What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bighatnohorse

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by bighatnohorse »

"Range" by David Epstein (very good)
"Factfulness" by Hans Rosling (good)
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Waiter by Matias Faldbakken

The musings of a classical waiter at a high-end European
restaurant. Setting is in Norway but could have just as
easily been New York, London, or Paris. Interesting and
witty to a degree but some parts become rambling and
abstract as he tries to "psychoanalyze" various patrons
and fellow employees. I give it a B.
A couple of good quotes:
"He is too decent, too tasteful, too refined to fiddle with
his phone at all times."
"This is a European restaurant not a beauty salon. You come
presentable, you leave presentable."
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Finished "Darkness Sing me a Song" by David Housewright.

Housewright is rapidly becoming one of my favorite mystery writers. This book features his Holland Taylor charactor.

Good news is he is an excellent writer...bad news is I am just about caught up on all of his books.

Ed
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Cherry - A Life of Apsley Cherry-Garard - Sara Wheeler

Fascinating biography of Cherry, survivor of the Scott polar expedition in the 1910's, and the author of "The Worst Journey in the World". Cherry came from a landed, wealthy family - but seemed bored/directionless with his country squire life. Motivated by a desire for adventure and exploration he kind of managed to buy his way into the Scott Terra Nova expedition. The tragedy and suffering he endured in the Antarctic had a devastating impact on the rest of his life - both physically and emotionally.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Assassination Vacation (2005)--nonfiction--by Sarah Vowell. It's really very good. The premise is a road trip on which she visits sites connected with the assassinations of presidents Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, and William McKinley. There are a lot of facts in there, and a lot of wry and snarky observations about the places she visited. It is irreverent, to say the least; and opinionated, to say the least.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
RYD

Post by RYD »

If you have an interest in assignations read the non-fiction book Accidental Presidents by Jared Cohen. It is the story of the 8 times the VP assumes the presidency. All are great stories. A good read a very well written book

John
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

"The Power of the Dog" by Thomas Savage:

https://smile.amazon.com/Power-Dog-Nove ... 249&sr=8-2

This book was written in 1967 and I just got around to reading it. Damn, rarely does a book leave a lingering impact on me like this one did. The characters, story line and feel of the era are so well done.

I'm going to read "This House of Sky" by Ivan Doig next who's another author I've neglected reading. This is one of my mom's favorite books (reminds her so much of her youth).

https://smile.amazon.com/This-House-Sky ... 242&sr=8-2
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Magnificent Ambersons, by Booth Tarkington.

The decline and fall of a wealthy family in middle America. Little Georgie eventually does get his comeuppance. I liked it better than I expected to after the first 50 pages, although the end seemed a bit contrived.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Knots and Crosses - #1 of the Inspector Rebus series - Ian Rankin

Not sure why I had this book - I tend to take recommendations from this thread and other sources, enter in my online wish-list, then buy a bunch of books at a time. At any rate, I liked this book, maybe a bit rough around the corners but not bad for a debut novel. Inspector Rebus is not particularly a likeable guy - but you kind of feel some sympathy for him. The focus in this book did appears to be more setup than the actual mystery however; the mystery felt secondary to the melodrama around the characters. I'll give the new few Rebus books a try to see if the series matures and maintains my interest.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 pm Knots and Crosses - #1 of the Inspector Rebus series - Ian Rankin

Not sure why I had this book - I tend to take recommendations from this thread and other sources, enter in my online wish-list, then buy a bunch of books at a time. At any rate, I liked this book, maybe a bit rough around the corners but not bad for a debut novel. Inspector Rebus is not particularly a likeable guy - but you kind of feel some sympathy for him. The focus in this book did appears to be more setup than the actual mystery however; the mystery felt secondary to the melodrama around the characters. I'll give the new few Rebus books a try to see if the series matures and maintains my interest.
I've enjoyed the Rebus series. I tend to go to the books between other reads and am well into the series at this point.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Dark and Bloody River, by Allan W. Eckert.

This is a very readable history of settlement and border warfare in the Ohio River Valley, from about 1768 to about 1800. That was a tough time and place it to live.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Two books:
"A Cold Day in Paradise" by Steve Hamilton. Mystery set in Paradise, Michigan (an actual town) just west of Soo, Mi. on Lake Superior. The first in a series, featuring Alex McKnight a former Detroit cop on disability (shot with a bullet still lodged next to his heart). Small town vibe, big time writing. I will be back for more. Nice to have an author with a series which is new (to me).

"Three Ring Circus" by Jeff Pearlman. Back in early part of this century the Lakers had Shaq, Kobe, and Phil. They also won 3 consecutive NBA titles. The author digs deeply into that era to provide the backdrop of what it was like in Tinseltown covering the Lakers up to their defeat by the Pistons (no one saw that one coming except the Pistons) and the Kobe Bryant rape legal situation in Colorado.

The takeaway is there were 3 enormous egos with not enough oxygen for all three...how did they survive together as long as they did. BTW Phil Jackson gave the author 8 hours of time...so this wasnt a hatchet job on Phil. Shaq gave the author time...so it wasnt a hatchet job on him. That leaves one person who is not portrayed in very good light. Reading the book one understands the attitude others had to Bryant...and wonders why there was so much love upon his tragic death. Perhaps he mellowed, perhaps he changed, perhaps it was time to accept and move on.

This book is very well researched and features a number of "charactors" and lesser known NBA types whom one feels they get to know pretty well.

I do not enjoy sports nearly as much as I once did, but have always enjoyed en depth behind the scenes books about sports, business, legal battles, etc. This one combines the three with emphasis on sports...obviously.

Well written.

Ed
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

Billion Dollar Loser by Reeves Wiedeman, about WeWork and its co-founder Adam Neumann. Like watching a car wreck, it’s hard to put down. Might inspire even a Boglehead to move everything to cash.
book lover

Post by book lover »

" In The Steps of Jesus" and " In The Steps of Saint Paul" both by Peter Walker. I am using the books to guide my YouTube watching for key locations where they walked and lived.
Last edited by book lover on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 pm Knots and Crosses - #1 of the Inspector Rebus series - Ian Rankin

I just read the 6th book in the Rebus series, "Mortal Causes". The Rebus books get better and better as the series progresses. I agree the first one is rough around the edges. I have found that with other series too, Spenser series by Parker, Dave Robichaeaux series by James Lee Burke, that the first 1-3 books, the author is getting his bearings and then before you know it he has found his footing and the books are great.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Just finished "A Promised Land". I first started reading it but switched to Audible because it is even better read by the author...although it is 29 hours long.

The measured tone and careful explanation of the inner workings during those years answers many questions.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Bad Debts by Peter Temple, the first of his Jack Irish series. Set in Melbourne. He's got several professions: ex Aussie soldier in Vietnam, no longer practicing lawyer, aspiring cabinet maker, reformed sot, horse bettor, and others. Basically it's a crime novel. He writes well, if in a decidedly Australian english usage. His scenes are good.

I'll read another. He died in 2018.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Matthew Hughes, What the Wind Brings

If it ever crosses your mind to look up the Esmeraldas region of Equador, you will find reference to Afro-Equadorian culture but only the briefest description of how it came to exist. This is a fictionalized account of the incident that started it, when a ship carrying slaves was wrecked at the mouth of the Esmeraldas River. A fascinating treatment of a fascinating story that explains, among other things, how it is that the Esmeraldas region has no emeralds.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just started Jack Bogle “Common Sense on Mutual Funds - 10th Anniversary edition”.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

"Japanese Destroyer Captain"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW ... UTF8&psc=1

I've read many books on the naval war in the Pacific. They are all from the American point of view and tend to focus on the grand sweep of things. This book is neither. The POV is Japanese, by a destroyer captain, and contains many small details that you won't find elsewhere. The author is unsparing of Japanese high command blunders, and also self-critical. He also gives praise to both the Japanese and the Americans where he thinks they deserve it.

It is a cross between an "in the trenches" POV and one captain's overall view of the war. Very interesting if you are interested in this subject area.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:04 am Just finished "A Promised Land". I first started reading it but switched to Audible because it is even better read by the author...although it is 29 hours long.

The measured tone and careful explanation of the inner workings during those years answers many questions.
I think I'll pick up the Audible version as well. I bought Dreams From My Father a while back from Audible as a daily deal and enjoyed it. My wife is reading the print edition of A Promised Land right now.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster, by Adam Higginbotham.

A page turner, and some of the best horror writing that I’ve read. I can’t put it down. But reading it is causing my subconscious to conflate radiation sickness and COVID, and creating some really interesting dreams at night. It would probably be better if I could put it down.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

"Epidemics and Society" by Frank Snowden...heartwarming. A lighthearted romp through bubonic plague, cholera, TB, etc. Great for the holiday season. NOT.

Seriously, it's worth reading to see how disgusting and dangerous these diseases really are.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:09 am Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster, by Adam Higginbotham.

A page turner, and some of the best horror writing that I’ve read. I can’t put it down. But reading it is causing my subconscious to conflate radiation sickness and COVID, and creating some really interesting dreams at night. It would probably be better if I could put it down.
It get great reviews on Amazon and has won multiple prizes. I could only get through about half of it. It is so EXTREMELY detailed on every single facet of what happened that I just found it to be overwhelming and fairly repetitious (it's 561 pages!) ... but as I said, my experience goes against the almost universal acclaim.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Bury Your Past, by J. M. Dalgliesh.

The body of a young woman is found buried on a beach in Norfolk, England.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

A Gentleman in Moscow.
Baconquest

Post by Baconquest »

This Thanksgiving break, I read Unworthy Republic, followed by Deaths of Despair. No wonder I'm in a funk now. I need something light and fun to read next.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

1) American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, by Colin Woodard. Fascinating. It is one of those books where you hear the click! of puzzle pieces fitting into place as you read. A good deal of the factual material is new to me. A good deal is facts I already knew, but had not seen the obvious pattern in.

2) Rogue Herries, by Hugh Walpole. A 1930 novel, available at no cost from Project Gutenberg Australia. This is the second part of my follow-up after reading W. Somerset Maugham's Cakes and Ale. The character Alroy Kear in Maugham's novel was ultimately acknowledged by Maugham to have been "inspired" by Walpole. The character Edward Driffield is widely assumed to resemble Thomas Hardy, but Maugham never acknowledged it.

So I read Thomas Hardy's Two on a Tower, which is a real stinker. However, it was fascinating to me for non-literary reasons--it is a picture of serious amateur astronomy in the late 1800s. And then I decided to read something by Hugh Walpole. With 18% read, it seems pretty readable, though I can't predict yet whether I'm really going to finish it. Walpole was one of those literary figures who was regarded as a novelist of the first rank during his lifetime, but almost completely faded from view after his death.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
William4589

Post by William4589 »

PANZER Commander

The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck with an introduction by Stephen E. Ambrose

It's an interesting take on WWII from a German Colonel's viewpoint.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." - Jack Kornfield
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

How The Light Gets In, by Louise Penny.

I can't describe the book without giving the plot away. This detective story resolves some of the ongoing mysteries from earlier books in the series. I recommend this book.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

rockstar wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:31 pm A Gentleman in Moscow.
Excellent book. One of the best books I read this year.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

sandburg wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:38 am I'm finally getting around to reading the "Pacific Crucible" by Ian Toll.
Excellent book.

You probably know this, but it's book one in a trilogy. Book two is 'The Conquering Tide' (also good). The third book, 'Twilight of the Gods', recently came out after a looong delay.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Horologium wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:15 pm
sandburg wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:38 am I'm finally getting around to reading the "Pacific Crucible" by Ian Toll.
Excellent book.

You probably know this, but it's book one in a trilogy. Book two is 'The Conquering Tide' (also good). The third book, 'Twilight of the Gods', recently came out after a looong delay.
All three are excellent books, I recommend them.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:11 pm 1) American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, by Colin Woodard. Fascinating. It is one of those books where you hear the click! of puzzle pieces fitting into place as you read. A good deal of the factual material is new to me. A good deal is facts I already knew, but had not seen the obvious pattern in.
Fascinated by your recommendation, I looked for it on Amazon. Do you agree with the other reviewers that the first two-thirds of the book are factual and the last third show bias?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

My Mistake by Daniel Menaker (2013)

This is an autobiographical work about the author’s youth and later career as a long-time editor at New Yorker magazine and later at Random House. The author just died last month. I was attracted to the book because in it he describes the life-long guilt he was plagued with over his belief that he’d inadvertently caused his elder brother’s death as he was coming of age, and how he dealt with it, or tried to deal with it. The first part of the book about the author’s youth was of more interest to me than that of his career.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (2017)

This is the true story of a man who at the age of 20 retreated to the woods of Maine, hiding out in a tent for 27 years, living an absolutely solitary life avoiding all human contact. He survived by burglarizing unoccupied cabins and a summer camp, by night, over and over, hundreds of times, taking only what he needed. At the end everything he possessed, except for his glasses, was stolen. His career only ended when he was caught in the act. It’s an interesting psychological profile of a strange character who couldn’t deal with normal life as we know it. I enjoyed this book.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Two going now.

The Big Burn, by Timothy Egan
The Crowded Grave, by Martin Walker
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 am
nisiprius wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:11 pm 1) American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, by Colin Woodard. Fascinating. It is one of those books where you hear the click! of puzzle pieces fitting into place as you read. A good deal of the factual material is new to me. A good deal is facts I already knew, but had not seen the obvious pattern in.
Fascinated by your recommendation, I looked for it on Amazon. Do you agree with the other reviewers that the first two-thirds of the book are factual and the last third show bias?
You might also be interested in Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America / by David H. Fischer (1989). I believe these two books deal with similar themes of cultural origins and history of the US. with Fischer's analysis and writing deeper but limited to British derived cultural attributes. (Albion was apparently the earliest known name for what became the British isles - I didn't know that). Don't be intimidated by the 900 page length. I read the whole thing this summer skipping over tables, charts, footnotes and had difficulty putting it down. For one thing it is written almost like an encyclopedia with well defined subsections and short summary statements at the end of subsections. Thus if you don't want to read the whole thing you can skim for cross comparisons (example - dress, sport or family naming practices in each of the 4 major cultures. The author makes some really provocative statements such that there is more truth to the cultural stereotypes than many scholars acknowledge; recent revisionist history often misses relevant patterns; and slavery did not make the southern culture possible - the southern culture made slavery possible.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

"War and Peace" (for the first time).
I'm really enjoying it so far, but I love 19th c fiction.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 pm
mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 am
You might also be interested in Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America / by David H. Fischer (1989). I believe these two books deal with similar themes of cultural origins and history of the US. with Fischer's analysis and writing deeper but limited to British derived cultural attributes. (Albion was apparently the earliest known name for what became the British isles - I didn't know that). Don't be intimidated by the 900 page length. I read the whole thing this summer skipping over tables, charts, footnotes and had difficulty putting it down. For one thing it is written almost like an encyclopedia with well defined subsections and short summary statements at the end of subsections. Thus if you don't want to read the whole thing you can skim for cross comparisons (example - dress, sport or family naming practices in each of the 4 major cultures. The author makes some really provocative statements such that there is more truth to the cultural stereotypes than many scholars acknowledge; recent revisionist history often misses relevant patterns; and slavery did not make the southern culture possible - the southern culture made slavery possible.
Albion's Seed Four British Folkways in America is an excellent suggestion. I thought it was better than the Wooward book.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

chuckb84 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:57 pm "Japanese Destroyer Captain"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW ... UTF8&psc=1

I've read many books on the naval war in the Pacific. They are all from the American point of view and tend to focus on the grand sweep of things. This book is neither. The POV is Japanese, by a destroyer captain, and contains many small details that you won't find elsewhere. The author is unsparing of Japanese high command blunders, and also self-critical. He also gives praise to both the Japanese and the Americans where he thinks they deserve it.

It is a cross between an "in the trenches" POV and one captain's overall view of the war. Very interesting if you are interested in this subject area.
On your recommendation, I read this book. Your review is spot on.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Promised land by Obama. 700 pages, nobody need to say anything for 700 pages. Easy reading though, he is a great story teller. Really enjoying it so far.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Yesterday I was looking at available eBooks on Libby. One available book was Young Donald by Michael Bennett. Never heard of it before then, but I grabbed it.

What a lucky find. It's a satire and an imagining of military high school for the Young Donald of the title. I don't think he's given a last name in the book? It's set in NJ so far but may travel. It has references to his father, New York locations and businesses that suggest a family name. I'm a quarter into it. So far its mainly boarding school stuff with other stuff mixed in: Hong Kong triads, a tragic accident. Well written characters.

Think Carl Hiaasen type writing.

I think it's Bennett's first novel. Perhaps he has another book coming? Young Barrack?
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:28 am The Magnificent Ambersons, by Booth Tarkington.

The decline and fall of a wealthy family in middle America. Little Georgie eventually does get his comeuppance. I liked it better than I expected to after the first 50 pages, although the end seemed a bit contrived.
Movie is good as well.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished John Virden's "Let the Devil Sleep" the third in the Dave Gurney series. Very good.

Now reading "Observing and Measuring Visual Double Stars" by R.W. Argyle (editor) an astronomy book on the fascinating subject of binary stars (doubles). Astronomy is one of my hobbies and seeking out, observing, and sketching doubles is a sub category of that hobby.

Pretty nerdy book, but I am learning quite a bit.

Ed
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just started “Common Sense on Mutual Funds - 10th Anniversary” by Jack Bogle.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Kill Our Sins, by J. M. Dalgliesh.

A mystery surrounds a home for troubled children, shuttered decades ago.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Indian Creek Chronicles:A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm.

I read this book when it first came out around 2003, rereading it now on Kindle.

Really good (and humorous) book about the authors 7 months spent in the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness watching a channel with salmon eggs. He was a naive 19 yo with romantic notions about being a "mountain man".

https://smile.amazon.com/Indian-Creek-C ... 270&sr=8-1
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

MrBobcat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 pm Indian Creek Chronicles:A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm.

I read this book when it first came out around 2003, rereading it now on Kindle.

Really good (and humorous) book about the authors 7 months spent in the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness watching a channel with salmon eggs. He was a naive 19 yo with romantic notions about being a "mountain man".

https://smile.amazon.com/Indian-Creek-C ... 270&sr=8-1
Indian Creek is on my want to re-read list too. Might want to check out Fire Season: field notes from a wilderness lookout / by Philip Connors. Also for something different on SB area The Lochsa Story by Bud Moore. Can't remember much about this one but Moore was logger and or forest service figure well respected by both the industry & conservation groups.