Happy 97th Birthday, Taylor Larimore

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Kathleen Ryan

Happy 97th Birthday, Taylor Larimore

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Happy 97th Birthday, Taylor Larimore, "King of the Bogleheads” 🎂🍰🎁🎈🎊🎉❤️

Please join me in wishing Taylor a very Happy Birthday. I just want to share my thoughts with you about this great man.

Taylor Larimore was born in Boston, MA on January 25, 1924. Mr. John Clifton (Jack) Bogle, founder of, “The Vanguard Group, Inc.,” referred to Mr. Larimore as, “The King of the Bogleheads.” And with good reason.

Let’s start at the beginning. Mel Lindauer, also bestowed with the distinction by Mr. Bogle of being named, “The Prince of the Bogleheads,” along with Taylor, were two of the most prolific posters to provide assistance to anyone who found them at the early forum, “Vanguard Diehards.” (Now known as, “Bogleheads Unite,” at the Mornnigstar site, founded in 1998.) This was years before we had the Bogleheads.org site - (Founded: 2/19/2007), and then our Facebook Bogleheads page. - (Founded: 10/23/2010)

Back in 2000, Mr. Bogle asked Taylor and Mel, if they thought there would be an interest in having a get-together offered for participants of the Vanguard Diehards site. They both thought there would be, and Taylor offered his home in Miami, FL, on March 10-11, 2000, as the venue for the meeting. That was a big thing, because people only knew each other online through their posts, and some people didn't use their real names. Of course, many people thought, “Well isn’t that a little dangerous?” as we’ve all heard horror stories that resulted from, “knowing,” someone online
and then meeting them in person.

It turned out to be a wonderful experience for the 20 who attended. This was the beginning of all the National Bogleheads Conferences to follow. Through the years, these meetings have grown from 20 people, to over 200, with reservations to attend being sold out within hours.
At the first Bogleheads meeting, held in Taylor’s home, in March 2000, Taylor read the short post I wrote from the, “Vanguard Diehards,” site aloud to all attendees. In it I stated what many people felt; my regret at not being able to attend. That’s how kind Taylor is. He, along with Mr. Bogle made the, “Little Guy,” feel important. I was pleasantly astonished when Mr. Bogle himself emailed me, a few days later!
I just want to interject, when you arrive at the National Bogleheads Conferences, you are warmly welcomed, not by mere handshakes, but by hugs! This tradition continues to this day. The people I met over 20 years ago, continue to lifelong friends.

Taylor Larimore was the first person I met at the BH 2 Conference held in June 2001. You know how when you enter some gatherings, there's that initial awkwardness of, "Do I know anyone?" or "Who can I go talk with?" Upon your arrival, you are provided with a name tag. I always used my real name, so when Taylor approached me, and asked, "Kathleen?" he knew it was me, and gave me hug. I hugged him back, and said, "Yes, I'm Kathleen.
It's so nice to be here, and finally meet you." Then Mel Lindauer greeted me with a big, bear hug, and I was overjoyed to have made the trip from California to Pennsylvania.

The next morning, at the Vanguard Campus was when I first met Mr. Bogle. When I arrived, there was a crowd of people gathered around him. I said to myself, "I'll wait until there are fewer people around him, to go over and introduce myself." Then I saw the ship model of, "The HMS Vanguard," through a glass case, and was admiring it, when all of a sudden I heard Mr. Bogle's distinctive voice, (which you'd know anywhere) loudly asking, "Kathleen?" Flabbergasted, I turned around to see the Founder of Vanguard approaching me. I looked up at him in awe, and stammered, "Yes," while extending my hand to shake his. Instead, he greeted me with a hug. I whispered to him, "It's so nice to meet you," and hugged him back. That's how Mr. Bogle, Taylor, and Mel, continued to make people feel; so very welcomed that they made the journey to attend.

Taylor is a man of virtue, ethics and character, which has been evidenced throughout his life. When he was 20 years old, in 1944, he served in WWII, as a paratrooper during, “The Battle of the Bulge.” People are floored when I tell them I know someone from this battle.
During the time of the war effort, and decades beyond, Taylor has continued to help thousands of people that he’s met in person at national, and local BH conferences, and meetings, and through the Bogleheads books he’s co-authored. He’s also reaches and helps many thousands more through his posts, almost too numerous to count.

To say Taylor is an accomplished sailor would be understating things. He’s won several regattas, and taught about 1,000 young people to sail. In 1994, at the age of 70, he embarked on, and completed a transatlantic crossing in a 40′ sailboat. Talk about courage, determination, and spirit!

What a great man we have as one of the founders of, “The Bogleheads.” And thank you to Mr. Bogle, who made it all possible. Meeting, knowing and seeing such good friends together, in person, during our meetings, has been the highlight of many Bogleheads lives.

Thank you Taylor Larimore for all the help you’ve provided to so many, during all stages of your life. Even when cancer took your voice, you modeled character, perseverance, and determination, and continue to this day to help others. How blessed we are to have you as our, “King of the Bogleheads.”

With love, respect, and admiration,
Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen Ryan on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllMostThere

Re: Happy 97th Birthday, Taylor Larimore

Post by AllMostThere »

Best wishes to Taylor on your Birthday. You are truly an inspiration to others. Thank you and enjoy your day!
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

I am grateful for your service both to Bogleheads and to our country. Our nation owes you a debt of gratitude that never can be repaid.

May God bless you and your family on this, the 58th anniversary of your 39th birthday! Wishing you good health and good cheer in the coming year.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Enjoy your day!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Dear Kathleen,
Thank you for writing this beautiful Happy Birthday to Taylor, the person who has meant so much to me personally thru his wisdom and advice since I "met" him on the Morningstar DIehards forum in September 1998, just as I was about to retire.. He and Mel, but others as well back then, helped to make my retirement happy and successful. Although I never met you all personally I feel you are special friends.
God Bless,
Sheepdog

TO TAYLOR,
Happy Birthday. I love you.
Jim

Woof Woof
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Thank you for all the wisdom you've shared with us all.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Thank you for the beautiful note, Kathleen. Each time I learn about Taylor, is always a new thing that's impressive.

Happy, safe, and healthy birthday wishes to you Taylor!

If I can provide a millionth of help to other humans that you have so far, I'd consider that success! Thank you (amongst many other things) for building and fostering this community!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

🎂 🎈 🎉 🎁 🎂 🎈 🎉 🎁

Happy Birthday, Taylor!

🎂 🎈 🎉 🎁 🎂 🎈 🎉 🎁
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Happy birthday, Taylor!

Your wisdom and kindness have helped so many Bogleheads. Thank you for everything you have done for this community.

With gratitude and best wishes,
Gráinne
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Taylor, you are just the best! :D
TXDoc21

Post by TXDoc21 »

Thank you for sharing that. What a truly remarkable man. Happy birthday Mr. Larimore!
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Happy Birthday Taylor!!
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Thanks for everything you have done for all of us and continue to do!
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Wishing you a great day and many more to come.

Your contributions to BH’s, as well as many others, are greatly appreciated.

Again, Happy Birthday Young Man!

Don
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Happy Birthday Taylor. Thanks for all that you do. You are an inspiration for all Bogleheads.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Happy Birthday, Taylor.
:sharebeer

Mahalo for your inspiration.
jim :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Thank you for all your insight and help through your wonderful posts throughout the years! You are an inspiration!
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

Happy Birthday Taylor. Always look forward to your words of wisdom.
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

Dear Mr. Larimore,

Happy 97th birthday!

Though you (or others here) would not know me, I have followed your posts for 20+ years from the early days of Vanguard Diehards. Yet, this is only my second post.

Besides reading your posts and your book (on retirement financial matters), I have admired your life of service, character and high adventure taken on in good cheer.

I remember reading your Christmas Day posts about the Battle of the Bulge over the years. For many years, I lived next door to a WWII veteran who graduated from Michigan State in 1944 and saw six months of combat in WW2; he was married to a German woman whom he met during the occupation of Berlin. She called herself a “war bride!” Of the many war stories and some pictures my neighbor shared with me, one line I remember particularly well. He said most of his buddies who graduated just a year earlier than him (in 1943) and went to the war did not return home. I have only seen the movie Battle of the Bulge (starring Robert Shaw, if I remember right); these days, war and video games are at times indistinguishable; whereas you and your generation were there on the frontlines and continued your leadership and service after you returned home. On so many counts, you have my admiration.

It turns out your birthday (Jan 25th) is sandwiched between two other birthdays in my family, of my brother and my son, on Jan 24th and Jan 26th. So, I won’t forget it now.

I am glad that after years of never posting, I got this note out.

Wish you a long life, an enjoyable day and a great year ahead.

With regards,
Lurkman
Blues

Post by Blues »

Happy Birthday, Taylor. Here's to 97 more! :sharebeer
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Happy birthday Taylor!
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

Happy birthday 🎁, Taylor!
ThisTimeItsDifferent

Post by ThisTimeItsDifferent »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Thank you for your wisdom, bravery and contributions, in Bogleheads providing the simple, but not always easy, advice and in your earlier wartime service.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-bog ... 2018-09-11
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Have a very Happy Birthday Taylor! :sharebeer

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Geno

Post by Geno »

Happy Birthday Taylor
Our best wishes and God Bless you

Gene and Maria
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Your wisdom and advice continues to inspire generations of new Bogleheads!
Enjoy.

Rob
Light weight baby!
Cheddarhead

Post by Cheddarhead »

Happy 97th Birthday, Taylor and many more!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

97, that’s amazing! Happy Birthday Taylor!
docsolly

Post by docsolly »

Happy Birthday Taylor!
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Like Jack, you have been an inspiration that has helped and impacted countless lives. Your contributions to all us Bogleheads and the investing community at large are cherished. I wish you the very best on this next rotation around the sun!
Last edited by BrandonBogle on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

I hope this new year is full of Joy and Discovery!

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Happy birthday, Mr. Larimore. Thank you for all you’ve done, both for the Bogleheads and in the service of your country.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
JPH

Post by JPH »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Thank you and keep up the good work.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Happy, Happy Birthday!

Wishing you the very best in this brand new year.

Dottie
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

Happy Birthday, Taylor! Thank you for making such a positive impact on so many countless lives during your lifetime ~ from your military service to educating investors on the Boglehead method. Hope you have a wonderful birthday and wishing you all the best!
mptness

Post by mptness »

Happy Birthday!
Three (fund) cheers for Taylor Larimore!
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

Happy Birthday, Taylor!!
jimmy2040

Post by jimmy2040 »

Happy 97th birthday!
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

Happy Birthday Taylor!
Milo Bloom

Post by Milo Bloom »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Thank you so much for all of the help you have provided over the years.
Sure hope you are still enjoying a sail every now and then.

All the best to you and your family!
A goal without a plan is just a wish - Herm Edwards
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Mr. Taylor Larimore,

I have learned so much as a result of your contributions to these Boglehead threads and the discussions that have arisen from them.

Thank you and Happy Birthday!
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Mr. Taylor Larimore,

Thank you and Happy Birthday!

Enjoy the moment !!!!
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Happy Birthday, Taylor!

Thank you for your service & inspiration.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
SantaClaraSurfer

Post by SantaClaraSurfer »

Happy Birthday, Taylor, and thank you for all the advice! :happy

My Uncle Bob served under Patton in Europe in the Armored Infantry.

All of us are grateful for your generation and your service!!
KESP

Post by KESP »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Thanks for everything you do. Such a meaningful life you have created.
Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me »

Happy Birthday Taylor! Thank you for all the wisdom you continue to share. A true inspiration to us young folk ;)
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Happy Birthday!
LateInvestor7

Post by LateInvestor7 »

Happy 97th and blessings for many more!

Mr. Larimore--my great aunt was at the Battle of the Bulge. She was a nun and a nurse. The carnage and injuries she saw and tended to during that battle made her question her faith. After WWII, my great aunt assisted the Red Cross to find Jewish survivors and transport to Palestine. She met a Jewish man whose wife did not survive one of the German concentration camps. She married him and raised his 10 children. I do not know the order she was with but I do have a photograph of her in her habit.

You are a brave man and an outstanding citizen. If it wasn't for men like yourself, my family would not have survived Nazi occupied Holland.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Happy birthday Taylor, you have a lot to be proud of!
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Jacotus

Post by Jacotus »

Happy birthday Taylor! Your wisdom and dedication are truly an inspiration.