What have you baked recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
elcadarj

Re: What have you baked recently?

Post by elcadarj »

It’s Christmas time, time for Stollen, Joy of Cooking recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/mem ... g-52565431
telemark

Post by telemark »

Aggression cookies, using an old family recipe that is all over the web. I used whole wheat flour, because it's what I had on hand, and they came out a bit drier and more crumbly than I expected. I wonder if adding some gluten would have made a difference.

Also, now that I have a food scale, measuring flour by volume just seems wrong :(
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

telemark wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:43 pm Also, now that I have a food scale, measuring flour by volume just seems wrong :(
Amen to that! :) I am hopeful that more and more recipes use grams instead of cup measurements. I often will skip over any baking recipe that has amounts in cups just because I don't feel like translating it all to grams.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Made these Chocolate crinkle cookies earlier this week:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... les-recipe

I liked them but I think if I make them again I'll use only 1 tsp of espresso powder. Using 2 tsp makes them taste more like coffee, which is not bad but it overpowers the chocolate flavor. Great texture!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I did Paul Hollywoods Rochefort and walnut bread yesterday. It came out well. But the sound of Rochefort and walnuts is better than the overall flavor. Not bad, but not as spectacular as it sounded.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Tartine sourdough country bread recipe as published in the New York Times. It’s a 2 day process but turned out wonderfully.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hot dog and baked beans in a casserole. Following an online recipe, I mixed in some chopped onions, ketchup, mustard, and worcestershire sauce.Topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
investingfun

Post by investingfun »

This is the best bread recipe. Our family LOVES this bread!

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... ead-recipe

I make it without these two ingredients:

1 tablespoon (8g) King Arthur Whole-Grain Bread Improver
1/2 cup (74g) Harvest Grains Blend
wander

Post by wander »

French Bread. Can't get real french breads from supermarkets.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

investingfun wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:58 am This is the best bread recipe. Our family LOVES this bread!

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... ead-recipe

I make it without these two ingredients:

1 tablespoon (8g) King Arthur Whole-Grain Bread Improver
1/2 cup (74g) Harvest Grains Blend
Thanks for the idea - I didn't know you could make a harvest grain bread. King Arthur also has a No-Knead version, which is what I do. Your recipe doesn't have the harvest grains, but it got me thinking to try.

I'm now using King Arthur Organic Bread Flour. I purchased a few bags last year when the supply chain dried up. It's $6.99 vs. $4.99 per 5 lb. bag, but I'm seeing a definite change in quality. The bread crumb is finer and has a better consistency.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ER2023

Post by ER2023 »

Made the most delicious Ricotta Pound Cake tonight. I've been making this cake for over 20 years, since I first had it at an Italian restaurant in Philly and begged for the recipe. Get rave reviews every time. I still have my written notes, but found the same recipe here: https://creative-culinary.com/ricotta-p ... ke-recipe/

The only difference is after I reduce the temp to 325, I bake for 40 minutes. Perfection.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Soft pretzels - Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels

I used my KitchenAid with a dough hook.

Watch the video to see how the pretzels are shaped. Mine didn't quite turn out like that.

Be sure to boil the pretzels with baking soda. This is an optional step, but I think it's mandatory to get the right flavor. Use a large pot, as the water will boil rapidly and result in a lot of foam. Cleanup wasn't that bad.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Baked jackfruit mochi muffin this morning. Inspired by this https://3jamigos.com/wp-content/cache/a ... index.html, added shredded jackfruit to the batter. Texturally interesting, flavour is good but it was a bit too sweet for breakfast food.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I've been making this No-Knead Honey Oatmeal Bread for past couple of years. Just made two loaves this morning. I make my own yogurt and strain it for thicker Greek Style Yogurt. Rather than using water, I use the Whey strained off the yogurt for the liquid in the bread. Soooo good, it gives the bread an even deeper sour-dough flare without the work of sour-dough. Give it a try.

Artisan Bread with Steve - Has many really good No-Knead Bread Recipes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI7TMiH-Wi8
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
noobogle

Post by noobogle »

After making buttermilk roast chicken, I was left with loads of buttermilk leftover. So then came the lemon cranberry ginger scones. And then the fig almond scones. Both are from King Arthur Baking recipes.
Maybe buttermilk biscuits next?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:00 pm I've been making this No-Knead Honey Oatmeal Bread for past couple of years. Just made two loaves this morning. I make my own yogurt and strain it for thicker Greek Style Yogurt. Rather than using water, I use the Whey strained off the yogurt for the liquid in the bread. Soooo good, it gives the bread an even deeper sour-dough flare without the work of sour-dough. Give it a try.

Thanks! I'll give the honey oatmeal bread a try. I use Artisan Steve's No-Knead bread technique with a pullman pan in a toaster oven (400 deg F for 40 minutes). Search this thread for my posts.
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:51 am Thanks for the idea - I didn't know you could make a harvest grain bread. King Arthur also has a No-Knead version, which is what I do. Your recipe doesn't have the harvest grains, but it got me thinking to try.

I'm now using King Arthur Organic Bread Flour. I purchased a few bags last year when the supply chain dried up. It's $6.99 vs. $4.99 per 5 lb. bag, but I'm seeing a definite change in quality. The bread crumb is finer and has a better consistency.
My local grocery store didn't stock harvest grains, so I'll have to put that recipe on the back burner.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I just watched my gf bake a lot of Christmas cookies and chocolate chip cookies today. I did sprinkle some colored sugar on them.

Yesterday we did a homemade pizza and in that I did half the work.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
skp

Post by skp »

Cherry cobbler
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

I have always been a baker, but normally I only bake a loaf of bread in a week. That is about all I have time for. This week, however, I bake my usual sourdough loaf, a cinnamon raisin sourdough loaf (as a gift) and a log cake for my grandmother's bday.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:34 pm
AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:00 pm I've been making this No-Knead Honey Oatmeal Bread for past couple of years. Just made two loaves this morning. I make my own yogurt and strain it for thicker Greek Style Yogurt. Rather than using water, I use the Whey strained off the yogurt for the liquid in the bread. Soooo good, it gives the bread an even deeper sour-dough flare without the work of sour-dough. Give it a try.

Thanks! I'll give the honey oatmeal bread a try. I use Artisan Steve's No-Knead bread technique with a pullman pan in a toaster oven (400 deg F for 40 minutes). Search this thread for my posts.
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:51 am Thanks for the idea - I didn't know you could make a harvest grain bread. King Arthur also has a No-Knead version, which is what I do. Your recipe doesn't have the harvest grains, but it got me thinking to try.

My local grocery store didn't stock harvest grains, so I'll have to put that recipe on the back burner.
Oh, I make my own yogurt and sourdough bread. I'll have to try making the bread with whey. Sounds good!
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

I'd been baking my own bread, using store-bought, organic, whole wheat flour until I began buying freshly-milled organic flour direct from the mill and what a difference. The flour is so much more alive, literally.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Tejfyy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:28 am I'd been baking my own bread, using store-bought, organic, whole wheat flour until I began buying freshly-milled organic flour direct from the mill and what a difference. The flour is so much more alive, literally.
Do you mind me asking what mill you order from? I didn't know you could do this. Thanks!
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Something that the Globe and Mail calls a “Made in Canada cake,” which they say is a light and fluffy cake based on an early 1910 or so recipe from someone in Ontario, topped with a maple buttercream icing.

I wouldn’t recommend it. Icing is okay, but the cake is pretty dense.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Pizza dough has been cold-fermenting 36 hours now, baking pizza tonight. Toppings TBD.
Semper Augustus
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Pao de queijo. Brazilian cheese bread. Easy and unique in texture. They are round and typically smaller than a golf ball. The negative is they are really only good freshly baked.

Edit: They are made with tapioca flour which is gluten free if you care about that stuff.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 am
Tejfyy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:28 am I'd been baking my own bread, using store-bought, organic, whole wheat flour until I began buying freshly-milled organic flour direct from the mill and what a difference. The flour is so much more alive, literally.
Do you mind me asking what mill you order from? I didn't know you could do this. Thanks!
Central Milling.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Tejfyy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:32 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 am
Central Milling.
Thanks!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just made my first loaf of No-Knead Honey Oatmeal Bread. All of my bread baking follows Artisan Steve's no-knead approach. My bread is made in a toaster oven with a Pullman Bread pan.
  • In a large bowl, combine 16 oz water, 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast, 1 Tablespoon honey
  • Mix
  • Add 3-1/2 cups bread flour, 1 cup quaker oats - put on top of flour
  • Mix
  • Cover and put in oven overnight with the oven light on
  • Degas, form small ball
  • Add 1/4 cup quaker oats on outside. Roll around dough to coat, add more oats to ensure loaf is covered with oats. Add flour to keep dough from sticking (I didn't add the flour)
  • Cover and rise for 30 - 60 minutes (dough was already at the top of the pan after 30 minutes)
  • Put the lid on the Pullman pan and put it in the toaster oven.
  • Set toaster oven to 40 min. at 400 deg F. Start. (Oven at room temperature)
My toaster oven takes 5 minutes to come up to temperature (the timer doesn't start until the oven reaches temperature). If you preheat the oven, put it in for 45 minutes.

In the video, Steve says that the honey is just a flavor. The yeast consumes the honey so allow for some extra rising to take place.

Update: Clarified how my toaster oven's timer works. 5 minutes to come up to temperature (not timed) and 40 minutes of cooking time (timer). This isn't the same as preheating for 45 minutes, but it works for me.
gittarman

Post by gittarman »

I recently fell down the sourdough rabbit hole. Interesting learning experience,
especially if you enjoy science experiments. :happy

I've gotten to the point where I have made a viable starter and have baked 3 loaves of bread!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:23 pm Pao de queijo. Brazilian cheese bread. Easy and unique in texture. They are round and typically smaller than a golf ball. The negative is they are really only good freshly baked.

Edit: They are made with tapioca flour which is gluten free if you care about that stuff.
Thanks for this.

The recipe(s) I found online sound like they'd be similar to something I made with Gruyere cheese, but with regular flour.
We loved these little "cheese puffs".
(And yes, these also were *only* good when freshly baked. Pre-made and reheated? A different and seriously inferior critter indeed :annoyed )

But DH was diagnosed quite late in life with celiac disease, so I've had to change much of my cooking in the past 2 years. I haven't yet tried much gluten-free baking, and this seems like a good place to start.

Bob's Red Mill has some good gluten-free recipes and substitution suggestions.

Do you have a favorite recipe? Online, there seem to be quite a few variations...
And any idea if this would work substitution Gruyere for the other cheese(s)?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

gittarman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 am I recently fell down the sourdough rabbit hole. Interesting learning experience,

I've gotten to the point where I have made a viable starter and have baked 3 loaves of bread!
Since my wife graduated, sourdough has become her obsession. She's now experimenting with all different kinds of wheat. Until she decided to take this up in December, I'm not sure anything had ever been baked in our home.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:23 pm Pao de queijo. Brazilian cheese bread. Easy and unique in texture. They are round and typically smaller than a golf ball. The negative is they are really only good freshly baked.

Thanks for this.

The recipe(s) I found online sound like they'd be similar to something I made with Gruyere cheese, but with regular flour.
We loved these little "cheese puffs".
(And yes, these also were *only* good when freshly baked. Pre-made and reheated? A different and seriously inferior critter indeed :annoyed )

But DH was diagnosed quite late in life with celiac disease, so I've had to change much of my cooking in the past 2 years. I haven't yet tried much gluten-free baking, and this seems like a good place to start.

Bob's Red Mill has some good gluten-free recipes and substitution suggestions.

Do you have a favorite recipe? Online, there seem to be quite a few variations...
And any idea if this would work substitution Gruyere for the other cheese(s)?

RM
I've tried many recipes. I first started making them around 20 years ago after having them in Brazil. This is the recipe I use now: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/e ... ese_bread/.

There are two general ways to make them, each having many variations. The first you cook the dough then typically scoop it onto a sheet pan. The 2nd, which is what is above, is a blender recipe you pour right into a mini muffin tin. It is much easier and the results to me are comparable though the initial "doughs" are much different in consistency (one being more a loose dough and the other more like a batter).

For cheeses, I have used mozzarella, Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, Monterey jack and sharp/extra sharp white cheddar. To be honest, when using the good parm vs. the other cheeses I don't know that this is the place to use $20/lb cheese at least to my tastes. I would avoid overly processed cheeses. With fresh cheeses like feta or mozzarella I would be careful because they have more moisture and would probably work but with experimentation. I don't grate the cheese- I throw it in the blender as a chunk. I weight all the dry ingredients. The recipe says you can keep the blended batter for a week. I am suspect of that with egg/milk but I'm pretty sure it would be good for a few days.

I would avoid extra virgin olive oil as that might not impart the desired taste. I use regular olive oil or canola oil. I experimented with doing part butter but they didn't rise as much.

If you have access to an ethnic store (particularly Asian), you can get the tapioca for 1/3 the price of what they charge for the well known brand carried at most chain grocery stores. I typically get it for 90 cents to a dollar per pound in 1lb bags and suspect if I hunted around and bought in bigger quantities it would be even less expensive.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I baked a King Cake for the first time, a few days past Mardi Gras but close enough. I usually don’t like having to roll dough but this wasn’t bad. Fresh out of plastic babies, so I stuck in a gummy bear instead. It was delicious and looked festive.
usagi

Post by usagi »

I grow a lot of varieties of apples. Just a few hours ago I made stuff peppers with caramelized vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, red peppers), baked beans, and for desert: delicious baked apples. I stuffed the apples with raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla - yummy. Baked apples, so simple, so good. If anyone cares, the apple was a variety called Liberty, my main cropper.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Not really 'baking' but made naan on a cast iron skillet. Followed the recipe below.
https://rasamalaysia.com/naan/#mv-creation-11

The recipe portions are smaller than I would like. It says the yield is 8 pieces but works better for 6 or 7. A 100g ball of dough per naan is a good size imo.
gittarman

Post by gittarman »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 am
gittarman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 am I recently fell down the sourdough rabbit hole. Interesting learning experience,

Since my wife graduated, sourdough has become her obsession. She's now experimenting with all different kinds of wheat. Until she decided to take this up in December, I'm not sure anything had ever been baked in our home.
Sounds like you should nurture her in her new hobby!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

gittarman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:33 am
stoptothink wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 am

Sounds like you should nurture her in her new hobby!
Ha ha, we prefer (for health reasons) that baking is minimized in our home. My kids do enjoy the whole wheat sourdough and it's better nutritionally and a fraction of the cost of store bought.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I was in the mood for salmon: Lemon Garlic Salmon from a Toaster Oven

I got a 1.6 lb. slab of salmon and tried to follow the instructions. I ended up with lining the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil and layered in the spinach and sliced garlic with the salmon on top.

Then, I covered the pan with aluminum foil and put it in the toaster oven on convection bake.

Going by temperature, it took nearly twice as long to cook. The spinach ended up as a thin layer, much less than what I started with. I used it as a topping.

I'm thinking this will last about 5 days.

Next, the side dish: Jasmine Rice with Toasted Pine Nuts and Chives

I already had pine nuts and I'm growing fresh chives in my garden. Instead of Jasmine, I used the rice I had - long grain. Browning the pine nuts with 3 Tbs of butter made this dish.

Notes:
I don't use bottled lemon juice. Instead, I buy a lemon and squeeze my own juice using a small strainer.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 pm I was in the mood for salmon: Lemon Garlic Salmon from a Toaster Oven

I got a 1.6 lb. slab of salmon and tried to follow the instructions. I ended up with lining the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil and layered in the spinach and sliced garlic with the salmon on top.

Then, I covered the pan with aluminum foil and put it in the toaster oven on convection bake.

Going by temperature, it took nearly twice as long to cook. The spinach ended up as a thin layer, much less than what I started with. I used it as a topping.

I'm thinking this will last about 5 days.

Next, the side dish: Jasmine Rice with Toasted Pine Nuts and Chives

I already had pine nuts and I'm growing fresh chives in my garden. Instead of Jasmine, I used the rice I had - long grain. Browning the pine nuts with 3 Tbs of butter made this dish.

Notes:
I don't use bottled lemon juice. Instead, I buy a lemon and squeeze my own juice using a small strainer.
Thanks for this recipe.
I love pine nuts; always looking for more uses.

I'll make this with brown long-grain rice. Should be great.

And the salmon with baby spinach. Healthy :happy

Thanks again.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:16 pm Baking recipes call for vegetable oil.
What oil is the healthiest and best nutrition and easy to digest that works well for baking?

Organic Sunflower Oil ??
or other?

Thanks🌺
J🏝
I like avocado oil, which like vegetable oil, has a high smoke point and minimal flavor.

Edit - Oops I hadn't realized how far behind I was on this thread.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Today, following my usual recipe in my usual bread machine, I baked... a brick. I've read about dwarf battle bread in Terry Pratchett's books, but never expected to encounter any outside of literature. It's still a bit soft now, but let it dry out completely and I think it would be fully capable of driving a nail or crushing a skull. And it wasn't the yeast, I added the usual amount of that. After considerable thought, I realized that I completely forgot to add the salt. Which is obviously more essential than I would have imagined.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I made a home-made Tres Leches cake this past weekend. Yummy!

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-co ... ches-cake/
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Every year around the 4th of July I make a fresh cherry pie. I made it a couple of days ago. It's one of my favorite desserts and I look forward to it every year. It's good for my waistline that cherries are in season for just a short while.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

What a delicious topic 😋
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Peach Messy

2 T. coconut oil, room temperature, half solid and half soft is ideal
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 T. raw cane sugar
1/3 cup gluten-free 1-to-1 flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup dried unsweetened coconut threads
Mix thoroughly with fork.
Add: 1 egg white from a large egg
Beat the egg white into the dry mixture with a spoon, turning and tilting the bowl to gradually blend it all in.
½ cup of walnut pieces, chop and mix in. Dough will hold together but be wet and sticky.
Drop onto parchment paper lining a glass baking pan and spread out with a spoon, until about ½ inch thick. Doesn’t have to be exact.
Drop 1/3 cup of peach jam on top and smear with a butter knife.
Bake 350 degrees until browned and poofy and jam is bubbling. Tear into pieces to eat. Watch out for hot jam!
If you have some restraint, you can save half for tomorrow.

This is my own invention and I love it.
mkc

Post by mkc »

"Griddle-baked" some garlic naan today.
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I have been eating way less sugar/carbs recently and it's improved my weight & health quite a bit. A side effect is that I really dislike sweets now. However my husband still has a sweet tooth, so I am trying to find compromise recipes that we can both enjoy. This is one I tried today.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... ies-recipe

Instead of the sugar I used monkfruit sweetener that I bought from Wegman's and only used 213 grams (1 cup). The brownies have a good texture and taste but I found them still very sweet even with the reduced sweetener. My husband thought they were fine. I might try reducing the monkfruit sweetener a bit next time, maybe to 106 g (1/2 cup) and see how that works. I baked them for 35 minutes and that seemed a bit too long, I might try the minimum 33 minutes next time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

New for me: Hawaiian Pizza

I made my usual homemade dough and put all the ingredients onto one pizza - it fit. Perhaps I should have cut the pineapple chunks in half and spread the ham over two pizzas. A single slice is quite filling this way.

Sautéing the pineapple and ham is optional, but I would say that it's needed. The pineapple has quite a bit of liquid (of course), but you don't want that released onto the pizza as it's baking. Release the liquid into the saute pan instead.

For thick pizzas, you want to lower the temperature a bit and cook longer. I baked my pizza at 375 deg F for 22 minutes. I judged it was done by the crust and that the cheese was melted.

This does not taste like a "standard" pizza and some might be disappointed with their expectations. Instead, think of it as a pineapple pie with ham. There's a strong pineapple sweetness which is balanced by the ham and sauce. Interesting.

============
I should also mention that I used a good quality sauce. A few weeks ago, I compared the supermarket "store brand" sauce vs. a brand that used real ingredients with no preservatives. Yes, the name brand was more expensive. Yes, I could easily tell the better quality.

I'm not going back to the store brand in spite of the cost savings. I've seen this for other products as well. Compare the ingredients and you'll see why.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I made Milk Street's Za'atar flat bread yesterday. Very good, but a bit salty, which may be my fault. It called for kosher salt in the bread, and I used coarse sea salt, tho a bit less than the recipe called for. Also, I used Trader Joe's Za'atar spice bottle, and it has some salt in it too. Of course, since the pandemic started, and I'm not eating out as much, there's a lot that tastes more salty to me than it did before I started cooking more for myself :wink:

I also saved have the dough in the freezer - I stretched it out before freezing so that it's more ready to go. We'll see some time soon how it turns out!
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Today's case count made me contemplate hibernation, which led to a review of my food stores, which led to... a can of sweetened condensed milk that was best-by May of 2021...

Spruce Eats, Chocolate Oat Bars. A bit sweet, even tho my chocolate was about 50% semisweet chips and 50% Ghiradelli's 72% dark chocolate. And in the base I substituted half the brown sugar with Lakanto's Golden, and substituted White Whole Wheat for half the all purpose white.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/chocolate ... rs-3051975

with pecans.

I need more chocolate for my pantry now.
Last edited by InMyDreams on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.