how to use American Airlines miles?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gwe67

how to use American Airlines miles?

Post by gwe67 »

It looks like these can't be redeemed for magazines & newspapers as in the past. Is the only option to use American's eshopping site?
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Flobes

Re: how to use American Airlines miles?

Post by Flobes »

Donate them
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Book a flight? (on AA or one of their many, many partners). Virtually all other redemptions result in poor value, and many have been discontinued by airlines to preserve cash (including shopping) since they would have to pay $$$ to buy you the products for your miles.

If you don’t want to travel right now (understandable) and need help keeping your miles alive, there are countless ways to create activity at low cost/effort that doesn’t involve travel.

You can apparently still get newspaper subscriptions:

https://www.newspaperrewards.com/americ ... ization=AA

via https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-prog ... -miles.jsp
Last edited by TravelGeek on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

I believe AA miles expire after 18 months of inactivity, but that policy has been paused through June 30, 2021.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

gwe67 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:19 pm It looks like these can't be redeemed for magazines & newspapers as in the past. Is the only option to use American's eshopping site?
If you plan to do any traveling, then of course you can use the awards for flights.
And you can "purchase" tickets for family members, even if they aren't traveling with you or you with them, etc.

The best use in terms of $ value is for premium travel (e.g., business class) on top international airlines.
The AA network includes quite a few airlines, some of them very nice.
We calculate "$ value" compared with what it would cost us to purchase those award points/miles.
And then we figure how that compares with the use of these awards vs. paying cash for the exact type of seats on the flights we want.

The "value" typically is not very good for domestic coach travel.

And of course, the "value" isn't "real" unless one would indeed have paid cash for that business class ticket.
In our case, at our stage of life, we would. And one time that we traveled on short notice so we couldn't get awards tickets, we did indeed pay cash. :shock:

In terms of keeping the awards/account "active", if you have an AAdvantage charge card (such as CitiCard), then if you just make a small charge every several months, that's sufficient to keep the account - and the awards - current.

RM

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:53 pm The "value" typically is not very good for domestic coach travel.

And of course, the "value" isn't "real" unless one would indeed have paid cash for that business class ticket.
In our case, at our stage of life, we would. And one time that we traveled on short notice so we couldn't get awards tickets, we did indeed pay cash. :shock:
But it is always worth checking. I try to get 1.5 cents from my United miles (I live near Washington, a United hub, so I have lots of nonstops available) and 1 cent from other airlines.
In terms of keeping the awards/account "active", if you have an AAdvantage charge card (such as CitiCard), then if you just make a small charge every several months, that's sufficient to keep the account - and the awards - current.
And every time I rent a car, or stay at a non-Marriott hotel (I use Marriott hotels so often on business that I earn points to get elite benefits instead), I earn miles on a different airline to keep it active. One month ago, I needed a one-day car rental while mine was being repaired; 38 miles isn't worth much in dollars, but it gives me plenty of time to prevent my thousands of American miles from expiring.
Wiki David Grabiner
canderson

Post by canderson »

I’ll gladly take them! :D
grok87

Post by grok87 »

i got an email that my American miles will expire shortly unless i either redeem some miles or manage to post some miles to my account (via taking an american flight i guess).
the redemption options seem limited- flying or hotel.
anyone have any other ideas?
thanks
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

To donate miles go to aadvantage/redeem miles/donate.
A small donation refreshes the clock.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:09 am i got an email that my American miles will expire shortly unless i either redeem some miles or manage to post some miles to my account (via taking an american flight i guess).
thanks
grok
Use the shopping portal to earn miles. However, the miles can take some time to post, so if you're within say 90 days of the miles expiring, I'd go with another method.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:09 am i got an email that my American miles will expire shortly unless i either redeem some miles or manage to post some miles to my account (via taking an american flight i guess).
thanks
grok
You can keep your miles from expiring painlessly via the program below. Just enroll, link any credit card, and dine (or takeout) at a participating restaurant.

https://www.aadvantagedining.com/
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

thanks
grok
I’m signed up for AA Dining Rewards. When near expiration I go to a participating restaurant and purchase a meal. It can be any amount, you’ll earn AA miles for the purchase and it will reset the clock. You can double up by using a credit card that also earns dining points.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

hicabob wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:14 am To donate miles go to aadvantage/redeem miles/donate.
thanks. that's good to know
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

02nz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:17 am
thanks
grok
Use the shopping portal to earn miles. However, the miles can take some time to post, so if you're within say 90 days of the miles expiring, I'd go with another method.
thanks for the warning on the time to post
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Luckywon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:18 am
thanks
grok
You can keep your miles from expiring painlessly via the program below. Just enroll, link any credit card, and dine (or takeout) at a participating restaurant.

thanks. do they take a while to post?
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:19 am
thanks
grok
I’m signed up for AA Dining Rewards. When near expiration I go to a participating restaurant and purchase a meal. It can be any amount, you’ll earn AA miles for the purchase and it will reset the clock. You can double up by using a credit card that also earns dining points.
thanks. how long do they take to post?
RIP Mr. Bogle.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

There are a lot of possibilities here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-prog ... -miles.jsp
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:50 am
thanks
grok

There is a restaurant I get takeout from frequently that participates. My experience with that restaurant: 9/10 times posts in 3 days and the remainder in 4 days.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:49 am
hicabob wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:14 am To donate miles go to aadvantage/redeem miles/donate.
I donate also; next time I may just throw in the towel and donate them all. AA isn't a preferred airline and we rarely fly anymore anyway. Will make someone's day - I think I still have a few hundred thousand miles. I lost track of the dates years ago and I let 750K UA mile expire accidentally.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:28 am
I donate also; next time I may just throw in the towel and donate them all. AA isn't a preferred airline and we rarely fly anymore anyway. Will make someone's day - I think I still have a few hundred thousand miles. I lost track of the dates years ago and I let 750K UA mile expire accidentally.

If you don't fly much anyway, this may not matter, but if the issue is you don't fly *American*, do you use any of their partner airlines? (Or sometimes, partners of partners...)

RM
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:31 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:28 am

If you don't fly much anyway, this may not matter, but if the issue is you don't fly *American*, do you use any of their partner airlines? (Or sometimes, partners of partners...)

RM
I doubt it. We fly out of BWI and the usual airline is Southwest. I don't think they are a partner of AA.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:51 am
thanks
grok
Usually within a couple of days. Just checked my transactions. Last purchase was Dec 11, miles posted Dec 14.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Luckywon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:26 am
grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:50 am
thanks
grok

There is a restaurant I get takeout from frequently that participates. My experience with that restaurant: 9/10 times posts in 3 days and the remainder in 4 days.
thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:21 pm
grok87 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:51 am
thanks
grok
Usually within a couple of days. Just checked my transactions. Last purchase was Dec 11, miles posted Dec 14.
thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:31 pm If you don't fly much anyway, this may not matter, but if the issue is you don't fly *American*, do you use any of their partner airlines? (Or sometimes, partners of partners...)

RM
Partners of partners essentially never works, unless they're a partner of "your" airline. For example, Cathay Pacific is a partner of Lufthansa, which is a partner of United, but you cannot collect United miles on Cathay Pacific flights, or vice versa.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Several years ago I opened the Citibank AAdvantage $95 a year credit card with the first year free and I received a bunch of miles for doing so. After the first year,, I converted it to the free card. My Netflix subscription is automatically paid every month with the free card. I never have to worry about expiring miles.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Ck out Opinion miles ,5 minute survey for a small amount of miles .Resets the expiration for 18 months
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

02nz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:30 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:31 pm If you don't fly much anyway, this may not matter, but if the issue is you don't fly *American*, do you use any of their partner airlines? (Or sometimes, partners of partners...)

RM
Partners of partners essentially never works, unless they're a partner of "your" airline. For example, Cathay Pacific is a partner of Lufthansa, which is a partner of United, but you cannot collect United miles on Cathay Pacific flights, or vice versa.

We've done "partners of partners" before, but just once, I think. The main problem we worried about was IF the seat availability disappeared, then we'd be stuck with the miles in that intermediate partner, which we might not want. But that didn't happen.

Between AA and Amex networks, we can usually find what we are looking for in just one partner step. (We've actually never yet used AA awards to fly on AA planes, so all awards tickets thus far have been the one transfer to a partner anyway, be it from AA or Amex, except for the one "partner of a partner".)

RM
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:11 pm
02nz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:30 pm

RM

We've done "partners of partners" before, but just once, I think. The main problem we worried about was IF the seat availability disappeared, then we'd be stuck with the miles in that intermediate partner, which we might not want. But that didn't happen.

Between AA and Amex networks, we can usually find what we are looking for in just one partner step. (We've actually never yet used AA awards to fly on AA planes, so all awards tickets thus far have been the one transfer to a partner anyway, be it from AA or Amex, except for the one "partner of a partner".)

RM
You're talking about something else then - transferring bank points, e.g. Amex MR points to say British Airways, and then using any of BA's partners, which includes American.

What is NOT possible is using American miles to fly on British Airways partners that are not partners of American.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Kiter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:10 pm Ck out Opinion miles ,5 minute survey for a small amount of miles .Resets the expiration for 18 months
thanks. that's an interesting option
RIP Mr. Bogle.