Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bulbul

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by bulbul »

Cool! I have never seen one in the wild before.
Candor wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 am A recent eagle with lunch.

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Last week on hike we saw beautiful Red-Shouldered Hawk and Easten Blue Bird
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Candor wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:15 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 pm Until you see one in person, you don't realize how big those birds are in real life.
And quite formidable hunters. I have seen them fend of Bald Eagles who try to steal their catch.
And I’ve seen them eating a rabbit and a snake in videos by the great wildlife photographer Mark Smith from Florida. Has a wonderful YouTube channel
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Candor

Post by Candor »

RubyTuesday wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:18 pm
Candor wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:15 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 pm Until you see one in person, you don't realize how big those birds are in real life.
And quite formidable hunters. I have seen them fend of Bald Eagles who try to steal their catch.
And I’ve seen them eating a rabbit and a snake in videos by the great wildlife photographer Mark Smith from Florida. Has a wonderful YouTube channel
Yes, I think they will attempt to eat just about anything they think they can swallow. I found this one years ago with a snake and you can guess who won this battle.

The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

There was a Northern Flicker on my suet feeder. I think this was the first time I saw one this season.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Great shot!
What camera and lens did you use?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bulbul

Post by bulbul »

Yesterday I went hiking around a lake of a state park in the Midwest. I saw a bunch of Canada Geese on the water. They were staying frozen with some snow on their backs. It was amazing! I always thought they migrate south for overwintering.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Great shot!

Thanks! It was taken with a Canon 1D Mark IV and the v1 500mm f4 with a 1.4x converter.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

bulbul wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:02 pm Yesterday I went hiking around a lake of a state park in the Midwest. I saw a bunch of Canada Geese on the water. They were staying frozen with some snow on their backs. It was amazing! I always thought they migrate south for overwintering.
I've read that while many migrate south, there are some that stay behind as local residents during the winter. We have quite a few in my area through the winter munching on frozen grass, etc.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Candor wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:06 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Great shot!

Thanks! It was taken with a Canon 1D Mark IV and the v1 500mm f4 with a 1.4x converter.
All Pro!!!!

Good job!
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Yesterday, I was at my Dad's house at sunset. Two houses down from his in two redwood trees is a roosting spot for large white Egrets. When they come, it's dusk enough that it's hard get a decent picture them sitting in the trees, but I'd estimate there are 50+ in these trees. They are not very neighborly when one lands too close to them, both verbally and pecking.

In daylight, these trees look similar to a poorly frosted Christmas tree.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm Yesterday, I was at my Dad's house at sunset. Two houses down from his in two redwood trees is a roosting spot for large white Egrets. When they come, it's dusk enough that it's hard get a decent picture them sitting in the trees, but I'd estimate there are 50+ in these trees. They are not very neighborly when one lands too close to them, both verbally and pecking.

Cool!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:16 pm
bulbul wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:02 pm Yesterday I went hiking around a lake of a state park in the Midwest. I saw a bunch of Canada Geese on the water. They were staying frozen with some snow on their backs. It was amazing! I always thought they migrate south for overwintering.
I've read that while many migrate south, there are some that stay behind as local residents during the winter. We have quite a few in my area through the winter munching on frozen grass, etc.
There are several aerated ponds nearby. The aerators keep large spots of water open during winter and some Canadian geese over-wintering here. The geese feed on lawns during the day and return at dusk.

I've seen foxes on the ice trying to get to the geese, but the geese seem know they are safe if they stay in the open water and away from the edge of the ice.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Daily sightings at my feeder here in Camas WA (Portland metro)

Northern Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Scrub Jay
Steller's Jay
House Finch
Chickadees and Juncos
Starlings
Sparrows

Infrequent visitors
Pileated Woodpecker
Cooper's Hawk
Red winged blackbirds

At the subdivision pond a block away I frequently see
Blue Heron
Green Heron
Canada Geese
various ducks

In the woods behind my house we have resident Great Horned Owl, Barred Owls, and LOTS of crows.

I'm not a serious birder. I don't go out on birding expeditions. But I do like to pay attention to what visits us here.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am I saw my first Say's Phoebe today. :happy
I have had one near me in Los Angeles for about a week now. First one I had ever seen too. (I assume it's the same one this whole time...)
We have black phoebes year-round, but apparently the Say's only overwinters around here. A very different call than the black ones.
My yard must have good bugs to eat.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 am
RetiredAL wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm Yesterday, I was at my Dad's house at sunset. Two houses down from his in two redwood trees is a roosting spot for large white Egrets. When they come, it's dusk enough that it's hard get a decent picture them sitting in the trees, but I'd estimate there are 50+ in these trees. They are not very neighborly when one lands too close to them, both verbally and pecking.

Cool!
This is the best I can edit the picture to.

Egrets in tree at my Dad's house in Stockton -- zoom in.

I often see Egrets on my morning walk in Los Gatos at Lake Vasona. This was 3 weeks ago.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL:

That sure does look like an "egret Xmas tree"! Thanks for posting the photo. :beer
bulbul

Post by bulbul »

I've seen foxes on the ice trying to get to the geese, but the geese seem know they are safe if they stay in the open water and away from the edge of the ice.
That is fun. These foxes must be really starving in winter.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Saw a flock of about 50 Sandhill Cranes flying over my neighborhood yesterday. Their call is very distinctive.

Just another set of Canadian snowbirds on their way to Florida. I don't know how they beat the border controls. :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Chip wrote: Saw a flock of about 50 Sandhill Cranes flying over my neighborhood yesterday. Their call is very distinctive.

Just another set of Canadian snowbirds on their way to Florida. I don't know how they beat the border controls. :D
Haha! They'll be pretty shocked when they arrive in the Sunshine State - it's been a frigid 55 degrees in South Florida :shock:
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Ok, I'll bite, pretty sure those are decoys :oops: :D
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:55 am... - it's been a frigid 55 degrees in South Florida :shock:
It's just starting to get cold enough to go camping. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Chip wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:46 am Saw a flock of about 50 Sandhill Cranes flying over my neighborhood yesterday. Their call is very distinctive.

I love Sandhill Cranes! The "kettling" sound they make is so distinctive.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/San ... e/overview
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/d/13x ... 9IKrd_voRi

Google says this is a red-bellied woodpecker. Mid-Atlantic, MD.
agbp

Post by agbp »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:54 pm Image

Yes! I saw one today on our platform feeder. When it landed, a bunch of pine siskins scattered. We have a suet cake out there too that's popular. We are in central NC.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Also, yes (Philly area).

Today, I'm fairly sure I saw a red-tail hawk when I was out taking a walk. He swooped in fairly close and perched up in a tree, but took off when I moved closer to get a better look. He definitely had a red tail (viewed from below) and was the right size. The colors also matched.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/
agbp

Post by agbp »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:50 pm I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

What a handsome fellow!

From your link, a charming scene:
"When nature calls, nestling kestrels back up, raise their tails, and squirt feces onto the walls of the nest cavity. The feces dry on the cavity walls and stay off the nestlings. The nest gets to be a smelly place, with feces on the walls and uneaten parts of small animals on the floor."
:happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

agbp wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:36 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:50 pm I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

What a handsome fellow!

From your link, a charming scene:
"When nature calls, nestling kestrels back up, raise their tails, and squirt feces onto the walls of the nest cavity. The feces dry on the cavity walls and stay off the nestlings. The nest gets to be a smelly place, with feces on the walls and uneaten parts of small animals on the floor."
:happy
LOL. I'll have to go back and read about some of the other Kestrel behaviors! :eek:
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:50 am
Chip wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:46 am Saw a flock of about 50 Sandhill Cranes flying over my neighborhood yesterday. Their call is very distinctive.

I saw two Sandhill Cranes (I am pretty sure) and (definitely) one Little Blue Heron today.
I was fishing at a Florida state park on the gulf and the weather was perfect!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

mike@jb wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:23 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:50 am

I saw two Sandhill Cranes (I am pretty sure) and (definitely) one Little Blue Heron today.
I was fishing at a Florida state park on the gulf and the weather was perfect!
Cool! The range map at Cornell (link above) shows Sandhills are in Florida in the winter and year around (different parts of the state). :happy
bulbul

Post by bulbul »

Today's visitors to my backyard: cardinals, starlings, mourning doves, a downy woodpecker, and a bunch of sparrows. I got a picture of the downy woodpecker on the river birch.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

I nominate this thread - "Bird watchers - what birds are you seeing?" - as The Thread Of The Year :happy

This delightful thread with its gorgeous photos of birds, many taken by Bogleheads, has been the most uplifting respite during this weary year.

Thank you, JAZZISCOOL, for not only beginning this thread, but keeping it lively and educational the year long. 8-)

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams . . . So shines a good deed in a weary world."
-- Willie Wonka

:sharebeer
agbp

Post by agbp »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:54 pm I nominate this thread - "Bird watchers - what birds are you seeing?" - as The Thread Of The Year :happy

This delightful thread with its gorgeous photos of birds, many taken by Bogleheads, has been the most uplifting respite during this weary year.

Thank you, JAZZISCOOL, for not only beginning this thread, but keeping it lively and educational the year long. 8-)

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams . . . So shines a good deed in a weary world."
-- Willie Wonka

***Like*** And agree. :D
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:54 pm Image

We've seen a lot of the red bellied woodpecker lately too in the western pa area.

My personal favorite is the red headed woodpecker. Beautiful bird.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Wild ducks on a lake a few miles from our home. Early winter morning. The sun was brilliant off the water.

Ducks are very cool.
Canon 5dMkIV 200mm L lens.

Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulbul

Post by bulbul »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:21 pm Wild duck on a lake a few miles from our home. Early winter morning. The sun was brilliant off the water.

Ducks are very cool.

Beautiful! Good picture.
agbp

Post by agbp »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:21 pm Wild ducks on a lake a few miles from our home. Early winter morning. The sun was brilliant off the water.

Ducks are very cool.

Very pretty ducks and great photos. Do you know what kind of ducks they are?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

agbp wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:17 pm Very pretty ducks and great photos. Do you know what kind of ducks they are?
Likely someone here is a bird expert. I am not.

I call them "quackers", there are quite a few mountain lakes around us so there are a lot of "quackers", also other birds that frequent lakes.
The plain brown smaller ones in the picture are lady ducks, I think. And the large brighter colored ones are dad ducks.

dad duck. .. . mallard???
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Yes, mallard.

We have hooded mergansers steaming around the creek today.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:54 pm I nominate this thread - "Bird watchers - what birds are you seeing?" - as The Thread Of The Year :happy

-- Willie Wonka

Miriam2:

How kind! The real credit goes to birds and our wild world in general especially during the challenging world of 2020 and to all of the other BH's who post with their sightings, photos, etc.

Here's a toast to the birds!

:beer
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:41 am

-- Willie Wonka

Miriam2:

How kind! The real credit goes to birds and our wild world in general especially during the challenging world of 2020 and to all of the other BH's who post with their sightings, photos, etc.

Agree with Miriam2. This is THE thread I am most excited to see new posts in. Thank you to all who contributed.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:58 pm

-- Willie Wonka

Miriam2:

Agree with Miriam2. This is THE thread I am most excited to see new posts in. Thank you to all who contributed.
That's one great thing about wild birds - you never know what you're going to see! Even the usual suspects are fun to watch, though, IMO. I also like to learn about other birds in other parts of the US.

Miriam2's Snoopy and Woodstock photo made me wonder what species Woodstock is? Anyway, they are cute BFF's. :happy

"Woodstock is a bird who is Snoopy's best friend. The only non-bird character who can understand Woodstock's speech is Snoopy."
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:27 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:58 pm

-- Willie Wonka

Miriam2:

That's one great thing about wild birds - you never know what you're going to see! Even the usual suspects are fun to watch, though, IMO. I also like to learn about other birds in other parts of the US.

Miriam2's Snoopy and Woodstock photo made me wonder what species Woodstock is? Anyway, they are cute BFF's. :happy

"Woodstock is a bird who is Snoopy's best friend. The only non-bird character who can understand Woodstock's speech is Snoopy."
Thank you (again) Miriam2 for your entire post as perfectly illustrated by Snoopy and Woodstock. (I just happen to have two tiny Snoopy/Woodstock carviings I taped to the top of my Mac desk top - one of them sledding together, Snoopy in his dog dish, Woodstock in his nest; the other of them catching snowflakes on their tongues.)

And thank you JAZZISCOOL for this great site, which I check in on daily even though i've made no new contributions for awhile (no new birds in the yard). As for Woodstock, I haven't wondered about his species as much as his sweet, but inexplicable friendship with a dog, even if it is the great Snoopy. Only Charles Schulz could've made that work so well.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

New yardbirds showed up yesterday, a flock of Common Redpolls (or a Gallup of Redpolls as my witty neighbor said).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

10 Hooded Mergansers steaming up the creek acting like they were the 7th fleet.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hubris wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:41 pm New yardbirds showed up yesterday, a flock of Common Redpolls (or a Gallup of Redpolls as my witty neighbor said).
Nice! I had to read up on Common Redpolls - haven't seen any before. They look a little like the male house finches (with red) but slightly different color placement and the head feathers look different. Also, the females have red as well.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Redpoll

I saw a large flock of Bushtits earlier - so fun to watch. Love suet. :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:02 pm 10 Hooded Mergansers steaming up the creek acting like they were the 7th fleet.
Lucky you! How fun.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:03 pm
Hubris wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:41 pm New yardbirds showed up yesterday, a flock of Common Redpolls (or a Gallup of Redpolls as my witty neighbor said).
Nice! I had to read up on Common Redpolls - haven't seen any before. They look a little like the male house finches (with red) but slightly different color placement and the head feathers look different. Also, the females have red as well.

Yes, and they behave a lot like Pine Siskins
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hubris wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:15 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes, and they behave a lot like Pine Siskins
Nice! I had my first flock of Pine Siskins come through in the past couple months. That was fun too.