Bose Wave SoundTouch System IV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Bose Wave SoundTouch System IV

Post by catdude »

Howdy y'all....

Does anybody out there in BogleheadLand have the Bose Wave SoundTouch System IV? If so, what do you think of it? If you're not familiar with it, you can see it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundTouch- ... 219&sr=1-1

My primary reason for getting the Bose unit would be to listen to music via internet radio (it has an Ethernet port). Would it be overkill to spend $599 to listen to internet radio? Would I be better off buying some nice speakers and hooking them up to my Mac mini? My general impression of Bose products is that they're pretty dang expensive, but I'd be willing to splurge a bit if this product is worth it.

Y'all please let me know what you think...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
devopscoder

Re: Bose Wave SoundTouch System IV

Post by devopscoder »

catdude wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:36 am
My primary reason for getting the Bose unit would be to listen to music via internet radio (it has an Ethernet port). Would it be overkill to spend $599 to listen to internet radio?
For me personally, this does seem like a lot of money. Do you have an iPhone? I have a couple of older Bose Sound Docks with the 40 pin pre lightning connector that I use with a Bluetooth adapter. Use my iPhone to stream music to it. I also have a mini home pod that I use. Have you looked into Homepod?
onourway

Post by onourway »

What is your primary source of Internet radio? Having been listening to streaming radio for nearly 20 years, IMO a smart speaker is by far the best solution, with the right answer depending on which services you subscribe to/use and to a lesser extent, what mobile ecosystem you use (Apple, Android).
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

catdude wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:36 am
Does anybody out there in BogleheadLand have the Bose Wave SoundTouch System IV? If so, what do you think of it?
I have both the Bose SoundTouch 20
https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/prod ... ystem.html

and the small portable SoundLink
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/spe ... r_ii_black

Personally, I like the small mini-speaker better.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I would say that is simply not needed anymore. You can get just-as-good or better sounding smart speakers that stream as well.
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

I have one, and I almost never use it. I bought a Bose Revolve, link it through bluetooth, and I can carry it anywhere.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

You have a lot of options, and I'm not sure this Bose system will be the best one. There are a ton of smart speakers if you don't mind the voice control. There are high end all-in-one options, that will likely sound better than the Bose, such as a Naim Muso. A cheaper option is the Bluesound Flex. You can buy a digital streamer like the Cambridge Audio CXN or Bluesound Node. You can do the Mac mini option too, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to change songs, etc. The above options probably all can be controlled using your phone.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Just want to say thanks, guys for your replies to my questions. You've given me lots of ideas to explore. At this point I'm thinking the Bose SoundTouch isn't my best option... I'll probably go with some kind of streaming speaker...

Thanks again, I'm much obliged.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

I have a Soundlink II - a little speaker that was $129, I think. It has great sound from my iPad.