New monitor making me dizzy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

New monitor making me dizzy

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

It is a 27" Acer, QHD, connected to an HP Ryzen 5 desktop. I am coming from a Thinkpad with a 12" screen.

I do experience some forms of.motion sickness and this is what I am experiencing in from of this monitor, search talks if action games and action movies, not part of my routine.

Any thoughts?
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
TheTimeLord

Re: New monitor making me dizzy

Post by TheTimeLord »

Check the refresh rates between your 2 computers. That can often be the cause.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Move the monitor away from you and/or sit further back. And try chewing gum.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

Do you do any gaming? If not get a 4K monitor. This one gets good reviews -- https://www.amazon.com/Acer-CB282K-smii ... 880&sr=8-7 Or one of these -- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -monitors/

Also do you have an AMD GPU? Enable Freesync if your monitor supports it. Even if you have Nvidia GPU I think they support FreeSync now.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

What type of cable are you using from computer to monitor? Edit to add: If it's a DVI cable, make sure you're using the correct type (i.e., single link DVI vs dual link DVI)
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

It could be an adjustment period. Particularly if you're close and there's a lot of motion, it could just be throwing you off to have more moving than used to be. I felt it a little when I upgraded from 20" to 27". It went away in a few days.

I've also had issues where I was feeling a little dizzy for other reasons -- thought it was eye strain, turned out to be allergies -- and what was really mild away from a screen ramped up a lot when I tried to watch any high-motion TV or computer activity. Treating the real issue alleviated the symptoms.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:26 pm Move the monitor away from you and/or sit further back. And try chewing gum.
I did move it back last night, it is against the wall, wait and see.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm What type of cable are you using from computer to monitor? Edit to add: If it's a DVI cable, make sure you're using the correct type (i.e., single link DVI vs dual link DVI)
It is an HMDI, if I was to have a DVI which type do I need, the materials with the monitor say HMDI or DVI without specifying
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

ronno2018 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:31 pm Do you do any gaming? If not get a 4K monitor. This one gets good reviews -- https://www.amazon.com/Acer-CB282K-smii ... 880&sr=8-7 Or one of these -- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -monitors/

Also do you have an AMD GPU? Enable Freesync if your monitor supports it. Even if you have Nvidia GPU I think they support FreeSync now.
This apparently needs a DVI cable, will get one tomorrow.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:22 pm
ronno2018 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:31 pm Do you do any gaming? If not get a 4K monitor. This one gets good reviews -- https://www.amazon.com/Acer-CB282K-smii ... 880&sr=8-7 Or one of these -- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -monitors/

This apparently needs a DVI cable, will get one tomorrow. How would higher resolution help??
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

You'll probably need a displayport for the higher resolutions....but you'll need to make sure the graphic card supports that.
I have no idea if higher resolution will help your motion sickness.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I saw this answer on reddit to a similar question (assuming your video card can handle the settnhgs)
make sure you set your monitor in the nvidia control panel sometimes it's set to 60 by default

In Nvidia control panel(change resolution tab)

Refresh rate: match your monitors spec

Output color depth: as high as it goes

Output dynamic range: full
Last edited by mhalley on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Duplicate
matti

Post by matti »

My new laptop screen gave me crazy headaches for the first few weeks. It turns out there was some setting that was automatically adjusting brightness of the screen based on the amount of ambient light in the room; this was giving me the problems. You may wish to see if you have a similar setting?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

matti wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:18 pm My new laptop screen gave me crazy headaches for the first few weeks. It turns out there was some setting that was automatically adjusting brightness of the screen based on the amount of ambient light in the room; this was giving me the problems. You may wish to see if you have a similar setting?
I don't know of any desktop monitor that has such a thing.
matti

Post by matti »

02nz wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm
matti wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:18 pm My new laptop screen gave me crazy headaches for the first few weeks. It turns out there was some setting that was automatically adjusting brightness of the screen based on the amount of ambient light in the room; this was giving me the problems. You may wish to see if you have a similar setting?
I don't know of any desktop monitor that has such a thing.
You may be right.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I get that I am looking at 2 parameters, refresh rate and resolution. I believe that the refresh rate is 75 Hz and isn't the resolution determined by the monitor, in this case, 2560 X 1440 (QHD)
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I tried a 27 and it made me dizzy too.

So I took it back and went with two 21 in displays. It's more convenient to get one window off on a different monitor sometimes, like when I'm looking at a bank account and writing a financial report.
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

Going from the small screen to a big one has you looking like this. :)

Give it some time you're eyes will adjust. Sitting further back will help as well.

Check the brightness and sharpness settings. these are often punched up to burn your eyes out settings to look good in the store. I would put your laptop next to it and adjust until the picture on the big screen has nearly the same brightness ands sharpness as the other.

I also like the warm setting vs the cool. It adds more yellow/brown to the whites so the look more like parchment paper vs cold bright white. Bright white often has blue init. Blue can be irritating on the eyes after a while.

Make sure your refresh rate is at least 60. If you have florescent lights that naturally flicker at 60Hz you might want to change it to 72 or 75Hz.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

when is the last time you've had an eye exam?
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:10 am when is the last time you've had an eye exam?
6 months ago; I think that my inherent tendency to get "seasick" is at play here, I have never been able to read in a car and boats are a no go zone.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Figuring_it_out wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:52 am Image

Going from the small screen to a big one has you looking like this. :)

Give it some time you're eyes will adjust. Sitting further back will help as well.

Check the brightness and sharpness settings. these are often punched up to burn your eyes out settings to look good in the store. I would put your laptop next to it and adjust until the picture on the big screen has nearly the same brightness ands sharpness as the other.

I also like the warm setting vs the cool. It adds more yellow/brown to the whites so the look more like parchment paper vs cold bright white. Bright white often has blue init. Blue can be irritating on the eyes after a while.

Make sure your refresh rate is at least 60. If you have florescent lights that naturally flicker at 60Hz you might want to change it to 72 or 75Hz.
I did turn the brightness down, no fluorescent lights, and the refresh is at 75 Hz.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 pm
FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm What type of cable are you using from computer to monitor? Edit to add: If it's a DVI cable, make sure you're using the correct type (i.e., single link DVI vs dual link DVI)
It is an HMDI, if I was to have a DVI which type do I need, the materials with the monitor say HMDI or DVI without specifying
Hmm, I doubt DVI will give you better resolution over HDMI. If you're going to try a DVI cable, you'll probably want dual link. Do a google image search for dual link vs single link and look at your ports to confirm the pin layout.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

As noted above, if you are sensitive to motion sickness, the movement of your head to look around the larger screen real estate of the 27" monitor might be sufficient to set it off. When I have a sinus infection, I can't use dual monitors because moving my head between the monitors sets off something very similar to motion sickness.

There's also the factor that you were previously looking down at the small laptop screen. Now you're looking up at a larger monitor. Viewing angles and distances have changed, as have the focal points for the screen. These means your range of motion has altered, as have the muscles you are using, including your eye muscles. Most people would experience this adjustment as back pain, neck pain, or eye strain, but it might be manifesting differently for you.

As someone else said, put the laptop and monitor side-by-side and adjust not only the brightness, but also the contrast and colors, so they are as identical as you can get them. This is the first step I take with any new monitor purchase, as I prefer a dimmer, warmer tone to my monitors than they ship with. That will eliminate those factors from consideration and leave just the physical characteristics and refresh rate/resolution as the primary suspects.

For the physical characteristics, I have an old shoulder injury, so I've gotten to know way more about computer ergonomics than I ever wanted to know. Ergonomics for the monitor is a combination of monitor distance, monitor height, and monitor angles.

For monitor distance, the old recommendation was to have your monitor an arms-length away, but that was for smaller monitors. A monitor of this size should be about three feet away from your sitting position. If you can reach out and touch it, it's too close. Preferably, you should barely be able to touch it with a 12 inch ruler in your hand. This is an ergonomic rule that the vast majority of people ignore, but it's very important to both minimize eye strain and neck movements. For you, the later is probably very important. Since you already have it against a wall, your only option to get more distance is to back up your chair. If the fonts seem to small at that distance, increase the magnification factor in the desktop settings rather than move closer.

For monitor height, the recommendation is to have the top of the monitor level with your eyes or below your eyes, so you are looking downwards at the monitor. You might want to start with the top of the monitor below your eye level to mimic (as much as possible given the taller height of the monitor) looking down at the laptop screen. Hopefully your monitor has an adjustable height stand.

If your monitor also has an adjustable tilt stand, another ergonomic recommendation is to tilt the monitor so the top is farther away from you than the bottom. Your laptop screen was probably tilted like this, so you're used to that position. But the main ergonomic purpose is to keep all parts of the screen as close to the same distance from your eyes as possible.

And maybe, for you, this is just going to be too much screen real estate and you'll need to move down to smaller monitor. It's all about recognizing what works best for you. If this isn't working for you, there's no harm in trying something different.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I am unable to use TN panels for any length of time. IPS or OLED panels are fine.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm Check the refresh rates between your 2 computers. That can often be the cause.
Definitely refresh rate.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:54 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm Check the refresh rates between your 2 computers. That can often be the cause.
Definitely refresh rate.
What is to be done, refresh rate is 75
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:55 am
Definitely refresh rate.
Try a different refresh rate and see if that's better.
If you use multiple monitors make sure they use the same refresh rate.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:18 pm It is a 27" Acer, QHD, connected to an HP Ryzen 5 desktop. I am coming from a Thinkpad with a 12" screen.

I do experience some forms of.motion sickness and this is what I am experiencing in from of this monitor, search talks if action games and action movies, not part of my routine.

Any thoughts?
Do you experience this watching video on other monitors or just this one?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:55 am
Definitely refresh rate.
It may be posture and body movements than the refresh rate.

Let me propose a little experiment. If you have a cell phone or other camera, record yourself using the laptop screen, then record yourself using the monitor. Try to do these recordings from an angle where you can see how your head and eyes track across the screens. Put the videos up side-by-side and compare your posture and movements.

Edit: And a second experiment. Do your best to only look at one place on the monitor, perhaps by putting up an image with a very clear and small focal point and/or by resting your head such that it's harder to unconsciously move it. Do you still get dizzy?