your wallpaper? Tough. You can't change it. Lots of other things are missing. Here's a link: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... arter.aspx
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

i wouldn't call it crippled. i'm relatively tech savvy and there's not one thing i miss at all. the beauty of Windows 7 Starter on a Netbook is that it's SLIM and LIGHT and uncluttered. so there's no extra bloat to slow down your Netbook. Windows 7 Starter really feels snappy! i could care less about wallpaper and the other extraneous arcane features omitted in Starter. i'd never use them anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_5Mhq9YqY
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Mel Lindauer wrote:While looking at Netbooks as a Christmas present for my wife, I really liked the 12.1" Asus, but BestBuy was out of stock.

I liked the larger screen and the fact that it ran XP rather than Windows 7, since some programs I have won't work with the crippled Windows 7 Starter version.
Are there programs that won't work on Starter Edition? Other netbook manufacturers are providing Home Premium with their netbooks so you do have a choice.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

Paladin wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:While looking at Netbooks as a Christmas present for my wife, I really liked the 12.1" Asus, but BestBuy was out of stock.

Are there programs that won't work on Starter Edition? Other netbook manufacturers are providing Home Premium with their netbooks so you do have a choice.
the programs probably aren't yet compatible with Windows 7 - regardless of edition. they haven't been updated yet and can only run on XP.

XP came out in 2001. if you are buying a new machine, i highly recommend getting one with Windows 7 on it and future proofing yourself. and it's fast, stable, reliable, secure, intuitive, and easy to use. XP is almost a 10 year old OS.

good luck!
Valuethinker

Re: Which Netbook - ASUS or Toshiba or ?

Post by Valuethinker »

Chuck T wrote:I am in the process of buying a Netbook computer. I have been impressed with the ASUS 1005HA-PU17-BLK and the Toshiba NB205 series.

I will use it while traveling for email, web surfing, word processing and light spreadsheet work.

Your input is appreciated. Both of the listed models run under Windows 7 Starter and have either a 160 GB or 250 GB hard drive.

Lenovo S10-2 with Windows XP.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-S10-2-10-I ... B002DUEA88

Bought about 3 months ago (for about $450 US-- our computer prices are much higher). Has worked very well for us. If we had been forced to Windows7 I would have opted for 2GB memory rather than 1, and even then, Windows XP has a faster bootup time and more familiar (to us) user interface.

The S12 has the larger screen and the new graphics card, however that makes it less portable.

Lenovos are expensive but we have had good experiences with the Thinkpad (business laptop) line and so willing to pay the premium.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Gekko wrote:
Paladin wrote:

the programs probably aren't yet compatible with Windows 7 - regardless of edition. they haven't been updated yet and can only run on XP.

XP came out in 2001. if you are buying a new machine, i highly recommend getting one with Windows 7 on it and future proofing yourself. and it's fast, stable, reliable, secure, intuitive, and easy to use. XP is almost a 10 year old OS.

good luck!
Agreed it probably has nothing to do with the Windows 7 edition.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Gekko wrote:
Paladin wrote:

good luck!
Personally, I'd prefer XP, since I know all of my programs and equipment will run on it. I'd hate to buy a new netbook that wouldn't run some of my existing and fully functioning programs.

IMO, going to a new OS just invites extra cost and headaches discovering what will an what won't work. And what's the advantage when you already have an OS that does everything you want and works with all of your programs and hardware?
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paladin

Re: Which Netbook - ASUS or Toshiba or ?

Post by Paladin »

Valuethinker wrote:
Chuck T wrote:I am in the process of buying a Netbook computer. I have been impressed with the ASUS 1005HA-PU17-BLK and the Toshiba NB205 series.

Lenovo S10-2 with Windows XP.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-S10-2-10-I ... B002DUEA88

Bought about 3 months ago (for about $450 US-- our computer prices are much higher). Has worked very well for us. If we had been forced to Windows7 I would have opted for 2GB memory rather than 1, and even then, Windows XP has a faster bootup time and more familiar (to us) user interface.

The S12 has the larger screen and the new graphics card, however that makes it less portable.

Lenovos are expensive but we have had good experiences with the Thinkpad (business laptop) line and so willing to pay the premium.
Hi VT...I have played with the S10s here and they are really nice machines. If you rip DVDs they will play quite well on the S10 although a little more CPU power would be nice.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Gekko wrote:
Paladin wrote:

good luck!
Personally, I'd prefer XP, since I know all of my programs and equipment will run on it. I'd hate to buy a new netbook that wouldn't run some of my existing and fully functioning programs.

IMO, going to a new OS just invites extra cost and headaches discovering what will an what won't work. And what's the advantage when you already have an OS that does everything you want and works with all of your programs and hardware?
Mel the flip side is newer programs will not run on XP! Newer hardware will also not be supported on XP over time. I'd be very surprised if there are many mainstream programs that won't run on Vista and Win 7. Various utilities won't of course but that's a different issue.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Paladin wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Gekko wrote:
Paladin wrote:

good luck!

Mel the flip side is newer programs will not run on XP! Newer hardware will also not be supported on XP over time. I'd be very surprised if there are many mainstream programs that won't run on Vista and Win 7. Various utilities won't of course but that's a different issue.
While that may well be true, Paladin, with the limited and secondary use of a netbook, one doesn't want to have to pay extra to update their perfectly adequate software which currently works on their XP laptops and desktops. Something to think about.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who purposely avoided the buggy Vista by sticking with XP which works just fine.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

$400 Acer 1410 Dual Core with windows 7

Runs 6 hrs on the battery. 11.66" 720 HD screen.

It's not much bigger than an atom, but is as powerful as a fullsize laptop.
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Paladin wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Gekko wrote:
Paladin wrote: Are there programs that won't work on Starter Edition? Other netbook manufacturers are providing Home Premium with their netbooks so you do have a choice.

good luck!

While that may well be true, Paladin, with the limited and secondary use of a netbook, one doesn't want to have to pay extra to update their perfectly adequate software which currently works on their XP laptops and desktops. Something to think about.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who purposely avoided the buggy Vista by sticking with XP which works just fine.
it's 2010. embrace the future, don't fear it.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Gekko wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Paladin wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Gekko wrote: the programs probably aren't yet compatible with Windows 7 - regardless of edition. they haven't been updated yet and can only run on XP.

good luck!

it's 2010. embrace the future, don't fear it.
I've been involved with computers since back in the late 70s in the old CPM days, so I'm certainly not afraid to embrace the future. However, smart folks know that if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it! :D

I don't see anything Windows 7 offers that makes me want to change, and I don't change just for the sake of change.
rayout

Post by rayout »

I had an MSI wind U-100 that I bought refurbished and toyed around with for a while. Set up a triple boot with windows, linux and Tiger OSX.

Ended up selling it for $100 more than what I bought it for :D

Anyways I am really sold on MSI. They are a new player on the field and the additional options in their great support and open bios combined with the 3 year warranty on their new machines would make it a no brainer for my next laptop purchase.

I bought a HP/Compaq laptop this X-mas and I am seriously regretting the crippled bios.
Marilyn Dennison

I agree with Mel on XP

Post by Marilyn Dennison »

I have an Asus 1005HA with XP and an Asus UL80V with 7 home premium. I had to return the first UL80V with software issues. The netbook has been perfect and is usually my choice of the two to use due to the size and ease of use. I find that the 11" screen is easy to navigate and the smaller keyboard less cumbersome than the 14" notebook. Now that I have the notebook replacement I find if I didn't already know XP that 7 is more user friendly. This old dog doesn't feel like learning new tricks. Learning to use my Canon DSLR is more than enough for me. Also, as Mel stated, our scanner has no driver for 7.

I don't think that you can go wrong with the Asus netbook with XP. Just increase your memory to 2GB and you will be fine. There are three of us in our family who have purchased the Asus 1005HA.

Marilyn
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I bought my last computer at the time that they were selling Vista with a free Win 7 upgrade. The tech at the store (Staples) swore that MS Office 2000 would not run on Vista or Win 7, she claimed it would not even install. Since I still use MS Office 2000, I went ahead and installed it. No problem installing and it works fine for all the things I do, primarily Word and Excel. I read later that apparently Outlook 2000 has some issues with Win 7 and Vista but Outlook is not something I use. All my other programs work, although some had to be installed at the root level instead of Program Files because of the way user accounts are handled. Also, I had a scanner driver that worked but during the install process displayed a message that it was not Win 7 certified, I selected install anyway and it all turned out good. I am unfamiliar with the "starter Win 7" used on net books but I would not be hesitant to purchase one that way.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

I have an Acer Aspire 11.6 netbook with 2GB of RAM, 250GB HDD SATA, and Intel Celeron 1.30GHz with Windows 7 Home Premium that I bought for work/travel. I couldn't be happier with it. All my Windows programs easily installed with no issues.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

SurgPath

What model number is your computer? How is your battery life? Thanks Chuck
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

Chuck T wrote:SurgPath

Acer Aspire AS1410-2039 Diamond Black.............I'm very happy with the battery life usually getting about 6.5 hours. The keyboard is great, not much smaller than the one on my Dell laptop.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
BobB

Post by BobB »

I have been using an Aus 1000HE netbook since summer. I highly recommend Asus. Long battery life (over 5 hours), a light weight, durable product that is easy to travel with and great to surf the web with. Customer service was also good and very fast when I needed telephone support. No complaints.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

SurgPath wrote:

Acer Aspire AS1410-2039 Diamond Black.............I'm very happy with the battery life usually getting about 6.5 hours. The keyboard is great, not much smaller than the one on my Dell laptop.
Thanks SurgPath. I will see if I can find one at Best Buy or Staples to checkout. I had been looking for one with dual core processor (SU2300) but can't find one available. Chuck
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

Chuck T wrote:
SurgPath wrote:

Thanks SurgPath. I will see if I can find one at Best Buy or Staples to checkout. I had been looking for one with dual core processor (SU2300) but can't find one available. Chuck
Just an FYI that I purchased mine from Newegg.com. I've used them many times over the years and have been very happy with service/ship times. I was unable to find anything local with the full Windows 7 when I was looking back in November, but that may have changed by now. Good luck!
Marilyn Dennison

I used Newegg, too

Post by Marilyn Dennison »

We used Newegg for all 3 netbooks and the notebook.I also purchased the little case for around $11 which has a pouch for the cord and little handles for carrying. It is quite convenient.

Marilyn
Kenster1

Post by Kenster1 »

Bob B wrote:You may want to wait a couple of weeks for this:

Product Features

Hard Drive

Cases and Expandability

Power
Wow -- the fine line is getting muddled between a Netbook and a Notebook.

In the past I tried a Netbook but like some of you experienced here - I wasn't comfortable with the small keyboard and limited resolution.

With the price of this new next-generation Netbook around $484 - $499: Do you think it's still worthwhile over a Notebook? Can't you get a Notebook with similar specs in this $500 price range?
Last edited by Kenster1 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Any overconfidence in your investing ability, willingness and need to take risk may be hazardous to your health.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Thanks to everyone for their input. You have provided me a lot of food for thought.

Example:

Do I want to buy a netbook with a 10 inch screen or do I want the 12 inch screen.
Do I want XP or windows 7.
Do I want a netbook with the current Atom processors (N270 & N280) or do I want to wait a few weeks for the new faster Atom processor.
Do I want to look for a netbook with the Intel ULV (ultra low voltage) processor.
Is 1 meg of ram sufficient or do I need at least 2 meg of ram.
I will work thorough these and other issues.

If anyone has additional input please continue to provide the information. It is very helpful. Thanks Chuck
Kenster1

Post by Kenster1 »

Gekko wrote:
i wouldn't call it crippled. i'm relatively tech savvy and there's not one thing i miss at all. the beauty of Windows 7 Starter on a Netbook is that it's SLIM and LIGHT and uncluttered. so there's no extra bloat to slow down your Netbook. Windows 7 Starter really feels snappy! i could care less about wallpaper and the other extraneous arcane features omitted in Starter. i'd never use them anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_5Mhq9YqY
Oh I agree with Gekko on that. I much prefer Windows 7 over XP. Once I moved to Windows 7, there's no looking back to XP. The redesigned Windows 7 is light and snappy and applications in the future will be better designed to improve performance and memory usage on Windows 7.

Also, people should not compare Windows 7 with Vista --- I much prefer Win 7 over Vista. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a Netbook machine running Vista as they really weren't capable to do well at all. But Win 7 is a different story.

Moreover, the more powerful Netbooks coming out with dual-core Atom processors and more powerful graphics cards will run Windows 7 Home nicely.

We also live in a wireless world and connect wirelessly whenever we roam around and I also find that Win 7 is better than XP for wireless connections. The biggie too is that XP can become slow to boot up and log on --- on my laptop there is no comparison as my Win 7 is much snappier to boot up, logon and shutdown over XP.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Any overconfidence in your investing ability, willingness and need to take risk may be hazardous to your health.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Ken

I agree the distinction between netbook and notebook is getting blurred. The prices overlap. I have included a link to a review on the new Atom Ion Netbooks provided by Omo. The review of 5 of the new technology Atom processor Netbooks is not exactly a glowing endorsement of these Netbooks over the existing ones.
Omo wrote:There's a good head to head Ion netbook review here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/30/ion- ... ercharged/
leonard

Post by leonard »

Bought a Toshiba laptop about 5 months ago for work. Buttons started sticking after about 3.5 months. Outside paint finish started wearing off after about 4 months of use. Much poorer quality than any previous laptop I have used.

I personally will not buy a Toshiba again.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Chuck T wrote:Thanks to everyone for their input. You have provided me a lot of food for thought.

Example:

Do I want to buy a netbook with a 10 inch screen or do I want the 12 inch screen.
Do I want a netbook with the current Atom processors (N270 & N280) or do I want to wait a few weeks for the new faster Atom processor.
Do I want to look for a netbook with the Intel ULV (ultra low voltage) processor.

If anyone has additional input please continue to provide the information. It is very helpful. Thanks Chuck
Let us know what you finally decide, Chuck, and what the determining factors were.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Mel
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Chuck T wrote:Thanks to everyone for their input. You have provided me a lot of food for thought.

Example:

Let us know what you finally decide, Chuck, and what the determining factors were.

I will let you know what I decide. I forgot to mention one of the more important factors in the evaluation. How much am I willing to spend? Chuck
schwarm

Post by schwarm »

Chuck T wrote: Do I want to buy a netbook with a 10 inch screen or do I want the 12 inch screen.

A couple things:

I think most 11.5"+ screens have full wide screen resolution, unlike 10" screens.

Personally, I would only get XP if you need it for some application. If you are planning on owning the PC for a while (I assume most bogleheads will) I'll take the newer OS, one that's been well received.

I have not owned an Atom machine, but I do see complaints about their speed and multitasking ability. They were made for sipping the battery, not performance.

I think 1 meg is ok for XP, but you probably want 2 meg for Win7.

Note that the graphics capabilities of CULV's is somewhat limited, they are not gaming machines. They are however, better than most Atom machines in this respect, unless the Atom comes with Ion graphics.

Like a few other posters, I have owned an Acer 1410 for a month and really like it. Its got the SU2300 dual core processor (some 1410's are single core). I noticed that the price of these machines actually went up above MSRP on Newegg last month. So demand must be pretty good.

You initially were considering Asus or Toshiba - the two most reliable laptop brands. Both are good brands, but I took a chance on the Acer because the price and features were right - so far I have not been disappointed. Acer also make the Timeline 1810 - same size but better processor, memory, etc., than the 1410 but at a higher price were the ASUS machines might be considered.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

schwarm wrote:
Chuck T wrote: Do I want to buy a netbook with a 10 inch screen or do I want the 12 inch screen.

A couple things:

I think most 11.5"+ screens have full wide screen resolution, unlike 10" screens.

Personally, I would only get XP if you need it for some application. If you are planning on owning the PC for a while (I assume most bogleheads will) I'll take the newer OS, one that's been well received.

I have not owned an Atom machine, but I do see complaints about their speed and multitasking ability. They were made for sipping the battery, not performance.

I think 1 meg is ok for XP, but you probably want 2 meg for Win7.

Note that the graphics capabilities of CULV's is somewhat limited, they are not gaming machines. They are however, better than most Atom machines in this respect, unless the Atom comes with Ion graphics.

Like a few other posters, I have owned an Acer 1410 for a month and really like it. Its got the SU2300 dual core processor (some 1410's are single core). I noticed that the price of these machines actually went up above MSRP on Newegg last month. So demand must be pretty good.

You initially were considering Asus or Toshiba - the two most reliable laptop brands. Both are good brands, but I took a chance on the Acer because the price and features were right - so far I have not been disappointed. Acer also make the Timeline 1810 - same size but better processor, memory, etc., than the 1410 but at a higher price were the ASUS machines might be considered.
Schwarm

Thank you for your input. Where did you purchase your Acer Timeline 1410? Newegg or elsewhere? May I ask the model # and price? I have tried to locate a 1410 w/SU2300 but haven't found one. Do you know if any of the stores carry them? Thanks Chuck
schwarm

Post by schwarm »

Chuck T:

It seems like 1410's are very difficult to find in local stores.

This is what I got:

http://shop.bjs.com/-399-99-less--30-On ... ewprod.htm

At the time there was a $30 discount so it was $370 + shipping.
Note that this is the only 1410 model with a 2 year warranty.
Out of stock now, unfortunately.
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

I've just glanced back over the thread and there's not much mention of weight. One big reason I went with the Asus 1101HA is that it weighs only 2 pounds 10 ounces with the battery in it (and the battery lasts 5-6 hours). Its power brick is also very light.

One of the big issues for me once you start adding features - big screens, big batteries, fast new CPUs - is the weight. I want a reasonably capable machine I can pop into a little backpack. Five or six pounds doesn't cut the mustard.

If you're looking at notebooks in person, say at a Best Buy, note that the store almost always pops out the battery and has it running on AC. There's a big weight difference. Make sure you'll be happy with it, battery included.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.