Apple's Using Up All My Data !

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Apple's Using Up All My Data !

Post by LifeIsGood »

I've got a prepaid cell plan with a modest amount of cellular data (500MB/month) that's always been adequate for my needs. I recently got a new iPhone 12 and suddenly I'm running out of data very early in the month. I've turned off everything I can think of that might be using cellular data but am still having a problem. The lion's share of the data drain is with System Services and specifically Documents and Sync. My wife has an iPhone 11 and she's barely using any data at all and both our phones are set up pretty much the same regarding cellular data usage. We are both running IOS 14.3
I've called Apple and scoured the internet but can't seem to plug this data drain. Any help would be much appreciated.
chipperd

Re: Apple's Using Up All My Data !

Post by chipperd »

The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you have enabled the phones ability to connect to your wifi at home whenever you are in range of your home's wifi. A new phone won't do this automatically. Otherwise you will be just on your cellular plan 100% of the time and chow data.
Here's how: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202639
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Click on Settings, scroll down and select Cellular, scroll all the way to the bottom and there is a button for iCloud Drive that you can deselect so that your iPhone won't use cellular data to sync or transfer documents and data.
wander

Post by wander »

I would just turn off Wifi Assist (Settings > Cellular): Pull all the way down, you will see Wifi-assist. While you are there, anything you don't want to use cellular data, turn it off.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Make sure to turn on Low Data Mode.

Honestly, I don’t think 500Mb is adequate in this day and age - phones are not designed to work on that limited a data plan. If you really don’t want to go over, then leave cellular data turned off entirely unless you are explicitly using it for something.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

onourway wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:52 am Make sure to turn on Low Data Mode.

Honestly, I don’t think 500Mb is adequate in this day and age - phones are not designed to work on that limited a data plan. If you really don’t want to go over, then leave cellular data turned off entirely unless you are explicitly using it for something.
+1. Good point and a good idea on how to manage a phone on limited data.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Assuming you've already turned off cellular usage for apps that can use a lot of data (e.g. Photos), then I agree with the suggestion to turn it off for iCloud Drive.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I found that setting a while ago and it has been disabled but thanks for the suggestion.
lthenderson wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:19 am Click on Settings, scroll down and select Cellular, scroll all the way to the bottom and there is a button for iCloud Drive that you can deselect so that your iPhone won't use cellular data to sync or transfer documents and data.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

In addition to what other posters mentioned -
Go to Background App Refresh and select the option that it will only refresh over wi-fi instead.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:53 am I've got a prepaid cell plan with a modest amount of cellular data (500MB/month) that's always been adequate for my needs. I recently got a new iPhone 12 and suddenly I'm running out of data very early in the month. I've turned off everything I can think of that might be using cellular data but am still having a problem. The lion's share of the data drain is with System Services and specifically Documents and Sync. My wife has an iPhone 11 and she's barely using any data at all and both our phones are set up pretty much the same regarding cellular data usage. We are both running IOS 14.3
I've called Apple and scoured the internet but can't seem to plug this data drain. Any help would be much appreciated.
Say hello to a new unlimited plan! Well worth the spend. :beer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
FIBoston

Post by FIBoston »

Turning off background app refresh on all the apps is a good idea. This is what I did and my data usage plummeted. On my previous iPhones this was already turned off, but for some reason when I upgraded to the iPhone 12 it was turned on for every single app.
jj45

Post by jj45 »

Go to Settings/Cellular and scroll down to see which apps are using data. Then you can adjust preferences as others describe to prevent those apps from using cellular data. In the past I have had problems with poorly designed apps that eat data unnecessarily.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

This. I can’t use the cell service in my home. If I don’t turn the cell off, the battery loses all power overnight.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:53 am I've got a prepaid cell plan with a modest amount of cellular data (500MB/month) that's always been adequate for my needs. I recently got a new iPhone 12 and suddenly I'm running out of data very early in the month. I've turned off everything I can think of that might be using cellular data but am still having a problem. The lion's share of the data drain is with System Services and specifically Documents and Sync. My wife has an iPhone 11 and she's barely using any data at all and both our phones are set up pretty much the same regarding cellular data usage. We are both running IOS 14.3
So this could be a number of things. There are lots of apps that use icloud to sync with their server so it isn't necessarily something apple related. The only true way to figure out the culprit, is to turn sync data off for all apps, and then turn them back on one by one over the course of a few days and see when the documents and sync data usage number starts to increase.

Specifically, the route would be "settings", "apple ID, iCloud, media & purchases" (at the very top), "icloud", and then scroll down through the "Apps using icloud". I'd turn all those off and then turn them on one by one and see when the data use starts to go up under the documents and sync section.

The trick is that this isn't found under the cellular data menu like you'd think.

Here is someone's success story from another forum:
For me, it also was an app that caused this, consuming about 60 MB per day with Documents & Sync - I left iCloud syncing on, then switched off all possible switches from the settings in the iCloud section, and the problem was gone. Then I switched them on one by one over a few days and observed the mobile data usage, which lead to a small game that apparently uses iCloud for whatever and uses 60 MB a day on syncing via mobile network - so switching everything else on and that app off in the iCloud settings did the trick.
Last edited by OnceARunner on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Sounds like you have Sync turned on for everything and it is trying to sync initially for the new phone. I go the Apple ID and turn off Icloud sync for just about everything except contacts. Otherwise, just manually sync once and you should be fine.

edit: basically oncearunner beat me to it. see above.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:20 am

This. I can’t use the cell service in my home. If I don’t turn the cell off, the battery loses all power overnight.
Is the phone connected to Wifi? I've never had this happened when I had a wifi connection, even with my old Android 6.0 LG4. With my iphone 12-mini it rarely loses power overnight. But, I should add, I made a couple of setting changes -- in each case I have configured mail to not use push service and only pull mail every 30 minutes.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

Take a look at Mint Mobile. $15/mo for Unlimited talk, text and 3gb of data. Unlimited data is $30/month. I usually can't use less than 5gb of data per month on cellular as I find it convenient and the price is not bad at all.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Bad Apple!

My usage is averaging 10 GB a month. And I use Wifi extensively and whenever I can. With 500MB data, I think iPhone is not the way to go. Maybe a flip phone.
Time is the ultimate currency.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Wow, I don't even use 10gb in a year (me and spouse). But I don't do video so that might be the difference.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Bogle7

Not ours

Post by Bogle7 »

onourway wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:52 amHonestly, I don’t think 500Mb is adequate in this day and age
I disagree.

1. I assume you meant MB and not Mb.

2. Our average usage over the last 3 months for 2 iPhones and an Apple watch was 330 MB/month.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Under Settings > Cellular Data, there's a list of all apps, and right under the app name it shows (in rather tiny font) how much data it has used (you can reset the counter at the bottom of this screen).
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

With every new OS Apple adds new "features" where they snag your data for their own use. You can look up these features and turn them off. There are several youtube videos on how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIWRBz8o9W0

Try these and see of it helps.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

H-Town wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 am Bad Apple!

My usage is averaging 10 GB a month. And I use Wifi extensively and whenever I can. With 500MB data, I think iPhone is not the way to go. Maybe a flip phone.
My wife and I both have apple phones, SE 2000 and iPhone 11, and neither use over 100 MB/month.
We use WIFI almost exclusively.

With 500 Mbit/sec WIFI with no data caps in my home, and Gigabit in my office,
and navigation GPS in both cars, there is no need to use cellular data except for the occasional
looking up of information when we are out and about, or using the phone as a hotspot in a meeting
where there is no public WIFI available.

If I want to watch a movie away from WIFI, like on a plane or in an airport, I download from
Netflix onto my phone ahead of time, so I don't need to use data for watching the movie.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 am

Is the phone connected to Wifi? I've never had this happened when I had a wifi connection, even with my old Android 6.0 LG4. With my iphone 12-mini it rarely loses power overnight. But, I should add, I made a couple of setting changes -- in each case I have configured mail to not use push service and only pull mail every 30 minutes.
Yes, if both are on, it will still try to find the cell tower - flickers between onebar and none. If wifi is off and cell on it drains very fast. Blue tooth drains the phone fast too.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 am

Thanks for tip on mail. I’ve changed my settings to yours.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

As mentioned in my initial post, Documents and Sync is using almost all my data and there's no way (that I've found) to turn that off.
jj45 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am Go to Settings/Cellular and scroll down to see which apps are using data. Then you can adjust preferences as others describe to prevent those apps from using cellular data. In the past I have had problems with poorly designed apps that eat data unnecessarily.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thanks so much for this. As you pointed out, I was concentrating on items listed under CELLULAR . I've done as you suggested and will proceed from there.

quote=OnceARunner post_id=5737940 time=1610727649 user_id=53283]
So this could be a number of things. There are lots of apps that use icloud to sync with their server so it isn't necessarily something apple related. The only true way to figure out the culprit, is to turn sync data off for all apps, and then turn them back on one by one over the course of a few days and see when the documents and sync data usage number starts to increase.

Specifically, the route would be "settings", "apple ID, iCloud, media & purchases" (at the very top), "icloud", and then scroll down through the "Apps using icloud". I'd turn all those off and then turn them on one by one and see when the data use starts to go up under the documents and sync section.

The trick is that this isn't found under the cellular data menu like you'd think.

Here is someone's success story from another forum:
For me, it also was an app that caused this, consuming about 60 MB per day with Documents & Sync - I left iCloud syncing on, then switched off all possible switches from the settings in the iCloud section, and the problem was gone. Then I switched them on one by one over a few days and observed the mobile data usage, which lead to a small game that apparently uses iCloud for whatever and uses 60 MB a day on syncing via mobile network - so switching everything else on and that app off in the iCloud settings did the trick.
[/quote]
onourway

Post by onourway »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 am As mentioned in my initial post, Documents and Sync is using almost all my data and there's no way (that I've found) to turn that off.
jj45 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am Go to Settings/Cellular and scroll down to see which apps are using data. Then you can adjust preferences as others describe to prevent those apps from using cellular data. In the past I have had problems with poorly designed apps that eat data unnecessarily.
How much data is Documents and Sync using, and how quickly? You can reset the data counter to get a sense of this.

A quick search indicates that this problem may be related to iMessage, perhaps with video or other media trying to repeatedly sync, and may be fixed by logging out of your iCloud account, resetting the phone, and setting up again as new. Apple may be willing to troubleshoot with you if it is indeed using an unusual amount of data.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thanks. I picked up a few tip from the video.
bogledogle wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am
With every new OS Apple adds new "features" where they snag your data for their own use. You can look up these features and turn them off. There are several youtube videos on how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIWRBz8o9W0

Try these and see of it helps.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

CyclingDuo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:44 am
Say hello to a new unlimited plan! Well worth the spend. :beer
That's true lol. It's like getting an elephant as a pet and feeding it peanuts.

That said, I have an iPhone SE (first gen not second) and have the basic Tello plan. While at home, I keep cellular turned off.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 am As mentioned in my initial post, Documents and Sync is using almost all my data and there's no way (that I've found) to turn that off.
While at home, if you turn off cellular - period - that should work!
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

OnceARunner, you nailed it. THANKS !!! After speaking with 2 Apple support reps and posting on MacRumors forum with no success I finally stopped the leaking of cellular data thanks to your suggestion. I left the house twice yesterday but didn't use my phone. Neither trip used any data. In the past this would have eaten up 75-100MB of data. Now I'll have to turn apps back on 1 at a time and see which one(s) is hogging all my data.
stinkycat

Post by stinkycat »

My default is to keep the data turned off because I am on wifi 90% of the time. As a result, I use very little data. I have a paygo type plan and have considered upgrading, but it is hard to see the benefit being greater than the cost. The only downside is if I have to use GIS, which is a real data hog. Maps.me mitigates that to some extent, although it is not as user friendly as google maps or the iphone maps.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Let us know which app was the guilty party.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I don't really understand the point of an iPhone 12 (a very high end phone) with a 500MB plan. That's not even enough for light web browsing, much less streaming or gaming. Why the high end media and gaming phone without data to use?
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 am Let us know which app was the guilty party.
+1
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:04 am OnceARunner, you nailed it. THANKS !!! After speaking with 2 Apple support reps and posting on MacRumors forum with no success I finally stopped the leaking of cellular data thanks to your suggestion. I left the house twice yesterday but didn't use my phone. Neither trip used any data. In the past this would have eaten up 75-100MB of data. Now I'll have to turn apps back on 1 at a time and see which one(s) is hogging all my data.
Make sure to report back what it is. I hate data hogs, and it makes you wonder what data they are getting and what are they doing with it? I'm not a tinfoil hat kind of a guy, but it does make you wonder if someone is getting stuff they shouldn't. I have to disagree with all the people who just wanted to increase your data and not worry about it. If you got an electric bill for $1,000 when it should be $100 wouldn't you try to figure out where it went?
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
euroswiss

Post by euroswiss »

Ha! My wife and I share a plan that comes with 100Mb per month (Ting) and we almost NEVER run over. We do have e-mail cellular enabled, so that uses most of the data. Other than that almost everything is turned off (internet use on a case by case basis, but very rare as we both hate the small screen).
Last edited by euroswiss on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

an_asker wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:21 am
While at home, if you turn off cellular - period - that should work!
Depending on your needs, you can also just turn on Airplane mode and that should prevent sending/receiving anything. Of course that includes calls as well so if you need to receive incoming calls you shouldn't do this.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

I have been on a low data plan for 7 years. Our usage on 2 plans is usually less than 200 mb per month. I have the 2nd gen iPhone SE.

Ways to save data:
-always leave on “low data mode” for cellular data. It is buried somewhere in the settings
-always connect to wife at home / work
-download offline maps
-disable video auto play in all apps you may use (Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Reddit etc)
-enable low data mode if available in some of the main apps you use (Facebook, Pinterest?, others)
-minimize use on data heavy apps with lots of pics such as above when not on WiFi. Read bogleheads instead (low data usage)
-disable all available sync to be on WiFi only (google photos has this as a default)

The ability for us to use very little data over the years has saved us thousand of dollars. I am happy to modify my behavior a little to save significant amount.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I buy a yearly prepaid plan and I'm only 6 months into it. I can purchase more data if I run out. Until I got the iPhone 12, my modest data allotment was more than sufficient for my needs. My problem stems from the huge increase in background data utilization WITHOUT any changes in my normal pattern of data usage.
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:43 am I don't really understand the point of an iPhone 12 (a very high end phone) with a 500MB plan. That's not even enough for light web browsing, much less streaming or gaming. Why the high end media and gaming phone without data to use?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

H-Dog wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm -always connect to wife at home / work
Always good advice.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

LifeIsGood wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:56 am I buy a yearly prepaid plan and I'm only 6 months into it. I can purchase more data if I run out. Until I got the iPhone 12, my modest data allotment was more than sufficient for my needs. My problem stems from the huge increase in background data utilization WITHOUT any changes in my normal pattern of data usage.
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:43 am I don't really understand the point of an iPhone 12 (a very high end phone) with a 500MB plan. That's not even enough for light web browsing, much less streaming or gaming. Why the high end media and gaming phone without data to use?
While I sympathize with your frustration, the bottom line is that a high end phone requires a high end data plan. And if you plan to use high data apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Photos, Maps, etc, you need a high end data plan. The evolution of software is driving the evolution of the hardware, and that, in turn, is driving up the amount of data that needs to be transmitted between the phone and the cloud.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:03 am While I sympathize with your frustration, the bottom line is that a high end phone requires a high end data plan. And if you plan to use high data apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Photos, Maps, etc, you need a high end data plan. The evolution of software is driving the evolution of the hardware, and that, in turn, is driving up the amount of data that needs to be transmitted between the phone and the cloud.
Much of this can be shut down in settings but it does take some work. But it also took some work in Android to block all the background data over cellular data pipe.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Does turning off 5G help?
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:03 am While I sympathize with your frustration, the bottom line is that a high end phone requires a high end data plan.
As a general statement that sounds overblown. A high end phone (iPhone 12) and a mid range phone (iPhone SE 2020) can run the same apps - they should be (and are) able to run fine with a high, mid, or low end data plan.

What specific feature on the high end phone are you talking about? There's nothing really about a high end phone that requires a high end data plan. The idea that it does sounds like "if you want a high end steak, you need high end wine, high end mashed potatoes and high end service to really get the most out of the steak."
UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:03 am And if you plan to use high data apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Photos, Maps, etc, you need a high end data plan. The evolution of software is driving the evolution of the hardware, and that, in turn, is driving up the amount of data that needs to be transmitted between the phone and the cloud.
This is more defensible. Many apps are indeed very chatty. None of those apps are specific to high end phones. I don't see how that supports the idea that you're required to have a high end data plan - one can use a high or mid or low end phone with a low end data plan, it all depends on how much you want to use the phone when you're not near wifi. Fortunately there are some configuration options to limit the amount of data sent by apps.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:03 amWhile I sympathize with your frustration, the bottom line is that a high end phone requires a high end data plan. And if you plan to use high data apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Photos, Maps, etc, you need a high end data plan. The evolution of software is driving the evolution of the hardware, and that, in turn, is driving up the amount of data that needs to be transmitted between the phone and the cloud.
If the OP's utilization of data-reliant features of their phone takes place almost entirely while connected to WiFi, it should not require a plan with a large data allowance.
goblue100 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 amMake sure to report back what it is. I hate data hogs, and it makes you wonder what data they are getting and what are they doing with it? I'm not a tinfoil hat kind of a guy, but it does make you wonder if someone is getting stuff they shouldn't. I have to disagree with all the people who just wanted to increase your data and not worry about it. If you got an electric bill for $1,000 when it should be $100 wouldn't you try to figure out where it went?
I've noticed the Android phone they issued me for work seems to download 1-2 GB per month in updates, mostly through the Play store or from Samsung. This is despite the fact that I've installed only one or two non-work-related programs, I've removed quite a few of the bloatware programs it came pre-installed with, I've disabled most of those I do not have permissions to uninstall, and I've disabled that stupid Bixby program Samsung thinks should pester us.

There's probably more I could do, but I stop caring past a point, since it belongs to the company.

It does 80% of so of this over WiFi, but for some reason does some of the downloads over the mobile connection, too.

We're switching to Android Enterprise soon. I'm hoping it is much cleaner.