Trust for Married Couple with No Kids

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Kookaburra

Trust for Married Couple with No Kids

Post by Kookaburra »

I am trying to learn about trusts and whether if/how they might be used to benefit a married couple during their lifetime. Assume this couple has no kids, no siblings, etc., which seems to be the usual situations for which trusts exist.

Specifically, can the couple set up and use a certain type of trust to reduce taxes each year on their taxable investment account? And/or as a shelter to defer taxes into the future? If so, what kind of trust would that be and how does it work?

Thanks for helping.
Iorek

Re: Trust for Married Couple with No Kids

Post by Iorek »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 pm
Specifically, can the couple set up and use a certain type of trust to reduce taxes each year on their taxable investment account? And/or as a shelter to defer taxes into the future?

Thanks for helping.
No.

You are welcome!
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Trusts are used to reduce estate taxes.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Depending on what state you're in, it might be possible to use an incomplete gift trust to avoid state income taxes. See my article on this in the September 2005 issue of Trusts & Estates: https://www.kkwc.com/wp-content/uploads ... rantor.pdf.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

oldfort wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:41 pm Trusts are used to reduce estate taxes.
a
And for some, avoiding probate is a motivation.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells