What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 am
ruralavalon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 am Lord Edgeware Dies, on YouTube

A beautiful actress with a tyrannical husband charms Poirot (David Sushet) into helping her to get a divorce, she would be a prime suspect after her husband is murdered, except that she has an ironclad alibi.
You are really loading up on Dame Agatha!

When you have exhausted (Sir David) Suchet's Poirot, take a look at Miss Marple.

I always avoided the Miss Marple stories but have since come to appreciate the early ones with Joan Hickson. I think I was put off by the more recent ones staring other actresses. This is not intended to disparage those actresses. I just think the stories are better told in the older series. Marple was less prominent and the stories were quite interesting even before Miss Marple came on the scene (well into the story) and even then she had a low key presence. From what I have seen so far (dramatization of two of the six novels -- three episodes each) her primary role seems to be twofold: 1) occasionally prodding the detective's thinking in the right direction, and 2) summing up at the end.
We haven't exhausted the Poirot TV movies yet, we are hooked.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

tooluser wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm The Gods Must Be Crazy

A pleasant man travels to the edge of the world to rid it of an evil thing. This was the second time I watched this movie the whole way through. The first time - about 35 years ago - I thought it was boring and slow in the middle. I see now that I was incorrect. Lots of smiles and guffaws throughout.

Mild spoiler: I particularly liked the gunfight in the banana plantation. One - exactly one - person slips on a banana peel.
I loved that movie and the sequel (The gods must be crazy II).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

The Gentlemen, last night with the wife. Caught it on YouTube.tv. Very typical Guy Ritchie British gangster flick, but pretty good. Would recommend.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Liam Neeson “Honest Thief” on Amazon. I really liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honest_Thief

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Pianist” on Netflix. About the Jewish Ghetto in Poland in World War II.

Sad but enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pianist_(2002_film)

Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Impossible” on the 2004 Tsunami movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impos ... 2012_film)

Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“3022” on Netflix.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3022

Tony
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Tenet" - on blu ray but you can stream it on Hulu. Time travel movies rarely leave me satisfied and this one continued that trend. Hard to follow and confusing to me, but decent acting and looked/sounded great. I had to google the movie afterward not to find out more about it because it was interesting, but to figure out what it was I just watched.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Elsebet wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:19 pm "Tenet" - on blu ray but you can stream it on Hulu. Time travel movies rarely leave me satisfied and this one continued that trend. Hard to follow and confusing to me, but decent acting and looked/sounded great. I had to google the movie afterward not to find out more about it because it was interesting, but to figure out what it was I just watched.
I only made it about halfway through. It moved so fast with fast dialogue so hard to keep up. In many ways it seemed like the plot was just there to generate situations for gratuitous action adventure sequences. My wife tried watching it tonight and came to similar conclusion.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

JBTX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:30 am
Elsebet wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:19 pm "Tenet" - on blu ray but you can stream it on Hulu. Time travel movies rarely leave me satisfied and this one continued that trend. Hard to follow and confusing to me, but decent acting and looked/sounded great. I had to google the movie afterward not to find out more about it because it was interesting, but to figure out what it was I just watched.
I only made it about halfway through. It moved so fast with fast dialogue so hard to keep up. In many ways it seemed like the plot was just there to generate situations for gratuitous action adventure sequences. My wife tried watching it tonight and came to similar conclusion.
For those that enjoy time travel movies that actually require thought and deductive reasoning, I recommend Primer. The yellow in the graphic below is the actual movie sequences, the rest is up to you to construe, interpret and extrapolate with time (below, 6 years after the initial movie release, someone cared to post their thoughts).

Image https://unrealitymag.com/at-last-a-defi ... or-primer/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Chocolat on DVD, 2000, PG-13, Judi Dench (supporting role) and Johnny Depp (minor role). A woman and her daughter open chocolate shop in a small French village. Drama and romance ensue. This is definitely a chick-flick. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Love With The Proper Stranger

Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen drama/romance of 1963. Not really my type of film, but it was rated highly on TCM, so I figured what the heck, given the leads. The uncomfortable tension that pervades almost every scene is occasionally exploited very well for comedic effect. It's quite deserving of the Oscar nominations it received for best actress, as well as best cinematography and best costumes. Vivid visuals of life in New York City in the early 1960s. And Tom Bosley's screen debut!

Last year I watched the movie Swallow, and the two are almost exactly opposite portrayals of the same central dilemma of the main character. Two ends of a spectrum. I guess a lot has happened in the last 60 years.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Those Who Wish Me Dead. It's ludicrous.
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

Just watched "The Boy from Medellin" on Amazon, free with Prime. It was just released May 7, 2021, and directed by Matthew Heineman for Amazon. It's a docu/biopic on Reggaeton artist J. Balvin, specifically over a week-long period in 2019 as he was preparing for his first major concert back in his hometown of Medellin, Columbia.

IMO, unlike many docs of artists, this one managed to give a good glimpse of several issues during that point in time, with major undertones being the riots in Columbia for social justice reform, the depression and anxiety that Jose previously and still deals with, and an artist's role in political issues. Jose is quite clear that he doesn't believe his role is to take a stance on social issues, and has previously followed the belief that entertainers exist to do just that, entertain. But as the day of the concert gets closer, he has to deal with the dilemma of whether to take a more vocal stance on his personal beliefs, especially as it relates to issues in his hometown/country.

For those who don't listen to Reggaeton, it may be easy to initially overlook this one, (thanks to my spouse introducing me to the genre since he's from PR, it was already on my 'watch list). However, it truly got into those various issues above, and even if I didn't enjoy the music, it would have been well worth the 90 mins out of my day. (There's very little actual concert footage, unlike many docs in this segment).

English and Spanish with subtitles. Amazon link below, as well as a review:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... share_cu_r

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the- ... eview-2021
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Two movies on Saturday night:

Without Remorse (Tom Clancy) - so-so at best. A Navy Seal avenges the death of his pregnant wife. Michael Jordan stars.

Much better was "State of Play" a 2009 political thriller with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck...supporting role by Jason Bateman (well before Ozarks). Crowe is a Washington reporter teams with Rachelle McAdams as they track down murders which seem to involve a paramilitary organization trying to protect their agency. Crowe and Affleck are former friends who share a past (and other things) with Affleck now a Congressman who's aide is murdered.

Ed
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

jginseattle wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 am Those Who Wish Me Dead. It's ludicrous.
+1. Unfortunately and laughably awful.

Taylor Sheridan has scripted some good films, in particular "Sicario" and "Hell or High Water."
telemark

Post by telemark »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:37 am Chocolat on DVD, 2000, PG-13, Judi Dench (supporting role) and Johnny Depp (minor role). A woman and her daughter open chocolate shop in a small French village. Drama and romance ensue. This is definitely a chick-flick. I liked it.
And a great sound track.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Matahari wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:13 pm
jginseattle wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 am Those Who Wish Me Dead. It's ludicrous.
+1. Unfortunately and laughably awful.

Taylor Sheridan has scripted some good films, in particular "Sicario" and "Hell or High Water."
Yes, he's done some fine work in the past. But certainly not with this new movie.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bertilak wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 am ...
I always avoided the Miss Marple stories but have since come to appreciate the early ones with Joan Hickson. I think I was put off by the more recent ones staring other actresses. This is not intended to disparage those actresses. I just think the stories are better told in the older series.
Then there are the dramatizations of other Christie stories. She was VERY prolific and just about everything has been dramatized, often multiple times. ...
Joan Hickson, from what I've read, was the actress that Christie preferred after seeing her in a play, although I've never been able to learn why. The acting ability, obviously, but a guess would be mainly the eyes that revealed a special, natural shrewdness. While other Marple actresses acted Marple, it felt as if Hickson was Marple. My first Marple movies were with Margaret Rutherford in the '60s and I thought her natural comedy added to the character without taking away from the clever and deadly serous sleuthing.

As for Christie's prolificacy, even after writing all those marvelous Marple and Poirot mysteries, she found the time and creativity to polish off 13 short mysteries: Agatha Christie: 13 Clues for Miss Marple. I just dug out my copy from 1966 and will now happily re-read its yellowed, brittle pages.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MP173 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm Two movies on Saturday night:

Without Remorse (Tom Clancy) - so-so at best. A Navy Seal avenges the death of his pregnant wife. Michael Jordan stars.

Much better was "State of Play" a 2009 political thriller with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck...supporting role by Jason Bateman (well before Ozarks). Crowe is a Washington reporter teams with Rachelle McAdams as they track down murders which seem to involve a paramilitary organization trying to protect their agency. Crowe and Affleck are former friends who share a past (and other things) with Affleck now a Congressman who's aide is murdered.

Ed
Thanks.

Last night we watched "State of Play", the 2009 film version.
We tried to find the original and longer BBC series, but it didn't seem available, or not without... too much sleuthing :wink:

We both enjoyed it.

We also both think we had started it once, as some of the scenes were vaguely or very familiar, or at the least had a serious deja vu sense to them. Odd, as neither of us remenber much more than that, and definitely not the last parts or the ending. There were two scenes, one early and one much later that I would absolutely *swear* that I had seen previously.
Maybe we saw a movie trailer? It seems odd not to remember Helen Mirren, a favorite of ours, for example. if we had seen the entire movie.
:confused

We'll keep an eye out for the BBC series.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Star Trek Beyond, free on Amazon Prime, 2016, rated PG-13, UHD (Ultra High Def). The first part of the movie had far too much action, not much else. Then it got interesting. I liked it.

I have this movie on Blu-ray DVD but I haven't watched it in a while and wanted to see how it looked in UHD (4k). Looked good, but the sound could be better.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Truman Show (1998)

Some random guy is the only one who doesn't know that his whole life is a TV show, but he slowly catches on. Only the second time I've seen it. Excellent comedy/drama/almost sci-fi. Jim Carrey totally nailed it, Ed Harris was in an unusual role for himself, and an early Paul Giamatti was fun to watch in hindsight to his later accolades. The movie presents an excellent moral question that resolves in an ambiguous yet satisfying way. Well worth watching.

I remember that when it was released, pundits made two predictions about it: 1) We would all get our "15 minutes of fame" in the coming age of the internet video, and 2) Reality TV would soon be the biggest thing ever. They didn't quite nail prediction #1 (you have to put yourself out there, and may still be ignored), but prediction #2 took off like a rocket starting with the TV show Survivor in 2000. At one point there was even a reality series with two seasons where the "star" didn't know they were in a scripted TV show.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

El Acordeón del Diablo (The Devil’s Accordion) (2000)— Francisco “Pacho” Rada, Alfredo Gutierrez, Manuel Rada

This is a German documentary (in English narration) of the development and current state of the musical style of “vallenato” or Colombian accordion folk music. The story goes that the accordion was unknown in Colombia until a German ship bound for Argentina and loaded with accordions ran aground off the Caribbean coast. That’s how the instrument was introduced to Colombia. They had no one to teach them to play so they invented their own style. The Colombians tune the instrument to a higher pitch than is done elsewhere giving it a distinctive sound.

I like vallenato music as it’s upbeat, catchy, and has sincerity. This film presents a heartwarming story. It centers around “Pacho” Rada, a pioneer singer and composer of vallenato music, a legend in his time, who was in his nineties when the film was made.

It’s free to view on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/VqmzDDXJCRA
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Resident Evil volumes 1, 2 Apocalypse, 3 Extinction, 4 Afterlife. My husband has these on blu-ray as a box set. The first one is pretty good. In my humble opinion the 2nd one is awful all around, I honestly can't believe a professional did this movie at all. #3 and 4 are not quite as bad as 2, but not quite as good as #1. There are some cute parts in 3 and 4, the effects are decent, and Iain Glen is in them (Sir Joran from Game of Thrones). I liked Milla Jovovich in the Fifth Element but she is kind of bland in this role, although some of her outfits in #3 and #4 are quite cool looking. I never played the video game these movies are based on so they may be more enjoyable if you did.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:20 pm El Acordeón del Diablo (The Devil’s Accordion) (2000)— Francisco “Pacho” Rada, Alfredo Gutierrez, Manuel Rada

This is a German documentary (in English narration) of the development and current state of the musical style of “vallenato” or Colombian accordion folk music. The story goes that the accordion was unknown in Colombia until a German ship bound for Argentina and loaded with accordions ran aground off the Caribbean coast. That’s how the instrument was introduced to Colombia. They had no one to teach them to play so they invented their own style. The Colombians tune the instrument to a higher pitch than is done elsewhere giving it a distinctive sound.

I like vallenato music as it’s upbeat, catchy, and has sincerity. This film presents a heartwarming story. It centers around “Pacho” Rada, a pioneer singer and composer of vallenato music, a legend in his time, who was in his nineties when the film was made.

It’s free to view on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/VqmzDDXJCRA
Looks interesting. I like listening to new types of music and am not familiar with vallenato music. In the Q. :beer
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

The Father. Anthony Hokins truly at his best.. Olivia Coleman as the daughter was also excellent. A difficult film very well made.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"Dance to Freedom"
(2018)

A film about Rudolf Nureyev's defection from Russia, at the Paris airport in 1961.
It's part true footage, part re-creation with some exceptional ballet stars, and part interviews with those who knew him/were there (some in English, some with English voiceovers with the French or Russian soft in background).

It starts a while before that day, the events of the Paris trip and actual defection.
Fascinating background.

[Saw this on Youtube, so perhaps this should be for the "TV" thread?]

RM
fastrock

Post by fastrock »

Tom Hank's Greyhound
intense
Mr.RegPark

Post by Mr.RegPark »

Some Kind of Heaven on Hulu
Depressing as hell. I have 2 friends at the Villages. It makes me want to rescue them
Not a feel good movie re: retirement
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just watched "The Trial of the Chicago Seven".

Brought back quite some memories....

We both thought the casting was fabulous, and Mark Rylance never disappoints.

RM
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

A Quiet Place Part II. A good sequel. It's compact, tense, and inventive.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

True Lies on DVD, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, rated R, 1994. Directed by James Cameron, this movie fits it's description as an action - comedy - thriller perfectly. Plenty of action and a few scenes were hilarious. If you want an entertaining movie, grab some popcorn and just watch.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Hunt for Red October on DVD, Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, rated PG, 1990. A Soviet Union sub commander disobeys his orders. Lots of action and suspense. I liked it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hannah Arendt (2012) — Barbara Sukowa, Janet McTeer, directed by Margarethe von Trotta

A look at the life of philosopher and political theorist Hannah Arendt, who reported for 'The New Yorker' on the trial of the Nazi leader Adolf Eichmann in Jerusalem which she attended.
The plot of the film centers around the Eichmann trial and her reporting of it. Arendt argued that Eichmann was an ordinary man, not a monster, who lost the ability to make moral judgments. She was heavily criticized at the time for her New Yorker articles, which became the book Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil (1963) which is considered a classic.

However tape recordings of Eichmann made in Argentina in the 1950s later surfaced showing Eichmann boasting about the Holocaust and contradicting his later trial defense leading some to conclude that Arendt was taken in by Eichmann during the trial. The tape recordings are now in the German state archives.

The film includes footage of the actual trial. Eichmann was hanged in Jerusalem for his crimes on 31 May 1962 (59 years ago today). Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.

Stromboli (1950) — Ingrid Bergman, Mario Vitale, directed by Roberto Rossellini

Karin (Bergman), a young woman from the Baltic countries, marries fisherman Antonio (Vitale) to escape from a displaced persons camp after WWII. But she can’t get used to the tough life in Antonio's volcano-threatened village on the Italian island of Stromboli. A somewhat dark film with a thin plot, but good cinematography, most viewers wouldn’t like it. Even so, I think the film’s worth it to see Bergman in action. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.

Marnie (1964) — Tippi Hedren, Sean Connery, Martin Gabel, Diane Baker, Bruce Dern, directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

Mark (Connery) marries Marnie (Hedren) although she is a habitual thief and has serious psychological problems, and tries to help her confront and resolve them.

Said to be Hitch’s last great film, some of the scenes tend to drag being a bit long, but I enjoyed it. Based on the novel by Winston Graham, the author of the Poldark series of novels. Also nice to see Bruce Dern though he has only a bit part here. Recommended. The DVD was checked out of a local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:41 am, edited 9 times in total.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Archive - Amazon

A Sci fi set in future where an isolated robotics specialist is building a human like robot to hold deceased wife's analog consciousness. A little slow but overall well done and thoughtful. Would recommend.

The One I love, with Elisabeth Moss, a couple goes to an isolated CA retreat and discovers what appear to be idealized replicas of themselves. Was on Netflix, but I think just left. Entertaining. Good, not great.

6 balloons - Netflix - about a family with a brother frequently relapsing into heroin addiction. While it was successful at its intended purpose, putting you in the impossible situation of dealing with a addicted loved one, at some points I just cringed, as it was just hopelessly depressing, and I gave up on it about 2/3 the way through.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Mrs. Brown

Starring Judi Dench as Queen Victoria

"The film shows the story of a recently widowed Queen Victoria and her relationship with a Scottish servant, John Brown, a trusted servant of her deceased husband, and the subsequent uproar it provoked."
quoted from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Brown

Very good. We both enjoyed it a lot.
It was much more intense than we expected. (I'm not quite sure what we expected, but we did not expect it to be this good.)

RM
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A Fish Called Wanda on DVD, John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, rated R, 1988. A comedy involving four people who rob a bank and then try to double-cross each other.

John Cleese and Michael Palin are known more for their Monty Python TV series, but John Cleese shows his talent for comedy in this movie. I liked it.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:05 pm The Hunt for Red October on DVD, Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, rated PG, 1990. A Soviet Union sub commander disobeys his orders. Lots of action and suspense. I liked it.
Funny, I'm watching 30 Rock right now and just finished an episode where Alec Baldwin is coaching Tracy on how to lose all respect in Hollywood - by doing network TV. He references the Jack Ryan role... loosely.
AlecBaldwin wrote: Do TV and no one will ever take you seriously again. It doesn't matter how big a movie star you are, even if you had the kind of career where you walked away from a blockbuster franchise or worked with Meryl Streep or Anthony Hopkins, made important movies about things like civil rights or Pearl Harbor, stole films with supporting roles and then turned around and blew them away on Broadway. None of that will matter once you do television. You could win every award in sight. Be the biggest thing on the small screen and you'll still get laughed out of the Vanity Fair Oscar party by Greg Kinnear. Tracy, your career hit rock bottom the first time you decided to do TGS. You want it to hit rock bottom again? Go on network television.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 am A Fish Called Wanda on DVD, John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, rated R, 1988. A comedy involving four people who rob a bank and then try to double-cross each other.

John Cleese and Michael Palin are known more for their Monty Python TV series, but John Cleese shows his talent for comedy in this movie. I liked it.
I don’t remember much about that movie, other than that (at the time) I found it side-splittingly funny :beer
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I saw a positively hippopotamean Russell Crow in “Unhinged”. Two stars.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 am
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 am A Fish Called Wanda on DVD, John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, rated R, 1988. A comedy involving four people who rob a bank and then try to double-cross each other.

I don’t remember much about that movie, other than that (at the time) I found it side-splittingly funny :beer
Some trivia: Kevin Kline won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in that film.

I recently watched In & Out (1997) again the other day. Kevin Kline is very good in it. Funny movie.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

snackdog wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 am I saw a positively hippopotamean Russell Crow in “Unhinged”. Two stars.
Good use of the grammar. Most would have used "hippopotamusian", which would be clumsy.

hippopotame
Latin: vocative singular of hippopotamus
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Watched The Father this evening, not impressed. I felt it lacked the depth to really capture my attention. I would not recommend.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Blackmail (1929) — Anny Ondra, John Longden, Cyril Ritchard, Donald Calthrop, directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

After killing a man in self-defense, a young woman is blackmailed by a witness to the killing.

The first talkie from Hitchcock and, in fact, the first British talkie by anyone. The Hitchcock genius is most definitely on display in this early film, including the suspense, the moral ambiguity, the blonde, the chase scene at a national monument, the twist at the end, and all the subtle camera angles and plot hints leaving you guessing. And Hitch makes one of his famous cameos. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.

On a side-note, Cyril Ritchard was the definitive Captain Hook in the first TV production of Peter Pan opposite Mary Martin, and also on stage.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Agatha (1979)

with Vanessa Redgrave and Dustin Hoffman

A hypothetical story about what happens when Agatha Christy goes missing for about 2 weeks. The ending was quite a surprise.

Redgrave and Hoffman are terrific, no surprise.

But when Hoffman says, "... Mrs. Christy...", it sounded just like when he previously had been saying "Mrs. Robinson". It's that same characteristic intonation and affect.
As much as I like Dustin Hoffman (and we are big fans of his), he always seems to be.... "Dustin Hoffman as some other character".

RM
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

We watched Without Remorse, on Prime, over the weekend and it was bad. Not recommended. I like Tom Clancy books/movies, but this was poorly done and the acting or directing stunk.

We finished Counterpart, and we enjoyed it. Now we need to find a new series to watch.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

snackdog wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 am I saw a positively hippopotamean Russell Crow in “Unhinged”. Two stars.
Watched this recently as well. Crowe was very good in it but the film's premise felt flimsy and it was difficult to stay engaged in the plot which was sometimes rather silly. It was jarring to see him so heavy.

Last night we watched the first Mission: Impossible with Tom Cruise again after not seeing it for many years. It did not age well at all.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Cruise wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 am Watched Minari, available on a number of platforms for $$. Won Golden Globes for best foreign film, but actually made in the USA. Has Oscar nomination.

Interesting drama about work ethic, family dynamics, and pursuit of the American dream. Mostly in Korean, with subtitles.
Watched Minari (2020) last night
Free DVD from public library.
Agree with Cruise, interesting, but it dragged in parts. But Youn Yuh-jung totally deserved her Oscar :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wall-E on DVD, 2008, rated G. This Disney / Pixar animation takes a robot on an unwitting journey to outer space. It's a love story. Kind of cute, I liked it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Autumn Sonata (1978, subtitled) — Liv Ullmann, Ingrid Bergman, directed by Ingmar Bergman

A married daughter who longs for her mother's love is visited by the latter, a successful concert pianist. Ingrid Bergman’s final film. Recommended if you like to watch dysfunctional family relationships well-acted. If not, avoid. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.