What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

Projections — The Blues Project (1966)
Déjà Vu (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) — CSN&Y (released yesterday)
Includes many outtakes, alternate takes, and demos of songs not on the original release, and everything remastered, 3-1/2 hours of musical goodness!
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... e-1140951/
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat May 15, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm
iceport wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm (I just love YouTube for music. The playlists work well without ads using Adblock Plus.)
Thanks for the tip, I just added Adblock Plus to my iPhone and iPad. I had ten other blockers but not that one! I do use YouTube but my streaming is Apple Music.
Well, that just quit working... :annoyed :(

YouTube might have tweaked their code to trip up this hack. Now, Adblock Plus still blocks the YouTube ads, but it also blocks the site feature that allows continuous play to the end of the playlists. I'm seriously bummed. :(

And YouTube premium is up to $12/month now. I might just have to swallow my cheapskate pride and shell out for it...

I really got used to searching through artists' playlists, where most of them keep a fairly extensive collection of full albums. This past year it's felt a lot like being able to go into your favorite record store (remember those?), rifle through all the vinyl of interest — and then walk off with armfulls of LPs without having to pay anything! I guess 1) it was too good to last; and 2) it's probably unreasonable to expect completely free music.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:37 pm
iceport wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm (I just love YouTube for music. The playlists work well without ads using Adblock Plus.)
Thanks for the tip, I just added Adblock Plus to my iPhone and iPad. I had ten other blockers but not that one! I do use YouTube but my streaming is Apple Music.

YouTube might have tweaked their code to trip up this hack. Now, Adblock Plus still blocks the YouTube ads, but it also blocks the site feature that allows continuous play to the end of the playlists. I'm seriously bummed. :(

And YouTube premium is up to $12/month now. I might just have to swallow my cheapskate pride and shell out for it...

I really got used to searching through artists' playlists, where most of them keep a fairly extensive collection of full albums. This past year it's felt a lot like being able to go into your favorite record store (remember those?), rifle through all the vinyl of interest — and then walk off with armfulls of LPs without having to pay anything! I guess 1) it was too good to last; and 2) it's probably unreasonable to expect completely free music.
Get Apple Music, you can subscribe annually for $99, that’s $8.25/month, about 2/3rd the price of YouTube, and that’s cheaper than Spotify too. Also I read recently they may be offering it in hi-def with no increase in price. That’ll be great if that happens.
:sharebeer
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 pm Get Apple Music, you can subscribe annually for $99, that’s $8.25/month, about 2/3rd the price of YouTube, and it’s cheaper than Spotify too. Also I read recently they may be offering it in hi-def with no increase in price. That’ll be great if that happens.
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, no Apple products here... Most heavy duty listening is on a PC patched to the stereo, and then far less time on an android phone when out.

I wonder how the size of the Apple and YouTube catalogs compare. There's really not a whole lot I look for that I can't find on YouTube, and usually published in fine audio quality by the artists themselves — unless there's some unfortunate lack of rights to their own music. (David Grisman is a prime example of a really fine artist who has essentially locked up his entire catalogue.)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

I am presently training with heavy weight in my basement. Therefore: Motorhead.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 pm Get Apple Music, you can subscribe annually for $99, that’s $8.25/month, about 2/3rd the price of YouTube, and it’s cheaper than Spotify too. Also I read recently they may be offering it in hi-def with no increase in price. That’ll be great if that happens.
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, no Apple products here... Most heavy duty listening is on a PC patched to the stereo, and then far less time on an android phone when out.

I wonder how the size of the Apple and YouTube catalogs compare. There's really not a whole lot I look for that I can't find on YouTube, and usually published in fine audio quality by the artists themselves — unless there's some unfortunate lack of rights to their own music. (David Grisman is a prime example of a really fine artist who has really locked up his entire catalogue.)
Apple Music has most everything, the same catalog as Spotify has. But some things are missing from both that are available on YouTube, I guess because of rights issues which I’m not up on, or the labels haven’t allowed it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun May 16, 2021 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

Parov Stelar. Totally new to me and really cool.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

FWIW, I use the Apple Music app on my Android phone and I also sometimes listen on my Windows PC via browser at music.apple.com so one need not be completely embedded in the Apple ecosystem hardware-wise.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

The soundtrack to "Regarding Henry."
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

tyrnup13 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 pm Parov Stelar. Totally new to me and really cool.
Cool. Electronic dance vibe with some big band sounds mixed in (Catgroove).

Wiki: Marcus Füreder (born 27 November 1974 in Linz, Upper Austria), better known by his stage name, Parov Stelar, is an Austrian musician, composer, producer, DJ and designer.[1] His musical style is based on a combination of jazz, house, electro, hip hop, and pop.
iceport

Post by iceport »

sycamore wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:39 pm
FWIW, I use the Apple Music app on my Android phone and I also sometimes listen on my Windows PC via browser at music.apple.com so one need not be completely embedded in the Apple ecosystem hardware-wise.
Thanks for the info. Luckily, things are back to "normal" today. 8-) Looks like I panicked and overreacted.

Now, I'm listening to the sweet singing and playing of Sarah Jarosz on her latest release, Blue Heron Suite. Perfect for a sunny, lazy Sunday afternoon in May in New England!

I was fortunate to catch the debut live performance of this composition, commissioned by the FreshGrass Composition Commission, at the 2017 FressGrass festival.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Excellent jazz vocalist/saxophone player Camille Thurman with Emmett Cohen's trio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtXcSqWEzE

:happy
iceport

Post by iceport »

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 pm
iceport wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Get Apple Music, you can subscribe annually for $99, that’s $8.25/month, about 2/3rd the price of YouTube, and that’s cheaper than Spotify too. Also I read recently they may be offering it in hi-def with no increase in price. That’ll be great if that happens.
A question about Apple Music, how does their catalog stack up against Amazon Unlimited Music?

Right now I am streaming Led Zep via Amazon Unlimited HD.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Listening to "Cutting Grass" by Sturgill Simpson. He's a country singer who re-recorded some of his songs as bluegrass tunes.

This video will give you a good idea of what the album's like. Great musicians. High energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX8WfZSUbOU
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm A question about Apple Music, how does their catalog stack up against Amazon Unlimited Music?
According to this article Amazon Unlimited’s catalog is not as extensive. Disregard the chart that shows they have 70 million songs. That appears to be in error as it is contradicted in the article.

I trialed Amazon Unlimited last year before I went with Apple and I recall there were a few albums that I could not find on that service that were available on both Spotify and Apple Music. One of them was by The Siegel-Schwall Band, I don’t remember now which one it was.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration — Various (1992)
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Dawes
A little bit of everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrK0c1zClc
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

crinkles2 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 am Dawes
Great voice! :beer
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Today it's Randy Travis and his debut album from 1986...Storms of Life.
batpot

Post by batpot »

New Black Midi song off forthcoming album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wgnx_Phrw
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

crinkles2 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 am Dawes
Two of my Dawes faves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74C2hC ... JMmUf4fCJk all your favorite bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7VVDx ... JMmUf4fCJk who do you think you're talking to
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

No one has brought up my passion which is Irish Traditional music. One of my favorites is this duo, Caitlín Nic Gabhann and Ciarán Ó Maonaigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeWZMfdnL3E
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

Catching up on the Menuhin competition 🎻🎶
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:51 am
tyrnup13 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 pm Parov Stelar. Totally new to me and really cool.
Cool. Electronic dance vibe with some big band sounds mixed in (Catgroove).

Wiki: Marcus Füreder (born 27 November 1974 in Linz, Upper Austria), better known by his stage name, Parov Stelar, is an Austrian musician, composer, producer, DJ and designer.[1] His musical style is based on a combination of jazz, house, electro, hip hop, and pop.
Another thumbs up for Parov Stelar.

Most recently heard him in a commercial paired up with Graham Candy as vocalist in "The Sun". Can't remember what the product was.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Farewell Angelina — Joan Baez — an incomparable voice
https://youtu.be/qcwP2ulxDdY
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

Lucy Dacus. She's coming to the Fillmore in San Francisco in September, and will be my first post-pandemic concert! Woohoo!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
iceport

Post by iceport »

Roger Hawkins. Specifically, Roger along with fellow Swampers David Hood and Barry Beckett, playing on Traffic's double live album, On the Road.

His playing is prominent on this live version of Glad/Freedom Rider.

Roger Hawkins, Drummer Heard on Numerous Hits, Is Dead at 75

And to think, growing up that On the Road album led me to believe Hawkins was just another member of Traffic...

I heard an interesting interview with, oh it must have been Dave Mason, who said the band always felt a little guilty bringing some of The Swampers into their touring line-up in '72/'73, and being potentially a bad influence. The session musicians didn't really live the, um, "unrestrained" lifestyle of rock stars, but they got an up-close look at it for a while with Traffic...
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Last night I was listening to Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You. It electronically samples from Peggy Lee's "Why Don't You Do Right?" The video is especially fun. Peggy Lee's version of the song is fine too. :)

Right now I'm listening to a sixtie's party mix. Makes chores go faster.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Restless Farewell — Bob Dylan
https://youtu.be/9ptwqjQBJiw
Forever Young — Bob Dylan
https://youtu.be/xhVgzc-GD9A

Today is Bob’s 80th birthday (5/24/2021).
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am Restless Farewell — Bob Dylan
https://youtu.be/9ptwqjQBJiw
Forever Young — Bob Dylan
https://youtu.be/xhVgzc-GD9A

Today is Bob’s 80th birthday (5/24/2021).

I'm listening to WFUV which has an BOB DYLAN 80 FOR 80 COUNTDOWN: https://wfuv.org/playlist

I wonder what the listeners will vote number 1?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

heartwood wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:52 am I wonder what the listeners will vote number 1?
My guess is they’ll pick Like a Rolling Stone, his biggest hit. My choice would be either Mr. Tambourine Man, or It’s All Over Now Baby Blue.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am Today is Bob’s 80th birthday (5/24/2021).
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!??!?

heartwood wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:52 am I'm listening to WFUV which has an BOB DYLAN 80 FOR 80 COUNTDOWN: https://wfuv.org/playlist
Awesome, thanks for the link! Listening now.
iceport

Post by iceport »

heartwood wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:52 am I'm listening to WFUV which has an BOB DYLAN 80 FOR 80 COUNTDOWN: https://wfuv.org/playlist

And there we have it: Tangled Up In Blue!

A fine choice.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:52 pm

A fine choice.
Agreed, it’s a great song.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm
iceport wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:52 pm

A fine choice.
Agreed, it’s a great song.
Cool list here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... s-and-more

Priceless! Joan Baez & Marianne Faithfull Sing "As Tears Go By" In Bob Dylan's Hotel Room (May 1965)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:13 pm Cool list here:

Mick’s reply was the most astute and thoughtful answer. And Judy Collins’s was interesting as she’s known Bob the longest.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:32 pm
iceport wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:13 pm Cool list here:

Mick’s reply was the most astute and thoughtful answer. And Judy Collins’s was interesting as she’s known Bob the longest.
Yeah, as I read Jagger's comments earlier I thought that was probably about the biggest window I've ever seen into who he really is, behind the public persona.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:13 pm Priceless! Joan Baez & Marianne Faithfull Sing "As Tears Go By" In Bob Dylan's Hotel Room (May 1965)
I’ve always liked that song. I saw Baez in concert once, but much later.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

iceport wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:58 pm Roger Hawkins. Specifically, Roger along with fellow Swampers David Hood and Barry Beckett, playing on Traffic's double live album, On the Road.

And to think, growing up that On the Road album led me to believe Hawkins was just another member of Traffic...

I heard an interesting interview with, oh it must have been Dave Mason, who said the band always felt a little guilty bringing some of The Swampers into their touring line-up in '72/'73, and being potentially a bad influence. The session musicians didn't really live the, um, "unrestrained" lifestyle of rock stars, but they got an up-close look at it for a while with Traffic...

live from Santa Monica
Hood, mentioned in the obit, on bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpsXbHMGI5w
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm A question about Apple Music, how does their catalog stack up against Amazon Unlimited Music?
According to this article Amazon Unlimited’s catalog is not as extensive. Disregard the chart that shows op they have 70 million songs. That appears to be in error as it is contradicted in the article.

I trialed Amazon Unlimited last year before I went with Apple and I recall there were a few albums that I could not find on that service that were available on both Spotify and Apple Music. One of them was by The Siegel-Schwall Band, I don’t remember now which one it was.
Regardless of whether Amazon Unlimited has an album, sometimes I just can’t get Alexa to play it. Yesterday I must have tried to request John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (the Beano album) a dozen times without success before giving up. I just checked the Amazon Music app on my phone and they do have the Beano album.
I then asked for Jeff Beck Live at the Grammy Museum, and even though they have it, I couldn’t get Alexa to play it. I asked for Jeff Beck Live at BB King’s, but they don’t seem to have that. I had to settle for Jeff Beck Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Emmet Cohen, jazz piano - Live birthday party from New York

Live From Emmet's Place Vol. 57 - Emmet's Birthday feat. Michael Stephenson & Benny Benack III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vp_7J6rzX4
iceport

Post by iceport »

GG1273 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:17 pm
iceport wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:58 pm Roger Hawkins. Specifically, Roger along with fellow Swampers David Hood and Barry Beckett, playing on Traffic's double live album, On the Road.

live from Santa Monica
Hood, mentioned in the obit, on bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpsXbHMGI5w
Oh, man, thank you for sharing that recording! Seriously, that's pure gold! I've only listened to/half-watched 20 minutes or so for now, but I'm really looking forward to a full showing tomorrow morning. I never had any chance to see them with that iconic line-up, and never lined up band members with voices, how they interacted, etc., from album covers. So the video alone is worth watching for me. But the music sounds great, too. It's a set list chock-full of some of their very best tunes, and some nice long, loose jams. Very nice. This is the kind of find one can usually only hope for.

Such a great band!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

December’s Children & Aftermath (UK release) — The Rolling Stones
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Dylan is 80, hard to believe. I listen to him a great deal, at least a couple of times a week.

Surprisingly, his voice is just about the same as it was in his early career, a deeper croak has replaced his nasally voice of his youth! Dylan's music covered by other artists is an even better way to enjoy Dylan. :D

Nevertheless, if I had to choose one artist to listen to the rest of my life, it would absolutely be Dylan. His body of work is astounding.

On a happy note, I found out today that Amazon Unlimited Music streams The Roadhouse Podcast. Prior to this morning I listened via my HP monitor speakers, not exactly the best sound.

I found The Roadhouse Podcast on this thread years ago. One of my favorites, lots of new blues releases by new and well-established artists. Also a good many musicians better known for their rock genre pop up in blues tunes.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Listening to a lot of Dua Lipa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVcZfQe-Kw

Great beat. Fun.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Surf Music Essentials on Apple Music, it never gets old.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue May 25, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:48 pm Surprisingly, his voice is just about the same as it was in his early career, a deeper croak has replaced his nasally voice of his youth! Dylan's music covered by other artists is an even better way to enjoy Dylan. :D
Broken Man,

I just needed to comment on your comments above. 8-)

The voice? My mother — a classical music enthusiast who grew up when only good singers got on the radio — could never stand the sound of Dylan's voice. Besides the obvious lack of much redeeming aesthetic qualities, her biggest complaint was that, "he sounds like an old man!" (That's when he was in his mid-twenties.) Well, I never minded much, and was interested in just about anything but good singing. I just had no appreciation for the beauty of the human singing voice (ignorant kid!).

The only thing is, when he did get to be truly old, his voice pretty much failed completely. There have been at least a couple of his latest albums (I must confess I'm not up on his later-year discography) on which his voice is so broken and feeble that I can't actually bring myself to listen to them. Maybe the worst of that serious problem is fixed now, but there have been some cringe-worthy efforts in recent years.

So with all that criticism said, I wholeheartedly agree with you: Dylan covers are usually beautifully done, and can sound much better than Dylan's versions.

:beer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

^^^
Dylan’s voice was great on his ‘66 tour with The Hawks, you can check for yourself on one or more of The Bootleg Series releases.

Sadly his lifetime smoking habit and age led to its demise. The vocal cords aren’t flexible anymore. Listen to McCartney’s latest stuff. It doesn’t work anymore.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue May 25, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:21 pm ^^^
Dylan’s voice was great on his ‘66 tour with The Hawks, you can check for yourself on one or more of The Bootleg Series releases.

Sadly his lifetime smoking habit led to its demise.
Okay, I might check that out! Then, of course, there was Nashville Skyline...