What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
flaccidsteele

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by flaccidsteele »

Burnt
Adam Jones is a talented chef who fell from grace as a result of his arrogance. Determined to resurrect his career, he moves to London and starts working in a prestigious restaurant.
https://youtu.be/QsyzkkI_g14

Chef
After losing his job at a popular restaurant, Chef Carl Casper attempts to start afresh by fixing up a food truck. In the process, he ends up becoming closer to his family.
https://youtu.be/FF_rYNupPwg
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
JamalJones

Post by JamalJones »

blueblock wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:50 pm Sometimes this thread cracks me up. How has it gone on forever with recommendations a mile wide and an inch deep? "It held my interest." "I don't recommend." Really!

And would it kill you to include a link to the trailer of the movie? For instance, I too liked The Vast of the Night, and here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiwpCJqMM0

See? It isn't hard!
Touché, good call!
TSP + Vanguard + Fidelity CMA: 80% equities / 20% bonds | "I don't shine shoes, I don’t tape ankles, I don't cut checks - straight cash homie!!" --R. Moss | Winner 2021 Hedge Fund Contest
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Tried watching Ava on Netflix. Got about 20 to 30 minutes in and gave up. Just awful.

Shame because I like both Jessica Chastain and John Malkovich .
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

JamalJones wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:51 pm
blueblock wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:50 pm Sometimes this thread cracks me up. How has it gone on forever with recommendations a mile wide and an inch deep? "It held my interest." "I don't recommend." Really!

And would it kill you to include a link to the trailer of the movie? For instance, I too liked The Vast of the Night, and here is the trailer:

See? It isn't hard!
Touché, good call!
Or readers could just Google to find the trailer of anything which sounds interesting.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 pm Tried watching Ava on Netflix. Got about 20 to 30 minutes in and gave up. Just awful.

Good to know. I was thinking about seeing it. Yes, Chastain is superb, I love re-watching Zero Dark Thirty, mainly for her performance.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:32 pm
JamalJones wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:51 pm

See? It isn't hard!
Touché, good call!
Or readers could just Google to find the trailer of anything which sounds interesting.
Sometimes I'll just peruse for ideas.

I'll partially agree with Blueblock, it would help to understand a bit about what it is that people liked, unless it is a very well known film or show. However I have no need to be given a link, like you say, Google works just fine.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:05 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 pm Tried watching Ava on Netflix. Got about 20 to 30 minutes in and gave up. Just awful.

Good to know. I was thinking about seeing it. Yes, Chastain is superb, I love re-watching Zero Dark Thirty, mainly for her performance.
It just seemed very formulaic, and I have a hard time seeing her as a bad assed assasin who is beating up 5 dudes with guns twice her size. Charlize Theron can kind of pull that off, but it just doesn't work for Chastain who has always seemed like a very cerebral character.

It seems like they cherry picked elements of dexter and killing eve and tried to make in an action adventure.
IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA »

Rose island.

Dubbed in English and English subtitles. True story.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"First Cow"

I liked it, a frontier vignette. But it is slow and rather odd: shot in 4:3 aspect ratio, it has some strange visuals, sparse dialog.
If you read about the director on Wikipedia, the intent of the film becomes much more clear. It was enjoyable even before I did that though.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 pm Witness for the Prosecution (2017), watched on Acorn streaming. Agatha Christie in a more serious mood, no tongue in cheek lightheartedness.

It stars Toby Jones, who really was the star of this show. He was magnificent.

Agatha Christie certainly is the queen of mystery and plot twisting.

Originally shown as a TV miniseries but shown here in total as a movie. It works well this way.
Thanks for mentioning this.

We just viewed the original "Witness For the Prosecution", but the 1957 version, with Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, and Tyrone Power (among others).

The plot twist caught us off guard. Fun!

Apparently, to keep part of the plot a surprise, certain pages of the script were not given to the actors until shortly before filming.
SPOILER ALERT: If you look for this in Wikipedia, you will learn the "plot twist".
We guessed only part of the "twists and turns".
It was fun to be surprised. :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Stalag17
Free on TubiTV.
Billy Wilder classic about American POWs in Germany, but there's a stoolie among them...
William Holden is superb and Wilder's humor cuts through.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Gaslight
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Seal Team Six. The Raid on Osama Bin Laden” on Netflix.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_Te ... _Bin_Laden

Enjoyed it.

Best.
Tony
Last edited by abuss368 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Girl

Excerpt from IMBD link below: A young woman returns to her small hometown intent on killing her abusive father only to discover someone murdered him the day before. As the girl searches for answers, she uncovers a family legacy more dangerous than she'd imagined.

From https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9392374/

Pretty good, some twists and turns.... would recommend

gamboolman....
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"The Babadook"

It was recommended in this topic six years ago, when it was new. I ignored it for a long time due to the seemingly silly title.
It's excellent.
Low budget, but it doesn't feel like it. Very gripping terror that keeps you guessing. I loved the ending.
Not for kids.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Adrift” on Netflix. True story and enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrift_(2018_film)
Best.
Tony
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Trip to Bountiful
Free on TubiTV
Forced by circumstances to live with her loathsome son and daughter-in-law, elderly Mrs. Watts wants nothing more out of life than to return to her home town of Bountiful

Geraldine Page's Oscar-winning performance for the ages. :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cars on DVD, rated G, 2006, Pixar (Disney) production, animated / comedy. A race car learns how to get along with others. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Tenet
A secret agent embarks on a dangerous, time-bending mission to prevent the start of World War III.

Had to watch it a few times. Inception-like. I enjoyed it

https://youtu.be/AZGcmvrTX9M

NB: The Protagonist is John David Washington, Denzel Washington’s son
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hillbilly Elegy, on Netflix.

Directed by Ron Howard, based on the memoir by J.D. Vance. A boy grows up in a very dysfunctional family in Southern Ohio, his mother is drug addicted, he is raised by his grandmother, joins the Marines, graduates from Ohio State and Yale Law. Almost as good as the book. I recommend this movie.

Trailer.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 »

My Octopus Teacher on Netflix.

Made me want to move to South Africa and have an octopus friend too.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Dead End (1937)
Free on TubiTV.
Gritty story about the inequities of a neighborhood in New York in the 1930s.
The "kids" are amazing, and where else can you see Humphrey Bogart get 3rd billing (he was magnificent too).
IrishPotofGold63

Post by IrishPotofGold63 »

Fallible wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 pm Zodiac. Beautifully made, excellent screenplay, great cast, wonderful acting, but the purpose of it all escapes me. Or maybe it's just director David Fincher who escapes me since I had a similar reaction to his psych thriller Gone Girl. The murders were horrifying, but two scenes almost as frightening were the interview of the main suspect by the three detectives, and the silent meeting between Graysmith and the suspect. John Carroll Lynch as the suspect was oustanding.
Well said - I just watched this weekend and wanted to see if others recommended.
I too loved the interrogation scene of the three detectives....especially Elias Koteas....so underrated.
Great acting - perfectly cast.
Everybody have fun tonight....everybody Wang Chung tonight (Wang Chung)
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Uncorked (2020) on Netflix -- about a young man who aspires to be a master sommelier. I had no idea that this is a designation and what goes into the training and certification to become one. The lead actor, Mamoudou Athie, is excellent, as is Courtney B. Vance. (Another film starring Athie is "Black Box" on Amazon Prime, which I'd recommended upthread.)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:02 pm Dead End (1937)
Free on TubiTV.
Gritty story about the inequities of a neighborhood in New York in the 1930s.
The "kids" are amazing, and where else can you see Humphrey Bogart get 3rd billing (he was magnificent too).
The Dead End Kids later became The Bowery Boys (Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, et al) who made a string of forgettable movies in the 1950s which I later saw on television. I haven’t seen them on TV in a long time, could be decades, so maybe the world forgot about them too.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Matahari wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 pm Uncorked (2020) on Netflix -- about a young man who aspires to be a master sommelier. I had no idea that this is a designation and what goes into the training and certification to become one. The lead actor, Mamoudou Athie, is excellent, as is Courtney B. Vance. (Another film starring Athie is "Black Box" on Amazon Prime, which I'd recommended upthread.)
+1 Thanks for these!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Friday night double feature on TCM late night (recorded in March, watched yesterday):

Land of Doom - A Mad Max-like, post-apocalyptic scifi motorcycle gang vs heroes flick. Not recommended, boring. However, it has one interesting feature: it was largely filmed in a region of Turkey that has many stone houses carved from natural rock formations. In many scenes, what looks like some crazy invented setpiece is/was actually someone's home.

The New Gladiators (a.k.a. Warriors of the Year 2072) - The finest of 1980s European Mad Max/Logan's Run/Running Man-like, post-apocalyptic scifi schlock. I watched the whole thing, because it was actually interesting, though very poorly made. The storyline is good, and someone had enough imagination to come up with newish inventive bits here and there. The special effects are 10-15 years behind the time it was filmed, the video is blurry, the acting is wooden, and very often the characters make meaningful glances at each other rather than say what is on their mind (something I find common to many European films of the 70s and 80s). One hugely annoying thing: a few of the scenes use strobe light effects for minutes on end. People sensitive to such things should beware.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Gold (starring Matthew McConaughey); free on TubiTV.
Loosely based on a 1990s real-life situation involving gold prospecting in Indonesia.
McConaughey is superb.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Triple 9” on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_9

Best.
Tony
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just re-watched Lost In Translation, set in Japan some time ago, starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson.

We watched it, along with a few other movies (and non-fiction, too) before our trip to Japan a couple of years ago. It's not particularly upbeat, but it does give a flavor...
And we've watched it again occasionally, after our return.
Some of it really brings back memories.
Some of it, not so much.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Red Sea Diving Resort” on Netflix. Liked it. True story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red ... ing_Resort

Tony
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cars 2, on DVD, rated G, 2011, Pixar (Disney) production, animated / comedy. A race for the world championship with a spy thriller mixed in. Very entertaining. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Infiltrator (2016)
Free on TubiTV
Bryan Cranston portraying a real-life adaptation of the investigation into cartel money laundering.
Gripping, entertaining.
texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog »

Was looking for something new and decided to watch "The Bee Gees: How can you mend a Broken Heart" on HBO Max. Directed by Frank Marshall and recently released (Dec 2020) this is a very good documentary showing their rise and how they influenced music thru the years along with the complexity of being a family band.

I'd highly recommend if you are looking for something new and fresh.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Treasure Island (1950) Robert Newton, Bobby Driscoll

After the novel by Robt. Louis Stevenson. Walt Disney’s first live action movie. I saw this on TV once maybe fifty years ago and I never forgot Robt. Newton as Long John Silver. Now upon rewatching it on Disney+ I must agree he was the best Long John. He invented “pirate talk” with this film and it’s been done that way ever since. Recommended.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Fatman

With his business in decline, Chris Cringle enters into a business relationship with the U.S. military. A subplot involves an assassin coming to get him. Mel Gibson stars as Chris Cringle. Quite a different look at Santa Claus.

Hillbilly Elegy

A Yale law student is drawn back to his Appalachian hometown and reflects on his family's history and his own future. Stars Amy Adams, Glenn Close and Gabriel Basso. Directed by Ron Howard.

Viewed on Netflix
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Christmas In Connecticut, on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1945 comedy starring Barbara Stanwyck. An unmarried food writer who has pretended to be an excellent chef and farm wife must cover her deception when her publisher compels her to entertain a war hero at her home for a traditional family Christmas. It becomes even trickier when the publisher invites himself as well.

trailer.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Let Them All Talk 2020

Starring Meryl Streep, Candice Bergen and Dianne Wiest

Only slightly formulaic as most American movies are, this is a nice change up...older women plumbing the depths of life in the later decades along with regrets and redemption? with big helpings of literary fun and beacoup wisdom too. These are veteran actors so you can expect the best performances of course.

available on HBOMax
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:24 pm “Red Sea Diving Resort” on Netflix. Liked it. True story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red ... ing_Resort

Tony
Another upvote for this one. Thanks for the reminder to add it to my list Tony, will watch again!
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Stone” on Amazon with Robert De Niro. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(2010_film)

Best.
Tony
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Pirates! Band of Misfits (original title The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!) on Netflix. This is an Aardman movie from 2012 and up to their usual high standard.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

peppers wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 am Fatman

With his business in decline, Chris Cringle enters into a business relationship with the U.S. military. A subplot involves an assassin coming to get him. Mel Gibson stars as Chris Cringle. Quite a different look at Santa Claus.
This sounds hilarious! I always wondered about the Santa Claus/NORAD connection...
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

We are enjoying the free youtube Bond movies, albeit in front of desktop.
Pale Blue Dot
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Alone In Berlin (2016). Based on a true story. A thoughtful film, sort of a soft war suspense/thriller. In the movie, the couple lost their only son in WW2 and begin a quiet resistance of leaving notes, messages and cards for Berliners to resist the Nazi's. Starring Emma Thompson.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
telemark

Post by telemark »

tooluser wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:20 pm

This sounds hilarious! I always wondered about the Santa Claus/NORAD connection...
See also Bill Plympton's Santa: the Fascist Years, currently on the Criterion Channel. It started when he invaded an unsuspecting Finland...
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

telemark wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:26 pm
tooluser wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:20 pm

See also Bill Plympton's Santa: the Fascist Years, currently on the Criterion Channel. It started when he invaded an unsuspecting Finland...
I've written that down but apparently I can't get it with my current setup. Looks fun though.
I did find "Santa Claws" (for kids) and "Santa Jaws" (which appears to be sort of a Sharknado vs Christmas).
Truly something for everyone!
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:51 am Let Them All Talk 2020

Starring Meryl Streep, Candice Bergen and Dianne Wiest

Only slightly formulaic as most American movies are, this is a nice change up...older women plumbing the depths of life in the later decades along with regrets and redemption? with big helpings of literary fun and beacoup wisdom too. These are veteran actors so you can expect the best performances of course.

available on HBOMax
Let me add that Candice Bergen's performance was incredible. It's really "her" movie for those of us who are her fans.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:44 pm JoJo Rabbit.

It's not easy making a serious movie and a funny movie at the same time, and making it work. But they succeeded.

I really liked this movie.
Just watched it. I also really liked it.
They walked a very fine line very well.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

White Christmas (1954) Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, Vera-Ellen, Dean Jagger

A successful song-and-dance team become romantically involved with a sister act and team up to save the failing Vermont inn of their former commanding general.

Pretty sappy but some good dance numbers. I always like to see Danny Kaye. Bing sings his most famous song and it snows at the end. Otherwise mostly a waste of time.

This was our Christmas movie this year, I’d never seen it. We streamed it on Netflix in front of a roaring fire.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A Wonderful Life, on Amazon Prime.

An outstanding Christmas movie starting Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.