Who's keeping Netflix now? (price increased to $13.99)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
z91

Who's keeping Netflix now? (price increased to $13.99)

Post by z91 »

Last year I told myself I'd get rid of it if they increased the price again. They just sent me an email stating it's going up a buck next month to $13.99 for the 2 screen HD plan. I'm either going to downgrade to SD or get rid of it. I'm getting really tired of the subscriptions I already pay for and just want to own stuff. With kids at home I might opt into Disney+ instead. I can manage on my own with YouTube or just go back to reading books.

What's everyone else doing?
cnblure

Re: Who's keeping Netflix now? (price increased to $13.99)

Post by cnblure »

I will gladly continue to pay and subscribe. For me it's still a great deal.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Watching right now.

Cable TV is over $70 for basic channels.
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy »

I am trying to figure out how to get rid of DISH and that $145 per month. My wife might leave me if she does not have Game Show channel. :(
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I pay only $8.99 (one device at a time and no HD) and that plan did not go up. Still, I am debating how much longer I will stick with it once I go through a few more programs. Too many options available to fill my evening tv viewing time, and not as much being added that I want to watch. I may decide to go in and out of Netflix.
RJC

Post by RJC »

This is what needs to happen for FAANG stocks to keep going up up up.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

In-law's bought a 1-year sub for our daughter last year (1-device plan, we only have one tv). We are not going to keep it once runs out this weekend.

Not worth it.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Not currently a subscriber and never loyal, but I've seen all I want for now. I wait for them to salivate at my money and give them less of it, and then bing the content I want before moving on leaving them wanting. Same with Hulu, Disney+, Prime, HBO Max, SHO, CBS all access, YouTube Premium, cable TV, SiriusXM, etc. It's fine unless you live with whiny people who expect you to pay full price for no reason.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I will continue to rotate streaming services, including Netflix. Probably subscribe for 3 to 4 months of the year. Got in on a 99 cent/month for 2 months Showtime deal yesterday.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

We share a sub with sister-in-law's family. Given that up to 4 of us can watch it, cost feels reasonable.

Netflix has some good content. e.g. I've watched all the Great British Bakeoffs, The Witcher, etc. Currently watching the Crown. They are losing some of their movie library over time though.
Last edited by Da5id on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I think Netflix provides a lot of value for that price. Hulu + Live TV is the one to watch. Increasing another $10 this month. Since I have owned the price has gone from $39 to now $69. Getting close to cable and may have to decide in future.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I will keep Netflix, since I still get value from
It. That said, I am watching more and more on Amazon Prime, which is iirc less than $10 per month, and includes all the other Prime benefits. It’s also easy/convenient to subscribe to BritBox, PBS, Acorn, MHz, HBO, Showtime, etc, albeit at a price increment.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

Last edited by kimura king on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

If a buck a month makes a difference, you have bigger issues than keeping netflix or not.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I haven't had Netflix probably for 4-5 years. There's so much on it that there's nothing on it.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Starfish wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:01 pm If a buck a month makes a difference, you have bigger issues than keeping netflix or not.
It isn't about affordability, it is about value. Price increases are always a good time to evaluate subscriptions. The ones with bigger issues are those who mindlessly carry on with subscriptions that don't provide value to them.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 pm
Starfish wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:01 pm If a buck a month makes a difference, you have bigger issues than keeping netflix or not.
It isn't about affordability, it is about value. Price increases are always a good time to evaluate subscriptions. The ones with bigger issues are those who mindlessly carry on with subscriptions that don't provide value to them.
I cannot figure out how could Netflix provide value at 12$ and not at 13$. What is the formula?
The way I see it, if you pay 50$ for internet and 12-13$ for Netflix, the difference is between 62$ and 63$. For 63$ you actually use all that internet.
Between cable/ISP, cellphones, wired phone (I hear people still have them), probably >100$ in monthly fees, there must be some lower hanging fruit. And in top of that I am pretty sure there are many other places where you can cut 1$.
dougp29

Post by dougp29 »

I dumped cable and got YouTube TV for $65 a month. That, in conjunction with Netflix, gives me all I need at reasonable prices.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We have gradually cancelled all our streaming in favor of dance dance unlimited and duolingo plus.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

dougp29 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:24 pm I dumped cable and got YouTube TV for $65 a month. That, in conjunction with Netflix, gives me all I need at reasonable prices.
That's what we did too and saved a lot by not paying for channels we never watched anyway. We have Prime too but have used it less. There is a lot more junk than good stuff on Netflix, but come to think of it, that rather resembles my opinion of regular TV too. So maybe the problem is me.
PicassoSparks

Post by PicassoSparks »

I just rotate through subscriptions. When it looks like I have a good chunk of time for TV, I pick one and catch up on everything, then drop it. When I’m ready for more, I go on to the next one. In between I sometimes buy a movie here and there. I’ll probably come back to Netflix over the holidays have heard good things about some recent exclusives.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Da5id wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:28 pm We share a sub with sister-in-law's family. Given that up to 4 of us can watch it, cost feels reasonable.

Netflix has some good content. e.g. I've watched all the Great British Bakeoffs, The Witcher, etc. Currently watching the Crown. They are losing some of their movie library over time though.
The 13.99 is for 2 screens - 4 screens is 17.99.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I agree. I may be in the minority but I don't see a lot I want to watch on Netflix. Almost every time I search for a movie, it isn't there. And these aren't new movies. I'll probably drop it. It's not about the $1 increase, it's that I'm not using it much.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Starfish wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:19 pm
I cannot figure out how could Netflix provide value at 12$ and not at 13$. What is the formula?
The way I see it, if you pay 50$ for internet and 12-13$ for Netflix, the difference is between 62$ and 63$. For 63$ you actually use all that internet.
Between cable/ISP, cellphones, wired phone (I hear people still have them), probably >100$ in monthly fees, there must be some lower hanging fruit. And in top of that I am pretty sure there are many other places where you can cut 1$.
Price increases are a way to look at what you are already paying for and see if it adds value. It isn't about the delta in price, it is about whether it provides value at the old or new price and spurs action to look at value and drop it or keep it.

Personally, we don't really do subscription services, so it is a moot point, but many people do.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:37 pm
Da5id wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:28 pm We share a sub with sister-in-law's family. Given that up to 4 of us can watch it, cost feels reasonable.

The 13.99 is for 2 screens - 4 screens is 17.99.
7 of us between two families are sharing the 4 screens. Never been a problem.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fsrph wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm
I agree. I may be in the minority but I don't see a lot I want to watch on Netflix. Almost every time I search for a movie, it isn't there. And these aren't new movies. I'll probably drop it. It's not about the $1 increase, it's that I'm not using it much.

Francis
If we weren't on a family plan (parents, 2 brothers, one sister, and I collectively paying for Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Hulu+) there is no way I'd pay for Netflix. Netflix probably represents 5% of our TV viewing.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

We were non-cable until about 2008. Then we went cable and saw our bill climb and climb and CLIMB. Canceled that in 2017 and went to Fire Stick, streaming Sling and Netflix which seem like great deals compared to cable and worth it compared to airwaves via TV antenna.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Here is a better idea: get an account and share it with friends, family, neighbors.
Same could go for internet.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

No change due to increase. Content is very good and consumption remains high for our family of 6.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Queen's gambit anyone? Highly recommend it. Now on to the Crown.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Keeping it.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

It will be $17.99/month for users who want 4k and HDR content
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

fsrph wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm I agree. I may be in the minority but I don't see a lot I want to watch on Netflix. Almost every time I search for a movie, it isn't there. And these aren't new movies. I'll probably drop it. It's not about the $1 increase, it's that I'm not using it much.

Francis
+1

I’m finding that there isn’t as much new stuff that I find interesting. I previously enjoyed seeing older films from the 90’s/early 2000’s. But now, it’s kind of meh. A lot of it is foreign language shows which aren’t my thing.

Right now, the biggest benefit is for my young daughter who loves the cartoons.

Will play it by ear, I guess. Also have Disney Plus and NFL Gamepass. Still a lot cheaper than cable TV.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I'd probably pay $50/month for Netflix.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

keeping easily...
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

These threads give dangerous information to Netflix. :happy I would keep Netflix at two or three times the current price at least. I just dumped Hulu+Live when my plan went from $55> $65/mo, I was going to anyway: we watched it a small fraction of the hours per year we watch Netflix at <1/4 the price. I started Sling for $30 to keep some cable news channels, but likewise it will not be nearly the value Netflix is, just OK, overwhelming majority of 'basic' cable channels have nothing I want to watch and pretty much zero for broadcast TV (by antenna), just occasional game. My ability to sit through commercials has declined dramatically, so 'free' TV apps with commercials also have little appeal. The annoying thing about Hulu was we paid a lot and most of the stuff *still* had commercials.
Last edited by JackoC on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goos_news

Post by goos_news »

Keeping. If you are looking for old movies, I suggest one of the free streaming channels. Netflix pivoted long ago to original content, and led both the Emmys and Oscars this year in nominations. If I had to cut something, I'd trim my cable subscription of channels I no longer watch.
Last edited by goos_news on Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I'm in the crowd that finds it less and less useful. Queen's Gambit and Seinfeld are the only things I have watched lately. They lost too much content and a lot of their stuff doesn't interest me. I use Prime much more, especially since I have acorn and britbox. At the new price I would rather spend that money on hbo max if anything.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

MathWizard wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm Watching right now.

Cable TV is over $70 for basic channels.
+1
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

There’s not enough on there that I want to watch. I’ve subscribed maybe four different times and cancelled not long after each stint.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

I can’t unsubscribe....I have to many friends and family members “borrowing” Netflix, I’d never get another Christmas card!

Seriously, we share subscriptions among family, Netflix is mine to pay for. Others pay for Disney, Hulu, ESPN, which I use occasionally. It’s the best money I spend each month.
Paddygirl

Post by Paddygirl »

Think of the price of going out to ONE movie. You've already spent your money for the entire monthly fee of Netflix. I loathe commercials. I will keep my Netflix. Britbox and CBS all Access are watched by my partner.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

I remember growing up outside of Detroit in the 60's and 70's when we had the three major network channels, PBS and a few independents plus one Canadian channel...and always complaining there was nothing to watch on TV. In some aspects, even with hundred's of channels, there is still nothing to watch on TV...lol
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

augryphon wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:57 am Seriously, we share subscriptions among family, Netflix is mine to pay for. Others pay for Disney, Hulu, ESPN, which I use occasionally. It’s the best money I spend each month.
I'm surprised many others (at least on this thread) don't do this. Shared with my parents, brothers, and a sister, we all pay $12/month for access to all the streaming services. FWIW, Netflix is the one we probably watch the least, with Hulu being #1.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

During COVID, it's a better value (even at $17.99 for family of 4 with 4K streaming) than the car insurance for a car that’s driven twice a month.

However, a word of warning to Netflix: Amazon Prime is gaining on you.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Of course I'm keeping Netflix (even with the $17.99 plan). Thinking about cancelling Sling TV though.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mw1739 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:15 am Of course I'm keeping Netflix (even with the $17.99 plan). Thinking about cancelling Sling TV though.
Yeah, me too. I have great internet, but sling seems to buffer a lot and takes forever to load. It was useful during the election.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm I am trying to figure out how to get rid of DISH and that $145 per month. My wife might leave me if she does not have Game Show channel. :(
Look up the streaming service Philo. It's just $20/mo, and it has Game Shown Network. The service works well if you fit in their target audience niche of no sports and no news. It's no Youtube TV level of interface, but it works decently.

Currently I have it just for Nick Jr. for the kids. I keep thinking Youtube TV is going to add Nick Jr because they were supposed to, but Youtube TV keeps not adding that one channel my family needs...
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:20 am
mw1739 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:15 am Of course I'm keeping Netflix (even with the $17.99 plan). Thinking about cancelling Sling TV though.
Yeah, me too. I have great internet, but sling seems to buffer a lot and takes forever to load. It was useful during the election.
We only have minor technical issues with the service, but we don’t watch much actual TV anymore to justify the expense.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

It is not enough money for me to care