Car in Hawaii For One Year

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Car in Hawaii For One Year

Post by Leesbro63 »

A close relative is going to Hawaii for 1 year for work. His employer will pay to ship his Pennsylvania-registered car both ways.

Hawaii says he can do that and maintain his PA registration for that period, but must have front and back license plates. PA only issues one (rear) plate.

What’s the easiest solution?

EDIT: The employer is the Federal Government. It's use it (pay to ship car) or lose it. There is no negotiating of "cash instead".
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awval999

Re: Car in Hawaii For One Year

Post by awval999 »

Register car in Hawaii
SteelyEyed

Post by SteelyEyed »

I was there for three years and I'm from a rear-plate-only state. There were a lot of mainlanders there (military). I never once heard of them enforcing that rule.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

How much does it cost to ship a car both ways between PA and Hawaii? That's gotta be at least $5000+. You might ask if the company is willing to pay the equivalent in cash. Takeover a car lease on a new-ish car for 1 year. Avoid exposing the personal car to corrosive salty air...
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Related question: The car won’t be needed after the 1 year in Hawaii. It’s a 2014 Corolla in good shape. A friend insists it will fetch a lot more if sold in Hawaii. I’m skeptical.

Do used cars fetch more in Hawaii than apples to apples same cars on the mainland?
KCjoe

Post by KCjoe »

My daughter was a travel nurse and took positions in Hawaii twice. Each time she bought a old used car over there. Evidently there is quite a few people who find themselves in that situation, so there is a good supply and plenty of demand to sell when you are done with your year. This was approximately 10 years ago.

I visited her once and she and her travel nurse roommate had an old Lincoln sedan with a massive V8. Rough due to the cost of gas there, but a fun old car to drive.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

KCjoe wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm My daughter was a travel nurse and took positions in Hawaii twice. Each time she bought a old used car over there. Evidently there is quite a few people who find themselves in that situation, so there is a good supply and plenty of demand to sell when you are done with your year. This was approximately 10 years ago.
I'd guess the car rental industry is producing a lot of used cars in Hawaii.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I like the idea of seeing if the employer will pay cash. Sell Corolla here. Figure it out there, once there.
Uniswap

Post by Uniswap »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:02 pm Related question: The car won’t be needed after the 1 year in Hawaii. It’s a 2014 Corolla in good shape. A friend insists it will fetch a lot more if sold in Hawaii. I’m skeptical.

Do used cars fetch more in Hawaii than apples to apples same cars on the mainland?
No. There is a junkyard at Pearl Harbor full of used cars that people abandoned presumably due to cost of shipping off the island.
tj

Post by tj »

I bought a used car from Hertz when i moved to Maui. I shipped it to mainland and I can sell it for more than I bought it even with more miles.

I wouldn't bother shipping from east coast to HI, I guess if the employer will pay for it it's not a big deal. If PA doesn't do front license plates, I don't see how HI could enforce that you need one.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Just ask Higgins if you can borrow the Ferrari...
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 am A close relative is going to Hawaii for 1 year for work. His employer will pay to ship his Pennsylvania-registered car both ways.

Hawaii says he can do that and maintain his PA registration for that period, but must have front and back license plates. PA only issues one (rear) plate.

Where in Hawaii? Some parts downtown there will be no need for a car. I lived there for 8 years. No uber, Lyft back then and I got by OK on the bus, but you can really only do that in some areas. Location will matter.

For one year, I would not ship. I'd buy a beater with the money they give to ship or use a mix of public transportation & ride sharing.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 am A close relative is going to Hawaii for 1 year for work. His employer will pay to ship his Pennsylvania-registered car both ways.

Register the car in Hawaii. They will give you 2 Hawaii license plates. Notice in Hawaii that are very few out of state license plates.
Military newly stationed in Hawaii do the same for their cars.

The alternative is to buy a used car in Hawaii for that time but they are indeed used and priced high.

Hawaii resident.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I don't know, but would assume that insurance would be cheaper in Hawaii. I think that because there's little chance that you're going to slide on ice into another car and hurt them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
midareff

Post by midareff »

Photostat enshrined in a plastic shield?.
goonie

Post by goonie »

Tell Hawaii that PA only issues a rear plate and ask what they want him to do. They may backtrack and be fine with just the rear PA plate. If they want him to register it in Hawaii, then just register it in Hawaii.

Obviously, not bringing it is the alternative. That requires a few things though...

- either sell the car or keep it at a relative or friend's house
- if selling it, he will have to buy one when he returns
- if keeping it, figure out what to do with the insurance and registration on it
- either way, he'll have to lease or buy (and later sell) a car in Hawaii (side note: there's no way I'm living in Hawaii for a year without a car that I can use anytime I want to go exploring)

I lean toward bringing the car with and then shipping it back to PA when done. That seems like the least amount of hassle.
Last edited by goonie on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

I’d say don’t worry about it. No front plate is rarely enforced, and usually only to pull over suspicious persons. Worst case, it’s a fix-it ticket. If he does get pulled over for that, an explanation of the circumstances will likely will resolve the issue, and there’s also a good chance the officer will understand PA only issues one plate. The main thing is he’s in compliance with Hawaii’s vehicle registration law, which it sounds like he will be.

Edit: I also agree that shipping the vehicles to HI for one year seems excessive, even if the employer is paying for it. I’d definitely negotiate with the employer ref. other options. Also, registering the vehicle back in to PA may have issues. Not worth it for one year.
jgt808

Post by jgt808 »

Replying from Maui. Been here almost 30 yrs and work with a ton of traveling nurses. Get one here if you staying over a year. $1200 to ship from west coast to HNL, so PA to outisland will be crazy imo. The price he/she will pay for yearly registration ($250-300)/current safety check (cheap, but it has to pass) plus the time involved in the DMV and getting the car legal...pay for a used car that's current. Lotsa cars on CL and facebook marketplace. Get a car for $3-4k w/ a newish registration in place and current safety sticker and be good. The less the better. I came with a mtn bike and a suitcase and figured it out. The other option is making a deal with a local to rent long term. That way, they pay the registration and deal with repairs. my 2Cents

edit: sorry I see the company will pay....so 1) do whatever is easy 2) pocket the money they would pay and buy an island cruiser (which is what alot of nurses do. They just pass the car onto the next traveler who arrives)

Also, the comments about telling officer about the 1 plate...I certainly would never say that. Hawaii police don't care, it's Hawaii and it's our laws. A comment like that guarantees a ticket from a visitor who thinks that the rules don't apply to them. Like the bumper stickers say, "This ain't the mainland".
Last edited by jgt808 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

goonie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:53 pm there's no way I'm living in Hawaii for a year without a car that I can use anytime I want to go exploring)
Hawaii is just not that big to explore. Depending upon you location, bus rideshare is all that is needed, and rental cars can be had for exploring. It is also likely that a few of this persons work colleagues will have cars and offer to tour them around which can be reciprocated in a rental even cutting that cost even more.

If you don't surf there is only so much you can do on the North Shore and you can swim everywhere.

I shipped my car home from Hawaii and it was a hassle. Had to go down to Matson very early, inspections, it was a very long ordeal as I recall. Wouldn't do it again.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

ncbill wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:24 pm Just ask Higgins if you can borrow the Ferrari...
Lol. Now that was funny.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 pm
ncbill wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:24 pm Just ask Higgins if you can borrow the Ferrari...
Lol. Now that was funny.
Agreed! +1
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 pm
Lol. Now that was funny.
Higgins is fictional, but maybe Sandtrap would loan him a car.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
jgt808

Post by jgt808 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:02 pm Related question: The car won’t be needed after the 1 year in Hawaii. It’s a 2014 Corolla in good shape. A friend insists it will fetch a lot more if sold in Hawaii. I’m skeptical.

Only if they are lifted 4x4 Tacomas...
goonie

Post by goonie »

anonsdca wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:09 pm
goonie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:53 pm there's no way I'm living in Hawaii for a year without a car that I can use anytime I want to go exploring)
Hawaii is just not that big to explore. Depending upon you location, bus rideshare is all that is needed, and rental cars can be had for exploring. It is also likely that a few of this persons work colleagues will have cars and offer to tour them around which can be reciprocated in a rental even cutting that cost even more.

If you don't surf there is only so much you can do on the North Shore and you can swim everywhere.

I shipped my car home from Hawaii and it was a hassle. Had to go down to Matson very early, inspections, it was a very long ordeal as I recall. Wouldn't do it again.
I'm pretty active and like a lot of different sports/activities (beach and water, hiking, mountain biking, golf, tennis, etc). If I found good spots for different things, I'd want the option to go back as much as I desired.
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:42 pm

Register the car in Hawaii. They will give you 2 Hawaii license plates. Notice in Hawaii that are very few out of state license plates.
Military newly stationed in Hawaii do the same for their cars.

The alternative is to buy a used car in Hawaii for that time but they are indeed used and priced high.

Hawaii resident.
j :D
Register the car in Hawaii or leave it on the mainland and buy an island beater on arrival. There are pros and cons to both.

There is an exception to the requirement to register your car when you are there with the military. I don't know if that also applies to federal employees, but friends of mine who were federal employees in Hawaii got HI plates because it's simpler and their vehicles then don't "stand out" as much.* Most military folks register their cars in Hawaii anyway even though they can keep their home state plates, unless they're really proud of displaying just how Texas they are.
Even if your relative is exempted from registering their car in Hawaii, they still have to do the safety check and have HI insurance and get the blue sticker (I believe from the DMV) that states that they're exempted from getting HI plates. In the end, I don't think it's any easier to keep their PA plates, but they will save the extra $200-$300 in registration fees, which allegedly go to keeping the roads nice. IMHO, I'm not sure it's wisely spent with the quality of roads in HI. I never heard of someone who had out of state plates ever having an issue with having only one license plate on their vehicle. That's not something I would worry about. That's not the reason you would be pulled over or ticketed by the police (my opinion -- lived in Hawaii 10+ years).

*My car had HI plates and still got broken into because I left a backpack (with workout clothes inside) in my back seat. I'm not sure the license plate matters as much in terms of "standing out" because the people breaking into cars aren't checking out license plates when deciding which cars to bust the windows on to grab stuff inside. The police aren't looking at your license plate with their radar when catching you driving mainland speeds on Hawaiian roads, which are generally 10-15mph slower than their mainland counterparts.

As someone postulated earlier, I can't say that Hawaiian auto insurance is any cheaper -- much more goes into the rate than whether or not ice is present for part of the year. Cars get broken into with astonishing frequency, and lately thefts of catalytic converters (and the entire muffler) have been on the rise, and there are always accidents on H-1 -- every single day.

For a year, you can buy a 5-10 year old Toyota or Honda sedan for $3-$4k on the secondary market and sell it for probably close to the same amount when departing.

Transit-wise, it can take 3-6 weeks (my experience) to get a vehicle to/from Hawaii. Consider that your relative will need to borrow or rent a car during that time, either on the front end or back end. The VPC in Honolulu is easy. I had the hardest time shipping the car from the VPC (vehicle processing center) in Los Angeles -- they were exceptionally picky about having the vehicle absolutely spotless inside and outside.

So... there are pros and cons. Personally, for just a year, I would probably just buy a car on the secondary market there, that is to say, not from a dealership but from a person via Facebook marketplace. Craigslist isn't used very much IMHO for buying/selling vehicles.
Afty

Post by Afty »

KBB says a 2014 Corolla is worth about $300 more in Honolulu vs. Philadelphia.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

I’d register the car in Hawaii just to be able to have a Hawaii license plate to display on my garage wall someday.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Buy a used Tacoma (or 4Runner) and bring it over. Enjoy it for a year and then sell it for more than you paid.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
DeskJumper

Post by DeskJumper »

Unless the person is really attached to that car, I would probably sell it and buy something used over there. I was stationed on Oahu for 3 years in military service and did just that, however I did take advantage of the free shipping when I returned to the mainland. As another poster pointed out, going down to the Matson docks in Honolulu is a big hassle but I wanted to keep the car so I got it done.

A few things about owning a car in Hawaii one should know:

-In my experience, the used car market was expensive compared to other places, especially for anything 4x4 or pickup truck. Those vehicles are coveted in the islands.
-You will need to pass safety inspections on an annual basis, so for a 1 year stay buying a car with a new or recent safety is advisable.
-Hawaii is a no-fault state for insurance, so premiums may be higher than you are used to.
-Registration and titling of a car is a quick and mostly painless experience. You go to a small Satellite City Hall and they print your new title on the spot. No waiting for the mail.
-License plates belong to the vehicle forever, not to the owner, so no need to buy new plates when you get a car.
-Gas prices have always been much more expensive than on the mainland, as with everything else in a place so dependent on imported goods.
-If one is in government, you may be able to access the many military bases on the island which have used car lots, affectionately called "Lemon Lots" where you can buy and sell cars. The best one was on Hickam AFB at Pearl Harbor when I was there.
-Lastly, one needs to watch their speed. In Hawaii, going over 80mph and/or 30 mph over the posted speed limit is a serious offense which can land you in jail.
tj

Post by tj »

DeskJumper wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm Unless the person is really attached to that car, I would probably sell it and buy something used over there. I was stationed on Oahu for 3 years in military service and did just that, however I did take advantage of the free shipping when I returned to the mainland. As another poster pointed out, going down to the Matson docks in Honolulu is a big hassle but I wanted to keep the car so I got it done.

A few things about owning a car in Hawaii one should know:

-In my experience, the used car market was expensive compared to other places, especially for anything 4x4 or pickup truck. Those vehicles are coveted in the islands.
-You will need to pass safety inspections on an annual basis, so for a 1 year stay buying a car with a new or recent safety is advisable.
-Hawaii is a no-fault state for insurance, so premiums may be higher than you are used to.
-Registration and titling of a car is a quick and mostly painless experience. You go to a small Satellite City Hall and they print your new title on the spot. No waiting for the mail.
-License plates belong to the vehicle forever, not to the owner, so no need to buy new plates when you get a car.
-Gas prices have always been much more expensive than on the mainland, as with everything else in a place so dependent on imported goods.
-If one is in government, you may be able to access the many military bases on the island which have used car lots, affectionately called "Lemon Lots" where you can buy and sell cars. The best one was on Hickam AFB at Pearl Harbor when I was there.
-Lastly, one needs to watch their speed. In Hawaii, going over 80mph and/or 30 mph over the posted speed limit is a serious offense which can land you in jail.
My Hawaii auto insurance premiums were actually significantly cheaper than Arizona!
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

An off-topic comment and reply about federal government use of money has been deleted. Please stay on topic.
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

Register the car or buy/sell a used car for the year. Shipping the car, rental is needed at some point, need to safety check twice and go in to register vehicle. If they're moving soon, the problem has been getting into dmv to do transactions since it's all by appointment now. Used car still gotta shop and likely go in to transfer registration (during covid they're allowing mail in transfers) though if you buy at a dealership they may do it for you. Just have to deal with selling later and may not be cheapest option but possibly the easiest option. Certainly wouldn't try to find a work around or expect special treatment or any sympathy for not having the front plate. I'm skeptical about used car prices too, not sure what he bases that on, unless he has a tacoma.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

jgt808 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:33 pm

DH and I have talked about buying a stock 5-8 year old low to average mileage Tacoma shipping it to the big island to drive there and help subsidize the trip. The big island is more car intensive. Lots of places have no sidewalks and are not suited to biking either.
goonie

Post by goonie »

Last night I skimmed a few articles/blog posts and watched a few short Youtube videos on used cars in Hawaii (I was bored, ok?). Seems that used cars there are generally more expensive than the mainland and the cars are in worse shape (due in large part to the salt air, sun, humidity, and bad roads). Several people mentioned how they wish they would have shipped their cars over when moving there. I didn't save links but I suggest researching it if anyone is ever thinking of going that route.

I see the original post was edited yesterday to say that the car shipping option is use it or lose it. I'd have a hard time passing that up as long as I had a secure, cheap place to park the car close to where I'm living.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

To head off the next question if you decide to register the vehicle in Hawaii and it doesn't have a place to mount the front license plate, you can buy license plate mounting kits off Amazon. I had to do that for my elderly grandparents when they moved north from a rear license plate state to our two license plate state. Took me all of five minutes to install.
goonie

Post by goonie »

mnnice wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:04 pm
jgt808 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:33 pm

DH and I have talked about buying a stock 5-8 year old low to average mileage Tacoma shipping it to the big island to drive there and help subsidize the trip. The big island is more car intensive. Lots of places have no sidewalks and are not suited to biking either.
I'm thinking about doing something similar one day. When I get to a point where I'm ready to get rid of my car and buy a replacement...ship my car to Hawaii, go spend a few months there using my car to get around, and then sell it when I'm getting ready to leave. When I return home, go car shopping.

Not saying I would make much more selling it there vs here but one way shipping might be worth it for a few months of use. Cheaper than renting a car for that length of time.