Electric Toothbrush Replacement Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
waltman300

Electric Toothbrush Replacement Recommendations?

Post by waltman300 »

I used an old oral b electric toothbrush for many years and it stopped working few months ago. As in stop charging. Back then electric toothbrushes were expensive, like a hundred dollars or so and now when i check amazon, im shocked at how low the prices are and the great reviews of these.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a specific electric toothbrush that i can buy off amazon? Shocked at how low these prices are.

I see a few that are literally under thirty dollars total and have great reviews and somewhat skeptical about those.
Bogle7

Sonicare

Post by Bogle7 »

Our Sonicare is 19 years old.
When it dies I am buying a new one from Costco.

Update April 7, 2022: Decided to buy a new one today from Jeff Bezos. Costco does not sell the cheapest model.
New handle was $30.
New genuine Philips’ C1 heads are cheaper than the original E-series.
3 E-Series heads are $43 or $14.30 per head.
5 C1 heads are $30 or $6/head.

Update April 13, 2022:
Very happy with new model.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
veggivet

Re: Electric Toothbrush Replacement Recommendations?

Post by veggivet »

Nothing beats Sonicare.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I’m wondering whether the lightweight newer Sonicare models clean as well as the older ones with the heavy screw-on brushes that include the magnet with each brush? Rechargeable batteries cannot last forever. I’ve never had a Sonicare handle last more than five years.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I have used the base line Oral B and get great check ups.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

I have no interest in hijacking this thread, but I’m wondering if anyone here has purchased and used the USmile U1 Sonic electric toothbrush. I’ve never encountered a better toothbrush. It was an ideal device. And then the company that made it just seemed to disappear. I can’t find replacement toothbrush heads anywhere. Internet searches come up cold.

If it ever reappears, I would attempt a Hunt Brothers-like cornering of the market for the brush heads.

So, a) it’s my top recommendation to the OP’s question. And b) it’s a plea to the forum— anyone know of this product and have any avenue by way replacement brush heads may be purchased?
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Bought the mid-priced Sonicare sold by Costco last year. Think it was $80-$90 for a 2 pack. Very satisfied customer so far.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Sonicare is the gold standard.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

Oral B works well for us. Purchased new on ebay. I buy replacement brushes on ebay too instead of Amazon or Costco because the price is much better on ebay. I just looked up the last replacement brushes I bought late 2019 and they cost $14.95 for 8 name brand "Oral B" replacements. A quick look on Costco.com $50 for 9 brushes, same as what I get on ebay - ridiculous mark-up.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

*deleted
Last edited by Superleaf444 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

You can buy an electric toothbrush that syncs with your phone via an app. No, I'm not kidding.

A friend of mine who is a dentist told me that Oral B and Sonicare are both good. I'd say get another Oral B so that you can use the brushes that you already have.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Our dentist said to take our pick, Oral B or Sonicare. Our orthodontist specified Sonicare.
Nothing to say, really.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

My dentist is much happier since I switched from a standard Oral-B spin-brush to Sonicare.

If you do buy another Oral-B get a model with sonic function as well.
rmdashrfsplat

Post by rmdashrfsplat »

Sonicare two-packs on sale at Costco this month
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

My first Sonicare lasted almost 20 years before it stopped holding a charge. I promptly bought another one and have continued to be happy.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 am Our Sonicare is 19 years old.
When it dies I am going to Costco to buy a new one.

+1
anoop

Post by anoop »

I switched to a manual toothbrush several years ago because I didn't like the vibration of the electric ones and my teeth were getting overly sensitive. But using an electric did teach me how to brush correctly so I work on each 1/2 of a quadrant for 30 secs.
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

Another vote for Sonicare. Been using Sonicares more than 10 years. Purchased from Costco. Basic model. Highly recommended. I think it was $100 for set of 2 about 5 years ago
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Oral B from Costco
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am I used an old oral b electric toothbrush for many years and it stopped working few months ago. As in stop charging. Back then electric toothbrushes were expensive, like a hundred dollars or so and now when i check amazon, im shocked at how low the prices are and the great reviews of these.
If you are a little handy, it is not difficult to replace the Oral B's battery, although for obvious reasons P&G / Gillette / Braun /Oral B do not want customers to do this. I replaced the battery inside my ~2011 model about 3 years ago and the battery still lasts well over a week without charging, which is better than it was when the Oral B toothbrush was purchased in 2011. There is a great guide for doing this online, see toothbrushbattery.com for the steps and youtube if you prefer video.

You can buy the equivalent NiMH battery on Amazon or your favorite e-commerce website.

Even if you do not replace the battery and want to throw it away PLEASE do not throw the Oral B toothbrush in the garbage with its NiMH battery still inside. On the charger plug, there is a socket fitting that connects to the bottom of the toothbrush. Give it a twist and slide out the board. You can then responsibly dispose the battery at Lowes, Home Depot, or your favorite place to recycle batteries.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I've used both Oral B and Sonicare, equally satisfied with both in terms of price, performance and durability. Both are heavily recommended by dentists and hygienists. A minor point of preference for some - Oral B has a round head and Sonicare has a more oval-shaped head. But I can make either work just as well, myself and don't have any real preference between these two brands.

There has been a feature explosion since the early days of these products and their predecessors. Everything from various heads to Bluetooth connectivity. The two simple features that I've found most beneficial myself - quadrant timer (keeps me from cheating when I'm sleepy) and a few different modes to handle sensitivity. Both are common and cheap. Since switching from manual toothbrush years ago, I've realized a tremendous benefit in my dental health.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I've had both Oral-B and Sonicare. Somewhat prefer the Sonicare. I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZHP1GG/.

Just checked -- I've had it 4 years and 3 months. Bought replacement brushes a couple of times. Have not even thought about replacing the device itself. It's been working great since the day I got it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Toothbr ... 381&sr=8-4

Does anyone know why so many people recommend and like this one? Its so cheap and there are tons of good reviews on it.

Obviously never heard of this brand before but everyone seem to say its great. I mean... would the replacement heads it come with not be good quality like the one you buy with oral b?
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I've been using the Braun/Oral B for 25 years, I just replaced my first one after 23 or so years of use, and the cheapest model (Vitality $20 rechargeable) does basically the same thing the one did 25 years ago, it just has an on/off switch, though it doesn't have the light to tell you it's charging. And I don't need to pay $40 more for a charging light and timer (I don't need a microprocessor to tell me when to stop brushing), and that stuff probably just introduces things that can go wrong. I buy the replacement heads on Amazon.

I haven't had any dental problems whatsoever since using it, but I floss too, and don't drink pop and don't put sugar in the coffee (which I suspect would be more of an issue than what toothbrush you use). Kind of akin to ordering a diet soda, and then saying, "oh, and can you supersize that".
mkc

Post by mkc »

waltman300 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:37 am
Does anyone know why so many people recommend and like this one? Its so cheap and there are tons of good reviews on it.

Obviously never heard of this brand before but everyone seem to say its great.
Fails Reviewmeta and Fakespot for suspicious (likely fake) reviews
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

As others, Sonicare would be the only one I'd recommend. I have had it for 10+ years, and have dropped it dozens of times onto the floor. Still runs perfectly fine. I think they realized, economically, if they make the base last then they can ensure recurring revenue with the heads. Whereas if the base is flimsy, I'd be more inclined to change brands altogether.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

I'll add to the chorus: Sonicaire.

DW and I both started using Sonicaire about 15 years ago on the recommendation of our new dentist because our gums and periodontal health were quite poor. It has made a tremendous difference. The modest cost is well worth it.
Thales

Post by Thales »

Sonicare
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

tm3 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 am You can buy an electric toothbrush that syncs with your phone via an app. No, I'm not kidding.

A friend of mine who is a dentist told me that Oral B and Sonicare are both good. I'd say get another Oral B so that you can use the brushes that you already have.
My Dentist sells the Oral B at the office. She too, said both methods clean very well, there isn't one that is "better". I'm on my 2nd Sonicare handle spanning 18 years. Replacement brushes I get at BBB or at the local HBA store.

Also noticed that I'm a Philips guy, Norelco electric razor (current is 8 years old) and have a Philips BP machine. Replacement blades at BBB or HBA store.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

mtwhmemn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 am Oral B works well for us. Purchased new on ebay. I buy replacement brushes on ebay too instead of Amazon or Costco because the price is much better on ebay. I just looked up the last replacement brushes I bought late 2019 and they cost $14.95 for 8 name brand "Oral B" replacements. A quick look on Costco.com $50 for 9 brushes, same as what I get on ebay - ridiculous mark-up.
What on earth. I've been buying high priced name brand oral-b from the store all these years because I assumed ebay was only good for off-brand ones which I've found to be poor quality.

This is so much cheaper, thanks for posting! I assume these are genuine? Any particular seller you'd recommend where does anyone with a high rating pretty much guarantee that what you get won't be a fake?
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Okay so do others agree that those reviews are mostly fake then for that other unknown brand electric toothbrush which has so many good reviews?

Okay so people say oral b or sonicare. I went to amazon and there are lot of it... but would it be fine on something that is not that expensive? I see some that are l00 dollars plus etc. I also see an oral b vitality that is only twenty dollars.

Also anyway to try to fix or repair my old oral b electric toothbrush? Again, months ago... it stopped charging... but then a week or two later it charged... then a bit later... it stopped working etc. I think the most likely culprit is i didnt really keep it clean in the bottom part since i sometimes had water in that part where you connect the toothbrush to the other piece?
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

DetroitRick wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am I've used both Oral B and Sonicare, equally satisfied with both in terms of price, performance and durability. Both are heavily recommended by dentists and hygienists. A minor point of preference for some - Oral B has a round head and Sonicare has a more oval-shaped head. But I can make either work just as well, myself and don't have any real preference between these two brands.

There has been a feature explosion since the early days of these products and their predecessors. Everything from various heads to Bluetooth connectivity. The two simple features that I've found most beneficial myself - quadrant timer (keeps me from cheating when I'm sleepy) and a few different modes to handle sensitivity. Both are common and cheap. Since switching from manual toothbrush years ago, I've realized a tremendous benefit in my dental health.
Very much second those two features to be the only most beneficial ones.

Btw, Oral-B also has an oval head as an option among its several models of brush heads to choose from.
Norwegianwood

Post by Norwegianwood »

Swansea wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 am I have used the base line Oral B and get great check ups.
I was a longtime Sonicare user but switched to an Oral-B last year. Had a great dental checkup recently.
“If you don’t know where you’re going you might wind up someplace else” - Yogi Berra
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I'd buy another cheap Oral-B electric that you can get at your local supermarket and throw it away and buy a different brand if you decide you don't like it (comfort, noise, whatever).

From the research I did years ago on this topic, they are all essentially just as effective at reducing your risk of dental issues, despite all the hype.

The only meaningful factor regarding preventing dental disease down the road is how good are your dental hygiene habits, not whether you have a thousand dollar or a ten dollar electric toothbrush. (FWIW, my fiancee has an expensive one that she received as a gift...I tried it and the way it vibrates feels to me like chalk squeaking on a blackboard. I prefer my cheap Oral-B).
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

waltman300 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:37 am https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Toothbr ... 381&sr=8-4

Obviously never heard of this brand before but everyone seem to say its great. I mean... would the replacement heads it come with not be good quality like the one you buy with oral b?

I made the mistake of buying this 'Fairywill' knockoff electric toothbrush after having used Sonicare for years.

I do stuff like this sometimes, I buy a cheaper model of something that I don't think is that important to me. Sometimes it works, like the no-name water-pik type device I bought, but sometimes it's a fail as was this Fairywill toothbrush.

It might seem fine if you've never used Sonicare, but trust me - it's a sad version of the Sonicare brush. Specifically, the lack of brush power. It felt like half of what the Sonicare brush had, and definitely lacking. Doesn't matter that they give you all the attachments - the lack of power is a dealbreaker.

Just get the Sonicare (or Oral-B). My Sonicare lasted so long (15+years) that I finally threw it out, not because it didn't hold a charge or didn't work, but it was so old that the plastic was turning dirty yellow on the edges. Yeah, I threw out a perfectly good Sonicare. But I did replace it with another one after the Fairywill fail, and all is good again.

I'm not exaggerating here, either. I strongly suspect many of those Fairywill reviews are fake, or else a huge number of them have no idea what a 'good' electric toothbrush feels like so they think it's the bomb. Again, the difference is really noticeable, this isn't just a small preference.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

The best sonicare that Costco sells
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff »

I've been a satisfied user of the Sonicare for years, but there's an issue that might make me rethink my next toothbrush brand. I find the compact brush heads are easier to use and reach places that the standard size head doesn't. The problem is that the compact heads are getting almost impossible to find. Anywhere. None of the bigger stores where I live carry them. Amazon only seems to have the foreign knockoffs. Even the Philips site says they are no longer available. Nothing on eBay, either.

I was able to find replacements at one online retailer the last time I needed them, but I have a feeling they're leftover stock and have to believe they won't last long there.

I used to use the Oral B before switching to Sonicare and I always thought it did a decent job, plus the little round brush head was a good fit, so when my current brush meets its maker, I'll have to take a long look at going back to the Oral B.
Jacotus

Post by Jacotus »

waltman300 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:49 pm Okay so do others agree that those reviews are mostly fake then for that other unknown brand electric toothbrush which has so many good reviews?
Amazon has an absolutely massive problem with fake reviews. Both positive reviews and negative reviews (e.g. from competitors).
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Been using a Quip toothbrush and like it. Basically turns into a subscription for replacement heads/battery every 3 months.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Sonicare rechargeable from Costco is by far the best I have had

Bought the Quip 2 pack - returned it after 2 days since one did not work at all, and the one that turned on did not seem to do as good a job as any other I had...
- Have used Oral B rechargeable, a few cheap drugstore type that need replacement batteries and the Quip
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

veggivet wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:46 am Nothing beats Sonicare.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I think an under 30 dollar Sonicare available on Amazon would work ok. I prefer the Sonicare to other electric toothbrushes.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:49 am Sonicare rechargeable from Costco is by far the best I have had

Bought the Quip 2 pack - returned it after 2 days since one did not work at all, and the one that turned on did not seem to do as good a job as any other I had...
- Have used Oral B rechargeable, a few cheap drugstore type that need replacement batteries and the Quip

Is it available costco online or only at brick and mortar? Do you have full name of that sonicare toothbrush?
JPH

Post by JPH »

Arguably the most important function of a toothbrush is to deliver some fluoride to the teeth a couple times a day. Any toothbrush will do that. They also remove plaque which also is important. Research shows the counter-rotational or the oscillating-rotating movement is best for removing plaque. Electric toothbrushes are at least as good as manual ones. The flaw with most of the research is that they measure only plaque removal, which is not a real health outcome. This site gives a lot of information. https://www.animated-teeth.com/electric ... rushes.htm
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I strongly recommend the Oro-Dent.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/acb8e921-7 ... 7fa364a2ec

Comes well-protected in an oversized box.

Gift it to a friend today!
z91

Post by z91 »

Sonicare. Nothing else comes close. The only thing is that the batteries don't last forever. They either stop holding a charge, or die due to water intrusion, so they are not a "BIFL" in that sense. They are great when in warranty though. The one time I used their warranty, they simply sent me a new one once I provided them with my serial number.

If you really want to penny pinch you could just go to Costco/Sams Club and return it (assuming you bought it there) using their satisfaction guarantee, but I personally just buy a two-pack and call it a day for a few years.

Brush heads can be expensive, but they are worth buying the legitimate ones. Don't buy knockoffs.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

waltman300 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:44 pm
Saving$ wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:49 am Sonicare rechargeable from Costco is by far the best I have had

Is it available costco online or only at brick and mortar? Do you have full name of that sonicare toothbrush?
Both. It is $70 for two.
https://www.costco.com/philips-sonicare ... 45621.html
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

So I found out apparently we have one of these in the closet that has been there for years that are still new and unopened

https://www.amazon.com/Interplak-Opti-C ... B00C4A4E7Y

Would you say use this for now and see how it is? I mean an electric toothbrush is still an electric toothbrush right?
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Okay so i tried this toothbrush that i linked recently. The brushhead seems to be very thin compard to the oral b one i bought years ago. I also am not sure how long it takes to charge because i charged few hours and it lasted at most two minutes. But not only that, it didn't feel that comfortable or something like the brushhead.

Does anyone here prefer the oral b brushhead because they are much more oval and bigger? I checked and sonicare seem to be very thin as well.. the brushhead?

So i should i just stick with this non name electric toothbrush or just get a oral b or sonicare one? Also i see some oral b toothbrushes like the vitaliity is only twenty dollars. But should i stay away from those? I mean whats the big different between that oral b and a one that is 50 dollars vs l00 dollars? I do want one where it shows you a light... like okay you brushing way too hard etc.. that is what my old oral b one had.

Also i do have a few oral b replacehead heads as well so a part of me want to get oral b electric toothbrush as oppose to say sonicare.

Also is it normal for these electric toothbrushes to not show when its done charging? The one im charging now, i have no clue how many hours it take to even charge etc.

And is it possible if its a bad electric toothbrush, it makes your teeth worst etc? Again i used the one i had in the link for short time and it didn't feel that comfortable.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

anoop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:55 am I switched to a manual toothbrush several years ago because I didn't like the vibration of the electric ones and my teeth were getting overly sensitive. But using an electric did teach me how to brush correctly so I work on each 1/2 of a quadrant for 30 secs.
Reportedly the most important feature of an electric toothbrush is the timer.