Where do you buy coffee beans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lazydavid

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by lazydavid »

hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm I've been eyeing the Bullet for quite a while... when my Behmor dies I will have a decision to make. It's been a very good dependable roaster and I have learned quite a bit in the process. It would be nice if there were a few more roaster options to choose from without the price jump to the Bullet :shock: .
I had been reading about it for about two years, waffling back and forth about whether I wanted to spend the money on it. Finally decided I wanted to pull the trigger, so got pre-approval from the wife (definitely better to ask permission than forgiveness in this case :) ) and set up a monitor on VisualPing to watch the page for changes.
Nicolas wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 pm I went in the opposite direction, building the “Turbo-Crazy” roaster from a Stircrazy popcorn popper and a convection oven for about $75. I’ve been roasting with this setup for about eight years. I can roast a pound at a time. I did have to replace the convection oven twice when they failed for about $40 each.

Before that I just used hot air poppers from Goodwill for about nine years, but the Turbo-Crazy is better. You don’t need to spend thousands to roast delicious coffee.
All true. But I still love my bullet. I like the logging so I can see what's actually happening with the beans, I love the control over the process and repeatability. But perhaps most of all I love that I can turn out 11 lbs of perfectly roasted beans in about 90 minutes.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

I used to live down the street from PT Coffee in Topeka, KS. During the pandemic, I began reordering From them online. The beans arrive two days after they are roasted. Similar price point with Stumptown, which is also excellent.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:38 am All true. But I still love my bullet.
I’d love to have one of those, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t want to spend the money! :D

By the way, thanks for the tip about VisualPing, I didn’t know that existed!
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Counter Culture. Excellent quality and I live somewhat close to it so the shipping time is minimal.
https://counterculturecoffee.com/

I would say if you have a great roaster in your area, get beans from them. If you don't, then find a great roaster that ideally isn't clear across the country to reduce shipping days, which means fresher coffee for you.
shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 »

Costco
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm

... much editing ...

And, that is why you should buy coffee from someone like coffeeam.com that freshly roasted their coffee and then ship them directly to you. It takes about 3 days to reach most people and the timing is perfect for the coffee.

https://www.coffeeam.com/

<<Our coffee beans are fresh roasted daily and shipped in heat-sealed valve bags for maximum freshness.>>

KlangFool
I took your recommend a couple of months ago and ordered from coffeeAM in November. I just did my 3rd fairly large order from them this morning.
I'm very pleased with their coffees. Thanks!
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Morik wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 pm I just recently got a coffeemaker (prior to this I would drink coke zero in the morning, but am trying to get off soda).
I have a grinder and have been buying whole beans.
So far I've tried Amazon (found some really good beans, not too pricey), and Whole Foods. Whole Foods beans were ok; I felt the Valhala Java I found on Amazon was better.

Are there any other places I should check out for buying whole coffee beans?
Costco for me - kirkland signature is good but also the Ruta Maya is good. Haven't tried the other ones they sell at costco yet because I'm happy with those two.

Although I also buy occasionally from local roasters - but the price per pound is way more from local roasters and the flavor is about equivalent for me. (I use a Jura ENA Micro 90 Silver nowadays - also purchased at costco when they had a $300 off discount, prior to that used aeropress and moka pot)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I just bought a few bags of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Papua New Guinea Organic at Costco. I think around $13 for a 2-pound bag. Of the "cheap" whole-bean coffees I've bought it's my favorite, by a lot.
eric321

Post by eric321 »

Costco as well. They have different types of toasts and varies by region.

Starbucks French roast is my go to. Dark and smokey, my reference, but not others. $4-5 a pound. I grind my coffee before I brew which makes a big difference compared to roasting.

At the $8-10/lb range there are a variety of smaller coffee companies and varies by region. I mix it up from time to time and it's great.

Airtight storage for beans is important, in a cool dark place.

For something different, give the kona coffee company a try. Different soil, mostly volcanic which gives a unique taste. It comes at a premium but well worth it.
four7s

Post by four7s »

You can have a lot of fun trying different roasters and you’ll probably be happy with 75% of the ones you try. No matter which one tops your list you’ll after awhile get the urge for something new and different. Right now we’re drinking Peerless coffee from Oakland.
Bogle7

Novo Coffee

Post by Bogle7 »

https://novocoffee.com
We love the founders and the coffee.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:02 pm Let me be contrarian.

ALDI.

The German dark roast from ALDI is quite excellent.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Costco. Really happy with Peet's or Pleasant Hill Farms coffee.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

jlawrence01 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:01 pm
familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:02 pm Let me be contrarian.

ALDI.

The German dark roast from ALDI is quite excellent.
I'll have to look again! I've only seen German regular and German mild, but those are good, too.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

This thread made me want to have another cup of coffee. I usually just have one in the morning.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

When I was going into NYC for work, I'd stop at Porto Rico on Bleeker Street
They have a Vienna Roast, which is medium to dark. The store is tiny, burlap bags everywhere
https://www.portorico.com/store/

McNulty's Tea & Coffee Co on Christopher Street is good as well
https://mcnultys.com/

And Joe Coffee - they'll roast and ship next day
https://joecoffeecompany.com/

Someone mentioned Seattle Best which is decent.
Starbucks - agree that if I get a cup of coffee, way too burnt. Their beans, though are decent, can get them to grind the bag for you too if you want. Their Guatemala Antigua is good and almost always available.
We do have one of their specialty stores near us too - if they have Peruvian beans, I'll get those. Very tasty.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm
KlangFool wrote:Costco tends to over-roasted their own coffee beans and produce a burned taste.
That's because--with the exception of the few lucky locations that have an in-store roastery--Costco outsources their coffee roasting to Starbucks. And unfortunately, despite decades of experience, Starbucks still has no clue how to properly roast coffee beans.
I won't make presumptions on what beans are purchased by starbucks for their standard offerings or what their roasting strategy might be, but will say that lower quality beans typically are roasted darker to eliminate their bitterness under the assumption that a burnt toast flavor is preferred to an objectionably bitter flavor. Starbucks does offer a blonde roast that is lighter roasted than their norm, but there is no shortage of local roasters where I live that offer better roasted, better quality beans.

Some of the local starbucks where I live offer brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee at $5.50 for a 12oz cup, and it is properly roasted for a premium coffee bean. I pass on the beans at $48/lb, but pre-pandemic would occasionally treat myself to a cup in one of the cafes. I used to buy Jamaican coffee beans in the 1980's, but they have become too expensive these days.
Agapostemon

George Howell FTW!

Post by Agapostemon »

In the Boston area, it's tough to beat George Howell Coffee. GH was the founder of the late lamented Coffee Connection, which was bought out by Starbucks. As you know, SB proceeded to immolate the beautiful beans. Fortunately, GH founded a new chain of roasters. Their house coffee is a very nice Tarrazu.
https://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/

That said, my absolute favorite coffee right now is the Ethiopian Misty Valley available from New Harvest. They sell online, and are also carried by WF in the area.
https://newharvestcoffee.com/

Fazenda also produces a close second of the Misty Valley.
https://www.fazendacoffee.com/

Speedwell and Coffeeam.com do sound interesting. I'll have to check them out.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 pm What specific brand, bean and roast do those of you with a superautomatic use?
I love dark, robust coffee, and have been very happy with the Mayorga Cafe Cubano from Costco for the last several years. However, I understand you cannot use oily beans in a superautomatic, so I'm seeking a suitable replacement. I also read that the oils only come out of the beans when the beans are over-roasted (burned?).

Are any of the Costco blends appropriate for a Superautomatic?
Before I started roasting my own I used their Colombia supremo for several years. Excellent coffee.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I love my coffee, for about a year now I have been using Costco's, Jose's Gourmet organic Mayan Blend. I find it to be softer in acid, and milder in flavor. Whole beans in a burr grinder, and ceramic pour over brewer.
praxis

Post by praxis »

shariq1989 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:44 pmCostco
me too, but I buy their Ruta Maya one kilo dark roast whole bean.
kacang

Post by kacang »

We go through 1lb a week. For mud to open our eyes in the morning, Kirkland Sumatra is good enough, it's 6lb per order from Costco online. We supplement a few lbs from local roasters (Philz, Blue bottle) for variety. Also some Ruta Maya dark roast decaf for after dinner coffee, also from Costco online.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Ka'u Coffee Mill: Big Island, Hawaii. Shipped to me.
https://kaucoffeemill.com/
Koa Coffee Mill: Big Island, Hawaii. Shipped to me.
https://www.koacoffee.com/
Whole Bean Premium Peaberry Medium Roast.

My "fallback" when I run out are the "Original 8 O'clock" beans at Walmart. :shock: :shock:
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Costco Kirkland Signature Columbian Supremo, under $6/pound. Grind the beans fine in the burr grinder, then brew using the pour over method. Can’t function in the morning until I have had my life-giving brew 8-)
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I like the 2 Aldi flavors/types of whole coffee beans. Wal Mart has Eight O Clock Whole bean coffee which I also like.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

After 20 years we stopped buying Peets Major Dickinson ground coffee at Costco at $16/2lbs. We now go through the gourmet food section at Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx and sometimes Marshalls for discounted foreign coffee bean and pay from $5 to $8 for 8 ounces. The variety of flavors and strengths is what we look for. We have never been disappointed since we buy the small 8 ounce size.

We also buy discounted tea and French Chantaine Jams at the above stores. The jam is dynamite in plain yogurt.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

kacang wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 pm We go through 1lb a week. For mud to open our eyes in the morning, Kirkland Sumatra is good enough, it's 6lb per order from Costco online. We supplement a few lbs from local roasters (Philz, Blue bottle) for variety. Also some Ruta Maya dark roast decaf for after dinner coffee, also from Costco online.
For some reason it never occurred to me to look at Costco online for coffee. Thank you for that idea...will probably be my new source of coffee...
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

helloeveryone wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:52 pm Costco for me - kirkland signature is good but also the Ruta Maya is good. Haven't tried the other ones they sell at costco yet because I'm happy with those two.

Although I also buy occasionally from local roasters - but the price per pound is way more from local roasters and the flavor is about equivalent for me. (I use a Jura ENA Micro 90 Silver nowadays - also purchased at costco when they had a $300 off discount, prior to that used aeropress and moka pot)
Please elaborate - does this mean you use the Kirkland Signature and / or Ruta Maya in your Superauto? Are the beans oily? Have you had any issues with your Superauto clogging?
MrNo

Post by MrNo »

Lat year i started to make pour over coffee and i've been enjoying lately Organic Medium Good Morning Blend from Trader Joe's. 12ox for $15.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Saving$ wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:58 pm
helloeveryone wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:52 pm Costco for me - kirkland signature is good but also the Ruta Maya is good. Haven't tried the other ones they sell at costco yet because I'm happy with those two.

Please elaborate - does this mean you use the Kirkland Signature and / or Ruta Maya in your Superauto? Are the beans oily? Have you had any issues with your Superauto clogging?
Yes. I use any bean I buy in the Superauto. The beans do look oily. No issues so far thankfully. I've only owned the Jura about 1 year. I use the cleaning tablets whenever the machine promps me to.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:54 pm Ka'u Coffee Mill: Big Island, Hawaii. Shipped to me.

My "fallback" when I run out are the "Original 8 O'clock" beans at Walmart. :shock: :shock:
I'm working my way through a variety of Hawaiian coffees. So good! This is one I really like, but in 4 tries, haven't had anything bad!

https://bigislandcoffeeroasters.com/col ... e-darkwood
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

chuckb84 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:55 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:54 pm Ka'u Coffee Mill: Big Island, Hawaii. Shipped to me.

I'm working my way through a variety of Hawaiian coffees. So good! This is one I really like, but in 4 tries, haven't had anything bad!

https://bigislandcoffeeroasters.com/col ... e-darkwood
I'll check the link out.
Thanks!!

Mahalo
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

Port of Mokha for the best quality Yemeni beans. Durango Coffee Roasters for 90+ cup rated beans from around the world. Free shipping if buying > $50 worth.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

helloeveryone wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:25 am

Yes. I use any bean I buy in the Superauto. The beans do look oily. No issues so far thankfully. I've only owned the Jura about 1 year. I use the cleaning tablets whenever the machine promps me to.
You're going to want to use Urnex SuperGrindz if you wish to avoid an expensive repair in the future. Cleaning tablets do not address the buildup of oil on the internal grinder.

see, e.g., https://espresso-experts.com/blogs/espr ... rautomatic
https://new.seattlecoffeegear.com/blog/ ... ee%20robot.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Trader Joe's Breakfast Blend. It's very reasonably priced and mellow with the best flavor for caffeine kick for us for drip pour-over coffee. We do the Melitta thing.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I've been taking a break from home roasting the past couple of months and decided to try a weekly subscription, rotating every few months through several well regarded roasters around the US. Currently getting 12oz/week from Counter Culture Coffee in Durham, NC. The beans are good, but I'm a bit disappointed that they only change the selection monthly, so you get the same bean type/source/roast four weeks in a row before it changes. Will probably switch to another roaster shortly.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Counter Culture Coffee makes some awesome coffee. My local Whole Foods carries a couple of their varieties.
Bungo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:01 pm I've been taking a break from home roasting the past couple of months and decided to try a weekly subscription, rotating every few months through several well regarded roasters around the US. Currently getting 12oz/week from Counter Culture Coffee in Durham, NC. The beans are good, but I'm a bit disappointed that they only change the selection monthly, so you get the same bean type/source/roast four weeks in a row before it changes. Will probably switch to another roaster shortly.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I recently discovered Target's house brand, Good & Gather, has some excellent and cheap whole bean, single origin coffee. I'm currently drinking their Peru Amazonas, which is excellent and was only $6/12 oz., but it may be a limited time thing -- I can't find it on the Target website anymore.

Also, Target in my area carries a bunch of high quality coffees. Stumptown, Counter Culture, Intelligentsia, all quite fresh.
GR8FUL-D

Post by GR8FUL-D »

I just finished a two month-long experiment buying various brands of coffee at Costco, Fresh Market, Aldi's, Trader Joe's, and numerous different brands off of Amazon (including Amazon's own brand "Amazon Fresh").

To do a true taste-test comparison one would have to brew and taste them all simultaneously, which I did not do--I simply opened a bag, drank that brand until the bag was empty, and then moved onto the next. I do buy whole beans and use a burr grinder, but I don't use any fancy-pants brewing method. :wink:

There were several that seemed to be pretty similar in taste, but Trader Joe's "Joe's Dark Roast" was the one I'm going with moving forward. Bonus points for being one of the cheapest!
Volando

Post by Volando »

+1 for supporting local roaster if you have them around you!
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

GmanJeff wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:48 pm
helloeveryone wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:25 am

You're going to want to use Urnex SuperGrindz if you wish to avoid an expensive repair in the future. Cleaning tablets do not address the buildup of oil on the internal grinder.

see, e.g., https://espresso-experts.com/blogs/espr ... rautomatic
https://new.seattlecoffeegear.com/blog/ ... ee%20robot.
Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know that. Given no obvious difference in taste I’ll avoid the oily ones.
Room604

Post by Room604 »

I didn't want to read through four pages of coffee bean talk, so this may have been mentioned before. I've been using Happy Mug for a few years since they are fairly close to me. Great coffee and tea.

https://happymugcoffee.com/
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

I'm really enjoying Mt Comfort Peruvian coffee from Costco. Nice clean taste, true medium roast. Reminds me of Eight o' Clock Columbian Peaks. This coffee goes for about $5 a lb. I think it's as good as the $16 a lb. gourmet stuff.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

I know this is an old post but I use deans beans and redbird. Unfortunately usps has taken about 10-14 days lately.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Room604 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 am I didn't want to read through four pages of coffee bean talk, so this may have been mentioned before. I've been using Happy Mug for a few years since they are fairly close to me. Great coffee and tea.

https://happymugcoffee.com/
Yes it was mentioned here once on October 21st last year. I found it instantly by running a word search for “happy mug” in the little box at the top of the thread that says “Search this topic...”.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I already answered the first time around, but I can’t believe that in four pages, nobody, including me, thought to mention Caffe Umbria in Seattle. ( https://caffeumbria.com/) Quality is up there with Stumptown and Counter Culture and similar, and they do mail order.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:57 pm
simplesimon wrote:Do you have a Costco by you?
simplesimon,

Costco tends to over-roasted their own coffee beans and produce a burned taste.

KlangFool
Generally the burned/bitter taste comes from beans from different area's mixed together verses single origin beans (one farm only).
Coscto/Folgers/etc are 7 bean blends vs Pike's Place (Starbucks) 3 bean or Dunkin's 2 bean coffee.

Pike's Place is a bit bitter which is why allot of people make the joke about Starbucks being a fancy milk store while Dunkin needs less milk and sugar.
I tend to drink single origin coffee black with little to no sugar but any store coffee will be loaded with milk and honey other than Dunkin I can get away with just a single flavor shot.

I like buying from

https://www.kumacoffee.com/collections/frontpage
https://happymugcoffee.com/collections/roasted-coffee

I still like counterculturecoffee.com but only if I buy directly from them. Buying it from amazon/target/etc is a bean travesty similar to what happened to our (Kansas City) theroasterie.com when they went big - they ship allot of mixed bean coffee like it's a good thing due to demand.

I tend to not drink it fast so I keep them in Coffeevac containers until I'm ready to grind some beans.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I have a subscription through Driftaway Coffee. It was economical compared to many other subscription offerings, especially buying a 1 year gift subscription (for myself) around Black Friday. It's around $15 per 1 pound delivered every 2 weeks. The beans are rotated regularly and roasted fresh. I primarily make pourover coffee and have a LIDO E-T hand grinder.
Last edited by Ketawa on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

brad.clarkston wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:17 pm
simplesimon,

KlangFool
Generally the burned/bitter taste comes from beans from different area's mixed together verses single origin beans (one farm only).
Coscto/Folgers/etc are 7 bean blends vs Pike's Place (Starbucks) 3 bean or Dunkin's 2 bean coffee.
brad.clarkston,

I disagreed. If you buy coffee from roaster that roast coffee in a small batch, they do not taste burn even from blended coffee. If you buy coffee from Swing coffee, they roast coffee from different area separately, then, they blended it together for some of their blended coffee. I had bought 100+ different coffee and tasted them all.

https://swingscoffee.com/product/mesco-blend-2/

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm
brad.clarkston wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:17 pm
simplesimon,

KlangFool
brad.clarkston,

I disagreed. If you buy coffee from roaster that roast coffee in a small batch, they do not taste burn even from blended coffee. If you buy coffee from Swing coffee, they roast coffee from different area separately, then, they blended it together for some of their blended coffee. I had bought 100+ different coffee and tasted them all.

https://swingscoffee.com/product/mesco-blend-2/

KlangFool

My point was a general data point while you cherry picked a single roaster I have no opinion on as I haven't sampled them but I'll trust your judgement.

90% of the time a bitter flavor will be due to batching several different beans together and then roasting them. This saves money but degrades the product no matter who the company is. The easiest way to test it is to drink it as an espresso with hot water (americano) the better bean(s) will always be evident.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni