Simple but fun cars

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ClevrChico

Re: Simple but fun cars

Post by ClevrChico »

Any 10 - 20 year old Honda/Acura model with a manual transmission would fit the requirements too.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 am For reference my current daily driver is a 2001 Porsche Carrera Cab. It is a fun car to drive but has a lot of electronics (throttle by wire, power everything, etc). I have had to trouble shoot some electrical window issues and it was a pain. Has micro switches everywhere and is complex. Would love to have an older model like the 964 or 993 but they are expensive. Miata with a turbo or blower or even LS3 might be the answer. Caterham would be fun, but not good in the winter. Morgan is on my list also. I have owned old Triumph TR250, Spitfire, Jensen Interceptor with 440 Magnum, Alfa Spyder, Fiat 124, and a Jeep Wrangler. Would love to have an older Porsche or British car and a Jeep at the same time. Want a car that is EMP bomb proof if there is such a thing. 8-)
WTH??? You’re driving a 911 and complaining?!?! You already have the best car in the world!
johncunningham

Post by johncunningham »

Love these car threads. I think you are getting good advice. Get 2 cars. You are halfway to my dream already. Porsche cabriolet and a Jeep.

I have a 2013 Jeep 4 door and a 2011 M3 convertible. They are both reliable enough and inexpensive enough to drive and have fun with.

I’m actively looking for 2007-2009 911 turbo cabriolet with a manual transmission. After the M3, not sure where else to go without spending a ton more money.

I will also say, and I realize it’s personal preference, that you seem to share, but convertible is the only way to go for a play car. Feel the sun and the wind, hear the car’s sounds...

Good luck. I’m going to pay attention to this thread.

One last tidbit. Jalopnik.com has a weekly (ish) post entitled “what car should I buy”. You can submit your question. I bet it would get published. The “expert” opinions are sometimes a bit out there, but the readers often have good ideas...
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

rob wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:41 pm
dlw322 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 pm Fiat 124 Spyder. Get it before they are all gone. 2020 was the last year. Similar to the Miata but I think the styling is better.
I don't think "similar" is the right word.... Mazda put Fiat badges on them and some minor trim changes and some more $ to buy.
Different bodywork. Fiat engine. It has that fender seam that once you look at it, you can't unsee it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

A few years ago when I cross a milestone age, I sat down and tried to make a list of every car that I had ever owned. It was interesting but I probably still forgot a couple. Back when I was autocrossing there were some of my favorite cars but I was spending way too much time with the hood up and my crack showing. The most dramatic change was when Toyota mini-vans became part of my car life and now electric vehicles, which do not seem to involve working on anything.

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:54 am DW and I don't care for the current trend of driving an "iPad on Wheels".
(Includes Pre-OBD 1 engine control cars)
MGB
Triumph Spitfire
Triumph TR4 A-IRS
Triumph TR6
Austin Healey MKIII 3000
426 Hemi Roadrunner (stock with dual quads on a cross ram manifold)
65' Mustang Fastback with a 289
Datsun 240Z
Anything with a 327 or 426 engine in it. :D :D
Anything with an early 302 or 351 engine in it. :D :D
Early 1 and 2nd gen. Mazda Miata's
Early Toyota's (4R engines) and "Datson's"
*John Deere Tractor (Perkins Diesel)
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I came here to say Miata, too.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 am For reference my current daily driver is a 2001 Porsche Carrera Cab. It is a fun car to drive but has a lot of electronics (throttle by wire, power everything, etc). I have had to trouble shoot some electrical window issues and it was a pain. Has micro switches everywhere and is complex. Would love to have an older model like the 964 or 993 but they are expensive. Miata with a turbo or blower or even LS3 might be the answer. Caterham would be fun, but not good in the winter. Morgan is on my list also. I have owned old Triumph TR250, Spitfire, Jensen Interceptor with 440 Magnum, Alfa Spyder, Fiat 124, and a Jeep Wrangler. Would love to have an older Porsche or British car and a Jeep at the same time. Want a car that is EMP bomb proof if there is such a thing. 8-)
If you want a real drivers car without all the bells and whistles I'd also look at a Lotus Evora GT. You can get it in a manual with a mechanical shifter, also has a mechanical steering rack, all aluminum, fully modifiable toe and camber, has a V6 Toyota engine w/a supercharger in it, and basically one driving mode (sport). Plus you can buy it new (for now, it'll be gone soon).

If you want totally raw drivers car there's also the Ariel Atom, which is literal mechanical everything. There's barely a even a gauge cluster. And though it's street legal, you're mostly going to be driving that on a track.

If you want EMP bomb proof buy a 2000-ish Japanese sports car, like a Type-R or something. Of course you're going to pay out the nose for one, assuming it hasn't been modded to death already. But those Honda and Toyota motors from back then last forever.
alwi228

Post by alwi228 »

I was in high school when the 2003/2004 Mustang Cobras came out. For those who aren't familiar, these particular models (terminators) came with superchargers and engines built like Mack trucks from Ford having to do some PR damage control from the previous years Cobra. Anyways, 6 speed, depreciation curve has bottomed out and are now on the rise the last 12 months. I picked up a convertible last summer because I agree with a previous post...having a convertible as your fun car is such a blast, but with most, and definitely the 03/04 Cobras, coupes are holding their values even more.