When would you buy cryptocurrency?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
TheLaughingCow

When would you buy cryptocurrency?

Post by TheLaughingCow »

Locked: See this post by the site owner: New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulation Schemes, etc as Investing Strategies

For those who own no crypto. Under what conditions would you consider exchanging some USD for crypto?

Edit: This is a thought experiment. The point is to challenge Bogleheads' existing beliefs. At one point bonds were considered a safe investment and common stocks were regarded as excessively risky. Yet today the family who held stocks for the last 100 years is substantially richer than the family which held bonds. I do not want to be so attached to dogma that I miss fundamental shifts in the way the world works.

There is a point at which everyone would hold crypto, Boglehead or not. For example if your salary were paid in crypto, and the dollar was worthless, you would have no choice. I am asking, at what point would you decide there is some merit to holding some crypto "just in case" it really is the next big thing?

If you're going to answer "never", please just don't respond. This post is for people who don't own crypto, who can genuinely imagine a situation where they might need to get some. Saying you would rather starve to death than swap to a new economic system and use crypto is disingenuous and goes against the spirit of the question.
Last edited by TheLaughingCow on Wed May 12, 2021 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
tontot

Re: When would you buy cryptocurrency?

Post by tontot »

Likely invest into ETF once they approved is my guess
Index: 60/10/10/20 (VTSAX/VSMAX/VTIAX/VBTLX) | Crypto: 50/30/20 (BTC/ETH/BNB-ADA-DOT-VET)
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Four years ago. Second best time is now.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
warner25

Post by warner25 »

I'll exchange USD for some cryptocurrency when I need cryptocurrency to buy things that I want, just like how I've exchanged USD for Euros when I took a trip and needed local currency. Isn't this the obvious answer?
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

After a future crash of more than 70-80%, I might pick up some with some play money.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

TheLaughingCow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am For those who own no crypto. Under what conditions would you consider exchanging some USD for crypto?
Right after I cash in a winning lottery ticket.

(hint: I don't buy lottery tickets)
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

burritoLover wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 am After a future crash of more than 70-80%, I might pick up some with some play money.
Interestingly, based on the S2FX model that future floor will probably be right around where are now with Bitcoin...
Astones

Post by Astones »

I can only see myself getting crypto coins in case I want to actually use them for a transaction, for whatever reason, which is what they're supposed to be about.

I don't invest in currency and commodities, and indeed I have very little cash as well.
ensign

Post by ensign »

TheLaughingCow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am For those who own no crypto. Under what conditions would you consider exchanging some USD for crypto?
Not now. Not ever.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:08 am
Right after I cash in a winning lottery ticket.

(hint: I don't buy lottery tickets)
+1

Same answer
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

If I had more than enough (say, greater than 50x), I would consider holding small amounts of bitcoin (less than 1% of net worth) for similar reasons to why I would consider holding small amounts of physical gold. Otherwise, I don't intend to hold any of the currently available cryptocurrencies.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

When it's part of a Vanguard Total Market ETF or Target date fund.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Not sure I'll ever have to slice n dice my portfolio to an extent where I need to hold crypto directly in a meaningful way.

If wide adoption does happen, I am pretty sure lots of institutions will hold and use crypto themselves.

It is getting a bit harder to ignore when the market cap is now 2.5 Trillion bucks though....

I hold some with fun money. (under 0.5% of total $)
(BTC,ETH,ETC,DOGE, SAFEMOON, BSC, BCH)
Get rich or die tryin'
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

If you want to get in, I would just wait for the next 10% + market dip. They seem to occur every week or so. If it’s a broader rhetorical question of “whats its gonna take for some people to enter the crypto universe”. I think the answer is a the slow erosion of time.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
investuntilimrich

Post by investuntilimrich »

I'm still buying cryptos. There are some I'm HODLING but a lot I trade so when they pump I sell them off and take profits. It helps to actually use the crypto so you get some feel for its utility, combine that with sources you trust and have a good track record for technical analysis and a good read on if the coin or project can be marketed successfully or not. Just like you diversity any other investment, I am diversified in several crypto spaces/strategies, Last US survey I saw said only 14% own any cryptos yet, so we're still early to the market and even in the worst case of a bull market ultimately I think cryptos are going to see more widespread adoption. The risk is the same as with any other paper asset right now, if the fed stops inflating the house of cards will come down and you will be left holding a bag of ...... for an indefinite period of time so don't bet what you can't lose.
Last edited by investuntilimrich on Wed May 12, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

sid hartha wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:39 am When it's part of a Vanguard Total Market ETF or Target date fund.
Same here. The Black Rock Target Date 'funds' in our 401k have a fair amount of mystery to them, so it would not surprise me that some of the 'other' or 'unknown' categories include things like crypto. It’s only a couple percent so I figure it’s the manager's fun money. Besides using the SP500 and and total Bond to keep our AA right, we don’t buy anything else in tax deferred.

The only other thing we buy is VTSAX, the Vanguard Total (US) Market fund, in out taxable account.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I already allocated to crypto at market weight once it hit about $2T market cap.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

Jack Burton wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:00 am
burritoLover wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 am After a future crash of more than 70-80%, I might pick up some with some play money.
Interestingly, based on the S2FX model that future floor will probably be right around where are now with Bitcoin...
We all know how well models work in predicting stock market prices - I'd be even more skeptical of a new highly volatile asset class with only a decade of history.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

No crypto for me.

I became wealthy without owning crypto and will remain wealthy.

No tulips either.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Topic Author
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

ensign wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 am
Not now. Not ever.
So there is absolutely no situation which could pass where you would hold any amount of crypto?

Not even if the global market cap of crypto exceeds that of equities and bonds combined, and crypto is accepted for most most transactions?

Not even if all fiat currencies become worthless and people shift to crypto as a unit of exchange?
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

burritoLover wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am
Jack Burton wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:00 am
We all know how well models work in predicting stock market prices - I'd be even more skeptical of a new highly volatile asset class with only a decade of history.
I didn’t say it was likely, but definitely would not give it a zero percent chance of happening. Just because it’s highly volatile doesn’t mean it can’t behave in a pattern (insert past performance does not guarantee future results comment here).
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

TheLaughingCow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 am
Not now. Not ever.
So there is absolutely no situation which could pass where you would hold any amount of crypto?

Not even if the global market cap of crypto exceeds that of equities and bonds combined, and crypto is accepted for most most transactions?

Not even if all fiat currencies become worthless and people shift to crypto as a unit of exchange?
If this happens, it is the end of the world and it won't matter. Such a transition could not happen without collapsing most of US society, as it implies the collapse of the USD as the world's reserve currency. If I believed that, I would invest in bunkers and gold and guns first.

Personally I see no need to hold crypto directly. When it becomes a viable part of the economy, publicly held companies will be making money with/off it and I will hold it via total market funds. Just like I currently hold Coinbase or Square/Paypal in a total market fund.

I've no idea why crypto pumpers have invaded a forum like Bogleheads, hopefully it can get shut down and relegated to a single thread soon.
TigerNest

Post by TigerNest »

Never.
Topic Author
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

fortunefavored wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:03 am
TheLaughingCow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 am
Not now. Not ever.

If this happens, it is the end of the world and it won't matter. Such a transition could not happen without collapsing most of US society, as it implies the collapse of the USD as the world's reserve currency. If I believed that, I would invest in bunkers and gold and guns first.

Personally I see no need to hold crypto directly. When it becomes a viable part of the economy, publicly held companies will be making money with/off it and I will hold it via total market funds. Just like I currently hold Coinbase or Square/Paypal in a total market fund.

I've no idea why crypto pumpers have invaded a forum like Bogleheads, hopefully it can get shut down and relegated to a single thread soon.
I own 0 crypto and I'm not a "crypto pumper". I've been on this board since 2014, 0 posts about crypto other than this one. I am simply interested in getting rid of ingrained investing dogma in my mind and getting as close to the truth as possible.
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

LAST WEEK, FIRST TIME. ON MAY 5TH.
LONG TIME SKEPTIC. Refused to believe. Then did some research.

Put $5K in ETH, and assorted Alt Coins. Already up 20%.
My questions:
What now?
Do I hold forever?
Do I put more money in at rising prices?
Do I wait for bust and buy more?

These questions are unanswerable once you have taken the plunge.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

I never would. I simply have no need. It is irrelevant to me as a currency, store of value, block chain resource or investment.

"It’s Insane To Risk What You Have For Something You Don’t Need"
-Warren Buffett
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I would have to need crypto for something other than hopes and dreams of selling it to someone else.
I need dollars. My rent, credit card, bills, etc... are denominated in dollars. There is nothing I need priced in crypto. There are some places I've seen that claim to accept Bitcoin, like a food truck using 'Square' for payment processing, but they're just doing a conversion back to dollars and charging expenses along the way - it's still cheaper to pay in dollars... money.

I'd like to see a gas station that comes up with a "gas coin" that's good for a gallon of gas regardless of what the dollar price per gallon changes to... I could be interested in something like that, perhaps for some other products as well where the coin was good for a specific amount/product I need regardless of dollar value.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

SuperSaver wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 am LAST WEEK, FIRST TIME. ON MAY 5TH.

My questions:
What now?
Do I hold forever?

I just hold a DIY index of various cryptos at market weight.

Then I don't have to answer those questions.

I plan to rebalance the index as much as I can without selling, just with new quarterly contributions. So there will be some drift, I'm sure.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

To pay off some ransomware event if someone were to kidnap my dog, maybe?
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

RubyTuesday wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:16 am To pay off some ransomware event if someone were to kidnap my dog, maybe?
Isn't that the plot of the next John Wick movie?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

RubyTuesday wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:16 am To pay off some ransomware event if someone were to kidnap my dog, maybe?
That would be some technologically impressive "ransomware" to kidnap a dog ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

When I can pay my taxes with it.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am
I already allocated to crypto at market weight once it hit about $2T market cap.
What percent of Market cap is that
dt123

Post by dt123 »

Crypto prices are manipulated markedly behind the scenes. That's all a serious investor needs to know to steer clear.

Now a speculator, on the other hand, might want to swim with the sharks to make money off the momentum. That's fine, if they're realistic, but they shouldn't be on this site trying to convince others to jump in. Like others have said, I don't know why it's being allowed.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

vitaflo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 am When I can pay my taxes with it.
There are payment processors that will let you pay for lots of things using it, it's just inefficient and more expensive to do so compared to using dollars directly.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

JoMoney wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 am
There are payment processors that will let you pay for lots of things using it, it's just inefficient and more expensive to do so compared to using dollars directly.
I know. But I literally mean the IRS accepting crypto directly.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

dt123 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 am Crypto prices are manipulated markedly behind the scenes. That's all a serious investor needs to know to steer clear.

Now a speculator, on the other hand, might want to swim with the sharks to make money off the momentum. That's fine, if they're realistic, but they shouldn't be on this site trying to convince others to jump in. Like others have said, I don't know why it's being allowed.
There's all sorts of threads on here advocating for very counter-Jack Bogle investing. Usually those are kept better quarantined into a few threads. The crypto salesman seem to have a dozen threads going at any moment, with the same people in them, saying the same thing...
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

My answer has to do with a place freezing. I won't name it, because it would upset the moderators.

Never. Never ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXI3-4c67WY
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

SuperSaver wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 am LAST WEEK, FIRST TIME. ON MAY 5TH.

My questions:
What now?
Do I hold forever?

With you on ETH, except I dabbled in BTC/LTC back in 2017 and lost $370 out of $500. I've learned about/watched ETH for (4) years now. All I can do is kick myself for not acting sooner. Oh well! :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

RXfiles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 am
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am
What percent of Market cap is that
Right now (~$2.5T), compared to global stocks + global bonds, it's about 2%.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

dt123 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 am They shouldn't be on this site trying to convince others to jump in. Like others have said, I don't know why it's being allowed.
Where is this being done? I respect your opinion do I’m trying to understand it better.

I haven’t read every post but while many are explaining what they’re doing, I don’t recall seeing others convincing folks to jump in.

I maintain its very speculative and volatile, and folks should be prepare to lose everything.

There are other unconventional investments on this forum such as highly leveraged hybrid portfolios (such as hedgefundie adventure). While some cautionary advice is there, it’s not like it’s repeated on every post or page.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

i just allocate 1% of my net worth into crypto (equal weight btc/ltc/eth)

if it goes down, buy more to maintain 1% alloc. if it goes up though , i will just let it ride.

I'd rather not sell too much since i dont want to be doing taxes on crypto. coinbase doesnt send 1099s. i'll only sell when i absoloutely need the cash as a last resort.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Who knows? But I would say that the approximate lifetime of investment fads that eventually flare out is ten or fifteen years from flame to flare out. That's not to say the embers don't keep glowing, perhaps indefinitely. But if there is no desire to be an early adopter, a ten-or-fifteen-year waiting period on "innovative" new investments is not unreasonable.

I think I would want to see these preconditions before consciously making a move to add cryptocurrency to my portfolio. Every single one of these is absolutely possible within the next ten or fifteen years; likely, even, if cryptocurrency is close to what it is supposed to be. Nobody else needs to wait for all of these, but I honestly think I will.
  1. US SEC approval of a crypto ETF (a real ETF, Investment Company Act of 1940, not just a registered OTC security). Since 2013, crypto fans have been saying that it's as good as in the bag, just a few more months for regulatory approval.
  2. At least ten years of elapsed time from the peak of the current mania. That peak hasn't been reached yet, so not before 2031.
  3. Some kind of US government protection for depositors on crypto exchanges--maybe good like FDIC, maybe not so good, like SIPC for brokerages and state guaranty associations for insurance, but US government protection. And least one instance of small depositors being made whole, quickly and painlessly, after the collapse of an exchange.
  4. A shakeout in the number of available cryptocurrencies. Right now it's like car manufacturers in 1910 or personal computer companies in the early 1980s.
  5. A consistent and stable description of what functions cryptocurrencies are designed to fulfill--and demonstrably do fulfill in a safe and robust way. Medium of exchange, yes or no? Stable store of value, yes or no? Unit of account, yes or no? The answers might be different for different cryptocurrencies, but they shouldn't keep changing every three or four years.
  6. Pure-cryptocurrency-holding mutual funds or ETFs not only existing, but widely available as choices in 401(k) plans.
  7. Cryptocurrency allocations in target-date retirement funds from major providers--maybe not Vanguard, but big names
  8. An option at Amazon.com or Walmart.com to display prices in whatever turn out to be the leading cryptocurrencies, and to make a purchase using those currencies directly (not with the intervention of a third-party payments processor).
  9. Gambling casinos and racetracks accepting cryptocurrency bets, not because I think that would be a good idea, but because it would be a powerful expression of confidence from a financial industry somewhat independent of banking and investing.
  10. Solution to the energy consumption problem, not only proposed and piloted, but implemented widely across all serious cryptocurrencies.
  11. In the case of Ethereum and other currencies providing programmable "smart contracts:" a solution to the problem of program bugs causing irretrievable total loss. There has to be a human-mediated appeals process for recovering accidentally-orphaned cryptocurrency. If everyone can see that it's there, and nobody seriously questions your ownership, there ought to be a way to get it back.
  12. Probably most important of all... discovering that something I personally needed to do, perhaps booking a hotel in Canada or a rental car in Mexico, was easy, cheap and convenient to do with cryptocurrency and annoyingly difficult to do with dollars.
P.S. I think it is quite likely that I will find myself buying what I will call "fiat cryptocurrency." Does fiat cryptocurrency count? By that, I mean some kind of "Fedcoin" digital dollars that are backed by the United States in exactly the same way paper dollars are, with technology behind them may or may not include some recognizable inheritances from blockchain technology. I don't plan on buying any Venezuelan Petros any time soon, though!
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat May 15, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

nisiprius wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:25 am Who knows? But I would say that the approximate lifetime of investment fads that eventually flare out in ten or fifteen years from flame to flare out. That's not to say the embers don't keep glowing, perhaps indefinitely.
I like how you put so much rational thought into questions I tend to mentally dismiss with a quick statement, like when pigs fly. I truly mean the compliment, by listing your points you make me think about the topic in more depth.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

JoMoney wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 am
Payment processors don't count. That's like saying "I can buy groceries with gold coins at Safeway. It's easy, just a quick stop at Jack's Coin & Card Shop first." And even if you want to think about this stuff in good faith, it's difficult to cut through a smokescreen of crypto fan exaggeration and not be influenced by the resulting irritation.

I once tracked a specific claim that "you can buy things at Amazon with bitcoin." It turned out that what that meant is that there exist strangers on the Internet on various swap sites that promise to sell you Amazon gift cards in exchange for bitcoin.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

warner25 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 am I'll exchange USD for some cryptocurrency when I need cryptocurrency to buy things that I want, just like how I've exchanged USD for Euros when I took a trip and needed local currency. Isn't this the obvious answer?
+1.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:14 amI just hold a DIY index of various cryptos at market weight.

I plan to rebalance the index as much as I can without selling, just with new quarterly contributions. So there will be some drift, I'm sure.
Curious: what percentage of your portfolio is crypto?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

retired@50 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:39 am
warner25 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 am I'll exchange USD for some cryptocurrency when I need cryptocurrency to buy things that I want, just like how I've exchanged USD for Euros when I took a trip and needed local currency. Isn't this the obvious answer?
+1.

Regards,
My thoughts also.

Currently $0
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

mikejuss wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:39 am
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:14 amI just hold a DIY index of various cryptos at market weight.

Curious: what percentage of your portfolio is crypto?
I have a Risk Portfolio and a Liability Matching Portfolio ( non-rolling TIPS / STRIPS ladder covering cost of living to the year 2037).

At current market weight, crypto is 2% of the Risk Portfolio.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Question: When would I buy crypto???

Answer: When I stop seeing daily 2-bit Boglehead posts on crypto.

[No offense intended to the crypto-loving, but the volume of posts and media churn indicates this is a bubble]
Last edited by calmaniac on Wed May 12, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.