Wife New Car - Used Market Non Ideal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
aadwen

Wife New Car - Used Market Non Ideal

Post by aadwen »

Good morning,
Typically we would be looking for a 3 year old vehicle with ~60k miles and get a great deal.

In a minivan now and want to live up to a large SUV like a Palisaide, Telluride. Expedition etc.

Have kids and need space to travel.

Any advice in this market?

Is new the way to go when used prices are this high?

Thanks!
Flyer24

Re: Wife New Car - Used Market Non Ideal

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

aadwen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 am Good morning,
Typically we would be looking for a 3 year old vehicle with ~60k miles and get a great deal.

In a minivan now and want to live up to a large SUV like a Palisaide, Telluride. Expedition etc.

Thanks!
I don't think prices are "this high" for the kinds of vehicles you want, because those types of vehicles have always depreciated very slowly. Even years ago when I looked for one, I didn't see any "great deals." Of course there are always vehicles that depreciate faster, but I'm guessing you've chosen the models you have for the same reasons everyone else does - which is why they don't depreciate very rapidly. In any case, I would skip the advice for "this market" and just be careful not to pay as much for used as for new.

The pandemic has increased prices somewhat, but unless your minivan is broken I don't see any rush to "upgrade", given that travel will be problematic for some time to come. Frankly for kids and space I don't think you're upgrading when you replace a minivan with almost any other type of vehicle.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

if gas mileage is not an issue, nothing will beat a 2500 or 3500 suburban.

https://drivetribe.com/p/yes-chevrolet- ... ilBzqOFM1A

I own a Yukon XL 2500 6.0L Quadrasteer 4.10 gears. (the unicorn)
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 am if gas mileage is not an issue, nothing will beat a 2500 or 3500 suburban.

I own a 2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Quadrasteer 4.10 gears. (the unicorn)
You do realize that GM SUVs haven't been made in the >1500 class for something like a decade at least? Do we have any votes for a Travelall?
Last edited by tibbitts on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soon2BXProgrammer

tibbitts wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:51 am
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 am if gas mileage is not an issue, nothing will beat a 2500 or 3500 suburban.

You do realize that GM SUVs haven't been made in the >1500 class for something like a decade at least?
They have been sold as fleet vehicles.. you just have to know where to look. 2019 was the last model year with some deliveries going into 2020. Which meets the ops need for a 3 year old vehicle.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am

You do realize that GM SUVs haven't been made in the >1500 class for something like a decade at least?
They have been sold as fleet vehicles.. you just have to know where to look. 2019 was the last year. which meets the ops need for a 3 year old vehicle.
I had no idea but now you're going to have to tell exactly where the OP can buy one that's been reasonably lightly used. Saying "know where to ask" ... seriously?
Soon2BXProgrammer

tibbitts wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:55 am
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am

They have been sold as fleet vehicles.. you just have to know where to look. 2019 was the last year. which meets the ops need for a 3 year old vehicle.
I had no idea but now you're going to have to tell exactly where the OP can buy one that's been reasonably lightly used. Saying "know where to ask" ... seriously?
facebook = 2500 suburban group. people post all kinds of stuff, have to be patient. didn't mean to be dodgy, its no secret they exist, just most people don't realize they exist.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Why bother with a 2500 unless you have a need to tow heavy loads? You are spending a lot of money and adding a lot of hassle to your search for capability you will likely never need. A regular 1500 is plenty for towing a small boat or camper on an occasional basis. Only need the 2500 if you are doing serious hauling.

Anyhow, I'd first determine what size you need. There's the smaller 3 row crossover like the Highlander/Ascent/Pilot, and then there's the full size SUV like a Suburban. The former is going to be more fuel efficient and easier to park, the latter will have greater towing capacity and a bit more interior room. A family of 4 will have plenty of space in the former class, but a family of 6 would be cramped.

Minivans tend to actually have a bit more space than the 3 row SUV segment. There is generally more vertical space because the floor is lower. You will get a slightly longer rear cargo area in a Suburban than most vans.
Last edited by alfaspider on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

aadwen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 am In a minivan now and want to live up to a large SUV like a Palisaide, Telluride. Expedition etc.

You're not going to get significantly more space from a 3-row SUV than from a minivan, in many cases it'll be less space and harder to get in/out of compared to the minivan.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

Agree with those who say an SUV does not provide more room. I went from a Honda Odyssey to a Nissan Armada...way more stuff can fit into the minivan and the overall size of the Armada felt like it was 2X. Add to that the Armada could only seat 7 and the van held 8 people. Of course I can tow 10,000 pounds now....which will probably never happen.
andronikus

Post by andronikus »

Thanks!
I use cargurus price trends to see the state of used car prices, and they are indeed higher than a year ago.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/

I also follow some car brokers on facebook, and they recently posted some insane bidding wars on used cars, due to tax refund time and the incoming stimulus payments. (They are stocking up)

If I were shopping used, I would advise waiting until after summer.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

My sister just got an amazing deal on a 2-yr old CPO VW Atlas. Comfy, well equipped, and super light steering for the size of vehicle that it is.

Obviously VW reliability is a big issue, but with the giant warranty it has, she'll keep it until the first post-warranty check engine light, then trade it in. Not exactly sound financial advice, but where she lives, most used cars are abused - so finding a certified one was the way to go.
ras4250

Post by ras4250 »

used car prices are at all time highs:

Wholesale used vehicle prices (on a mix-, mileage-, and seasonally adjusted basis) increased 3.79% month-over-month in February. This brought the Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index to 169.2, a 17.9% increase from a year ago and a record high for the Index.

https://publish.manheim.com/en/services ... index.html
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

ras4250 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:50 am used car prices are at all time highs:

Wholesale used vehicle prices (on a mix-, mileage-, and seasonally adjusted basis) increased 3.79% month-over-month in February. This brought the Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index to 169.2, a 17.9% increase from a year ago and a record high for the Index.

https://publish.manheim.com/en/services ... index.html
Yup. At some point, something has to give though. It gets to the point that late model used vehicles are priced essentially the same as new ones.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

15 year old toyota tacoma are 12-15k, same with jeep wranglers . strange, better mercedes c-class are selling for 10-11k
Thanks!
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

manuvns wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am 15 year old toyota tacoma are 12-15k, same with jeep wranglers . strange, better mercedes c-class are selling for 10-11k
Supply and demand. People who want a work truck will buy an older vehicle that does the job but doesn't look pretty anymore. People that buy a Mercedes would never drive a "used" car. People looking for a cheap car of any type don't want Mercedes repair costs.

Yes, those are stereotypes that do not apply to everyone.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:41 am

Why bother with a 2500 unless you have a need to tow heavy loads? You are spending a lot of money and adding a lot of hassle to your search for capability you will likely never need. A regular 1500 is plenty for towing a small boat or camper on an occasional basis. Only need the 2500 if you are doing serious hauling.
The removal of the 2500/3500 GM and Ford SUVs from the market left a huge gap for towing even somewhat modest loads that hasn't been filled. Once you load up a 1500 with people and stuff you have almost no remaining effective towing capacity due to already being close to GVWR. The only real alternative is a 2500/3500 full-sized van - but they generally don't offer 4 wheel drive.
Last edited by tibbitts on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 am
manuvns wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am 15 year old toyota tacoma are 12-15k, same with jeep wranglers . strange, better mercedes c-class are selling for 10-11k
Supply and demand. People who want a work truck will buy an older vehicle that does the job but doesn't look pretty anymore. People that buy a Mercedes would never drive a "used" car. People looking for a cheap car of any type don't want Mercedes repair costs.

I find it interesting that some Mercedes vehicles are considered extremely reliable in other countries. If you go to Germany or many other European countries, they use E Class as a taxi, and they all run to 200k+ miles. What is missing are the complicated infotainment system, high tier engine (the lowest engine in the US is the best engine in some countries), and other bells and whistles. I think it would be pretty cool if we could buy a content removed kind of Mercedes for lower price in the US, since they are well engineered cars, and I don't need 400hp, voice recognition, or wood trim everywhere.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Anyhow, I'd first determine what size you need. There's the smaller 3 row crossover like the Highlander/Ascent/Pilot, and then there's the full size SUV like a Suburban. The former is going to be more fuel efficient and easier to park, the latter will have greater towing capacity and a bit more interior room. A family of 4 will have plenty of space in the former class, but a family of 6 would be cramped.

Minivans tend to actually have a bit more space than the 3 row SUV segment. There is generally more vertical space because the floor is lower. You will get a slightly longer rear cargo area in a Suburban than most vans.
As an example the the main differences (that matters) between the 1500 and the 2500 in the model I own that matters are the 6L is an all iron block.. the 6.2L Denali motor has an aluminum head. They have been known to melt under heavy load if you have cooling challenges.

The 2500 have a 'real' transmission vs the 1500.. I know people who have gone through multiple transmissions in the same mileage my 2500 has.

Basically, the 1500s are fine if they are 90% plus passenger vehicles and tow a utility trailer from time to time.

The 2500 also has a decidated transmission cooler.

I'm going to be shot for this analogy, but they are a perfect 'soccer mom's vehicle.

If you plan to beat the hell out of it, I'm advocating to buy the "truck" equivalent.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

hi_there wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am

I find it interesting that some Mercedes vehicles are considered extremely reliable in other countries. If you go to Germany or many other European countries, they use E Class as a taxi, and they all run to 200k+ miles. What is missing are the complicated infotainment system, high tier engine (the lowest engine in the US is the best engine in some countries), and other bells and whistles. I think it would be pretty cool if we could buy a content removed kind of Mercedes for lower price in the US, since they are well engineered cars, and I don't need 400hp, voice recognition, or wood trim everywhere.
current and previous generation of E350 and C300/C250 are very reliable and fun to drive , not sure why they are selling for cheap compared to japanese cars . Audi a6 3.0T supercharged is also a good one in used market .
Thanks!
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Thanks!
I have been driving for 50 + years and have owned a variety of new and used cars. For me, by far, the best value has been to buy new and drive the car for a minimum of ten years and 150,000 miles. Once maintenance costs begin mounting , and they will, rinse and repeat before they get out of hand.

When my daughters were teenagers we had a minivan and a Honda Civic. We have had three Civics now and some people pay more for one car than we did for our three Civics combined. So another thing that has worked for me is to avoid paying a premium for a luxury car but do buy something that meets your needs. For example I used to ride a tandem bicycle a lot with my daughter and we could just roll the big bike into our mini van without the need to carry it on a rack outside the car. I also found out that when the time came that you can fit a full dorm room into the back of a mini van.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

manuvns wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:18 am
hi_there wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am

current and previous generation of E350 and C300/C250 are very reliable and fun to drive , not sure why they are selling for cheap compared to japanese cars . Audi a6 3.0T supercharged is also a good one in used market .
Even if those Mercedes are relatively reliable, they are likely still not as reliable as a Japanese car. Lexus is on top of reliability surveys every year. I also suspect that when a Mercedes breaks, it is more expensive to repair, since German cars have more complicated mechanisms and designs that change more frequently. On top of that, perceived reliability is probably a big factor. So even if one specific Mercedes model is reliable, consumers still perceive it based on all the other unreliable models.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:15 am

As an example the the main differences (that matters) between the 1500 and the 2500 in the models that matters are the 6L is an all iron block.. the 6.2L Denali motor has an aluminum head. They have been known to melt under heavy load if you have cooling challenges.

The 2500 have a 'real' transmission vs the 1500.. I know people who have gone through multiple transmissions in the same mileage my 2500 has.

Basically, the 1500s are fine if they are 90% plus passenger vehicles and tow a utility trailer from time to time.

I'm going to be shot for this analogy, but they are a perfect 'soccer mom's vehicle.

If you plan to beat the hell out of it, I'm advocating to buy the "truck" equivalent.
It's surprising to me that there doesn't seem to be a thriving business in taking the equivalent GM and Ford trucks and converting them to SUVs. True the 1500s use some redesign in the rear suspension to make some extra room but I don't think that would really be necessary. Doesn't it seem that conversion would be almost trivial?
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

Is your minivan not big enough? In what ways? Just curious as I've always heard minivans were more convenient and comfortable than SUVs.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

supalong52 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 am Is your minivan not big enough? In what ways? Just curious as I've always heard minivans were more convenient and comfortable than SUVs.
The OP hasn't been back to answer since several of us have brought that up. Also two of the three vehicles he mentioned are relatively new and not even available as several years old with 60k miles.
Soon2BXProgrammer

tibbitts wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am

As an example the the main differences (that matters) between the 1500 and the 2500 in the models that matters are the 6L is an all iron block.. the 6.2L Denali motor has an aluminum head. They have been known to melt under heavy load if you have cooling challenges.

It's surprising to me that there doesn't seem to be a thriving business in taking the equivalent GM and Ford trucks and converting them to SUVs. True the 1500s use some redesign in the rear suspension to make some extra room but I don't think that would really be necessary. Doesn't it seem that conversion would be almost trivial?
I think what happens is most people buy a truck and call it a day. With family size shrinking having that many seats all the time isnt a necessity, (I have no evidence of this just what I see at our elementary school) I have seen lots of trucks and a second vehicle at camp grounds becomming common. (For when you need more the the 4 that fits in a crew cab)
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

If I'm not mistaken the powertrain warranty on the KIA and Hyundai is downgraded from 10 years / 100k miles to 5 years / 60k miles once the original owner sells it.

That combined with high used car prices would make me lean towards new. Either plan to keep it a little longer or go down in trim level if the sticker shock is too severe. Or both.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am

"It's surprising to me that there doesn't seem to be a thriving business in taking the equivalent GM and Ford trucks and converting them to SUVs."
There have always been conversion options but not in large numbers, here is one example...
https://www.motor1.com/news/347471/mode ... nversionn/
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

Thanks!
There was a research study done more than a few years ago that the best "bang for your buck" when it comes to used vehicles is to purchase a 10yo used car and drive it for five years. Rinse (sell) and repeat. At that age, you can still find some reliable vehicles and good prices. Just make sure you get a vehicle that conforms to any old or upcoming safety regulations (e.g. backup camera, etc.).
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

aadwen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 am In a minivan now and want to live up to a large SUV like a Palisaide, Telluride. Expedition etc.

Thanks!
Large SUVs are the rage right now. Finding a good used deal is going to be hard.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

02nz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:45 am

You're not going to get significantly more space from a 3-row SUV than from a minivan, in many cases it'll be less space and harder to get in/out of compared to the minivan.
This.
This point needs to be brought up more than whatever Suburban tangent this thread took a left turn on.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

As an example the the main differences (that matters) between the 1500 and the 2500 in the model I own that matters are the 6L is an all iron block.. the 6.2L Denali motor has an aluminum head. They have been known to melt under heavy load if you have cooling challenges.

The 1500s have a transmission cooler option. My father in law got over 350,000 miles on his original 1500 transmission before the truck was totaled by a uhaul running a red light.
Soon2BXProgrammer

surfstar wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm

This.
This point needs to be brought up more than whatever Suburban tangent this thread took a left turn on.
Atleast i didn't bring up the Suburbans with Duramax Diesel swaps in them:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 195076495/
$24k for a 2001 3/4 ton with 250k+ miles.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 pm
surfstar wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm

This.
Atleast i didn't bring up the Suburbans with Duramax Diesel swaps in them:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 195076495/
$24k for a 2001 3/4 ton with 250k+ miles.
Real good combination actually.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

This is so true. One can buy a gently used MB/BMW for a fraction of a Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi/etc...

The market may change, but for one that likes to purchase cars with 100% down plan a used luxury car that takes premium gas is a great value.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

If kids are still at home the answer is: buy another minivan.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

h82goslw wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:51 am Agree with those who say an SUV does not provide more room. I went from a Honda Odyssey to a Nissan Armada...way more stuff can fit into the minivan and the overall size of the Armada felt like it was 2X. Add to that the Armada could only seat 7 and the van held 8 people. Of course I can tow 10,000 pounds now....which will probably never happen.
Well the overall size of an Armada is 5” longer 1” wider than an Odyssey; so yeah it won’t hold much more stuff. It certainly shouldn’t feel 2X either.

On the other hand we drive a Suburban. It will hold a lot more stuff, comfortably seat 8 and still have a rear cargo area for stuff.

Oh, and it also tows a 23’ wake boat regularly.