Signature Golf Holes that are worth traveling to? . . . And. . Most Memorable Golf Experiences?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Signature Golf Holes that are worth traveling to? . . . And. . Most Memorable Golf Experiences?

Post by Sandtrap »

Many golf courses have "Signature Holes" that are unforgettable (no matter how high the score or number of lost balls), and worth traveling to before and after retirement as one's health and finances dictates.

What are your golf Signature Holes you've played or dream of playing?? :?:
(pictures to drool over are welcome)
*Actionably consumer issue to inspire others to spend.

What were your most memorable Golf Experiences???
(Everyone has a "fish" story!) :D :D

Here are my most memorable Signature Golf Holes:
(all in Hawaii Resort Courses)
*Encourage other golfers to experience the top resort golf courses on each island in Hawaii.

Best score on any of them were bogies.

Most memorable golf experiences.
Playing golf with my son when he was young and around the same age, on the same golf courses, as when my own dad took me out to play golf long ago.

Aloha
j :D
I've always have a draw ball flight so this hole at Koolina on the Island of Oahu has always been friendly to my ball flight.
Look at the pin placement on this front slope. Brutal. Who decides where to put the holes?
I think this is Mauna Kea on the Big Island. If the wind is blowing "kona winds" from the mountains to the sea, I'm doomed.
Four Seasons Resort Course on the Island Of Lanai
Hit a semi soft draw soft stinger mid/long iron into the right side and the grass on the slope slows it and the ball will bounce somewhere on or around the green for a bogie 4. Never had much success with going for a high ball because of wind and no skill.
Layup to the right and soft wedge into the green. Bogie. No skill or distance to reliably go long.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
corysold

Re: Signature Golf Holes that are worth traveling to?

Post by corysold »

Standing on the 1st and 18th tees of Erin Hills was pretty memorable.

The first is a dogleg left par 5, which would play to your draw perfectly, but the nerves of the course, the view, the clubhouse and the fact that as you look you have no idea where to hit it is pretty incredible.

First tee:

This is a shot from where you'd be hitting your second.

The 18th is also a par 5, you see the Holy Hill Catholic Basilica in the distance and the thought of a nice whisky at the 19th hole after an incredible round of golf and a chance to finally rest your legs after quite the walk is amazing.

Last edited by corysold on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Great question!

Would love to play the 7th at Pebble Beach, then afterwards head over to Jim Nantz’s house to play the same hole again followed by cocktails and dinner. Oh well we can dream....

https://www.pebblebeach.com/insidepebbl ... in-photos/
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-ji ... yard-par-3
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Pete12 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am Great question!

Would love to play the 7th at Pebble Beach, then afterwards head over to Jim Nantz’s house to play the same hole again followed by cocktails and dinner. Oh well we can dream....

Pebble Beach 7th. Thanks for the link. Never played it but watched the pro's play it all of my life.
Likely a natural draw for me. I'd have to hit it over the water to compensate. Then it would not hold the green but bounce and run into that left bunker, or front sand trap. Hopefull I'd be able to "cheat it a bit" by finding a spot with no lip and putt it out. 2 putt for a bogie if lucky. My golf balls are intentionally designed to land in sand traps. :shock: :shock:

Thanks for posting!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

#16 @ Cabot Cliffs.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:18 pm #16 @ Cabot Cliffs.
Yikes!
Par 3
From 89 yards front tees to 176 back tees.
Where to land? Where to land?

BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Sandtrap,
For the full boglehead experience of the Pebble Beach area play the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course. The back nine is right on the ocean and I think the greens fees were 45$! Love this thread!
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Hole 17 at Kiawah Ocean Course is an awesome and fearsome hole over water at 221 yards for pros. The pros made a mess of the hole during Ryder Cup. It was a really intimidating hole. Lots of great holes on this course but this is probably the best. I have played the course twice.

https://www.golfcoursegurus.com/reviews ... ort-ocean/
Chip

Post by Chip »

It's not the rarified atmosphere of Pebble Beach or Kiawah Ocean, but Kings North at Myrtle Beach National has a couple of interesting holes:

"The Gambler"

Par 5 with an island fairway. Go for the island and hit it and get home in 2. Otherwise take the long way around on the right, with water waiting for every overcooked draw.

Hole 18

Not terribly difficult but sheer number of bunkers is an impressive view from the tee.
Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life »

SandTrap,
+1000 to Pebble Beach. DW and I went there last for the Open in 2010. Amazing course, amazing views, and the crowd atmosphere was electric. If you ever get up that way, do us all a favor and post more pictures. Like another said, love this thread...
Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 »

http://dddi6o7noc2x9.cloudfront.net/wp- ... G_1753.jpg

#6 Quivira in Cabo, parred it last year. (Don’t know about the link)
yog

Post by yog »

Princeville, Kauai, HI
Princeville Makai Golf Club

vested1

Post by vested1 »

Greens fees at Pebble Beach are $575 if you're renting a room at the Lodge (from $980 to $7,550 a night). Add $45 per person for cart fees if not. I worked the AT+T/Crosby every year and the U.S. opens for 25 years on overtime/standby for megacorp. I was free to roam the course during the tournaments, was invited to the caddies bbq, and could watch the tournament on a big screen with an open buffet in a large tent as well. I never played Pebble Beach, but did play Spyglass Hill and Spanish Bay for free because my best friend worked there. I'm sure some (most) of my balls still linger somewhere out of bounds. All employees get to play free golf and get first crack at rental clubs that are retired every year. Some people only work there in order to play golf.

The earlier mention of the PG municipal golf course is a good one, although you'd better hit it straight on certain holes or run the risk of hitting the windshield of a passing car on Ocean View Blvd, or hitting someone gazing at the Pacific while they're blissfully walking on the rec trail. I've left my share of balls on that course as well.

Now I hit them into the ether in SC, where the deer scatter when they see me teeing up.
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

#18 at Pebble Beach...one of the greatest finishing holes in golf!
Jack Nicklaus always said, if I had only one round left to play, it would be at Pebble Beach.
Couldn’t agree more.
btenny

Post by btenny »

In memory of my good friend Malcom who passed last year. He loved golf and lived in St Andrews Scotland. Here are the web sites. I leave it to you to look at the pictures. It is a great town and both courses below are fun and beautiful. It is well worth it to travel there.

18th hole THE OLD COURSE St Andrews
https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-course

15th hole Kingsbarns St Andrews Scotland
https://www.kingsbarns.com/home/

Good Luck
Last edited by btenny on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

TPC Sawgrass has a number of great holes in addition to #17.

Had the pleasure to play there a number of times in years past. One time as we played up #16 we could hear yelling coming from 17. As the green came into view we could see two balls inside 10 feet. We watched the threesome walk onto the green. The third ball was in the hole!
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

carolinaman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:48 pm Hole 17 at Kiawah Ocean Course is an awesome and fearsome hole over water at 221 yards for pros. The pros made a mess of the hole during Ryder Cup. It was a really intimidating hole. Lots of great holes on this course but this is probably the best. I have played the course twice.

221 yards Par 3! (All forced carry) :shock: :shock:
I'd have to play it for a "Senior Bogie". Layup to the left 60 yards short and use a lob wedge to the green, hopefully 2 putt.
What a beautiful hole.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

btenny wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:02 pm In memory of my good friend Malcom who passed last year. He loved golf and lived in St Andrews Scotland. Here are the web sites. I leave it to you to look at the pictures. It is a great town and both courses below are fun and beautiful. It is well worth it to travel there.

18th hole THE OLD COURSE St Andrews
https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-course

15th hole Kingsbarns St Andrews Scotland
https://www.kingsbarns.com/home/

Good Luck
One of my super senior golf buddies and old dear friend played St. Andrews 6 years ago in his late 70's. It was a dream come true for him. Just the history of the place.

Great pictures and websites!
Thanks for posting.
Mahalo
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Chip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:13 pm It's not the rarified atmosphere of Pebble Beach or Kiawah Ocean, but Kings North at Myrtle Beach National has a couple of interesting holes:

"The Gambler"

Par 5 with an island fairway. Go for the island and hit it and get home in 2. Otherwise take the long way around on the right, with water waiting for every overcooked draw.

Hole 18

Not terribly difficult but sheer number of bunkers is an impressive view from the tee.
Yikes!
Myrtle Beach North
On the Island of Oahu in Hawaii, there's the Turtle Bay Resort Palmer Course that has one hole that claims to have the most sand traps of any course. I don't know the truth of that but it certainly feels like it. The tee box is about 180 yards to the right bottom of the picture, not shown. High forest so no cutting the corner. Dogleg right and very narrow to a postage stamp green into a stiff ocean breeze. It's one of my favorite courses as far as ambiance. Palmer did a great design that fits all players, long and short hitters.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:07 pm

Pebble Beach 7th. Thanks for the link. Never played it but watched the pro's play it all of my life.
Likely a natural draw for me. I'd have to hit it over the water to compensate. Then it would not hold the green but bounce and run into that left bunker, or front sand trap. Hopefull I'd be able to "cheat it a bit" by finding a spot with no lip and putt it out. 2 putt for a bogie if lucky. My golf balls are intentionally designed to land in sand traps. :shock: :shock:

Thanks for posting!
I tend to hit fades myself so hopefully the wind coming in off the ocean would straighten me out, might find the green if I am lucky :shock:
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

VinoVita wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:44 pm #18 at Pebble Beach...one of the greatest finishing holes in golf!
Jack Nicklaus always said, if I had only one round left to play, it would be at Pebble Beach.
Couldn’t agree more.
Yes.
The last hole with no rounds left to go. That's what it should feel like.

Putt out.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

"I think this is Mauna Kea on the Big Island. If the wind is blowing "kona winds" from the mountains to the sea, I'm doomed."

If you want to know why golf fees are lower in the afternoon in Hawaii, just try Hole 3 at Mauna Kea. From the back tee, I aim for the back left of green until I get one there or lose all of the balls that I am prepared to lose. Always make sure to have a sleeve of Top Flites with you to donate to the golf gods. Resort balls are way too expensive. I hit it once on the first try and that allowed me to forget the shame of the other times :-)
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:49 am Floating, island green in Idaho:

https://www.cdaresort.com/play/golf/floating-green
I played this course twice a couple of years ago. Birdied it once and parred it the second time. Got a certificate both times. Two of my best golf memories.
The Woodbutcher

Post by The Woodbutcher »

I'm not much of a golfer, but a friend played this and had a lot of fun.

https://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Bear-s-B ... lf/Course2
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

A hole that cannot be left out...one of the most picturesque and toughest par 3’s on the planet!
#16 at Cypress Point Club in Pebble Beach, Ca..
222 yds., all carry over the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean to a pin point green encircled in sand and ice plant...good luck.
I was fortunate enough to play it in the 1985 California State Amateur. Pure golf!
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

In Scotts Valley, CA (Santa Cruz) Pasatiempo Golf Club #18. Very rare to finish with a Par 3, but as they say Alister MacKenzie saved the best hole for last...yes, the same Alister MacKenzie who designed Augusta.

In Bandon, OR Pacific Dunes #11 is a great one too.

I’ve played several Monterey Peninsula courses (Spanish Bay, Spyglass, Poppy Hills, Laguna Seca, Rancho Canada and Pacfic Grove) and all are special. As well I’ve played all over Hawaii, Arizona, Florida and Lake Tahoe. But if I could only play one last course it would be Pasatiempo. Highly recommend it if your in the area.

Sorry can’t figure out how to post pics from my phone.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

VinoVita wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:02 pm A hole that cannot be left out...one of the most picturesque and toughest par 3’s on the planet!
222 yds., all carry over the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean to a pin point green encircled in sand and ice plant...good luck.
I was fortunate enough to play it in the 1985 California State Amateur. Pure golf!
Pretty hard to find your way onto Cypress...extremely jealous!
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I'm going with an East coast course. The 2013 U.S. Open was played at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa. Many thought the course was too short to host a modern Open. It played just under 7000 yards and the winner of the tournament was +1. No pro broke par. Was awesome seeing the pro's play here. There are many great holes but I'm going to pick the 17th hole as one worth traveling to. Par 3, over an old quarry to a slick, undulating green surrounded by gnarly rough (played to 246 yards during the Open).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h_vwyC7Qs

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DoubleComma wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:17 pm In Scotts Valley, CA (Santa Cruz) Pasatiempo Golf Club #18. Very rare to finish with a Par 3, but as they say Alister MacKenzie saved the best hole for last...yes, the same Alister MacKenzie who designed Augusta.

In Bandon, OR Pacific Dunes #11 is a great one too.

I’ve played several Monterey Peninsula courses (Spanish Bay, Spyglass, Poppy Hills, Laguna Seca, Rancho Canada and Pacfic Grove) and all are special. As well I’ve played all over Hawaii, Arizona, Florida and Lake Tahoe. But if I could only play one last course it would be Pasatiempo. Highly recommend it if your in the area.

Sorry can’t figure out how to post pics from my phone.
In Scotts Valley, CA (Santa Cruz) Pasatiempo Golf Club #18.
Looks great for folks that hit the ball straight or a fade. (not me)
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

VinoVita wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:02 pm A hole that cannot be left out...one of the most picturesque and toughest par 3’s on the planet!
Yikes!
Forced carry with no layup (fallback position) in sight.
#16 at Cypress Point Club in Pebble Beach, Ca
225 yards.
Some Tour Pros might use a 6-7 iron? :shock: :shock:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks for posting!
I have a framed picture of this in my office. I can not imagine playing this with the pacific below. I would hit it too hard right into the ocean.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 am Many golf courses have "Signature Holes" that are unforgettable (no matter how high the score or number of lost balls), and worth traveling to before and after retirement as one's health and finances dictates.

What are your golf Signature Holes you've played or dream of playing?? :?:
(pictures to drool over are welcome)

Here are my most memorable Signature Golf Holes:
(all in Hawaii Resort Courses)
Best score on any of them were bogies.
Aloha
I've always have a draw ball flight so this hole at Koolina on the Island of Oahu has always been friendly to my ball flight.
Look at the pin placement on this front slope. Brutal. Who decides where to put the holes?
I think this is Mauna Kea on the Big Island. If the wind is blowing "kona winds" from the mountains to the sea, I'm doomed.

I was at Pinehurst for a conference but did not get to play! Old southern town feel.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
OldOne

Re: Signature Golf Holes that are worth traveling to? . . . And. . Most Memorable Golf Experiences?

Post by OldOne »

#9 at Mansfield. I was playing with a group of friends and sliced my drive off the tee. The ball went over the trees to the right and obviously came down on the top of a car coming down the road because we could hear the loud BANG and hear people all talking, well yelling actually, at the same time. The car went on down the gravel road and turned around. We knew it was time to bail out and headed for the deep woods along the #8 hole. We hid out till we thought the coast was clear and got the heck out of there. In all my life I've never been so scared, even in Vietnam. #9 there there or any other hole there is nothing like Pebble Beach or August National but the golfing is fun even if you have a bad slice. Just be careful and wait till you hear no cars coming before you hit.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Re: Signature Golf Holes that are worth traveling to? . . . And. . Most Memorable Golf Experiences?

Post by Sandtrap »

OldOne wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 pm #9 at Mansfield. I was playing with a group of friends and sliced my drive off the tee. The ball went over the trees to the right and obviously came down on the top of a car coming down the road because we could hear the loud BANG and hear people all talking, well yelling actually, at the same time. The car went on down the gravel road and turned around. We knew it was time to bail out and headed for the deep woods along the #8 hole. We hid out till we thought the coast was clear and got the heck out of there. In all my life I've never been so scared, even in Vietnam. #9 there there or any other hole there is nothing like Pebble Beach or August National but the golfing is fun even if you have a bad slice. Just be careful and wait till you hear no cars coming before you hit.
Ouch!
I've known that stress of an errant ball.

(true story)
Hawaii resort course par 5 that ran along luxury million dollar custom homes. Fellow player hits a long high pull draw that came down on the side of a house. We heard glass breaking! Yikes!
But, we didn't know what home was hit. We figured we'd play the hole and keep a lookout on the left to aplogize to the homeowner. Hey. We paid for 18 holes. We're not going to skip a hole.

Before we knew it, there were police arriving and the owner of the home was in one of the squad cars. He was "mad"!
Apparently his house had been hit several times that year and he was fed up.
The police drove all over that golf course and interviewed all of the golfers to find the culprit.

The player in our foursome that hit the "evil ball" was a very noble senior who found the homeowner in the clubhouse (after we finished the 18 holes of course) and offered to pay for damages to his window. They exchanged phone numbers and the homeowner sent my friend a bill for the window. It costed about $800 or more but the homeowner settled for $300 because my friend was so honest about it.

Nobody in our foursome played good golf after the encounter with the police until we finished the 18th hole. Of course we had to finish the round first. We paid for 18 holes after all.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Sedona golf resort.

10th (? - maybe the 11th).

Top of the course, looking north to a small mesa and beyond that to the Colorado Plateau.

Played Turtle Bay, Pebble, Sandpiper, P #2.
All much better courses, but that hole at Sedona is IT.

ALSO, Troon North Pinnacle, front nine, #8; long downhill par 3, you can see forever.

For fun...there is a course in Co. Springs/Castle Pines (Bear's Paw, IIRC) with a ~ 600+ yd par 5 that is very reachable due to the elevation.

Oddest moment, Rancho Park in L.A., has a plaque saying Palmer made a 10 on that hole--a nothing par 3, IIRC.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

OldOne wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 pm #9 at Mansfield. I was playing with a group of friends and sliced my drive off the tee. The ball went over the trees to the right and obviously came down on the top of a car coming down the road because we could hear the loud BANG and hear people all talking, well yelling actually, at the same time. The car went on down the gravel road and turned around. We knew it was time to bail out and headed for the deep woods along the #8 hole. We hid out till we thought the coast was clear and got the heck out of there. In all my life I've never been so scared, even in Vietnam. #9 there there or any other hole there is nothing like Pebble Beach or August National but the golfing is fun even if you have a bad slice. Just be careful and wait till you hear no cars coming before you hit.
Not trying to get all moralistic on you, but this thread provides an alternate view of what I think should occur when an errant ball is hit. Some others disagreed.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=320267

I didn't feel nobel, but rather justifiably responsible for my actions. I only add this perspective so that others may reconsider what to do if their game is as bad as mine. You can't change the past but can learn to apply lessons to the future.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to respond to do so on the linked thread so as not to derail this one, which I appreciate Sandtrap for starting.
corysold

Post by corysold »

My favorite golf memory came from a round with my dad about 13 years ago. We would go and play TPC Deere Run in the Quad Cities the Monday after the John Deere Classic, which was then the last PGA stop before The Open. They would leave the pins in the Sunday locations and the grandstands were up, sponsor tents and signage etc. Just a fun experience.

My approach on 18 was from 163. Now that'd be a hard 8 iron, but back then it was an easy 9 for me. I was left side of the fairway, there is a pond that guards the left side of the green, so it had to be a soft draw. I striped it and started it exactly where I wanted to. It tracked the pin the entire way, hopped once and went it. Still the only time I've ever holed out anything longer than a chip.

There were a few groundskeepers around and a ranger and they were all cheering. I don't have any idea what I shot that day, but walking onto the green with my dad, with the grandstands surrounding to get my ball from the cup was pretty cool. I had dreams of playing pro golf like any young golfer does, so that moment was as close as I'd ever come.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

carolinaman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:48 pm Hole 17 at Kiawah Ocean Course is an awesome and fearsome hole over water at 221 yards for pros. The pros made a mess of the hole during Ryder Cup. It was a really intimidating hole. Lots of great holes on this course but this is probably the best. I have played the course twice.

I'm wintering in SC, friend says he has connections to get us on Ocean Course, $360, too rich for my blood and game. Also the PGA Championship is there this year.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Never played anywhere famous. Never been to any famous courses. I get my annual Masters application denial letter every year.

The US Air Force academy course is nice though. Nice mountain course. Only had the chance to play it once. Rainmakers in Alto, NM also nice.

Holed out from 165 yesterday on a long Par 5 for my first ever eagle. First time ever holing out from anything outside the fringe. Nice high shot, hit the front of the green. Was into the sun though. Didnt see where it went. When my group got to the green i had the "where is my ball moment?" Found it in the cup.

Playing in a local Army tourney had a sponsored par 3 by first command (ugh). Had the option of hitting from 175 tee or from a 205 tee for the chance to win a car with a hole in one. I hit last. 4 iron. Soon as i hit it i knew it was good. On the green was a judge/observer. As the ball got closer he walked toward the hole. Ball roll within and stopped 2 inches from the hole. Almost. Turned out it was only a 3 year lease on a base model dodge challenger or option for $10k. Unfortunately no closest to the pin prize so i won nothing.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

There is a par 3 golf course on Long Island that emulates great holes from around the country.
So in this one course you get to try it all. And since it is a par 3, if you can’t make those holes in the 3, you may as well not go to the actual holes and pay big money to not do it there either.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

EdNorton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 am

I'm wintering in SC, friend says he has connections to get us on Ocean Course, $360, too rich for my blood and game. Also the PGA Championship is there this year.
:sharebeer
It is expensive but a beautiful, pristine course that will provide a lifetime memory. It is worth a rare splurge.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

DoubleComma wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:19 pm
Pretty hard to find your way onto Cypress...extremely jealous!
+18
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Best trip I’ve taken was to Scottsdale. Played Troon North, The Boulders, Sunridge Canyon and We-ko-Pa. All $200+ courses at the time of year we went but well worth it.

One of the nicest courses I’ve played is the Waldorf Astoria course near Disney in Orlando.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

phxjcc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 am Sedona golf resort.

10th (? - maybe the 11th).

Top of the course, looking north to a small mesa and beyond that to the Colorado Plateau.

Played Turtle Bay, Pebble, Sandpiper, P #2.
All much better courses, but that hole at Sedona is IT.

ALSO, Troon North Pinnacle, front nine, #8; long downhill par 3, you can see forever.

For fun...there is a course in Co. Springs/Castle Pines (Bear's Paw, IIRC) with a ~ 600+ yd par 5 that is very reachable due to the elevation.

Oddest moment, Rancho Park in L.A., has a plaque saying Palmer made a 10 on that hole--a nothing par 3, IIRC.
Sedona Golf Resort 10th Hole.
This one?
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bovineplane wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 am Never played anywhere famous. Never been to any famous courses. I get my annual Masters application denial letter every year.

The US Air Force academy course is nice though. Nice mountain course. Only had the chance to play it once. Rainmakers in Alto, NM also nice.

Holed out from 165 yesterday on a long Par 5 for my first ever eagle. First time ever holing out from anything outside the fringe. Nice high shot, hit the front of the green. Was into the sun though. Didnt see where it went. When my group got to the green i had the "where is my ball moment?" Found it in the cup.

Playing in a local Army tourney had a sponsored par 3 by first command (ugh). Had the option of hitting from 175 tee or from a 205 tee for the chance to win a car with a hole in one. I hit last. 4 iron. Soon as i hit it i knew it was good. On the green was a judge/observer. As the ball got closer he walked toward the hole. Ball roll within and stopped 2 inches from the hole. Almost. Turned out it was only a 3 year lease on a base model dodge challenger or option for $10k. Unfortunately no closest to the pin prize so i won nothing.
Awesome!
These are the kinds of moments that keep golfers coming back for more. . . .

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Shallowpockets wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:41 am There is a par 3 golf course on Long Island that emulates great holes from around the country.
So in this one course you get to try it all. And since it is a par 3, if you can’t make those holes in the 3, you may as well not go to the actual holes and pay big money to not do it there either.
9 holes, par 3.
Perfect for seniors with bad backs! :shock: :shock:
Is this what you're talking about?
Great golf prices:
Executive Course Pricing
MONDAY – FRIDAY
Morning (6:30 A.M.-9 A.M.)
$10 per person

Day (9:01 A.M.-6:00 P.M.)
$15 per person

Night (6:01 P.M.-Close)
$20 per person

WEEKEND
Day: $15 per person
Night: $20 per person
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I am not sure there is just one hole in particular but I can say Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada is a unique experience worth traveling to. If I remember correctly 16 of the 18 tee shots are from elevated tees. You throw yardages out the window and just enjoy this unique venue.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:53 am I am not sure there is just one hole in particular but I can say Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada is a unique experience worth traveling to. If I remember correctly 16 of the 18 tee shots are from elevated tees. You throw yardages out the window and just enjoy this unique venue.
Beautiful picture!
Thanks.

Reminds me of how courses in Hawaii are put together out of available land on the sides of mountains and valleys. Great for precision ball placement course management type golfers who often layup for "damage control". Brutal for long ball slammers. :shock: :shock:

MDfan

Post by MDfan »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:53 am I am not sure there is just one hole in particular but I can say Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada is a unique experience worth traveling to. If I remember correctly 16 of the 18 tee shots are from elevated tees. You throw yardages out the window and just enjoy this unique venue.

Definitely on my list. We stopped there on our way from Vegas to Zion a few years ago and it looks amazing.