Anyone use ID.me?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ShortStop

Anyone use ID.me?

Post by ShortStop »

Does anyone here have experience with ID.me? I can't get Social Security because I can't sign up for a "my Social Security" account online. It won't verify me even though the information is accurate and my credit reports are unfrozen. Until I can get into an SS office I'm screwed.

SS is touting ID.me on its website as an alternate access method but when I look at the reviews they are consistently horrid with many people reporting multiple verification failures after uploading personal documents. I'm not sure I should trust them even if they did manage to verify me.
JoMoney

Re: Anyone use ID.me?

Post by JoMoney »

I had to use ID.me for California DMV.
My primary issue with it, is it required me to link a phone#, and it would not accept my Google-Voice number (which is my primary phone).
I was able to get through it, but I had to link a different phone that's not mine.
They did provide me with a code to regain access to my account if I lose access to the phone, and unfortunately that's highly likely since they would not accept my phone :annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Yes, i've used ID.me for a few veteran related items.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

I used ID.me a couple of years ago to get my veteran's ID card. The verification process, to get set up on ID.me, was pretty straightforward. Took a while to get through the process on the .gov side (uploading documents several times along with some sort of glitch with my DD 214). But the authentication process to sign in to that site using ID.me worked well.

I also used ID.me to get a veteran's discount on a Saatva mattress.

However, recently, starting maybe a month ago. I began getting unsolicited e-mails (almost every day) from ID.me, which now go in my spam folder.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I used it successfully about a year ago to get a discount from Lenovo. However, when I tried to use it again a couple of months ago, I got locked out and could not get my account restored. I'm sure it's possible to do but got frustrating enough that I threw up my hands.
Topic Author
ShortStop

Post by ShortStop »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:39 pm I had to use ID.me for California DMV.
My primary issue with it, is it required me to link a phone#, and it would not accept my Google-Voice number (which is my primary phone).
I was able to get through it, but I had to link a different phone that's not mine.
They did provide me with a code to regain access to my account if I lose access to the phone, and unfortunately that's highly likely since they would not accept my phone
This makes no sense. If the purpose is to provide verification why would they accept a phone number that isn't in your records? Did they require a cell phone with text capability and wouldn't accept a landline or something like that? Did they know the number they accepted wasn't yours? Were you able to communicate via phone/chat with a real person?
Topic Author
ShortStop

Post by ShortStop »

notBobToo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:59 pm I used ID.me a couple of years ago to get my veteran's ID card. The verification process, to get set up on ID.me, was pretty straightforward. Took a while to get through the process on the .gov side (uploading documents several times along with some sort of glitch with my DD 214). But the authentication process to sign in to that site using ID.me worked well.
Once you got it set up on the .gov side did you need to access .gov through ID.me or did you get a .gov user ID/password? I'm wondering if this works would I be able to access the "my Social Security" account directly.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

ShortStop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm
They did provide me with a code to regain access to my account if I lose access to the phone, and unfortunately that's highly likely since they would not accept my phone
This makes no sense. If the purpose is to provide verification why would they accept a phone number that isn't in your records? Did they require a cell phone with text capability and wouldn't accept a landline or something like that? Did they know the number they accepted wasn't yours? Were you able to communicate via phone/chat with a real person?
It was for some 2-Factor Authentication like purposes, texting was an option but not required (it could call too). A machine called and read a code that I used to complete the sign on. They refused to send a text message or call my Google-Voice based phone number for some unknown reason... but would call an otherwise random phone that isn't mine and read the code to that...
... since it was related to get my "Real ID" DL purposes, perhaps it needed to verify I was in the country and GV couldn't provide that? Just random guess on that.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

I use it for veterans' 10% discount on Apple products.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

ShortStop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm
notBobToo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:59 pm I used ID.me a couple of years ago to get my veteran's ID card. The verification process, to get set up on ID.me, was pretty straightforward. Took a while to get through the process on the .gov side (uploading documents several times along with some sort of glitch with my DD 214). But the authentication process to sign in to that site using ID.me worked well.
Once you got it set up on the .gov side did you need to access .gov through ID.me or did you get a .gov user ID/password? I'm wondering if this works would I be able to access the "my Social Security" account directly.
I created a userid on the .gov system. Then, at login, I am authenticated using ID.me.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

TierArtz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm I use it for veterans' 10% discount on Apple products.
Yeah, I forgot all about that. Got 10% off my 2018 Mac mini.
OAG

Post by OAG »

TierArtz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm I use it for veterans' 10% discount on Apple products.

ditto and for VA and one or two others.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Topic Author
ShortStop

Post by ShortStop »

It sounds like everyone was verified without a major issue. I'll try it. I hope the Bogleheads luck holds.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Their web site indicates FIDO U2F security keys. If it’s an issue I’d contact them. You should be able to purchase a 3rd party security token (many vendors) on the cheap and get it set up. This will provide better security and not depend on a phone.

FWIW, I’ve used the service as well.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

ShortStop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm
Actually, I had exactly the same problem with the IRS when I was working on "re-verifying" my existing IRS account. I was providing identifying information and they asked for a cell number. I provided them with my TracFone number that I've had for years - they wouldn't accept it. The error message (I can't recall the exact wording) was they couldn't accept landlines, some pre-paid cell numbers and something else. They alluded to the fact that they had to verify name and address from the company's records. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but the long and short is I had to select the option for them to mail (USPS) a PIN to use to complete the online re-verification process. I considered providing my wife's AT&T number but was worried that might set off alarms since it didn't have my name on the account. So perhaps there is a method to the madness that JoMoney experienced.

Oh, and yes I have ID.me - I too used it for getting my veterans ID card.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

A hotel chain that I've used frequently in the past uses ID.me to verify that I am in fact eligible for a senior citizens discount. I had to create a login to ID.me to make it work, but I did not have to upload any documents. I suppose my history is "in the system" enough that it was able to find me and authenticate my age. That's the only use to which I ever have put ID.me, but it's worked flawlessly for that.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
ShortStop

Post by ShortStop »

Well, attempting to set up a verified ID.me account didn't work. I could never get past the required selfie upload. I tried it many times on different days at different hours. I could upload documents from the computer but not from the phone. Every time the selfie upload kept hanging and then would say the destination url didn't exist. The url was a clickable link in the text they sent and it was different every time. I don't know what the problem was but every url was non-functional. Since I couldn't back out from that page on the computer, I had to close the window, clear the cookies, and restart the process every time. I finally gave up.

I eventually called my local Social Security office. I should have thought to do that first. The rep asked me a bunch of questions and mailed me some information. I mailed back copies of some documents and received my first benefit payment two days ago.

I still have no online access but when offices open I can go in and get things set up.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I was asked to use them for CA DMV. My passport recently expired and I didn't want to renew due to Covid. I had to submit my birth certificate instead, but they wouldn't validate it. Ended up wasting a bunch of time.
FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC »

You will also need to thaw your credit reporting if have them frozen. I think ID.ME uses Transunion, but doesn't hurt to thaw all of them for a day.
Hope2Help

Post by Hope2Help »

One issue that impacts not getting verified is not taking a clear picture of your license, front and back.
Take the picture on a white background and make sure the room is light. Make sure you capture a picture perfect license. Unfortunately, the system does not tell you that. It just will not verify you at the end. Good luck.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Yooper wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 am...Actually, I had exactly the same problem with the IRS when I was working on "re-verifying" my existing IRS account. I was providing identifying information and they asked for a cell number. I provided them with my TracFone number that I've had for years - they wouldn't accept it...
Yes, I, too have encountered "anti-Tracfone" discrimination. It hasn't been a major problem for me... so far.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.