Tesla [car] purchase any significant downside?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fmhealth

Tesla [car] purchase any significant downside?

Post by fmhealth »

Hello. I've done a fairly significant level of due diligence but the results have been so one-sided on the positive side that I'm concerned that I'm missing some of the negatives. Does anyone care to weigh-in on any problems they've experienced or are aware of? Thanks so much.

Be Well,
fmhealth
TravelGeek

Re: Tesla purchase any significant downside?

Post by TravelGeek »

Car or stock? :D

(if car, this probably belongs in the Consumer forum)
Topic Author
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

Good point. I'm looking for any problems with the car. I should have been more precise. Thanks.
deikel

Post by deikel »

Its not a question of the company having a particular problem per se (other then what I would consider normal for a technology pusher) - the problem is the valuation of the company. The valuation is in absolutely silly range and no underlying normal company metric can justify the current stock price.

So the price is entirely in the hands of speculators and is independent of any objectively measurable metric. As such, you don't miss anything, but you can also not really research anything useful that would explain the current price.

Most stocks have some hype and forward looking expectation priced in, particularly true for tech stocks - but this particular one is just out of bounce by a long shot. Once the competition catches up (and they will) there will be a reversion. If you get in the game now with the mindset to hold it forever, I think there are much better opportunities. If you want to get in now to run along the speculation.....well that may or may not work and there is nothing you could know that makes that not a gamble.

I would not touch this stock (anymore), it currently only follows hype and someone will get burned. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe in a year or two.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
deikel

Post by deikel »

fmhealth wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:15 pm Good point. I'm looking for any problems with the car. I should have been more precise. Thanks.
Oh, in that case: The price. the questionable lifetime of the battery. The actual cost of ownership vs a combustion engine

The S is a fun car - but you can get the same 'great' car (whatever that means for you in detail) for a lot less money spent - so its inefficient as transport vehicle. Or to phrase it another way - you pay a lot extra USD for the coolness factor. The S has some coolness to it, the 3 not so much.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Trader Joe

Re: Tesla [car] purchase any significant downside?

Post by Trader Joe »

fmhealth wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:02 pm Hello. I've done a fairly significant level of due diligence but the results have been so one-sided on the positive side that I'm concerned that I'm missing some of the negatives. Does anyone care to weigh-in on any problems they've experienced or are aware of? Thanks so much.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Great cars. Highly recommend.
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

I have had a Tesla model 3 LR since August of 2018 and the only problem I have had with it was a cosmetic trim piece that was fixed under warranty.
I love the car and have taken it on 2 1500+ mile trips and numerous 300 - 800 mile trips without incident.

Given the model S has been out since 2012, the batteries are holding up very well, and the model 3 has improved battery technology I have zero concerns about the long term durability of the battery. I plan on keeping the car at least 8 more years and don't worry about the battery or powertrain going the distance. The model S/X do have a couple of expensive and somewhat failure prone items the model 3 lacks: Air suspension and motorized door handles. Other than depreciation which applies to any car, the biggest expense of owning my model 3 will be the tires. Many owners with somewhat lead feet report going through ~$1200 sets of tires every 15,000 - 25,000 miles. At $.11 per kWh for electricity tires will run 2-3 times the cost of "fuel" per mile. If you drive "average" I would plan on 20,000 miles out of tires. I do mostly highway miles and have a light foot so I should get 35,000 miles out of my tires but they are still a significant expense.
Adapt or perish
Dermonc

Post by Dermonc »

Agree with the above, the car is heavy with fast acceleration so expect to go through tires. If you do not own your house, it can be difficult/expensive to install a level 2 charger, which is necessary in my opinion. It can be difficult to get service depending on your location if anything comes up. That being said I have had a model 3 LR since December 2018 and the only time I needed service appointment was for a rear seat belt alarm fix. Range goes down in the cold and there are certain features with the car that make it clear this is a car designed in California (can’t put your wipers up when parked with expected snow, can’t turn down regeneration in the snow/ice, no steering wheel heater), also no cooled seats. The screen is huge but at times goes through updates that are poorly thought out (currently ~40% of the screen is taken up with a cartoon of the car and surroundings, which loses its appeal after a week and I wish they would go back to the larger map). I don’t have FSD. Dealing with Tesla can be frustrating since they clearly run lean, it took me 2 months to get my registration but I think this issue has been long fixed.

Overall my complaints are fairly minor and I haven’t personally driven a car under 100k that is comparable.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I have an early 3, and boy did it have problems. They fixed everything, eventually, but if you are used to the QC of a car that costs half the price, you'll be disappointed. Supposedly things are better now. Supposedly.

The one fundamental downside I've run into are the frameless windows. If the car gets rained/snowed on for a few hours, its likely to be physically impossible to open the doors without preheating the car. Granted, preheating the car is very easy to do, can be scheduled, and doesn't take too long. The door handles can also freeze, which is super annoying because preheating the car doesn't always unfreeze it as fast as the windows.

The funny thing is one of the issues with my car was that I could not preheat the car. But despite all the problems, the tech is far ahead of anything else on the market. Buying a Tesla, imo, is more about the tech, than the car itself.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:35 pm
fmhealth wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:02 pm I've done a fairly significant level of due diligence but the results have been so one-sided on the positive side that I'm concerned that I'm missing some of the negatives. Does anyone care to weigh-in on any problems they've experienced or are aware of?
Great cars. Highly recommend.
What was unclear about the OP’s inquiry?
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Significant downside, no?

It has some niggles here or there, and the biggest of mine so far is that recently it's developed a rattle around the rear trunk. I think I can easily investigate and fix it (but just havent).

Other than that, it is a great car for 90% of people.

I am a car enthusiast so I enjoy mechanical sounds and sensory feedback and operating a clutch pedal and stirring a shifter and so on, so its not the funnest or most favorite car ive ever owned. But for most drivers , who dont care about such things, it will be.

You must have access to charging wherever you park it daily. That's sort of an prerequisite.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’ve had a Tesla Model 3 since 2018. It’s by far the best car I’ve ever owned. I haven’t had any problems. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

However, I wouldn’t buy one if I couldn’t charge at home. People who rent should think long and hard before getting an EV.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

The latest Consumer Reports rating on brand reliability has Tesla next to last on the reliability ahead of Lincoln:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarsten/ ... 4674eb5fbb
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 pm Car or stock? :D

(if car, this probably belongs in the Consumer forum)
Haha I was thinking the same thing. I was 90% ready to buy a Model 3 a year ago, and was only stopped by the COVID crisis. You don't even want to know how many Model3s I can suddenly by now with that invested money... :shock:

As for predicting the future, though, hard to clearly justify when it's so hellaciously priced now.

Tesla is the ONLY car that I'd realistically and instantly first consider the opportunity cost of lost investment opportunity in the automaker itself as opposed to the benefits of buying the car!
kgw

Post by kgw »

I just purchased my Model S and I love it . . . but I am fighting my way through two big issues:

1) phantom braking while using cruise control and autopilot. I have now had three episodes whereby the brakes slam-on for no apparent reason at highway speeds.

2) I now have the dreaded black screen. The MCU freezes and reboots nearly every time I use the car. I have rebooted several times and cleared the cache as instructed, but I think I have a faulty chip.

I have entered service requests in the Tesla app for both of these with dates of these episodes, but my appointments have been pushed back now three times.

I still love the car, you just need to be a VERY patient person.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Downsides like the horrible quality and reliability? Or something else?
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

I'd rather be rich then look rich.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I have a Model 3, but I feel I'm pretty realistic about the car. My biggest concerns would be assembly quality and long term reliability. I love my Model 3 but am not expecting it to be as trouble free as my previous Japanese cars have been. That said, I've only had one minor issue (a rattle inside a door panel, fixed under warranty) in two years of ownership.

I'd like to buy a Model Y, but the reports of poor assembly quality have scared me away. I'll revisit in a year and see if it's improved.

I'm not worried about battery longevity. Teslas seem to do well there, better than their competitors.
doniboni

Post by doniboni »

There is Tesla and there is everyone else.
Just ignore the bitter people. Buy the car, you will not regret it.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Really depends on how much you'll drive it

Guy up the street from me has two (owns a business)
When I take my "work from home" daily walks a few times each day, both cars are sitting in the driveway - 1 is usually plugged in.
Don't know if I'd go that route if I really didn't drive that much...
But again, that is just me
(disclosure - have 2021 HRV and 2016 Camry)
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Be aware that the federal tax credit is phased l
Out for Tesla.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

kgw wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:25 pm I just purchased my Model S and I love it . . . but I am fighting my way through two big issues:

1) phantom braking while using cruise control and autopilot. I have now had three episodes whereby the brakes slam-on for no apparent reason at highway speeds.

2) I now have the dreaded black screen. The MCU freezes and reboots nearly every time I use the car. I have rebooted several times and cleared the cache as instructed, but I think I have a faulty chip.

I have entered service requests in the Tesla app for both of these with dates of these episodes, but my appointments have been pushed back now three times.

Sounds similar to owning an Alfa
Blast to drive - but I only rent them in Italy for fun
benderbr

Post by benderbr »

I've owned a 3 for two years and would recommend. The biggest drawback for me was the price vs a similar ICE car. I'll never make up the difference on gas. Winter can kill the range though newer cars have heat pumps which helps. The frunk requires a lot of down pressure to close.

On the plus side - Never visiting a gas station and starting every day with a 'full tank' is worth something though. Minimal maintenance is a big plus. The drivetrain and battery are expected to last several hundred thousand miles. The tech features and updates are unmatched.

I have followed Tesla for a long time and I'm on board with the mission. I have a garage that allows easy charging, a commute that fits and the means to splurge a little. From this standpoint it is hard to not buy one. You can say next time but the truth is next time is 10 years away and a new ICE already feels outdated next to a Tesla.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

I’ve had my Model 3 since August 2018. It is super fun to drive. I’ve had three repairs done under warranty. Two were relatively minor issues that occurred early on; one a moderate issue related to the seat belt. Overall I like it a lot, but the few most significant issues I have are:

The interior is fine but compared to similarly priced ICE vehicles by BMW or Audi, it does not seem “luxury” to me.

In extreme cold weather (<30 degrees) the range is noticeably degraded by about 40% or sometimes more, especially on shorter trips before the battery warms up. May or may not matter. It hasn’t been a problem for me, but I notice it way more than any ICE vehicle I’ve owned.

Frequent software upgrades is a double edged sword. Most of the time there are bug fixes, feature additions, or improvements. Occasionally they make the software worse. Most recently they changed the size and placement of visual elements in the UI, including the placement of the speed indicator. It’s a controversial change. Some people like it; I’m not a fan of it but it’s still fun to drive. But I don’t like the idea that the company can change the UI as they see fit. There is no ability opt-out of software updates. You can delay them, but not indefinitely.
Steve
benderbr

Post by benderbr »

I agree the latest UI change is a worse design. I heard they are going to change it back or even allow users to configure/select from multiple options.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

kgw wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:25 pm I just purchased my Model S and I love it . . . but I am fighting my way through two big issues:

not sure how anyone could love a car that has brakes that lock up at highway speeds on a new vehicle.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

The biggest problem with Tesla is Elon Musk.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

My nephew loves his model 3. For many people, one or another Tesla model can be a good call. We, however, are still looking at range issues. So far in retirement, each year, we have decided to make multiple 600-850 mile single day trips in the middle of the drive (typically on the way home after a month+ road trip). That, plus the fact that we enjoy meandering around underpopulated regions (sometimes getting itchy about distance to the nearest gas station even with 350 mile range), takes us out of the target market.

But, your situation is unlikely to be similar to ours...
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:35 pm I'd rather be rich then look rich.
Those who put the money into TSLA stock rather than a car a few years ago did get that result.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:35 pm I'd rather be rich then look rich.
This has what to do with ownership proposition of the car ?
Larry3862

Post by Larry3862 »

Downside risk is that Elon's FSD/robotaxi plan becomes reality and that there is no need to purchase the vehicle.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

We don't know your situation. If you live in an apartment with no practical way to charge the car at home and your office building (like mine) has circulated a memo expressly warning not to run extension cords out the window to charge EVs, then you may not have a practical way to charge the car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Up to a couple of weeks ago, I would have reported no serious problems on my 5 year old Model X. Recently the air suspension started making noise and disabled itself. I am past warranty.

Until then my very early car (VIN 0002xx) had some teething issues with the door latches, but Tesla mobile service replaced them while the car sat in my driveway. They also proactively replaced latches that were working fine but whose design had been upgraded.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

I don’t own a Tesla but my perception of the brand is relentless over promise, under deliver.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I don’t own a Tesla. Don’t BH say it is better to invest then spend on expensive toys? I kind of followed that mantra. But I deviated a bit from the 3 fund and bought 100 shares Tesla in September soon after the split.
I now have enough profits to take those profits and buy a Tesla. So the downside of buying a Tesla car is only that that money was not in the stock.
BedHead2020

Post by BedHead2020 »

I have over 200,000 miles over three Teslas owned. One of my current ones has 110,000 miles. If I can avoid it, I’ll never go back to a gasoline car and I’ve been thrilled with all my Teslas. I don’t see another BEV manufacturer knocking them off their perch for the foreseeable future. The service experience has been painless, with most of my service visits being for very minor things with the tech coming to my house or work. I have heard that the quality of the service can vary between service centers, so some people have been less fortunate than I have been with service.

The biggest frustration with Tesla, IMO, is the actual buying process. They don’t always communicate well during the purchase process and the ordering and delivery process can be frustrating for folks who are accustomed to buying from a dealership who has perfected the process over decades. After the first five minutes of ownership the purchase and delivery frustrations are forgotten, though.

It’s easy to find people complaining on the various ownership forums but car forums always attract complainers. For everyone on a Tesla forum complaining about something there are tens of thousands of owners out there, tooling around with a grin on their face.

Tesla stock is one of the most shorted stocks in existence and Tesla shorts have lost tens of billions of dollars. As a result, there’s a vested interest in amplifying any negative story they can about Tesla and Musk. I always consider that agenda when I see Tesla or Musk bashing online.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

The problem with the Tesla vehicles particularly the model S is they're asking luxury-car prices for a vehicle that is less than luxurious inside. I've been in the Model S and for the base price of $70,000...I find it leaves a lot to be desired in the interior. The huge tablet is quite impressive but the whole minimalist interior does nothing for me. It doesn't FEEL like a $70K vehicle inside especially once you step inside a comparably equipped Mercedes E-Class. Once you start to equip the Model S with all the features and performance boxes, you're into S-Class territory and I simply can't fathom buying a Telsa over an S-Class for the same money.
benderbr

Post by benderbr »

Tesla sells 8 more reasonably priced model3/Y for every 1 S/X. S/X are definitely high priced vehicles not for most people. Take a ride in a 3 and check the price point there vs comparable BMW or even Honda/Toyota. I'd say Teslas are more upscale than luxury. The focus is on more practical features.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

benderbr wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 am Tesla sells 8 more reasonably priced model3/Y for every 1 S/X. S/X are definitely high priced vehicles not for most people.
I knew when I bought my X 5 years ago that I was overpaying. It’s easy to forget now, but at the time it wasn’t clear that Tesla would make it. I believed in the mission, and if paying an extra $30k helped the mission, well, good. I felt that I had penance to do for years of owning Range Rovers.

If I were buying one today, I’d buy a Y. I do have a deposit on a CyberTruck, which I will buy if it fits in my garage.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

I don't own one. But some that do. Anecdotes:
1) Tires: I think this was already mentioned...I think it is not just Tesla, but Electric cars in general. I own a prius prime and had to change tires at about 30K miles
https://solarchargeddriving.com/2018/08 ... tric-cars/
2) Phantom Braking on Autopilot
3) Service Center: could be hit or miss, but if you have car that's good (vast majority), then you don't need service center
4) Price difference between Tesla and let's say Toyota/Honda: so now less money to invest in TSLA+VTI
-otherwise, I think it is a good car.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Where I live Teslas are dime a dozen and don’t make you look rich.
Like bmw 3 series.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:08 am I don’t own a Tesla. Don’t BH say it is better to invest then spend on expensive toys? I kind of followed that mantra. But I deviated a bit from the 3 fund and bought 100 shares Tesla in September soon after the split.
I now have enough profits to take those profits and buy a Tesla. So the downside of buying a Tesla car is only that that money was not in the stock.
But I don't think you are going to buy a Tesla. I think you are going to keep TSLA. I get asked about Tesla, but I always tell them: "buy TSLA instead" :moneybag
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 pm
Where I live Teslas are dime a dozen and don’t make you look rich.
Like bmw 3 series.
There's a reason people call the model 3 the California Camry.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

They aren’t very reliable cars relative to other options (shows in quality rankings). Also, they may have fixed this issue, but their spare parts used to be really constrained and you could wait weeks or months for repairs due to the inability to obtain parts.

In principle electric cars should be more reliable as they have many less moving parts than conventional cars.
workingmanblues

Post by workingmanblues »

Have had a model 3 from mid 2018. It's been a great car, and the best car I have owned ever. Only car that improves with time--so many features they have added over the air since delivery. It's wild. There's no comparison with any other car out there, Tesla is in a league of its own. Had a bolt and i3 as well, and while they were nice, nothing like a Tesla.
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Watch Everyday Driver -- free on Amazon. They compare Tesla 3 to Chevy Bolt. It was illuminating.

We got a brand-new $44K Bolt for $24K after the $7500 federal incentive (since decreased), $2500 state incentive, and huge Chevy discount as they were about to cross the federal theshhold and had to push as many cars out the door as possible. I dont know what the incentives are now but I'm sure they are good.

The Bolt is amazing. I typically drive a small 6-cylinder diesel sedan with insane torque and great handling. I really enjoy the Bolt. BIL is a total gearhead and spent his less-responsible days tuning (and blowing) Subaru engines. He couldn't wait to drive ours and had a smile plastered to his face the whole time. "This thing is great!"

I know: Chevy. But I have actually liked a number of Chevys that I have rented in recent years (against my bias) and I love the idea that I can just get instant service/parts if needed. Dozens of Teslas in driveways near me and it's kind of a "statement" that we were not eager to make.

It's not Tesla; it's the thrill of driving well-designed all-electric. This is why I am so down on TSLA. They created the acceptance and that is a spectacular achievement. But pretty much anyone can design and build a great electric now.
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

3 time owner of Tesla's since 2013. Taken the factory tour, etc. Do a search and you will find lots of other threads like this one. Just like all other cars on the market it is one made of parts sourced from many suppliers. With failure rates that are the same. What sets Tesla apart is the relentless improvements they make in the parts they manufacturer in-house. Problems we had in our 2013 S were fixed in the 2015 S. Problems in our 2016 X have been fixed in the 2020 X, etc. There is a reason TSLA is so high valued and it's not due to crappy cars and our a non functional charging ecosystem.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

I certainly don't look or feel rich in my model 3. I have a few extra options in mine but a nicely equipped model 3 can be had for less than 40k. Then subtract my state rebate of 5k plus no sales tax on EV. Then figure fuel and maintenance cost savings and your down into BH territory.
The car definitely isn't for everyone. Like the previous poster who mentioned multiple single day trips of 850 miles in underpopulated areas but Tesla's large network of Supercharging stations has solved a lot of that. It's nice to know that I can do a round trip commute of over 100 miles every day, come home and plug into a standard 120v outlet in my garage and be ready to go with a full tank by morning.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I don’t think so and I don’t own a Tesla. I bought a Chevy Bolt earlier this year - not as many bells and whistles but comfortable and an EV - for a total of $29,000. To me, it was a better deal financially since I had never owned an EV and wanted to experience that ownership. That being said, I would probably now look at a Tesla or a Ford Mach E. I drive about 75 miles per day when working (6 days per week) and average about 35,000 miles per year. I have had my Bolt for six months now - I love it. I think I would have loved a Model 3 or Y too. One thing is certain - I would not go back to a traditional engine. As far as the supercharging network - I have not taken a road trip with the bolt - I typically fly. If I were to drive - the Tesla would be a better choice. I have always charged at home and have not had a need for charging outside the home. I will say that there are plenty of charging stations For Tesla and non Tesla EVs around the DFW area. JMO though....
casun

Post by casun »

i’ve had a model 3 since september of 2018 and love it more than any car i’ve ever owned. no issues with the car and it gets better with age. you won’t regret it.