Products to remove grime from metal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Products to remove grime from metal

Post by Caduceus »

I am trying to clean the back of a fairly large vintage clock. The back isn't particularly important. It's just one large round metal piece, although I can't tell what type of metal it is. It looks silverish-greenish after dirt is wiped off.

The problem is that it's taking me forever to clean the thing. I'd estimate it takes me an hour to really completely get all the layers of dirt and grime off an area the size of an Iphone. But maybe that's because I'm only using a soft cotton cloth and distilled water. And also, it was in a brothel/gambling den for the better part of a century so the exterior really is quite filthy.

Is there an easier, safer way to do this, since I can't dunk the whole thing in water and just scrub away to my heart's delight. Has anyone tried rubbing alcohol? Has it harmed the metal?
barnaclebob

Re: Products to remove grime from metal

Post by barnaclebob »

is it tarnish? Have you tried vinegar? What does the grime appear to be, does it smell? Pictures would also help.

No matter what you do, try a very small area first.

Are you looking to preserve value or to just make it look nice?
Watty

Post by Watty »

How valuable is it?

If you do more than a superficial cleaning you will likely lose a lot of any value that it has.

You need to be careful.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Barkeeper's Friend?
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am is it tarnish? Have you tried vinegar? What does the grime appear to be, does it smell? Pictures would also help.

I don't think it's tarnish. The stuff that comes off just looks like black dirt and soot. The underlying metal is silverish with a tinge of blueish-green, which I assume is the oxidised/tarnish color, so I don't think I'm removing that, although even if I accidentally removed the tarnish like the idiots who restored the Sistine chapel removed the shadows from the frescoes (thinking it was soot), it would just be a clock, and the back of it at that.

I don't think I can use vinegar - aren't acids in general harmful to vintage/antique things?

I'm looking to stabilize the object and just have it be less dirty. It doesn't have to be 100% clean, but right now it's 100% filthy. I'm not doing anything much to the front as I have no experience properly handling conservation work for that.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 am
barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am is it tarnish? Have you tried vinegar? What does the grime appear to be, does it smell? Pictures would also help.

I don't think it's tarnish. The stuff that comes off just looks like black dirt and soot. The underlying metal is silverish with a tinge of blueish-green, which I assume is the oxidised/tarnish color, so I don't think I'm removing that, although even if I accidentally removed the tarnish like the idiots who restored the Sistine chapel removed the shadows from the frescoes (thinking it was soot), it would just be a clock, and the back of it at that.

I don't think I can use vinegar - aren't acids in general harmful to vintage/antique things?

I'm looking to stabilize the object and just have it be less dirty. It doesn't have to be 100% clean, but right now it's 100% filthy.
Yeah im not sure if vinegar is a good choice for your application but it does frequently bring the shine back to metals if that's what you want. I'm betting someone with much better antique restoration knowledge will have a heart attack when they read this thread and chime in.

If you just want to remove the grime, you could try with something that has more scrubbing power before you try any chemicals. There are various grits? of industrial scotch brite which could help speed the process:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/119 ... ochure.pdf

You could also just try the green or blue stuff from the grocery store and go very lightly at first to make sure you get the results you want.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I'm looking to stabilize the object and just have it be less dirty. It doesn't have to be 100% clean, but right now it's 100% filthy. I'm not doing anything much to the front as I have no experience properly handling conservation work for that.
On the well-known TV show they usually say NOT to clean it.

Now if you do want to clean it anyway- if it's not water-soluble it might be solvent-soluble. Try vodka, because of its previous life it may respond well. Cheap vodka will be fine.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Try some Brasso. Regardless of the name, it's not for brass only.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Consider trying #0000 ultra fine steel wool.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Try a plastic scrubbing pad first with mild soap and warm water.
msi

Post by msi »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 am Barkeeper's Friend?
+1 Nothing works like Barkeeper's Friend.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I'm a big fan of Dawn dish soap for grime - which is usually 'grease' and dust. It might also have a nice coating of nicotine.
Dawn should do the job. Use hot/warm soapy water and an old tooth brush or cloth to clean with.

Added: it has to be Dawn - trust me. I've tried other dish washing detergents - it's hit or miss which will cut thru the grime.
If you don't have Dawn at home - a drop or two or three of HE liquid laundry detergent (Tide or ALL for example) in hot/warm water might work as well. Liquid laundry detergent is some amazing stuff when it comes to cleaning.

If you are truly desperate and have done absolutely every thing you can:
There's a cleaning product TSP that will deal with the nicotine and anything else on it - but I strongly urge you to read the directions and to follow them. TSP can strip the paint off walls for example. Used correctly and with a bit of care it works really well.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Post a Pic ...
Antique Clock, Lets see whatcha got. Does it Keep Good time? Chime?
That's a good Covid pastime...
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 am

On the well-known TV show they usually say NOT to clean it.

Now if you do want to clean it anyway- if it's not water-soluble it might be solvent-soluble. Try vodka, because of its previous life it may respond well. Cheap vodka will be fine.
I'd use denatured alcohol before vodka. Vodka will have various impurities that will remain as deposits after the alcohol evaporates. Plus, voka is only ~40% alcohol, which means it has a lot of water in it. Denatured alcohol should just evaporate and will do so quickly.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

msi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:01 am
For pots, pans, and sinks yes. No way in heck I'd put it on any antique unless a last resort.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

First, try liquids that won't harm the metal: alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Dawn, mineral spirits.
Second, try liquids that are mildly abrasive such as Brasso.
Third, never use abrasives or metal such as Comet, Barkeepers Friend, steel wool.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
msi

Post by msi »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 pm
For pots, pans, and sinks yes. No way in heck I'd put it on any antique unless a last resort.
Bogle7 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:51 pm First, try liquids that won't harm the metal: alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Dawn, mineral spirits.
Third, never use abrasives or metal such as Comet, Barkeepers Friend, steel wool.
Barkeeper's Friend is intended for use on metal, and you can also use it on lots of other surfaces: https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/products/cleanser/

Just test in a small area first. This is the back of a clock we're talking about.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

I've used this product 'as a cleaner' with great success on multiple items - including an antique coal scuttle. Flitz.

amazing stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Plastic-Fi ... 7525354483
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

Is it sticky? If all else fails try lacquer thinner. Like others have said try a small area first.
mkc

Post by mkc »

What's the intent in cleaning it? If it's potentially valuable, I would not use a chemical or abrasive cleaner on it until I knew what the base metal was. I would absolutely not use Barkeeper's Friend or Brasso on it until I knew what it was.

Many years ago (like 28-30), DH and I restored antique clocks as a hobby. There are a number of resources for clock restoration materials, safe cleaners, etc. I would look to them for help in identification of the clock and the materials and cleaning methods.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Watty wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am How valuable is it?

If you do more than a superficial cleaning you will likely lose a lot of any value that it has.

You need to be careful.
+1
I am trying to clean the back of a fairly large vintage clock.
like erasing history. :( why clean the back if no one will see it anyway?
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

msi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:51 pm First, try liquids that won't harm the metal: alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Dawn, mineral spirits.
Barkeeper's Friend is intended for use on metal, and you can also use it on lots of other surfaces: https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/products/cleanser/

Just test in a small area first. This is the back of a clock we're talking about.
It leaves minute scratches in the metal, FYI. It's acidic and mildly abrasive, more abrasive than a metal polish like Braddock, but less abrasive than steel wool.
Pedro Smada

Post by Pedro Smada »

Micro Fiber cloths work with hot water and or clean solutions.
Mothers make some good metal polish/cleaners. Usually found in the car care aisle.
corysold

Post by corysold »

I’ve used Everbrite products on metal like you describe with good success
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

How about WD-40 or Dawn dishwashing liquid.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

I clean antique sewing machines where you do not want to pit the metal (chrome parts etc) nor remove the shellac finish exposing the decals and causing 'silvering'. These machines, depending on the year/age and manufacturing location are very sought after and expensive.

I and others use sewing machine oil as our first cleaner because it will not harm finishes but does a good job getting under grime and loosing it up so it can be wiped off with a soft cloth or q-tip. For chrome parts a product found in the automotive department called Never Dull does a good job, but use only on chrome. Also found in the automotive department are a series of cleaners and polishes by the brand name of 'Mothers' that are kind to the metal and won't pit it.

Finally, if you can get parts removed, use a sonic cleaner, usually used for cleaning jewelry and gun parts. It has always worked the best for cleaning without abrasion or pitting (or discoloration) of the item.
RJ5

Post by RJ5 »

^^^ Thos

Barkeepers Friend helped me restore a burnt stainless steel pot. nothing else worked
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 am And also, it was in a brothel/gambling den for the better part of a century so the exterior really is quite filthy.
Been in the fam' for years, eh? :D
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?