I switched to Xfinity Mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lazareth

I switched to Xfinity Mobile

Post by Lazareth »

My trusty iPhone 5s had been having battery issues, and being unable to use newer apps and payment cards was becoming an issue. I figured it was time. My research pointed to the iPhone SE 2020 as a nice choice so I called Verizon Wireless. I wanted to talk to a human salesperson because they would certainly offer a deal better than the online $400 retail price or at least waive the $40 upgrade fee… surely something to keep a 20-year customer. But no, bottom line, $400 is the price I would pay ($24.99 for 24 months) and yes I will pay the $40 upgrade fee.

So, today I successfully switched my longtime Verizon number to XfinityMobile and received my new iPhone SE 2020! Price: $150. That’s the $400 retail price minus XfinityMobile's $250 credit for switching a number over. And no $40 upgrade charge. That's a $290 savings! Even better is the $15 per month cost for one line, albeit with only 1 GB of data. I am always on Wi-Fi so we will see if I stay within that data level. I think I will. I did have to pay sales tax on the full $400 retail price.

Ordering online through my xfinity wifi account, and today's new-device start-up, were easy. I followed the instructions, and my settings, pictures, contacts, calendar, reminders, alarms, and messages transferred easily from the old 5s to the new SE iPhone. Switching my old number to Xfinity was just as easy and I did it at the kitchen table today.
Last edited by Lazareth on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
DVA79

Re: I switched to Xfinity Mobile

Post by DVA79 »

Nice. Switched to xfinity mobile in the spring. Went from $140 a month with ATT to $53 a month. And that’s with 2 lines and 2 new iPhone 11s they gave me a $400 credit on. Once phones are paid off, bill goes to $12/mo for 1 GB data, no line fees. Not much, but like you we are always on WiFi so usually use about 1/2 that amount.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (Xfinity).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

Have had xfinity mobile for 2+ years now without issue. My bill varies between $16 and $26/month (1-2GB).

Only gotcha is you have to keep either xfinity tv or internet service to remain eligible.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

SCb&b wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm Have had xfinity mobile for 2+ years now without issue. My bill varies between $16 and $26/month (1-2GB).

Only gotcha is you have to keep either xfinity tv or internet service to remain eligible.
you would be better off with the 3gb mint mobile plan for $15 (and some taxes) or the 8gb plan for $20...

then you can threaten/negotiate your internet service easier.

they know when they hvae your cell phone, that they have you by the 8@!!$, from a negotiation perspective.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 pm
SCb&b wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm Have had xfinity mobile for 2+ years now without issue. My bill varies between $16 and $26/month (1-2GB).

you would be better off with the 3gb mint mobile plan for $15 (and some taxes) or the 8gb plan for $20...

they know when they hvae your cell phone, that they have you by the 8@!!$, from a negotiation perspective.
Thanks - I'll definitely look into that.

Honestly, Xfinity has no clue what's going on. Maybe they'll get it together one day but I'm able to negotiate my internet bill with them each year without issue.
Soon2BXProgrammer

SCb&b wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Honestly, Xfinity has no clue what's going on. Maybe they'll get it together one day but I'm able to negotiate my internet bill with them each year without issue.
Interesting. A buddy of mine said they wouldn't lower his internet price once he got a cell phone.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Topic Author
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

DVA79 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 pm Nice. Switched to xfinity mobile in the spring. Went from $140 a month with ATT to $53 a month. And that’s with 2 lines and 2 new iPhone 11s they gave me a $400 credit on. Once phones are paid off, bill goes to $12/mo for 1 GB data, no line fees. Not much, but like you we are always on WiFi so usually use about 1/2 that amount.
:thumbsup Thanks for sharing, good to hear you are happy with the move.
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I made this switch in February of 2019 and am mostly satisfied. No major complaints or problems yet. Good luck!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Yep, that's exactly why Comcast offers Xfinity Mobile. You can actually pay a surcharge to keep Xfinity Mobile even after dropping internet, but it's enough ($20/mo IIRC) to deter most.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Yep, that's exactly why Comcast offers Xfinity Mobile. You can actually pay a surcharge to keep Xfinity Mobile even after dropping internet, but it's enough ($20/mo IIRC) to deter most.
Looking at Xfinity Mobile vs Visible. Both are Verizon MVNO’s. If you stay with XM for two years, you get a full $250 rebate against a new phone purchased at the beginning of that period. Compare to $100 rebate from Visible for a 2 month commitment. Visible’s only monthly plan is $40 (unlimited). XM is much less ($15/monthly for 1GB, assuming you have Xfinity internet). Seems XM is the winner unless you need a ton of data. Thoughts?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

marcwd wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Looking at Xfinity Mobile vs Visible. Both are Verizon MVNO’s. If you stay with XM for two years, you get a full $250 rebate against a new phone purchased at the beginning of that period. Compare to $100 rebate from Visible for a 2 month commitment. Visible’s only monthly plan is $40 (unlimited). XM is much less ($15/monthly for 1GB, assuming you have Xfinity internet). Seems XM is the winner unless you need a ton of data. Thoughts?
To me Visible is a lot better:

- Not tied to Xfinity internet service; freedom to switch ISPs
- Join "Party Pay" to cut cost to $25/mo. This can be with total strangers - everyone's still responsible for their own bill.
- That price is for unlimited data, which quickly gets expensive with XM. 1GB isn't much these days.
- Phone is unlocked from the start with Visible, locked with XM
- Visible is owned by Verizon (I wonder if this might mean less de-prioritization than other MVNOs, but I don't know)
marc in merrimack

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm

- Join "Party Pay" to cut cost to $25/mo. This can be with total strangers - everyone's still responsible for their own bill.
- That price is for unlimited data, which quickly gets expensive with XM. 1GB isn't much these days.
- Visible is owned by Verizon (I wonder if this might mean less de-prioritization than other MVNOs, but I don't know)
Agree about the first point. Hate the tie to Xfinity.

I don’t know what Party Pay is, but likely wouldn’t want any involvement with it.

I’ve never used as much as 1GB in a month. Probably typically half that. $40 for “unlimited” is a waste for me.

No, I don’t believe XM phone is locked. The remaining credit is simply forfeited.

Heard - but not certain - that XM gets better than typical MVNO prioritization.

Frankly, I likely won’t choose either Visible or XM. I really like Tracfone’s rollover model for data (and minutes). Has served me well for years. Only downside has been the absence of VoLTE on Verizon network, but I think everything switches over (from 3G) early next year.
Jain82

Post by Jain82 »

I used Xfinity Mobile for few months. I had to change as Comcast raised internet prices by $20 per month. I am using Redpocket on Verizon network. I paid $220 for one year with unlimited talk, text and 8 GB LTE data per month. Very happy with the service till now.
Godot

Post by Godot »

SCb&b wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Ditto. I have been reluctant to switch to Xfinity mobile, because of their monopoly in my city. I also negotiate internet with them every year (sometimes every six months), and it's been exhausting (20 years!). Their customer service sales people lie easily and frequently, and it's difficult to understand them at times. These's a reason why they are a widely loathed company.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
02nz

Post by 02nz »

marcwd wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:02 pm

I don’t know what Party Pay is, but likely wouldn’t want any involvement with it.

I’ve never used as much as 1GB in a month. Probably typically half that. $40 for “unlimited” is a waste for me.

No, I don’t believe XM phone is locked. The remaining credit is simply forfeited.

Frankly, I likely won’t choose either Visible or XM. I really like Tracfone’s rollover model for data (and minutes). Has served me well for years. Only downside has been the absence of VoLTE on Verizon network, but I think everything switches over (from 3G) early next year.
Party Pay is a family plan without the family plan hassles. Google it.

XM iPhone will be locked (at least my iPhone 11 came locked and I had to fulfill certain requirements to get it unlocked).
marc in merrimack

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 pm
marcwd wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Party Pay is a family plan without the family plan hassles. Google it.

XM iPhone will be locked (at least my iPhone 11 came locked and I had to fulfill certain requirements to get it unlocked).
Indeed, you’re right. XM iPhones are locked. A big strike against them.
But google it I did - Visible’s Party Pay is not for me.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Big fan of xfinity mobile. Few months in and paying $17/mo vs $55/month with Verizon with zero service interruption.

Cheese
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

For all of us who have a choice between Xfinity or Nothing
for high speed internet, there is no negotiation for internet alone regardless of phone provider.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

1 GB of data/month? That's a time warp back to 2005. I could blow through that in a day, even with public wifi available, which is usually slow and unsecure. Glad you're happy with it, I wouldn't be.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Soon2BXProgrammer

Katietsu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:06 pm

For all of us who have a choice between Xfinity or Nothing
for high speed internet, there is no negotiation for internet alone regardless of phone provider.
This is not correct. I only have the choice of Comcrust(Xfinity) or nothing. I have not paid full price in 13 years.

I call and ask for the intro special. Sometimes its harder then others to get it. but they always fold.

this is the only bill i negotiate because they are evil. (I don't negotiate power/water/gas/garbage/etc)
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

It's hard to beat xfinity mobile. For multiple lines our bill is $17/mo. including tax. Unlimited talk and text. We haven't had a problem staying under 1 gb/mo. over the past 22 months. Wifi is everywhere.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

eye.surgeon wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:10 am 1 GB of data/month? That's a time warp back to 2005. I could blow through that in a day, even with public wifi available, which is usually slow and unsecure. Glad you're happy with it, I wouldn't be.
Haha. In 2020, unless you stream audio during your commute or do not have good WiFi at work, what and where are you using data? I would so low data plans are very 2020, not so much 2019 though.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

Xfinity Mobile has been great for us, saving us a ton vs. what we paid with Verizon. We only use 2 gb per month. Even as existing customers, my wife and I each got $250 off our new phones via a prepaid debit card.