Easiest way to get $1,750 cash and change into an online bank?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
fortfun

Easiest way to get $1,750 cash and change into an online bank?

Post by fortfun »

It appears that Walmart does money orders for 88 cents. Will they take cash and change? What are my other options? I'd prefer not to open a brick and mortar account.
Thanks!
Ff
nalor511

Re: Easiest way to get $1,750 cash and change into an online bank?

Post by nalor511 »

fortfun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:28 pm It appears that Walmart does money orders for 88 cents. Will they take cash and change? What are my other options? I'd prefer not to open a brick and mortar account.
Thanks!
Ff
It's for things like this that I have a Credit Union account (pick one you like, Alliant, Penfed, whatever), because most Credit Unions offer shared branching with another Credit Union nearby to wherever you are. So you can bring in your cash to almost any CU, and have the cash put into your account at the CU you actually bank with.

CU near me has a coinstar-type machine that I use for coins, and it prints out a slip, which I take to the cashier, and they put it into my account. Easy peasy. No fees.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:31 pm
fortfun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:28 pm It appears that Walmart does money orders for 88 cents. Will they take cash and change? What are my other options? I'd prefer not to open a brick and mortar account.
Thanks!
Ff
It's for things like this that I have a Credit Union account (pick one you like, Alliant, Penfed, whatever), because most Credit Unions offer shared branching with another Credit Union nearby to wherever you are. So you can bring in your cash to almost any CU, and have the cash put into your account at the CU you actually bank with.

CU near me has a coinstar-type machine that I use for coins, and it prints out a slip, which I take to the cashier, and they put it into my account. Easy peasy. No fees.
Thanks Nalor511. Are you required to maintain a minimum balance, etc?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Take a look at this thread from just a few days ago for alternatives.

I suggest asking Walmart your question directly.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336063&hilit=Deposi ... nline+bank

Cheers
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:31 pm It's for things like this that I have a Credit Union account (pick one you like, Alliant, Penfed, whatever), because most Credit Unions offer shared
+1
In my case, I also have a small account with the local credit union in order to have a safe deposit box. But before I joined, the credit co-op shared branching network was handy

To establish a membership w/ the local credit union, most seem to just require you to keep $5-$10 in a savings account. But the main point is that with the shared branching, you don't *need* to have a membership with the local credit union if they're in the same network as your credit union.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Thanks!
Ff
While I do not get money orders from Walmart, I have tenants who do. It looks to me like they have a maximum of $1000 for any single money order, so you would need two.

I would suggest that you not only keep the receipts, but also take a picture of the money orders on your phone and keep it until you are 100% certain the money has fully transferred into your account. Probably two months or more.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Silk McCue wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm Take a look at this thread from just a few days ago for alternatives.

I suggest asking Walmart your question directly.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336063&hilit=Deposi ... nline+bank

Cheers
Thanks SILK. Should have looked before posting...
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

CurlyDave wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 pm
Thanks!
Ff
While I do not get money orders from Walmart, I have tenants who do. It looks to me like they have a maximum of $1000 for any single money order, so you would need two.

I would suggest that you not only keep the receipts, but also take a picture of the money orders on your phone and keep it until you are 100% certain the money has fully transferred into your account. Probably two months or more.
Thanks CurlyDave.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

We only bank at Ally. The couple times we've had more cash than we wanted I've bought a money order at a supermarket and mailed it after first calling Ally to get the address and double check if the money order should be made out to me or Ally.
chalet

Post by chalet »

maybe one of those prepaid debit cards would help you get it online fast.

buy card, load cash.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

fortfun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 pm
Thanks!
Ff

CUs require a $5 untouchable balance to hold the membership open. Beyond that, you do not need to maintain any minimum balance with Penfed or Alliant, but I would expect each CU makes their own rules.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I always keep a brick and mortar account open for cash deposits and notary/signature guarantee services. Why the hesitation?
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

runner9 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:59 pm We only bank at Ally. The couple times we've had more cash than we wanted I've bought a money order at a supermarket and mailed it after first calling Ally to get the address and double check if the money order should be made out to me or Ally.
just chatted with them. made out to me and sent to them. Thanks!
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

Most online banks accept ATM cash deposits no? For example mine accepts deposits through the CO-OP network. Look at your online banks website, or check the back of your card for AllPoint+, CO-OP, PLUS shared deposits, etc.
Last edited by netrammgc on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abe

Post by Abe »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:13 pm I always keep a brick and mortar account open for cash deposits and notary/signature guarantee services. Why the hesitation?
Same here. I have an account at a local bank where I can deposit cash and then transfer it via a link account wherever I want to send it.
Slow and steady wins the race.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Abe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:33 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:13 pm I always keep a brick and mortar account open for cash deposits and notary/signature guarantee services. Why the hesitation?
Same here. I have an account at a local bank where I can deposit cash and then transfer it via a link account wherever I want to send it.
Yeah, mine has a drive through, so easy to deposit cash even during covid times.
ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl »

fortfun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 pm
Thanks!
Ff

I have 4 credit union accounts. I only needed $5.00 to maintain in the accounts. So you could draw down the available balance to zero. This would leave the $5.00 in the account.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

You could just spend down the cash and keep that much more in the online bank or swap it for a check from a friend to mail deposit in your online bank. It's probably easier to open and keep a local bank account for all the reasons already given.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

There are probably a few credit union or local bank options available just about everywhere with low or no monthly minimum balance limits on checking account now a days.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

netrammgc wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:32 pm Most online banks accept ATM cash deposits no? For example mine accepts deposits through the CO-OP network. Look at your online banks website, or check the back of your card for AllPoint+, CO-OP, PLUS shared deposits, etc.
I don't think Ally does :(
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you're in no big hurry, you could do something like I do.

I return cans and bottles and give them change to round it to the next dollar. When I hap pen to be near my credit union's ATM, I go in and feed in all those 1's. I just did this today with 17 ones. If I wanted this to go to my online bank, I'd ach it over.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:01 pm There are probably a few credit union or local bank options available just about everywhere with low or no monthly minimum balance limits on checking account now a days.
I'll look into this tomorrow. Not sure if credit unions will be open on MLK. Maybe Tuesday. Thanks..
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Just go to Walmart and purchase two money orders. Yes, they take cash! Total cost: $1.76 and a few minutes of your time. Keep it simple! :happy
retire57

Post by retire57 »

galawdawg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:12 pm Just go to Walmart and purchase two money orders. Yes, they take cash! Total cost: $1.76 and a few minutes of your time. Keep it simple! :happy
That's what we opted to do last week. Easy.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Just to update, Wal Mart Money orders now cost $1 each.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Thanks!
Ff
Yes they will.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

https://www.walmart.com/cp/money-orders/5791922

You can purchase Money Orders from any Walmart Supercenter or Neighborhood Market at the Customer Service Desk or Money Services Center. You’ll need:

• Payment for amount of the Money Order and the Money Order fee

◦ $0.88 max fee, exact fees vary by location

• You can pay with cash or a debit card
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

ColoRetiredGirl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:45 pm
I have 4 credit union accounts. I only needed $5.00 to maintain in the accounts. So you could draw down the available balance to zero. This would leave the $5.00 in the account.
Be sure to read their complete fee schedule and T&C. I have credit union accounts (checking and savings) that I opened in college. I used it for two decades as my primary bank account. No fees, local and network ATMs, ... Then I made Ally my main hub bank. Still kept about $1500 in checking and savings combined at the CU as a backup in case my Ally ATM card wasn’t accepted or lost.

Long story short, last December they sent me an email that they would ding me $5 for inactivity for each account. As they put it, “This fee was disclosed in the Member Agreement you received at the time you opened your account.” Right, that was 25 years ago.

(they eventually waived it and now I have a to-do item to transfer $1 from each account every quarter to Ally)

In my dormant PenFed share account I do the same.