Calling all Amica insurance people. Will I get a discount for pleasure driving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
iamblessed

Calling all Amica insurance people. Will I get a discount for pleasure driving?

Post by iamblessed »

Asking Amica customers
Pandemic Bangs

Re: Calling all Amica insurance people. Will I get a discount for pleasure driving?

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

I'm not 100% sure what that means or if it matters. I worry it sounds like you are an "amateur" driver which would not make you a lower-than-average risk.

Is this extra pleasure driving in an effort to lower your rates, or do you mean that all of your driving is in that category?

You will need to ask Amica.
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
galawdawg

Re: Calling all Amica insurance people. Will I get a discount for pleasure driving?

Post by galawdawg »

Can't speak to Amica but generally if you do not drive a vehicle for work, business or commuting and the car use is classified as pleasure, the rate will generally be lower than a vehicle used for work, business or commuting with the same annual mileage.

However, be sure that you are accurate in how you represent the vehicle use.

Hope that answers your question.
yohac

Post by yohac »

It may vary by state, but all they asked me was annual mileage, not type of miles. And 6000 miles per year got me no discount.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

In my experience with Amica you can get a MUCH bigger discount if you leave Amica. When I shopped my policy around Amica was among the most expensive and by a very significant amount.
egrets

Post by egrets »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 am In my experience with Amica you can get a MUCH bigger discount if you leave Amica. When I shopped my policy around Amica was among the most expensive and by a very significant amount.
You probably didn't take into account the large dividend one gets each year.

OP, Amica has 24/7 customer service, give them a call or chat.

Also, one gets what one pays for. State Farm managed my flood insurance and they were hell on earth to deal with when I had a claim. The state wound up suing them on behalf of a lot of policyholders. Amica has been great about claims.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

egrets wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:43 am
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 am In my experience with Amica you can get a MUCH bigger discount if you leave Amica. When I shopped my policy around Amica was among the most expensive and by a very significant amount.

Also, one gets what one pays for. State Farm managed my flood insurance and they were hell on earth to deal with when I had a claim. The state wound up suing them on behalf of a lot of policyholders. Amica has been great about claims.
Agree! I occasionally shop around, and Amica seems to be the best overall value. I'm very low risk which seems to get great rates from Amica.

(I know someone that was young and a new driver, and the Amica rates were not competitive for them.)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I had a minor fender bender. I had an excellent experience with Amica on the claim handling. The other driver ended up being a cockroach and tried to shake them down. They handled it well.

I'm impressed with Amica's claim handling.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

lostdog wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am

I had a minor fender bender. I had an excellent experience with Amica on the claim handling. The other driver ended up being a cockroach and tried to shake them down. They handled it well.

I don't knock Amica's customer service - I have heard great things about it. But I am getting great service with my current insurer and at about half the cost. Just saying to the OP - if you are interested in saving money and getting discounts - you should definitely shop around. Amica is expensive. (I don't think 'the large dividend" is a 50 - 60% refund - is it??).
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Rating rules vary by state as well as by company. Check the "Rating information" which came with your policy.

In MD, my policy offers a lower rate for a car driven less than 30 miles per day. When I bought my car, I was just barely over 30, but a year later, checking my mileage records, I notified Amica that I was down to 28 miles per day, and received a rate reduction. (I am far under that level now, since I don't make vacation road trips and go out shopping much less.)
Wiki David Grabiner
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 am
lostdog wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am

I don't knock Amica's customer service - I have heard great things about it. But I am getting great service with my current insurer and at about half the cost. Just saying to the OP - if you are interested in saving money and getting discounts - you should definitely shop around. Amica is expensive. (I don't think 'the large dividend" is a 50 - 60% refund - is it??).
It really depends on the area, number of drivers, etc. Consumers Checkbook has done rate comparisons of all auto insurance companies in the Bay Area (~28 companies) and for various cases Amica is one of the cheapest.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I think it really depends on your state, when I asked about this a few years ago they told me there was no discount for low or minimal driving.
Since insurance varies by location and situation it would be best to call up and ask. Then shop around and see what others will offer...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin