Weird Phone Conversation with Fidelity

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Weird Phone Conversation with Fidelity

Post by Caduceus »

I've experienced a fairly significant number of fairly weird/odd exchanges with financial representatives of banks/brokerages due to them working from home, but this is the first time I've had a conversation with a representative that I am fairly sure was on drugs.

Two weeks ago I had to ask a customer rep to stop her fan from blowing straight into her microphone and she said she didn't realize that was happening because she was at home. And then another time, a dog of a customer rep kept on barking and interrupting the call.

Today I called into Fidelity and this rep was just over-the-top euphoric for no good reason. Before I could even get to my request, I was hit with a barrage of elated words - "I'm so sorry that I have to ask you all these verification questions, because I want this to be an awesome experience for you, you know? And I want you to know that I will take care of you, and that no matter what the issue is, I will make sure it will be nothing short of awesome and great and just excellent for you." And so on .... it goes on like this and I try to interrupt and tell him to just ask me the security questions and then he starts giggling ... "I'm so sorry the system is refreshing ... you know sometimes it's like there's a ghost in the machine (giggle) ... " and so on.

It is so weird. He gave me his representative ID number and full name, unprompted. It was just out of nowhere, and I didn't ask for it. And now I am thinking if I should call back to Fidelity and let someone know how unprofessional this is or just let it go.
Brianmcg321

Re: Weird Phone Conversation with Fidelity

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I would report it to Fidelity. They record the calls and can listen to it. They will probably think just as you did. I wouldn't want someone drunk or high handling financial transactions for me.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Honestly, the first two don't bother me (fan blowing on the mic, dog barking). I am working from home now like many of you, so we have to expect a different sort of background noise. To be honest, I find it very humanizing to hear my co-worker's dogs or kids in the background. None of this work from home stuff is ideal, so we all need to cut each other some slack.

The third interaction does seem weird to me and certainly crosses the line so I am with you there.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:07 pm I would report it to Fidelity. They record the calls and can listen to it. They will probably think just as you did. I wouldn't want someone drunk or high handling financial transactions for me.
+1. Report it. No need to have drug-using or manic-state individuals with access to your financial information.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 pm ...
Today I called into Fidelity and this rep was just over-the-top euphoric for no good reason. Before I could even get to my request, I was hit with a barrage of elated words - "I'm so sorry that I have to ask you all these verification questions, because I want this to be an awesome experience for you, you know? And I want you to know that I will take care of you, and that no matter what the issue is, I will make sure it will be nothing short of awesome and great and just excellent for you." ...
This couldn't possibly be the same rep I spoke with at Vanguard last month (and who maybe since moved to Fidelity?). Whatever, the VG rep responded to nearly everything I said with a loud "Awesome! That is awesome!" When he said it a third time, I thought of asking what was awesome since this was a routine, quickly resolved issue, i.e., what was really awesome was how UNawesome it was. I let this go, but your experience sounds like over-the-top salesmanship and it might be worth it to let Fidelity know your reaction. I would, however, leave the drug suspicion out of it as it can't be known for certain.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Fallible wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:21 pm
Today I called into Fidelity and this rep was just over-the-top euphoric for no good reason. Before I could even get to my request, I was hit with a barrage of elated words - "I'm so sorry that I have to ask you all these verification questions, because I want this to be an awesome experience for you, you know? And I want you to know that I will take care of you, and that no matter what the issue is, I will make sure it will be nothing short of awesome and great and just excellent for you." ...
This couldn't possibly be the same rep I spoke with at Vanguard last month (and who maybe since moved to Fidelity?). Whatever, the VG rep responded to nearly everything I said with a loud "Awesome! That is awesome!" When he said it a third time, I thought of asking what was awesome since this was a routine, quickly resolved issue, i.e., what was really awesome was how UNawesome it was. I let this go, but your experience sounds like over-the-top salesmanship and it might be worth it to let Fidelity know your reaction. I would, however, leave the drug suspicion out of it as it can't be known for certain.
Actually, letting an institution know that their tape-recorded CSR sounds like a druggie gives them an appreciation for how their customers are reacting. No problem to share these observations, IMHO.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Bizarre. I would report it too.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 pm I've experienced a fairly significant number of fairly weird/odd exchanges with financial representatives of banks/brokerages due to them working from home, but this is the first time I've had a conversation with a representative that I am fairly sure was on drugs.

Two weeks ago I had to ask a customer rep to stop her fan from blowing straight into her microphone and she said she didn't realize that was happening because she was at home. And then another time, a dog of a customer rep kept on barking and interrupting the call.

Today I called into Fidelity and this rep was just over-the-top euphoric for no good reason. Before I could even get to my request, I was hit with a barrage of elated words - "I'm so sorry that I have to ask you all these verification questions, because I want this to be an awesome experience for you, you know? And I want you to know that I will take care of you, and that no matter what the issue is, I will make sure it will be nothing short of awesome and great and just excellent for you." And so on .... it goes on like this and I try to interrupt and tell him to just ask me the security questions and then he starts giggling ... "I'm so sorry the system is refreshing ... you know sometimes it's like there's a ghost in the machine (giggle) ... " and so on.

It is so weird. He gave me his representative ID number and full name, unprompted. It was just out of nowhere, and I didn't ask for it. And now I am thinking if I should call back to Fidelity and let someone know how unprofessional this is or just let it go.
He was just trying to give you an awesome experience. Why even make an accusation that he was on drugs? Geez.
celia

Post by celia »

To me, this sounds like the training of a new rep went astray. They were likely told to make the transaction seem awesome for the client rather than told them to say the "experience will be awesome". It could just be a case of a new rep being excited to get the job after having been out of work and the OP was one of their first clients.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

You heard it. So, it is hard for us to make a better judgement. But, based only on your description, I do not know why your thought is drug use. Maybe something funny was going on in his house. Maybe his kid was making faces at him. Or, as others have said, he was just trying to show enthusiasm and and that he cared about making you happy, two characteristics that he was probably trained to strive towards. Did he provide the service that you requested?

Your story made me think of the customer service initiatives that my large regional bank instituted about 5 years ago. Every customer was greeted with this crazy enthusiasm like they were arriving for a New Year’s Eve Party. Some people find this appealing and others, maybe, not so much.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I have never talked to a financial rep and hope to continue that streak *shrug*

Phone calls are so annoying. Luckily 99% of things can be done without them. Usually cancelling a CC after getting a bonus is what causes me to interact with a human from a call center located in another time zone or country. :?
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Katietsu wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:01 am You heard it. So, it is hard for us to make a better judgement. But, based only on your description, I do not know why your thought is drug use. Maybe something funny was going on in his house. Maybe his kid was making faces at him. Or, as others have said, he was just trying to show enthusiasm and and that he cared about making you happy, two characteristics that he was probably trained to strive towards. Did he provide the service that you requested?

Your story made me think of the customer service initiatives that my large regional bank instituted about 5 years ago. Every customer was greeted with this crazy enthusiasm like they were arriving for a New Year’s Eve Party. Some people find this appealing and others, maybe, not so much.
I'm admittedly not the best person to decide if someone's high on drugs, having never been high myself or seen someone high. But it was definitely a very weird conversation. The constant giggling, repeating of words, and the self-commentary. He wasn't really talking to me. He was mostly talking to himself and giggling.

After hearing the balance of responses, I think I'll just chalk it up to a random experience and do nothing. I did start recording the call halfway because for a moment I thought I had entered the phone number wrongly and reached a spam/prank service - that was how unprofessional it was. I kept thinking - "is this guy from Fidelity?" It is very unsettling to have a customer rep constantly giggle on you for no good reason while taking twenty minutes to finish up what should have been a three minute request because his head is in the clouds. And when I mean euphoric, I really do mean euphoric. He was insanely happy.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Everyone knows not to say awesome. The correct word in financial conversations is fantabulous. Probably high on life/vape.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

You should have complimented him on his positivity. Most customer service reps I talk to sound like they're clinically depressed.

Maybe a girl he liked finally decided to go out with him. Let's not report people for being happy lol
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

manatee2005 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 am You should have complimented him on his positivity. Most customer service reps I talk to sound like they're clinically depressed.

Btw I called Metro PCS recently and the customer service rep was similar, everything was awesome to her.

Maybe a girl he liked finally decided to go out with him. Or maybe he watched Lego Batman movie recently .Let's not report people for being happy lol
celia

Post by celia »

Caduceus wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:18 am After hearing the balance of responses, I think I'll just chalk it up to a random experience and do nothing. I did start recording the call halfway because for a moment I thought I had entered the phone number wrongly and reached a spam/prank service - that was how unprofessional it was. I kept thinking - "is this guy from Fidelity?" It is very unsettling to have a customer rep constantly giggle on you for no good reason while taking twenty minutes to finish up what should have been a three minute request because his head is in the clouds. And when I mean euphoric, I really do mean euphoric. He was insanely happy.
Since it bothered you enough to post about it, I would call them back on Monday and ask for a supervisor. Not only would they want to know about this, but the fact that the transaction took so long would allow them to see that someone is not very efficient at all and possibly needs more training.
shah8

Post by shah8 »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 pm I've experienced a fairly significant number of fairly weird/odd exchanges with financial representatives of banks/brokerages due to them working from home, but this is the first time I've had a conversation with a representative that I am fairly sure was on drugs.
Sounds like High Fidelity.

Post by 000 »

To think, a few months ago I was reading a continual stream of reports here about how great Fidelity's customer service was.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

000 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:54 am To think, a few months ago I was reading a continual stream of reports here about how great Fidelity's customer service was.
It is great. I'd rather have a stoned guy helping me than a stuffed shirt.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

If I can get a phone rep who is not a slave to the script, I rejoice.

I know someone who works for a brokerage phone center and the last week of December through mid Feb. are the hardest times of the year. The abuse to pay ratio is high. Call volume is insane and the majority of the questions and comments are not exactly... informed. Some people call to have their balances read to them. Not elderly people. Not vision impaired people.

My guess is the rep was so excited to dealing with someone like you, they could not contain their excitement.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Maybe the rep is a bit manic. People can be a bit manic at times but function all right in their jobs. I would give the representative the benefit of the doubt.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

Caduceus wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:18 am
Katietsu wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:01 am You heard it. So, it is hard for us to make a better judgement. But, based only on your description, I do not know why your thought is drug use. Maybe something funny was going on in his house. Maybe his kid was making faces at him. Or, as others have said, he was just trying to show enthusiasm and and that he cared about making you happy, two characteristics that he was probably trained to strive towards. Did he provide the service that you requested?

I'm admittedly not the best person to decide if someone's high on drugs, having never been high myself or seen someone high. But it was definitely a very weird conversation. The constant giggling, repeating of words, and the self-commentary. He wasn't really talking to me. He was mostly talking to himself and giggling.

After hearing the balance of responses, I think I'll just chalk it up to a random experience and do nothing. I did start recording the call halfway because for a moment I thought I had entered the phone number wrongly and reached a spam/prank service - that was how unprofessional it was. I kept thinking - "is this guy from Fidelity?" It is very unsettling to have a customer rep constantly giggle on you for no good reason while taking twenty minutes to finish up what should have been a three minute request because his head is in the clouds. And when I mean euphoric, I really do mean euphoric. He was insanely happy.
Maybe the current bull market is causing his state of euphoria
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I would give the rep the benefit of the doubt. It may be that they had been warned about a previous interaction with a customer and were freaked out about being fired if there was another complaint. I can sympathize with this. I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone losing their job over an incidental complaint, especially during this time of heightened anxiety over job security.

I worked as a long distance operator to get in the door at megacorp about 45 years ago. Every call was monitored, or at least that was the warning, which was largely accurate. Every response was prescribed and it was required to use the same exact wording in a number of different situations. The operator was constantly threatened with discipline, up to and including termination if one word was out of place in a sentence. You didn't have to be rude to be disciplined. Being slightly dyslexic was sufficient in that regard.

Later in my career all employees had GPS trackers installed on their company vehicles, which measured not only your exact location but your speed as well. The vehicle's status was closely watched from a centralized location and if you strayed from what they considered the best route by even a block or two you would receive an immediate call asking you to explain. Automatic flags appeared on the screen of those monitoring if the system detected an anomaly.

People are human, especially when they are at home. They should be excused for that.
Last edited by vested1 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

duplicate
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Dave's not here, man.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

This is my reaction as well. Sounds like a junior CSR who went overboard in trying to show enthusiasm. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and move on. As others have said, if given the choice I'd rather have your experience than an unmotivated/unenthusiastic CSR who clearly would prefer to be doing something/anything else than talking with me at that moment. Although ideally, I'd just want someone to help me without all the histrionics and drama. I'd let it go.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
NYCguy

Post by NYCguy »

Reporting it is beneficial to the rep and FIDO. Managers use these recordings as training and teaching moments. It also will help identify a problem if it exists.

I would not report this if it were Verizon or a cc call center. I suspect those reps would be punished and I don’t need that karma.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

manatee2005 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:05 pm

He was just trying to give you an awesome experience. Why even make an accusation that he was on drugs? Geez.
Maybe they are new at this and nervous/inexperienced. I just bought a new car last week (great deals on Prius Prime). The kid was clearly in his early 20's and said a lot of weird stuff. He was making nervous conversation. Turns out I was his first sale.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Wow, on drugs really? I take it you have not worked in a call center. The work gets pretty monotonous at times. Back in the late 90s I worked for Microsoft, I could walk users through fixing their problems in my head without even looking at my screens. Creating a positive experience for the customers is always pushed hard and every CSR knows your calls are recorded and listened to.

The CSR was probably just trying to change things up and trying to fill in time while their back end system was being slow and not responding.
I guess they could have asked you what the weather was like.

Dogs barking, fans blowing, kids interrupting etc this is the new norm. Even once the pandemic is over few of these types of jobs are going back into a sterile building. Upper management has figured out its cheaper to have the employees at home vs providing office space. There is also a nasty trend of treating these folks as 1099s instead of employees...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

This board baffles me sometimes. There is an active thread about Vanguard sending $150,000 mistakenly to an ex-spouse and then blaming the complainant for the error, and many if not most responses are to the tune of “I’ve never had a problem” or “chill out dude, this happens all the time.” But here we have a Fidelity call center rep who was too happy and friendly and the consensus is to report him and that he might be on drugs, :oops:
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Instead of drug, may be something else was going on with him? Surely, as an adult, can't you think of any other activity that person or somebody else in that household might be engaged in to make this representative very very happy?

It could be his kid doing faces at him or the kid tickling him while on this call.

If you thought something else, get your dirty mind off the gutter!

Seriously, I would just let it go.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Barking dogs would annoy me more than an overly enthusiastic CSR rep.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Unless the conversation which you had was totally inappropriate, I'd be prone to drop it.

As an aside, a neighbor of mine made a complaint "against" a CSR at an automobile roadside assistance firm that is based here in the southwest. Long story short, the CSR ended up being terminated by the firm----but subsequently sued the employer----and my neighbor ended up being dragged into the subsequent employment suit (I believe as a "witness" not as a defendant, etc., but I'm not sure of all the specifics).
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Maybe the Fidelity rep secretly aspires to sell used cars.

Or whole life insurance.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

000 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:54 am To think, a few months ago I was reading a continual stream of reports here about how great Fidelity's customer service was.
This.
yougotitdude

Post by yougotitdude »

It was probably a new hire. I highly doubt they were on drugs.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 pm
Personally I don't find this strange in general, tho maybe for Fidelity. The rep sounds like a Zappos rep. I was on the phone with Zappos yesterday and the rep was similarly euphoric--as has been every Zappos rep I have ever spoken to. I like it and don't find it strange--and Zappos provides excellent customer service. It's just a different approach.

Did your issue get addressed? If so, I'd let it go.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

If I had never done drugs or never seen someone high on drugs (which I doubt), I’d be very hesitant to make an accusation like that based solely on a phone convo
btenny

Post by btenny »

Do you really want the rep fired for talking tooooo nice? I think this is likely the result if you report it and suggest drugs.... Think about it. You do not know what was going on at his house. There are dozens of good nice reasons for the euphoric talk. So why make trouble.

Good Luck.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

shah8 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:13 am
LOL.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
csmath

Post by csmath »

Maybe it was __________________________. (fill in the blank)

There are a million reasons both positive and negative why this could have happened but I guess playing the maybe game can be endless silly fun.

If it was any experience outside the bounds of what you reasonably would expect, I'd report it. That goes for both exceptionally good or bad. People doing a great job would benefit from your feedback as well as people that did a poor job. It also isn't your responsibility to try to guess how Fidelity will deal with any feedback that you give.

Since the person has access to all sorts of sensitive information I think that you should follow up with Fidelity about it and suggest they listen to the recording for themselves as you don't want to make any accusations. It would not be in their best interest to get rid of a new employee if it simply a matter of too much enthusiasm and someone who is trying to do a good job. Those sorts of employees can be trained and mentored into great employees. Leave it up to them on how they choose to follow up with your information.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

shah8 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:13 am
Thanks for making me have a big belly laugh. Made my day.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

It could have been someone who was new and possibly nervous and/or enthusiastic. People have different ways of getting rid of that energy. I get very quiet when I'm nervous but I've seen others giggle and act like your rep was too.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
yules

Post by yules »

Cruise wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:52 pm
Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:07 pm I would report it to Fidelity. They record the calls and can listen to it. They will probably think just as you did. I wouldn't want someone drunk or high handling financial transactions for me.
+1. Report it. No need to have drug-using or manic-state individuals with access to your financial information.
It doesn't seem to have bothered OP enough to hang up the phone.

Yules
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Just ordered a pizza from the local shop. After placing my order, the response was ..Thanks for your order. YOU ARE AWESOME KATIETSU.

I understand food vs financial services. But I think there is a trend. Sort of like you now need to put at least three exclamation points at the end of your text to prove you really mean it!!!
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

"Awesome" is the way to describe something awe-inspiring, like holding your child in your arms for the first time, looking through a telescope and seeing Saturn's rings personally, a deeply spiritual experience, etc.

It describes a truly profound experience. Getting one's security question correct hardly qualifies.

Awesome things one experiences in a full lifetime can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

I'm trying to imagine how a call to Fidelity would go.

Fidelity: "Fidelity customer service. How may I help you?"

Customer: "Hello. I called Fidelity yesterday and spoke to one of your reps about an issue I was having."

Fidelity: "OK."

Customer: "And the rep was acting strange. And I think Fidelity should know about it."

Fidelity: "I'm sorry to hear that. How was the rep acting strange?"

Customer: "He was really nice, like over-the-top nice, and really happy."

Fidelity: "I'm sorry, why was that a problem?"

Customer: "And he was talking like Keanu Reeves."

Fidelity: "I like Keanu Reeves."

Customer: "Me too, but I thought it was strange."

Fidelity: "Why?"

Customer: "Because when I call Fidelity I don't expect to talk to Keanu Reeves."

Fidelity: "I can understand that. Did the rep solve your issue?"

Customer: "Yes."

Fidelity: "Did the rep say say anything inappropriate or make you unconformable in any way?"

Customer: "No."

Fidelity: "But you were upset that he sounded happy and talked like Keanu Reeves?"

Customer: "Exactly."

Fidelity: "How about the way I talk? Is that ok?"

Customer: "Yes, you sound like George Clooney."

Fidelity: "Thanks for letting us know. I'll pass this on to my supervisor. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Customer: "No, that's it. Thanks."

Fidelity: "Hasta la vista, dude."

If the rep didn't solve your issue or otherwise didn't do his job, I'd complain, but otherwise would drop it.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

cowdogman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:49 pm I'm trying to imagine how a call to Fidelity would go.

Customer: "Hello. I called Fidelity yesterday and spoke to one of your reps about an issue I was having."

Customer: "And the rep was acting strange. And I think Fidelity should know about it."

Customer: "Because when I call Fidelity I don't expect to talk to Keanu Reeves."

Fidelity: "Did the rep say say anything inappropriate or make you unconformable in any way?"

Fidelity: "But you were upset that he sounded happy and talked like Keanu Reeves?"

Fidelity: "Thanks for letting us know. I'll pass this on to my supervisor. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

If the rep didn't solve your issue or otherwise didn't do his job, I'd complain, but otherwise would drop it.
Classic! :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

manatee2005 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:57 am
It is great. I'd rather have a stoned guy helping me than a stuffed shirt.
Like Wow man!
A fool and his money are good for business.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Stinky wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm
cowdogman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:49 pm I'm trying to imagine how a call to Fidelity would go.

Classic! :D
Don’t you mean “AWESOME!” ?