What [investing] fun things have you done with your 80% stock market gains in the past year?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

What [investing] fun things have you done with your 80% stock market gains in the past year?

Post by JustGotScammed »

With your wealth almost doubling in the past year or so, what fun things have you bought and done with your gains from investing.
Brianmcg321

Re: What have fun things have you done with your 80% stock market gains in the past year?

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I bought more shares of VTSAX.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
placeholder

Re: What have fun things have you done with your 80% stock market gains in the past year?

Post by placeholder »

Are you sure about that number?
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Bought several things. All start with a V and end with an X.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I don't think this thread is going how OP intended.

Just because you make 80% on paper it doesn't mean you have spendable cash. I don't want to pay capital gains so I just keep it in the market.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

placeholder wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:01 am Are you sure about that number?
+1
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

• On monday I bought into VSTAX at $80
  • On tuesday VSTAX market price drops to $56 . I despair, but I hold.
  • On wednesday VSTAX market price rises to $107! I rejoice. 90% day-to-day gain!
  • On thursday I am feeling very rich and liquidate my 90% tuesday-to-wednesday gain
A -33% loss followed by a 90% gain gives a cumulative 27% gain. Nothing to sneeze at. But a bit less than 80% - 90%. Unless you caught those falling knives and bought the march 2020 dip with a large fraction of your portfolio.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What [investing] fun things have you done with your 80% stock market gains in the past year?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion). I also clarified the thread title.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dcabler

Re: What [investing] fun things have you done with your 80% stock market gains in the past year?

Post by dcabler »

Not exactly sure I'd call it "fun", but I rebalanced. Whoohoo! OK, it really wasn't fun. :D
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The market did not have 80% gains in the last year. Were you trying to measure from the bottom of the covid crash? Try computing gains from January 1, 2020 to present to get a more accurate number.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Money doesn't leave those accounts, is just reinvested.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Ha! Not sure about that 80% but a chunk of that would have been recovery of March 2020 losses. All dividends I have received have been used to buy new shares.

I ran out of space in tax deferred for bonds about six months before I expected to so now I have had to make purchases of VTEB (tax exempt bonds) in taxable. Fun!

I have considered moving my retirement date up. A date that last year was a “maybe” has turned into “not a problem” but the run up in housing prices has made me contemplate helping my kids with down payments.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Continued to build up my net worth. I haven't splurged on anything.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Why would the gains make anyone do "fun" investing things? Is rebalancing to your planned allocation, if needed, "fun"? I don't invest for fun or entertainment personally...
mhc

Post by mhc »

The 80% seems like cherry picking, but I'll play along because there still have been some decent gains over the last year or so.

I continue to invest the same way since I joined this forum about 10 years ago. The fun part is seeing my retirement getting closer every day. In 2011 I started an 11 year plan to get to financial independence. I am almost there if not already there. Next year I will hit a magic age which provides some nice benefits from my employer; otherwise, I would probably hang it up this year.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

The more I look at this thread title, the more I sense a setup. This is something I'd expect to see as a real topic on WSBs. Either somebody is lost or somebody is having fun.
balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 »

JustGotScammed wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:31 am With your wealth almost doubling in the past year or so, what fun things have you bought and done with your gains from investing.
very presumptive statement, smells like trolling!
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I made about 13% on my portfolio last year, better than I expected.
It all stayed invested.

The "fun" thing was noting that I passed the 2 million mark.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Sir this is Bogleheads. We don’t have fun. We use our money to make more money.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

The fun thing I've done with my gains is I kept them in the market.
PVW

Post by PVW »

I used most of the gains to wipe out the losses I incurred from Feb to Mar of 2020.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:05 am Bought several things. All start with a V and end with an X.
You bought a Vitamix too! Awesome.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I went to message boards and lied about my portfolio performance.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

sureshoe wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:32 pm I went to message boards and lied about my portfolio performance.
I didn't get around to that yet. But I can't believe OP's wealth merely doubled. Imagine such weak performance! Must not have owned stonks and crypto or something.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Carousel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:27 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:05 am Bought several things. All start with a V and end with an X.
You bought a Vitamix too! Awesome.
I think he was talking about VIX futures.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

JustGotScammed wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:31 am With your wealth almost doubling in the past year or so, what fun things have you bought and done with your gains from investing.
sorry you only got 80%. VTSAX got 86.5% from the bottom in 2020 to now:

http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fun ... A%5B%5D%7D

VTSAX did better than your british american tobacco stock which only gained 30% over the same time period.
source: https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... tock+price

see what I did there?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

The bottom of 2020 to current is not one year it's like 15 months and since very few people put all their investments in at that point they also absorbed that short crash in the majority of their holdings the better number to talk about is around 40% (still excellent of course).
gougou

Post by gougou »

Doubled down on oil & gas and some other beaten down stocks.
The sillier the market’s behavior, the greater the opportunity for the business like investor.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

I rebalanced into bonds. That was fun insofar as it's a relief to have less risk on the table as well as more money! :beer

I also am strongly considering a housing upgrade if the one I'm chasing pans out - I don't know if that counts as fun, but good for my sanity.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

Just doing some remodeling. Our home, which we purchased two years ago, came with a German made water boiler which also doubled as the heat source for our radiant heating. The thing sucked propane like nobody's business and hardly ever turned off. We've had it removed and installed Navien tankless water heater and a Navien tankless boiler. The new water heater is wonderful!! In two weeks we'll be replacing the entire HVAC system, which was also antiquated.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:46 pm

VTSAX did better than your british american tobacco stock which only gained 30% over the same time period.

see what I did there?
I put about a third of my net worth into British American tobacco. It’s the most undervalued stock in the world. It is going to absolutely crush it and it already delivers mountains of cash. Hop on and enjoy the ride!
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

I only invest at market bottoms, so I’ve taken all my money out of the market, will wait for another pandemic, and when it reaches 40% down, I’ll go all-in, just so I can come
back here a year later when it’s up 80% and ask the question, what fun things have you done with your 80% gains in the last year?

This seems like a wise and truly Boglehead approach.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I put about a third of my net worth into British American tobacco. It’s the most undervalued stock in the world. It is going to absolutely crush it and it already delivers mountains of cash. Hop on and enjoy the ride!
No offense to your personally, but as a physician…I’m not seeing it. Not a lot of companies have have to face people actively trying to put them out of business.
quadog

Post by quadog »

I went out to lunch today and spent $75 on a bottle of Thomas Fogherty 2012 blanc de blancs. I have never done this before in my life. It was wonderful.

The remaining 99.9+% of my investments I kept in the market.
BabaWawa

Post by BabaWawa »

JustGotScammed wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 pm

see what I did there?
You're obviously on the wrong forum...this is Bogleheads.org.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I bought 2 new cans of spray paint for the rust spots on my 1997 Camry.

Also bought a fresh bottle of ketchup, rather than cribbing all the packets from McDonalds.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm I bought 2 new cans of spray paint for the rust spots on my 1997 Camry.

Also bought a fresh bottle of ketchup, rather than cribbing all the packets from McDonalds.
Pro tip: when the bottle starts getting low, just fill it with water. Now you got another bottle of ketchup.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Consumer tips should be posted in: What frugal thing did you do today?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Wife and I usually go to Burger King and get 2 Whoppers for $6 (2 for $5 with coupon), but since our investments are doing so good, we went to Popeyes and got 2 chicken sandwiches for $3.99 each.
Slow and steady wins the race.
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

I rebalanced from 80/20 to 75/25. It only took a few minutes and a couple of mouse clicks, but it was pretty darn fun.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JustGotScammed wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 pm

see what I did there?
I can't tell if you are being ironic.

Playing it straight bat. This is very foolish.

You have put all your chips on one number on the roulette wheel.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Abe wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:51 am Wife and I usually go to Burger King and get 2 Whoppers for $6 (2 for $5 with coupon), but since our investments are doing so good, we went to Popeyes and got 2 chicken sandwiches for $3.99 each.
Don’t forget the McDonald’s app that has 2-for-1 deals all the time.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I donated more to charity than usual last year. While I have made a lot of money, the charities I support have not, and many have seen declines in donations.
Wiki David Grabiner
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Dividends + new money were reinvested in bonds in an effort to remain in balance. Otherwise, nothing.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
SGM

Post by SGM »

We contributed to some favorite charities, favorite theaters and opera companies who have been closed for over a year. We use a charitable trust and give anonymously. We also have given different contributions in honor of individuals we cherish.

We made improvements to a porch that make it very usable and enjoyable. I am surprised how pleasant sitting on that porch is now.

Portfolio is unchanged.
taojaxx

Post by taojaxx »

Gave $250k to both my sons.
Really.
And filed the 709.
Better lucky than smart.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Rebalanced twice, once in March 2020 and then again whenever we hit the rebalance band on the way up later in the year. Otherwise, kept the same AA, looked at the ISP a few times, and did nothing.

Fun? I dunno, but I sleep well at night. (Well, at least my investments don't make me lose sleep, if if other things do!)