What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tooluser

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

"It" and "It:Chapter 2". The first one is not that great, and the second one is worse. Very unsatisfying overall.

The first one was watchable, sort of a horror version of "Stand By Me". Strangely, it gets less scary as the movie goes on.

The second one was almost three hours long, and I wanted to stop watching it about 30 minutes in, but soldiered on in segments over a few days. It's actually a sci fi movie with a lot of plot devices, tropes, rip-offs from other movies, and characters that break character at random times to support the plot. Not scary at all (though not for children).

I liked the character of the main villain but it's never really explained how it came about. I liked seeing how the kids from the first movie grew up in the second one, but they all devolved to character tropes, nothing original or believable. The occasionally interesting and inventive CGI is all that kept me watching, though even that failed at several points. Phooey.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I just watched a movie called "Lucky" and I recommend it strongly, especially for people over fifty years old. It is available on kanopy.com, a free web site that has hundreds if not thousands of free uncut movies. To join you need a library card and five minutes to register. Check out "Lucky" on imdb.com. You will not be disappointed, and you may be enlightened. And how many movies can say that?
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:01 pm DW and I currently binging on "The Mandalorian".

Finished binging on "Jessica Jones" last week. The series came on marginally well done at the beginning but plot fragmented as time went on. Nowhere near as good as "Alias", "Strike Back", "Homeland", "The Black List", or "Yellowstone", which we binged on before that.

j :D
There is a post that deals with tv shows.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:52 am
Dead Man Walking wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 pm Casablanca on Turner Classic Movies. I recorded it with my DVR. It’s amazing how many lines from this film are cliches.

DMW
6 are in the AFI 100 Movie Quotes list. More than any other film.
And there were many more that should have been but were left out. "I came to Casablanca for the waters; what waters? we're in the desert; I was misinformed". "I’m shocked to find that gambling is going on here; your winnings, sir. Oh, thank you very much”
A classic for the ages.
I agree. And the way Bogart casually said, "I was misinformed," was the epitome of cool.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

vbdoug wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:14 pm I just watched a movie called "Lucky" and I recommend it strongly, especially for people over fifty years old.
Noted. Quite the cast.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

jjunk wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 pm Sound of Metal, absolutely fantastic, one of the best movies of 2020.

Story is of a drummer who quickly begins to lose his hearing. The sound engineering alone make this movie worth watching but I wouldnt be shocked if the lead wins best actor (or if this wins best picture)
Thank you for the recommendation. I couldn't sleep last night so I watched this and was entranced from beginning to end. Definitely agree with your points!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:45 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:37 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 am A Wonderful Life, on Amazon Prime.

An outstanding Christmas movie starting Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.
Same here, but the Black & White version. It's A Wonderful Life (Black & White Version) | Prime Video
I wasn't aware that there was a colorized version, until we got it by mistake
+1. When we watched it on Christmas eve, something looked strange. We could not figure it out... until about halfway through we realized we'd only seen it in black and white until then!
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

The Straight Story (1999) with Richard Farnsworth, directed by David Lynch. I really enjoyed this one. Based on a true story, an old man travels on a lawn mower across several states to visit his brother. I know, sounds crazy. Farnsworth was nominated for best actor Oscar. (Spacey won for American Beauty.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

McDougal wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm The Straight Story (1999) with Richard Farnsworth, directed by David Lynch. I really enjoyed this one. Based on a true story, an old man travels on a lawn mower across several states to visit his brother. I know, sounds crazy. Farnsworth was nominated for best actor Oscar. (Spacey won for American Beauty.
I liked this film too. You’d probably also like
Nebraska
(2013) with Bruce Dern.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Philomena starring Judi Dench.
Free on TubiTV.
True story of a mother tracking down her child 50 years later.
Wonderful story and Dench is superb.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Toy Story 3, on DVD. I'd call this more of a dark comedy with shades of horror. A few scenes may be upsetting (scary) to the younger kids. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 am Toy Story 3, on DVD. I'd call this more of a dark comedy with shades of horror. A few scenes may be upsetting (scary) to the younger kids. I liked it.
Meanest cartoon villain I've see... Lotso Bear :annoyed
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

"Sylvie's Love" on Amazon Prime.

Imagine a Douglas Sirk film except with Black leads, something that was not feasible during the era those films were being made. Great music and jazz.

If interested in more information, here's a review in the NYT, where it's a Critic's Pick:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/movi ... eview.html
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Matahari wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:45 pm "Sylvie's Love" on Amazon Prime.

Imagine a Douglas Sirk film except with Black leads, something that was not feasible during the era those films were being made. Great music and jazz.

If interested in more information, here's a review in the NYT, where it's a Critic's Pick:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/movi ... eview.html
Thanks for this post. Now in the Prime queue.....saw it is from the Amazon studio.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 pm
tenkuky wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:52 am
Dead Man Walking wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 pm Casablanca on Turner Classic Movies. I recorded it with my DVR. It’s amazing how many lines from this film are cliches.

DMW
6 are in the AFI 100 Movie Quotes list. More than any other film.
And there were many more that should have been but were left out. "I came to Casablanca for the waters; what waters? we're in the desert; I was misinformed". "I’m shocked to find that gambling is going on here; your winnings, sir. Oh, thank you very much”
A classic for the ages.
I agree. And the way Bogart casually said, "I was misinformed," was the epitome of cool.
And then there was "Round up the usual suspects."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Cautionary Tale

Post by Cautionary Tale »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:40 pm
McDougal wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm The Straight Story (1999) with Richard Farnsworth, directed by David Lynch. I really enjoyed this one. Based on a true story, an old man travels on a lawn mower across several states to visit his brother. I know, sounds crazy. Farnsworth was nominated for best actor Oscar. (Spacey won for American Beauty.
Nebraska
(2013) with Bruce Dern.
Great film. My only quibble is the deer scene.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Cautionary Tale wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:59 pm
Nebraska
(2013) with Bruce Dern.
Is it similar to the deer scene in Tommy Boy?
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

vbdoug wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:14 pm I just watched a movie called "Lucky" and I recommend it strongly, especially for people over fifty years old. It is available on kanopy.com, a free web site that has hundreds if not thousands of free uncut movies. To join you need a library card and five minutes to register. Check out "Lucky" on imdb.com. You will not be disappointed, and you may be enlightened. And how many movies can say that?
+1

I enjoyed "Lucky" a lot a couple months ago.

I also have Kanopy through my public library. There are some interesting gems on there. :happy
Cautionary Tale

Post by Cautionary Tale »

tooluser wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm
Nebraska
(2013) with Bruce Dern.
Never saw Tommy Boy, but can't imagine there are many similarities between Tommy Boy and The Straight Story.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

tooluser wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm
Nebraska
(2013) with Bruce Dern.

Now that's a good movie!
peppers

Post by peppers »

Tenet

A Sci-Fi action spy time inversion film directed by Christopher Nolan, starring John David Washington, Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki.

But you know that already because you have seen the movie and previously read this post.*

*See what I did there? 8-)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
walks a lot

Post by walks a lot »

Ex Machina. I'm not much of a movie guy, and I'm way behind on them. This one is several years old. With many movies, I lose interest, and end up thinking "Gee, I just wasted 1.5 - 2 hours of my life. I could have been doing something else". But not with this one. I was riveted to the screen. It's a trip. I highly recommend, especially if you have any interest at all in Artificial Intelligence.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

peppers wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:01 am Tenet

A Sci-Fi action spy time inversion film directed by Christopher Nolan, starring John David Washington, Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki.

But you know that already because you have seen the movie and previously read this post.*

*See what I did there? 8-)
:sharebeer
I liked it a lot. Will likely buy it (like I did with Inception) so I can rewatch over and over to learn more.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

walks a lot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm Ex Machina. I'm not much of a movie guy, and I'm way behind on them. This one is several years old. With many movies, I lose interest, and end up thinking "Gee, I just wasted 1.5 - 2 hours of my life. I could have been doing something else". But not with this one. I was riveted to the screen. It's a trip. I highly recommend, especially if you have any interest at all in Artificial Intelligence.
It's a great movie! I'm surprised it's not more recognized.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Jojo Rabbit (2019).
Free DVD from public library
Fantastic, poignant, funny tale of a young boy in Nazi Germany with his imaginary friend, Adolf
Last edited by tenkuky on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Toy Story 4, on DVD. I got this as part of a boxed set. Toystory 1 -3 are good. This one, not so much. Meh.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I got a NYT email a few weeks ago about movies leaving Netflix in January. One is Swiss Army Man, leaving 1/29.

I would post a link to the official trailer but suggest you google it instead if interested. If you're offended by the trailer the movie isn't for you. I would suggest you not watch the trailer with any youngsters, especially your own teens or 20 somethings, but maybe that's just me.

I did watch the movie and found it to be not your average movie. The Times come-on describes "... this 2016 story of a desperate man (Paul Dano), trapped on a desert island, who befriends a washed-up corpse (Daniel Radcliffe) and makes ingenious use of the dead man’s post-mortem flatulence. Maybe it’s off-the-charts bizarre, maybe it’s tasteless, but you’ve got to admit: You’ve never seen anything quite like it."

This bromance won the best directors' award at Sundance that year.

If you watch, you might report back.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:52 pm I got a NYT email a few weeks ago about movies leaving Netflix in January. One is Swiss Army Man, leaving 1/29.

I would post a link to the official trailer but suggest you google it instead if interested. If you're offended by the trailer the movie isn't for you. I would suggest you not watch the trailer with any youngsters, especially your own teens or 20 somethings, but maybe that's just me.

I did watch the movie and found it to be not your average movie. The Times come-on describes "... this 2016 story of a desperate man (Paul Dano), trapped on a desert island, who befriends a washed-up corpse (Daniel Radcliffe) and makes ingenious use of the dead man’s post-mortem flatulence. Maybe it’s off-the-charts bizarre, maybe it’s tasteless, but you’ve got to admit: You’ve never seen anything quite like it."

Thanks very much (sincerely) for adding the little summary.
Saved us the bother of going to the trailer.

There's something for everyone...
:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:43 pm Jojo Rabbit (2020).
Free DVD from public library
Fantastic, poignant, funny tale of a young boy in Nazi Germany with his imaginary friend, Adolf
Really enjoyed JoJo Rabbit.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Equalizer part 2” and it was good. Anything with Denzel is good!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Equalizer_2

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I watched Cast Away for the first time this week....can't believe she married the dentist!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968, Italy)

Spaghetti western with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Jack Elam, Keenan Wynn, directed by Sergio Leone, music by Ennio Morricone.

A mysterious stranger with a harmonica joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad.

This is the last major spaghetti western that I hadn’t seen and it’s a beautiful and pleasurable film to watch. The plot may be thin but it’s so atmospheric it takes you to a different place in space and time. And if you like steam engines you’ll be especially delighted. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel (will be gone on Feb. 1).
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telemark

Post by telemark »

In This Corner of the World, on Netflix. Japanese animation with subtitles. set near Hiroshima in the 1940s. Slow paced and of necessity very dark--I recommend not watching it all in one sitting--but ultimately more optimistic than Grave of the Fireflies, which it somewhat resembles.

The artwork is absolutely gorgeous and explores story-telling in ways that CGI or film could never do.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:52 pm I got a NYT email a few weeks ago about movies leaving Netflix in January. One is Swiss Army Man, leaving 1/29.

We love Paul Dano ever since we saw him in "Little Miss Sunshine". Saw this movie when it came to Netflix years ago and really liked it too. If you like weird indie films like this you might also like "The Greasy Strangler'".
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

Clue. c. 1985. Set in 1950s.
DH hadn’t seen it and was forced to watch - not sure how he got through the teenage years without watching it ever.
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Freetime76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:31 pm Clue. c. 1985. Set in 1950s.
DH hadn’t seen it and was forced to watch - not sure how he got through the teenage years without watching it ever.
Never understood the cult following for this one, honestly. Aside from Madeline Kahn's costume, I can't recall anything that made this movie worth seeing.

Edit to add: Clearly it's been too long, as obviously I was referring to the maid's costume.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"Breach"

This is the 2007 movie, NOT the more recent sci fi one.

It's about the Robert Hanssen story. He was apparently the worst US spy (against the USA), or at least the worst that has been made public.

Catching him was a "big deal", and many may remember it. He was arrested in 2001. Before Hanssen was caught, Aldrich Ames was apparently the worst (known) spy of this type.

The movie includes the end of the chase, and then his capture, but almost nothing of how he got started, etc.

RM
nokoast

Post by nokoast »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm Once Upon a Time in the West (1968, Italy)

Spaghetti western with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Jack Elam, Keenan Wynn, directed by Sergio Leone, music by Ennio Morricone.

A mysterious stranger with a harmonica joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad.

This is the last major spaghetti western that I hadn’t seen and it’s a beautiful and pleasurable film to watch. The plot may be thin but it’s so atmospheric it takes you to a different place in space and time. And if you like steam engines you’ll be especially delighted. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel (will be gone on Feb. 1).
One of my favorite westerns. Great movie.
"What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?" MW 16:26
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I started Captain Marvel on Disney+ and gave up. Is it Disney+ that's so dark on the screen or is it my TV settings. I've tried to adjust them w/o any success. That said, the 30 - 45 minutes I gave the show were uninteresting to me. Most in an another realm with little story, then finally on earth, but hard to follow. I don't recommend it.

An aside, there was a story in NYT 1/19/21 about a website similar to this thread that lets you look at movie recommends and keep lists of what you've watched. It's https://letterboxd.com/welcome/

It's got lists of movies and more. It suggested Captain Marvel and others to me, most not available w/o paying beyond the services I have access to..

Anyone familiar with it? Is it useful?
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

A mellow Western comedy; Sam Peckinpah's The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970). Pauline Kael described it as "a genial miss." Jason Robards is excellent in the tile role.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:14 pm "Breach"

It's about the Robert Hanssen story. He was apparently the worst US spy (against the USA), or at least the worst that has been made public.

Catching him was a "big deal", and many may remember it. He was arrested in 2001. Before Hanssen was caught, Aldrich Ames was apparently the worst (known) spy of this type.

The movie includes the end of the chase, and then his capture, but almost nothing of how he got started, etc.

RM
There was an excellent mini-series on the women who didn't let up on the search for the spy that turned out to be Ames.

I think it was The Assets, 8 part series from 2014. (Sorry, it isn't a movie!)
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rich126 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:41 pm

RM
There was an excellent mini-series on the women who didn't let up on the search for the spy that turned out to be Ames.

I think it was The Assets, 8 part series from 2014. (Sorry, it isn't a movie!)
Many thanks.
I didn't know about this, but will definitely look for it.

RM
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

RM
Yes, the movie with Chris Cooper as Hanssen. He's a fine actor.

I've read The Bureau and the Mole, by David A. Vise. It goes in to Hanssen's background and explores his motivation.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

jginseattle wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm

RM
Yes, the movie with Chris Cooper as Hanssen. He's a fine actor.

I've read The Bureau and the Mole, by David A. Vise. It goes in to Hanssen's background and explores his motivation.
Yes, Cooper was very good.
I also liked Laura Linney.

One of my college roommates' brothers shared a college dorm with Robert Hanssen. She was visiting me not too long after Hanssen's arrest was public.
His (the brother, not Hanssen!) comment was that Hanssen wasn't memorable.
And that probably made it easier for him to do what he did.

Thanks.
I'll look for the book!

RM
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Speaking of Chris Cooper...
Really enjoyed Irresistible (2020)
Public library free DVD.
Such a timely story about political consultants and shenanigans during elections.
The dialogue is hilarious and I enjoyed the twist.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:23 pm
One of my college roommates' brothers shared a college dorm with Robert Hanssen.
RM
Hahahaha. Reminds me of one of my fave lines from one of my fave movies..
"I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqXhieWU3M
cogitan

Post by cogitan »

The saphires on amazon prime. Good soundtrack with late 60s music.
H_H

Post by H_H »

Dead Poets Society

For some reason, I’d never gotten around to watching it and decided to last weekend. It ripped my heart out, but I absolutely loved it.
Last edited by H_H on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

She Done Him Wrong (1933) Mae West, Cary Grant, Noah Beery

In the Gay Nineties, a seductive nightclub singer contends with several suitors, including a jealous escaped convict and a handsome temperance league member.

I'm No Angel (1933) Mae West, Cary Grant, Gregory Ratoff

Circus performer Tira seeks a better life pursuing the company of wealthy New York men with improbable comic complications along the way.

I streamed these films on The Criterion Channel, I’d never seen them before. Grant is very young here. Some fun burlesque singing performances by Mae West! Both are good Mae West films with I’m No Angel the better of the two and probably her best film, though I carry a special fondness for her pairing with W.C. Fields in My Little Chickadee (1940). Fields and West hated each other, with Fields famously saying (offscreen) that West is “a plumber’s idea of Cleopatra”.