Where to Retire?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tib

Where to Retire?

Post by Tib »

On retiring, free to move anywhere, I decided to limit consideration to places that (1) don’t have hard winters; (2) don’t have an especially high cost of living; (3) don’t have a state income tax; (4) aren’t so congested as to be stressful nor so lightly populated as to be soporific; and (5) do have enough of what is important to me, such as visual appeal and good restaurants. The only states not excluded by these criteria are Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Nevada. Hurricanes, humidity, and bugs persuaded me to eliminate wonderful-in-winter Florida. The cultures of Tennessee and Texas didn’t appeal to me. I decided on a master-planned district of Las Vegas, 15 miles from the Strip. Like it here, but not sure it will be my last stop. If you relocated, or intend to relocate, at or after retirement, for reasons other than proximity to family, to where? And why?
Keenobserver

Re: Where to Retire?

Post by Keenobserver »

Have you looked into Pheonix Az?
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I would go where I have friends.
If social life is not an issue, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, France, Costa Rica, Panama, south east Asia etc.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Tenn and Texas are large places with lots of different “cultures”, or feels if you will. I wouldn’t write them off wholesale. Memphis, Knoxville and Nashville are all different places. As are Houston, Austin and Amarillo.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
talacker

Post by talacker »

Perhaps consider total tax burden and not just income tax. Your circumstances will drive those considerations.

For example, Alabama exempts property tax for seniors. Helpful if you're planning on a big house.
talacker

Post by talacker »

https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-too ... rce=retire

Texas is actually classified as "least tax-friendly". For whatever that's worth.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

We recently moved to active adult community outside of Phoenix.

Has most everything you listed, plus huge social advantages. Every one here is a transplant, and everyone choose this place to meet new people and participate in fun activities.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

talacker wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:27 pm https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-too ... rce=retire

Texas is actually classified as "least tax-friendly". For whatever that's worth.
Oh my, very high property taxes! Thanks for the helpful tax map.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

talacker wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pm Perhaps consider total tax burden and not just income tax. Your circumstances will drive those considerations.

For example, Alabama exempts property tax for seniors. Helpful if you're planning on a big house.
Right, total tax burden. A property-tax exemption is quite a benefit. Also to be considered, though: the hassle of a state income-tax return.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

Starfish wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:09 pm I would go where I have friends.
If social life is not an issue, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, France, Costa Rica, Panama, south east Asia etc.
Yeah. Unfortunately, my only really good male friend recently died.

Speaking only English, having little aptitude for learning a foreign language, and having lived in a country where I didn't know the language, the only foreign countries I'd consider are those where English is an official language and widely spoken.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I've spent too much time over the last year pondering this question. Moving to a completely new location isn't ideal in my view since you know no one and don't have any kind of support group as you age. Might not bother some people.

More quiet places tend to be more isolated and may lack top notch medical facilities.

Cooler/moderate climate places in the summer often tend to be very cold in the winter. While I like snow, I really don't want to deal with a lot of days with temperatures 20 and below.

As to Phoenix, well I lived in Scottsdale off/on for over a decade. Right now is a bad time to move here. Due to low inventory and the virus, housing is horribly overpriced. A good 20-30% rise just since March and things weren't really cheap then.

My original plan was Scottsdale but since I've sold my house, I'm not sure. I figured my house was a bit too high maintenance with things that cost $$$ but I didn't use much (e.g., swimming pool). It is a bit tougher since my family is back east (good job market for my remaining working years) and her family is in AZ (so so market for tech).

FL is out for me due to the humidity and insects and I'm nothing close to a beach/ocean person. I also had grandparents there and except for the Disney trips as a kid, I didn't care for it. I'm not a fan of much of the SE for a variety of reasons including the weather. Much of the midwest is either too cold or too isolated (like to be within 45 minutes of a major airport if I travel again).

I'm guessing I'll go back east for a few years and possibly return to Arizona down the road. At some point AZ will have some serious water issues. Kind of like the federal debt, the issue keeps getting kicked down the road with no good solutions as the population grows. At least with my house sale I'm not tied down anywhere and can more easily relocate (especially post virus).

If I had some language skills I might consider living part time in western Europe (I really enjoy Germany). My friend is from South America while his wife is Italian and she has EU citizenship so they have a bunch of options.

Good luck.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 pm On retiring, free to move anywhere, I decided to limit consideration to places that (1) don’t have hard winters; (2) don’t have an especially high cost of living; (3) don’t have a state income tax; (4) aren’t so congested as to be stressful nor so lightly populated as to be soporific; and (5) do have enough of what is important to me, such as visual appeal and good restaurants. The only states not excluded by these criteria are Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Nevada. Hurricanes, humidity, and bugs persuaded me to eliminate wonderful-in-winter Florida.
The Florida panhandle is much less pricey than the peninsula and less crowded. It's also much less exposed to hurricanes, though bugs and humidity are definitely present.
ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:11 pm Tenn and Texas are large places with lots of different “cultures”, or feels if you will. I wouldn’t write them off wholesale. Memphis, Knoxville and Nashville are all different places. As are Houston, Austin and Amarillo.
Absolutely. Contrary to what many think, the South is one of the most diverse areas in the U.S.
The Sensible Steward
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 pm
talacker wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:27 pm https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-too ... rce=retire

Oh my, very high property taxes! Thanks for the helpful tax map.
Yep, even if you pay your mortgage off, you still have another mortgage - local taxes.
Local tax rates usually higher than mortgage interest.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

have been in FL for a few years now (not yet retired)

definitely want to retire within a half days drive of the ocean

i like Vegas okay but that 115% heat is no joke :D plus no easy access to water activities

lived in NC for many years -- they have iirc a ~5% income tax but otherwise its a nice state with a lot to offer -- COL is very reasonable in most places

------------------------------------------
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

OP, agree with above that you need to consider total taxes, especially income, property, and sales taxes.

If TN interests you, consider North or South Carolina. E.g. Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, moderate climate, beach or mountains a little over 2 hour drive on I40, lots to do with three major universities. SC, especially the coastal areas like Charleston and nice being by the beach but much more bugs and humidity, more limited activities as well.

DW and I lived in NC, SC, and FL for several years each, we plan to move back to NC on retirement next summer from a western state.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:37 pm We recently moved to active adult community outside of Phoenix.

Has most everything you listed, plus huge social advantages. Every one here is a transplant, and everyone choose this place to meet new people and participate in fun activities.
+1
Somewhere between Phoenix AZ and Flagstaff AZ.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Like, Prescott Valley...
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:37 pm We recently moved to active adult community outside of Phoenix.

Congrats on your retirement?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’ll be moving to Texas, where family is. The property tax is no joke though...... it will likely be $8-$10k per year for me.....

I wonder if retirees really overestimate the value of “no state income tax”. Personally, I’m planning to have pretty darn low taxable income after I stop working........
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

Normchad wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:09 pm I’ll be moving to Texas, where family is. The property tax is no joke though...... it will likely be $8-$10k per year for me.....

I wonder if retirees really overestimate the value of “no state income tax”. Personally, I’m planning to have pretty darn low taxable income after I stop working........
Sure, family can trump other considerations. In Texas you'll like not having the bother of a state income-tax return. I sure do.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Will do good wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Congrats on your retirement?
Not yet for me... but you can congratulate my wife... :)
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

radiowave wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:51 pm OP, agree with above that you need to consider total taxes, especially income, property, and sales taxes.

If TN interests you, consider North or South Carolina. E.g. Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, moderate climate, beach or mountains a little over 2 hour drive on I40, lots to do with three major universities. SC, especially the coastal areas like Charleston and nice being by the beach but much more bugs and humidity, more limited activities as well.

DW and I lived in NC, SC, and FL for several years each, we plan to move back to NC on retirement next summer from a western state.
NC seems very popular. Guess I've overlooked it.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

mr_brightside wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:49 pm have been in FL for a few years now (not yet retired)

i like Vegas okay but that 115% heat is no joke :D plus no easy access to water activities

lived in NC for many years -- they have iirc a ~5% income tax but otherwise its a nice state with a lot to offer -- COL is very reasonable in most places

Yes, Vegas's long, hot summers are the big drawback. The higher elevations are 5% cooler than the valley floor (where the Strip is), but 110% is still no fun. You do acclimate, though. And one thought that inclines me toward places that are often too hot over those that are often too cold: When it's too hot for comfort during the day, at least it's cooler at night. But when it's too cold for comfort during the day, it's going to be colder yet at night.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Reno NV.....
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Considering that list, have you considered Western Washington? Mild winters, no state income tax, generally lush and green. Near Portland, like Vancouver or Camas might be nice. Or Bellingham up North. Washington does have an estate tax, and lots of gray sky days.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm
mr_brightside wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:49 pm have been in FL for a few years now (not yet retired)

Yes, Vegas's long, hot summers are the big drawback. The higher elevations are 5% cooler than the valley floor (where the Strip is), but 110% is still no fun. You do acclimate, though. And one thought that inclines me toward places that are often too hot over those that are often too cold: When it's too hot for comfort during the day, at least it's cooler at night. But when it's too cold for comfort during the day, it's going to be colder yet at night.
Up to 120+ in the summer in Phoenix. . . . . but. . .it's a "dry" heat. . . :shock: :shock:

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:39 pm
radiowave wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:51 pm OP, agree with above that you need to consider total taxes, especially income, property, and sales taxes.

NC seems very popular. Guess I've overlooked it.
I moved to the west coast (best coast :D ) of Central Florida over a decade ago and actually like the weather here. Yes, June-Sept is humid, but the rest of the year is pretty great and the bugs are also gone then. The area is lively and has all the ammenities of a large metropolitan area with cultural activities, universities with affiliated hospitals and NIH designated cancer center, great food and beer scene, and basically year-round outdoor activities if you so wish. I don't think I'll move away from here. :beer
Last edited by JS-Elcano on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G12

Post by G12 »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 pm but not sure it will be my last stop. If you relocated, or intend to relocate, at or after retirement, for reasons other than proximity to family, to where? And why?
I don't know that anywhere is perfect. My wife and I had been ATL over 30 years and had grown sick of it, primarily congestion and non-stop expansion with no realistic traffic/mass trans ever brought forth for metro ATL, poor air quality in warmer months, plus I developed year round allergies and my wife wanted a dryer climate. We had been to TN and FL plenty, zero attraction for year round living, low taxes or not. We checked out ID where I had been multiple times, UT, and CO. There were pros and cons to all, my wife didn't like the political climate in ID and it had gotten much more crowded than the last time I was there. Long story short we moved to Santa Fe, NM in late October and are closing on a house 12/17, we had been here 4x at different times of the year and had always enjoyed it, low humidity, 7k feet altitude, great food, outdoor activities, etc. Very nice change of pace from ATL, and are enjoying the weather. Walked one of my dogs for 45 minutes this AM, about 28 degrees and snowing, no gloves, light down jacket. That scenario in ATL would have felt like 15 degrees and bone chilling due to humidity. New Mexico is not rated tax friendly, our RE taxes will be about 2,700 higher annually than ATL, sales tax is higher, state income tax is lower, but did I mention how much nicer the weather will be?? The new house is about $45k more than the house we sold, but that is a drop in the bucket. Good luck to you.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

btenny wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 pmReno NV.....
Yes, I do sometimes think about Reno.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

The word is definitely out about Delaware. We’re a little tax-friendly island among a jam-up of brutally tax unfriendly states as far as the eye can see. The first billboard you see after crossing over the bridge from New Jersey has read “Retire to Delaware.” for a least 5 years, now.

Sort of hope this trend doesn’t continue or I’m going to have to move to Tennessee.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 pm
Starfish wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:09 pm I would go where I have friends.
Yeah. Unfortunately, my only really good male friend recently died.

Speaking only English, having little aptitude for learning a foreign language, and having lived in a country where I didn't know the language, the only foreign countries I'd consider are those where English is an official language and widely spoken.
Panama even uses the US dollar as their currency.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

random_walker_77 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:16 pm Considering that list, have you considered Western Washington? Mild winters, no state income tax, generally lush and green. Near Portland, like Vancouver or Camas might be nice. Or Bellingham up North. Washington does have an estate tax, and lots of gray sky days.
Right, I was tempted by Vancouver WA. It does have all 5 of the desiderata I listed. It'll be on the short list if I decide to move again.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

The following forum might be helpful:

www.city-data.com/forum

PS, we live in an active adult community and are very happy.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Mr.RegPark

Post by Mr.RegPark »

I worked in central Florida for 30 years before retiring to a combination of Sarasota and Louisville, Colorado ( near Boulder). Much prefer Colorado now- sold Florida house. Florida has changed greatly for the worst over the last 30 years- unbridled growth, influx of Northeasterners, pollution (constant red tide issues), [political comment removed by admin LadyGeek]. Property tax is high as are insurance costs. Colorado has high housing costs, but relatively low state income tax 4.6%. People are great, and the weather is solid 4 seasons. No such thing as “hard winters.”
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Hawaii property taxes are dirt cheap for residents. One reason I’m looking there. Other reasons more obvious :D .
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

G12 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:49 pm
Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 pm but not sure it will be my last stop. If you relocated, or intend to relocate, at or after retirement, for reasons other than proximity to family, to where? And why?
I don't know that anywhere is perfect.
Right. Places that are otherwise perfect or nearly perfect are too expensive.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Pacific Northwest sounds like is out for you. Earthquakes, wildfires, rain and more rain. Very cold in the east part during the winter. Taxes are very high and are going up next year too. Riots in the major cities and seem not to end, crime is going up a lot also. Good luck in you quest.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I'm seriously considering to move to Las Vegas in retirement. I think, compared to Florida, Las Vegas has lower property tax and much lower home insurance.
However, I have not been in Las Vegas during the winter and not been in Florida during the summer. But, at this time, if I have my way, I'll choose Las Vegas over Florida. We also like play at casinos, but Florida also has casinos.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 pm (1) don’t have hard winters; (2) don’t have an especially high cost of living; (3) don’t have a state income tax; (4) aren’t so congested as to be stressful nor so lightly populated as to be soporific; and (5) do have enough of what is important to me, such as visual appeal and good restaurants. The only states not excluded by these criteria are Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Nevada.
Just for completeness you should also look into Georgia to see if it fits your criteria.

There is a state income tax but once you are 65 there is a retirement income tax exclusion of $65K per person($130K for a couple) and that is in addition to not taxing Social Security. I don't expect to pay any state income tax once I reach 65. (Note that per person detail. If one spouse has a large 401k and pension and the other does not have much in retirement accounts then it could be hard to use the exclusion for the person without much in retirement accounts since they would not have much taxable income in their name. )

Atlanta is big and sprawling so it may not be someplace you would want to retire but there are a number of college towns that have a lot going for them(in normal times) and some of them are only a bit more than an hour outside Atlanta so it is possible to make a day trip to Atlanta. There are also retirement communities in the North Georgia mountains and the Georgia coast has some appealing areas but they can be very expensive.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

westcoast wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:21 pm Pacific Northwest sounds like is out for you. Earthquakes, wildfires, rain and more rain. Very cold in the east part during the winter. Taxes are very high and are going up next year too. Riots in the major cities and seem not to end, crime is going up a lot also. Good luck in you quest.
None of that sounds good. Maybe I better stay put, and maybe you better move!
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:21 pm I'm seriously considering to move to Las Vegas in retirement. I think, compared to Florida, Las Vegas has lower property tax and much lower home insurance.
However, I have not been in Las Vegas during the winter and not been in Florida during the summer. But, at this time, if I have my way, I'll choose Las Vegas over Florida. We also like play at casinos, but Florida also has casinos.
Casinos are fun places even if you don't gamble. Most newcomers to Las Vegas prefer to buy in Summerlin or Henderson. Both have large, lively casinos.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:52 pm
flyingaway wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:21 pm I'm seriously considering to move to Las Vegas in retirement. I think, compared to Florida, Las Vegas has lower property tax and much lower home insurance.
Casinos are fun places even if you don't gamble. Most newcomers to Las Vegas prefer to buy in Summerlin or Henderson. Both have large, lively casinos.
Thanks. For retirees who don't care about school quality, but do care about safety, which areas are recommended?
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

plan on keeping our house in NJ and doing summer on Cape cod and rest of year back in NJ. Id like to also buy a house in NC area for winters, but wife doesnt want that much moving around.
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

Most newcomers to Las Vegas prefer to buy in Summerlin or Henderson. Both have large, lively casinos.
[/quote]
Thanks. For retirees who don't care about school quality, but do care about safety, which areas are recommended?
[/quote]

Here's a crime map of the area:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nv/las-vegas/crime

Summerlin comes out on top, especially NW Summerlin. Well, SW Vegas also shows low crime. There's lots of new construction there, with lower prices than in the older, nicer, mostly built-out N Summerlin. But currently very few nice restaurants there. No doubt that'll change. When I occasionally think of moving within the city, I consider the area bounded by Cheyenne on the north, Sahara on the south, and Rampart (or perhaps Buffalo) on the east. (And the mountains on the west.)
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 pm Speaking only English, having little aptitude for learning a foreign language, and having lived in a country where I didn't know the language, the only foreign countries I'd consider are those where English is an official language and widely spoken.
Most all of Europe speaks quite good English, or at least passable.

It's like being in LA in terms of fluency.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein | *Everything I write here is an unreliable opinion*
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 pm
Tib wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:52 pm
No place is safe. Not even Spanish Hills.

Coroner identifies intruder shot, killed by police in Spanish Hills home --- https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-new ... ills-home/

I live in a guard-gated community in Henderson. There is a lot of criminality in the Las Vegas metro area.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

California is "tax friendly"????
Don't Work Forever.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Spain and several Latin American countries make many lists as retire abroad havens. I am seriously considering that as a plan B given how poor my profession (Chemistry) is and the cost of healthcare in the US. I may not have a choice when I retire.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Yukon wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:43 pm

California is "tax friendly"????
At least they have property tax caps. States like TX IL and NJ let the local govts kill residents with property taxes. I have therefore crossed those states off the list and will be leaving IL as soon as I retire. People think 10% income tax is bad, try a 10-15k property tax bill while trying to live off 40k/yr
Topic Author
Tib

Post by Tib »

deleted