Toilet Bids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Toilet Bids

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Two companies have given me two bids on the same model toilet - Gerber Avalanche Elite. Both are reputable regional companies. One is going to charge $640; the other $831. The latter has a 10 year parts and labor warranty.

Is there any reason to have a 10 year warranty on a toilet?

Note: the company that is the highest bid has been my service company for 30 years with the exception of the few years I lived out of state. They stand by their work, but over the past few years, their service has declined and I will probably switch next year to the other company...

Thanks
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
climber2020

Re: Toilet Bids

Post by climber2020 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:42 am Is there any reason to have a 10 year warranty on a toilet?
No.

Can you just buy the toilet yourself and pay a handyman to install it?
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

"Is there any reason to have a 10 year warranty on a toilet?"

Sure, but not for +30% cost.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

They are very simple devices, and installing one is quite straightforward. The only thing a sloppy install may do is make a mess.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

The interior parts will likely need to be replaced at least once within 10 years. The rest of it has no moving parts and is highly unlikely to fail. You have to decide if $190 is worth it.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I DIY replaced one that original to our 1984 house in an extra bathroom. It was leaky and I didn't feel like diagnosing, so splurged on the $39.99 new toilet at Lowes, then while installing, realized that the clown who originally installed the old toilet used lag bolts through the toilet holes directly through the subfloor. I spent the $9 for the floor mount and properly mounted that to the floor which holds the new toilet perfectly. I certainly could have splurged for the designer ultra 2000 toilet for $400, but why? New one works absolutely fine and there's no longer any leaks. So fifty bucks and an hour of my time.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Here we go again with how easy everything is to d-i-y including performing brain surgery on yourself. Having installed several toilets I haven't always found it easy; something always goes wrong. The bolts won't come loose; the bottom of the toilet is warped (had to exchange mine - never would have thought to check, I just checked for cracks); the flange in the floor is broken; the shut-off valve leaks and you can't cut the pipe off because it's too close to the wall; the floor isn't level so you have to tear out the old tile and replace it. Ugh.

While I wouldn't buy a super-high-end toilet myself, unless you buy a gold-plated toilet it won't matter to your overall financial well-being, so just buy one you like.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:42 am Is there any reason to have a 10 year warranty on a toilet?
You'll quickly know if there is preexisting damage or a manufacturing defect. Either company would replace or repair the toilet in this case. So the warranty really covers the toilet guts (flapper, fill valve, overflow, etc. ). If you typically call a plumber to replace the toilet guts, then the extra $200 warranty is roughly equivalent to 1 visit from the plumber.

If you believe you'll need a toilet service more than 1 time in 10 years, then maybe it's a good deal. But it's a gamble and I wouldn't pay for the warranty.

Edited to add: Make sure the warranty covers parts and labor for the toilet guts. These wear and require periodic replacement and some warranties don't cover these types of parts. If the warranty doesn't cover them, then it's worthless as your other toilet parts should last through the apocalypse.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Thank y'all for the comments. Frankly, in all the years I have had a home, this is the first replacement of a toilet. Even my 1924 townhouse had the original; but the house I live in now was was flipped and it is the cheapest toilet out there from what I can see. I get the point about the premium for the warranty, so I think I am going with the lower bid. I am physically not able to do a replacement myself and will pay what is perhaps a bit more for a good company.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

gwe67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm The interior parts will likely need to be replaced at least once within 10 years. The rest of it has no moving parts and is highly unlikely to fail. You have to decide if $190 is worth it.
To this point... the things that wear out in a toilet are the seat, the flushing handle and the toilet tank "innards" ( use to be a float and the rubber plug - new toilets have the same things just look different - but do the same job). All of these things are available off the shelf at your local hardware store or home improvement Big Box store. All of these things are easy DIY's or you could all a handy man (or perhaps you have a relative or friend who has done this kind of stuff in the past or who can use youtube to go thru it step by step.) I'm guessing you can find the part number for the toilet "parts" online and can verify that they are Off the Self and the cost of them. I'm guessing the "innards" are $30 or less. I'm guessing the seat and the "flushing handle" cost will depend on how fancy you go. :)
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:35 pm
gwe67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm The interior parts will likely need to be replaced at least once within 10 years. The rest of it has no moving parts and is highly unlikely to fail. You have to decide if $190 is worth it.
To this point... the things that wear out in a toilet are the seat, the flushing handle and the toilet tank "innards" ( use to be a float and the rubber plug - new toilets have the same things just look different - but do the same job). All of these things are available off the shelf at your local hardware store or home improvement Big Box store. All of these things are easy DIY's or you could all a handy man (or perhaps you have a relative or friend who has done this kind of stuff in the past or who can use youtube to go thru it step by step.) I'm guessing you can find the part number for the toilet "parts" online and can verify that they are Off the Self and the cost of them. I'm guessing the "innards" are $30 or less. I'm guessing the seat and the "flushing handle" cost will depend on how fancy you go. :)
Toilet seats are usually not included. Looks like the toilet the OP is interested in does not include toilet seat, so that probably would not be covered by warranty.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Some observations:

The toilet has a 10 year warranty from the manufacturer, with limited lifetime on vitreous china. That's easily found on Gerber's website - https://www.gerber-us.com/wp-content/up ... rranty.pdf Doesn't matter who installs it, so if the higher price guy is using that to justify his price, drop him now.

The toilet lists for $440. You can buy it cheaper, and so can the plumbing companies. I easily found it for $100 less than list, including delivery. If a plumber is charging $XX per hour, think of how much profit they are making on this.

Toilet is rated as 73 or 74 by Consumer Reports, top rated toilet is 10 points higher.

You mentioned a home warranty company that you've had for 30 years. I assume that means you're up there in years. My mother had one of these companies for 20 years. She paid them a ridiculous amount of money over that period. I finally got her to look at what they did for her during those 20 years, and cost it out. One new water heater, some AC repairs until they refused to repair the old unit, and some other miscellaneous stuff. In short, maybe $1,000 worth of work in 20 years, and she paid them close to $16,000. Once she replaced her dual A/C units with good warranties, bought with her credit card adding 2 more years, she finally agreed to get rid of them. She has a handyman come in maybe once or twice a year for a total of less than $100 a year. Toilet making noise? New flap, $5 in parts. These companies prey upon the elderly IMO, presenting at senior buildings, and convince them that the world is going to fall apart, and it doesn't. Just a thought.

Also, on any forum but this one, there would be comments about the name of the toilet, Gerber Avalanche Elite. Not here though... :twisted:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Buy the cheap toilet and self-insure.
The Sensible Steward
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The existing toilet is a cheap Proflo. Many people have the problem with this toilet clogging and not flushing properly.
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

We have Toto drake in one bathroom - no clogs. I think we've had it for 15+ years. At one time Toto was one of the gold stds for toilets. We have an American Std Champion in another no clogs about 10 years. American std is around 200 at Lowes. You could see if they have contactors to install it if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Also check out the Terry Love site. He's has good recommendations on toilets.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Get a Toto toilet, you can order online for under $400. It will flush so well you can throw the plunger away. Local companies will install and haul old one off. I have installed plenty of them in the past few years.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:31 pm The existing toilet is a cheap Proflo. Many people have the problem with this toilet clogging and not flushing properly.
You can get a great flushing American Standard or Kohler at Home Depot or Lowes for less than $200 (for the better ones). If you don't want to install yourself plumbers in my area charge $75 for installation. If you are willing to pay $600 (more than double what many of us pay for a good toilet) what's another $200 to get "the warranty". :)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:58 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:31 pm The existing toilet is a cheap Proflo. Many people have the problem with this toilet clogging and not flushing properly.
You can get a great flushing American Standard or Kohler at Home Depot or Lowes for less than $200 (for the better ones). If you don't want to install yourself plumbers in my area charge $75 for installation. If you are willing to pay $600 (more than double what many of us pay for a good toilet) what's another $200 to get "the warranty". :)
I'm surprised at $75. Do you mean if you call a bunch of random plumbers in your area that's what they'll charge, or if you call "your guy", that's what he'll charge? Or will they claim they'll charge $75 and the job will always end up costing you $200 due to issues that "came up"?

Seriously, I can't imagine $75 for a toilet installation would be viable long-term for a plumbing business.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:24 pm
I'm surprised at $75. Do you mean if you call a bunch of random plumbers in your area that's what they'll charge, or if you call "your guy", that's what he'll charge? Or will they claim they'll charge $75 and the job will always end up costing you $200 due to issues that "came up"?

Seriously, I can't imagine $75 for a toilet installation would be viable long-term for a plumbing business.

"Seriously, I can't imagine $75 for a toilet installation would be viable long-term for a plumbing business."
If the old toilet is already out and the toilet flange is in good shape that is the rough price we expect as well.
Dependent upon what else may be needed the price could be much higher.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Where do you people find any plumber, no matter how incompetent, who will even show up at your door for $75?
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Lowes and Home depot have independent contractors that they use to install appliances and things like water heaters and likely toilets. Check with them. Likely $200-250 for the install, and maybe 200-250 for a good quality the toilet. Both Lowes and HD will stand behind their services so if you are not satisfied they will work to make it right.

Examples below -

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Kingsto ... 1001123216

https://www.lowes.com/l/toilet-installation.html
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 pm

"Seriously, I can't imagine $75 for a toilet installation would be viable long-term for a plumbing business."
If the old toilet is already out and the toilet flange is in good shape that is the rough price we expect as well.
I can't even imagine the plumber not having a trip charge of roughly that much not including any labor at the site. They have to make up for the drive time to and from the job. Plus somebody is paying for the truck, all the other business overhead, and the employee's time.
sharp1aarohead

Post by sharp1aarohead »

climber2020 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 am
No.

Can you just buy the toilet yourself and pay a handyman to install it?
My thoughts exactly! Toilets are cheap and they rarely need maintenance...call a property management company and ask for their handyman or show up to home depot at 8:00 am to buy the toilet and ask one of the dudes you see there first thing in the morning with paint on their pants and a tape measure on their belt - they'll likely install for 100-200 dollars.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:55 pm

I can't even imagine the plumber not having a trip charge of roughly that much not including any labor at the site. They have to make up for the drive time to and from the job. Plus somebody is paying for the truck, all the other business overhead, and the employee's time.
Although we often would change a toilet ourselves we had a number of them changed by a plumber - if the toilet flange was clear and ready and the toilet ready to go it was about that price. If we had more than one done at a time it was a bit less. We would let him schedule it for his best use of time within his day so the trip was on his way. Over time we used two plumbers - both were one or a 'few' person business's.
YMMV
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

jabberwockOG wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 pm Lowes and Home depot have independent contractors that they use to install appliances and things like water heaters and likely toilets. Check with them. Likely $200-250 for the install, and maybe 200-250 for a good quality the toilet. Both Lowes and HD will stand behind their services so if you are not satisfied they will work to make it right.

Examples below -

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Kingsto ... 1001123216

https://www.lowes.com/l/toilet-installation.html
FWIW - where we are Home Depot quoted an install price of $550 labor only for an electric water heater.
We did it ouselves in about an hour total. Perhaps get more than one quote on this type of stuff.
JPH

Post by JPH »

All my toilets are uninsured. I can live with the risk.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 am

Although we often would change a toilet ourselves we had a number of them changed by a plumber - if the toilet flange was clear and ready and the toilet ready to go it was about that price. If we had more than one done at a time it was a bit less. We would let him schedule it for his best use of time within his day so the trip was on his way. Over time we used two plumbers - both were one or a 'few' person business's.
YMMV
Maybe someday there will be technology that will enable me to visit your planet, but I don't think I'll live that long.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:08 am

YMMV
Maybe someday there will be technology that will enable me to visit your planet, but I don't think I'll live that long.
We seem to have much less difficulty with repairs and such...not sure why.
Have you priced a simple toilet replacement that did not require additional work?
In your experience does this 'task' require more than an hours work?
Were you able to source a reliable local sole proprieter or small business plumber?

Most all of our plumbing needs are/were in Long Island NY - where are your plumbing needs?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:14 am

YMMV
Have you priced a simple toilet replacement that did not require additional work?
Were you able to source a reliable local sole proprieter or small business plumber?

Most all of our plumbing needs are/were in Long Island NY - where are your plumbing needs?
I live in a LCOL area. What I'm saying is I can't get a plumber or electrician (my immediate need is for the latter) to come to the house and do anything for $75. If nothing goes wrong I'm sure a plumber could install a toilet in much less than an hour. My last plumbing job was a couple of years ago: about 35min, $125, no parts/supplies.

I generally use the non-megaservices (and avoid ones that advertise on TV, have huge fleets of trucks, etc.), so maybe an owner and a few employees.
egrets

Post by egrets »

jabberwockOG wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 pm Lowes and Home depot have independent contractors that they use to install appliances and things like water heaters and likely toilets. Check with them. Likely $200-250 for the install, and maybe 200-250 for a good quality the toilet. Both Lowes and HD will stand behind their services so if you are not satisfied they will work to make it right.
Incorrect. I had a storm door installed by Lowes, which turned out to mean by some random person they hired off the street, apparently, who bungled the installation and it took me months of phone calls to get it fixed. You can't even talk to the store manager, since asking for the manager gets you a different person each time. I would never have Lowes install anything again.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Toilet installs are not that hard, but I also wouldn’t attempt one as my first plumbing job ever.

I would just buy a mid grade toilet and call my plumber, who’ll do it for time and materials. But I already have a plumber who’s done good work on other jobs.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I replaced all three toilets last year during a bathroom remodel.

Toilets were HD's brand, Glacier Bay. I bought their Power Flush model with elongated base and ADA height.

The toilets were $149/each, and I paid the plumber $90/each to install the toilets that were not part of the bathroom remodel.

They do everything a toilet should do, nothing more, nothing less.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 am
YMMV

I live in a LCOL area. What I'm saying is I can't get a plumber or electrician (my immediate need is for the latter) to come to the house and do anything for $75. If nothing goes wrong I'm sure a plumber could install a toilet in much less than an hour. My last plumbing job was a couple of years ago: about 35min, $125, no parts/supplies.

I generally use the non-megaservices (and avoid ones that advertise on TV, have huge fleets of trucks, etc.), so maybe an owner and a few employees.
I do not know what the LCOL area may or may not have to do with it but we have had needs to change out multiple toilets, water heaters, sinks etc over the past 10 years and it was not so hard to find a good guy - not simple but still not so hard.
When we needed 3 toilets set at one time I believe that was less than $200 about 3 years back, more typically we would do it ourselves.
Electricians have been more of a challenge but not as often needed.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:14 am

YMMV

I do not know what the LCOL area may or may not have to do with it but we have had needs to change out multiple toilets, water heaters, sinks etc over the past 10 years and it was not so hard to find a good guy - not simple but still not so hard.
When we needed 3 toilets set at one time I believe that was less than $200 about 3 years back, more typically we would do it ourselves.
Three toilets might have been not much more than $200 for me 3 years ago if there were no parts or complications and they were done in one visit. That was really my point - the need to pay for time and the cost of transportation to/from the site. In every case for me the plumbers or electricians set their own schedule - no emergency work - so whatever route optimization they wanted to use they could have. I'm not complaining about the cost I've paid; I'm saying that I don't see $75 today for one toilet including transportation time and costs as sustainable for a business. When I've had a job large enough for an estimate I've gotten 5 or 6 so it's not like I'm randomly picking people.

I will say that in the cases where I've found particularly good values for services and have done good or excellent work - like where a provider had been 50% or 60% the cost of other estimates - four separate times now the providers have gone out of business within a couple of years. In one case in less than one year. Some have sold out to larger franchises with some of the highest prices. Some have gone on to less physical labor. Some have retired.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 am
smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:14 am

Three toilets might have been not much more than $200 for me 3 years ago if there were no parts or complications and they were done in one visit. That was really my point - the need to pay for time and the cost of transportation to/from the site. In every case for me the plumbers or electricians set their own schedule - no emergency work - so whatever route optimization they wanted to use they could have. I'm not complaining about the cost I've paid; I'm saying that I don't see $75 today for one toilet including transportation time and costs as sustainable for a business. When I've had a job large enough for an estimate I've gotten 5 or 6 so it's not like I'm randomly picking people.

I will say that in the cases where I've found particularly good values for services and have done good or excellent work - like where a provider had been 50% or 60% the cost of other estimates - four separate times now the providers have gone out of business within a couple of years. In one case in less than one year. Some have sold out to larger franchises with some of the highest prices. Some have gone on to less physical labor. Some have retired.
These two do not seem to be at all equivalent...
"Three toilets might have been not much more than $200 for me 3 years ago if there were no parts or complications and they were done in one visit."
"My last plumbing job was a couple of years ago: about 35min, $125, no parts/supplies."

"That was really my point - the need to pay for time and the cost of transportation to/from the site. In every case for me the plumbers or electricians set their own schedule - no emergency work - so whatever route optimization they wanted to use they could have."
And that is really one of the keys to getting a reasonable price - not an energency and working within the plumbers schedule
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

JPH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 am All my toilets are uninsured. I can live with the risk.
Haha. Mine too.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Just so you know, something like $831 for that toilet installed is an absurd markup. They're charging like $600 in labor to install a toilet.

https://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/pro ... v20852.htm

I now farm this stuff out now also and I have a reputable real plumbing outfit do it, and it's like $150 in parts and labor. It was around $370 out the door for an installed Toto Drake toilet with new supply line.

I'd ask around and find a better outfit or maybe just like in extreme HCOL area.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:43 am These two do not seem to be at all equivalent...
"Three toilets might have been not much more than $200 for me 3 years ago if there were no parts or complications and they were done in one visit."
"My last plumbing job was a couple of years ago: about 35min, $125, no parts/supplies."
I think it's very much equivalent if you consider the unlikely possibility of no installation problems at all. It really doesn't take long to install a toilet, especially if the toilet is pre-assembled, maybe the old one already removed, etc. as some of the replies have mentioned. The problem of course is that at least for me something always goes wrong - usually multiple things. I'm saying most of the $75 would be just a trip charge, then on-site time on top of that, so $200 would be in range.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If the OP is a Costco member, they stock a single piece and a 2 piece toilet. Very reasonable price.

2 button flush, soft close lid, taller sit. WaterRidge is the brand.

Then a handyman could install. Costco usually has a high quality product, good price and little choice (1 piece or 2 piece).
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:18 pm
smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:43 am These two do not seem to be at all equivalent...
I think it's very much equivalent if you consider the unlikely possibility of no installation problems at all. It really doesn't take long to install a toilet, especially if the toilet is pre-assembled, maybe the old one already removed, etc. as some of the replies have mentioned. The problem of course is that at least for me something always goes wrong - usually multiple things. I'm saying most of the $75 would be just a trip charge, then on-site time on top of that, so $200 would be in range.
$125 for 35 minutes and no parts/supplies = 3 toilets to be placed at about 2.5 hrs and $200?
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Harri88 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 pm We have Toto drake in one bathroom - no clogs. I think we've had it for 15+ years. At one time Toto was one of the gold stds for toilets. We have an American Std Champion in another no clogs about 10 years. American std is around 200 at Lowes. You could see if they have contactors to install it if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Also check out the Terry Love site. He's has good recommendations on toilets.
Those things are great. I recall when I was looking for a plumber to install one, the guy told me that it would be the only non-commercial toilet he would install in small businesses. I put one in one house and when I remodeled another house I put 2 more in. More than the average cost but nothing outrageous (at that time maybe $250 for the toilet).
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm
$125 for 35 minutes and no parts/supplies = 3 toilets to be placed at about 2.5 hrs and $200?
I believe a plumber could install 3 toilets in much less than 2.5hrs with the toilets and plumbing just sitting there ready to go, level floors, and there not being any old toilets in place. But the plumber would still charge $75 just to show up and do nothing.

With my hvac a few years ago I had a $79 trip charge plus I recall they threw in a few minutes of labor. I had a problem with a sensor being dirty so $79. My issue is the cost to get someone to the house, so I don't think one vs. two or even three fairly trivial tasks matters that much relatively speaking.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

tibbitts wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm Here we go again with how easy everything is to d-i-y including performing brain surgery on yourself.
Hogwash! Performing brain surgery on ones self is no more complicated then performing rocket surgery. Getting the brain out was the easy part... the hard part was getting the brain out...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
av111

Post by av111 »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm
I believe a plumber could install 3 toilets in much less than 2.5hrs with the toilets and plumbing just sitting there ready to go, level floors, and there not being any old toilets in place. But the plumber would still charge $75 just to show up and do nothing.

With my hvac a few years ago I had a $79 trip charge plus I recall they threw in a few minutes of labor. I had a problem with a sensor being dirty so $79. My issue is the cost to get someone to the house, so I don't think one vs. two or even three fairly trivial tasks matters that much relatively speaking.
We usually pay 75 to 100 when we have had to replace toilets at rentals. Try nextdoor if you live in an area with active community. Usually find decent handyman. Licensed plumbers should charge 100 to 125 for the same job.

Buy Toto with heated seats and warm bidet. You will never go back again to cold toilets that do not have bidets
AV111
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm

Wish I could help more - our data does not compare.
Fortuneately for us we can get a single toilet placed for $75.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I'm a Toto man myself.
I bought one on the recommendation of Wirecutter, and after being sold on the (probably BS) promo youtube video where some guy flushes a couple of dozen golf balls down it. I couldn't even get toilet paper to go down my old one.
I'm as happy as anybody could be with a toilet.
You have to figure, if that dog was smart enough to rescue Dorothy from the Wicked Witch of the West, when he came back to Kansas and started a plumbing fixture company he had to be smart enough to know what he was doing.

But if you are set on that other toilet, fine. If you live in a place that experiences winter I would go for the cheaper one and spend the difference you save on a heated toilet seat.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm Here we go again with how easy everything is to d-i-y including performing brain surgery on yourself.

I have to laugh. In my household my wife jokes that everything costs 2x what it should. There's the initial cost of me going to the store 3 or 4 times to get everything I need to make the repair/replacement/etc. because I *never* get everything in one or even two shots, and then of course there's the cost of hiring someone to come in and fix everything I was unable to fix myself (which is everything).

Personally, I'm out of the plumbing trade. Everything I touch leaks. It's just not worth it and I have no desire to try and get better at it.

Also, at least where I am, the second a plumber comes into your house you're out $250 minimum (hence why I try DIY). I chuckle when I read replies about it costing $50 or $75 to have something installed. Sometimes I wonder if people are just remembering what they paid for something 40 years ago and are posting about it like the price hasn't changed...
NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan »

We have multiple Toto Ultramax toilets in the home and one at the renter Toto Drake.
In 14 years since installation, only thing needed replacement is flap and one nut that holds handle (it broke last week).
It survived moody teenager son who enjoyed sending half roll of toilet papers down it.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm

I have to laugh. In my household my wife jokes that everything costs 2x what it should. There's the initial cost of me going to the store 3 or 4 times to get everything I need to make the repair/replacement/etc. because I *never* get everything in one or even two shots, and then of course there's the cost of hiring someone to come in and fix everything I was unable to fix myself (which is everything).

Personally, I'm out of the plumbing trade. Everything I touch leaks. It's just not worth it and I have no desire to try and get better at it.

Also, at least where I am, the second a plumber comes into your house you're out $250 minimum (hence why I try DIY). I chuckle when I read replies about it costing $50 or $75 to have something installed. Sometimes I wonder if people are just remembering what they paid for something 40 years ago and are posting about it like the price hasn't changed...
Although I'm not quite at $250 here yet I completely understand. It's likely my bill will be more than $250 for most services certainly, especially considering that marked-up parts are usually involved. It reminds me of watching the real estate flipping programs on TV, where they say the kitchen or bath will be a complete gut job - and then put a price on the entire job that I could barely find someone to replace my countertops and sinks for.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Although I'm not quite at $250 here yet I completely understand. It's likely my bill will be more than $250 for most services certainly, especially considering that marked-up parts are usually involved. It reminds me of watching the real estate flipping programs on TV, where they say the kitchen or bath will be a complete gut job - and then put a price on the entire job that I could barely find someone to replace my countertops and sinks for.
You are missing one key element here.
Yes, when I screw up (it happens frequently), I get frustrated and take a blow to my self-esteem and wind up hiring somebody in the long run, costing me more money.
But when I succeed in doing something well, I beam with pride and every time I sit on that toilet (well, ok, not EVERY time) I say to myself: "You did it!" Plus as a retiree I feel like I learned something and that alone made good use of my time.
It's very satisfying. Probably more to some than others. Saving money is a very small part of it. I am not going to significantly impact my lifestyle by spending what it costs to install a toilet.

A fitting analogy is gardening. I would probably spend less if I bought my herbs and vegetables at a farmer's market, and when I consider the amount of labor spent in growing my own, just doing the math makes it seem silly at best. But for some of us, running outside to pick our own mint or basil or tomatoes or whatever is worth it all.