Do we need to set aside cash for an emergency fund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
goshenBogle

Do we need to set aside cash for an emergency fund?

Post by goshenBogle »

We are retired, early 70's. Have a $5 million portfolio - 40% stock / 60% bond, all in mutual funds. We meet yearly expenses with social security + approximately $30,000 from the portfolio. Given the size of our portfolio and how little we take out each year, what should our strategy be for an emergency cash fund? Do we even need an emergency cash fund, perhaps in an online savings account, or if we need extra cash, just sell bonds or stock from the portfolio?
Appreciate folks thoughts on this. Thank you.
Retired and loving it!!!!
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Do we need to set aside cash for an emergency fund?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

goshenBogle wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:15 pm We are retired, early 70's. Have a $5 million portfolio - 40% stock / 60% bond, all in mutual funds. We meet yearly expenses with social security + approximately $30,000 from the portfolio. Given the size of our portfolio and how little we take out each year, what should our strategy be for an emergency cash fund? Do we even need an emergency cash fund, perhaps in an online savings account, or if we need extra cash, just sell bonds or stock from the portfolio?
your withdrawal rate overall is 0.6%.

if stocks went down and you want to draw the $30,000 from bonds that would represent 1% per year from your bond portfolio.

wouldn't your bonds last 100 years if you're taking out 1% per year and assuming no growth on bonds over 100 years?

think you're good with $3 million in bonds and in need of $30,000 a year.

money isn't your problem.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
sport

Post by sport »

Do you have RMDs?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

goshenBogle wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:15 pm We are retired, early 70's. Have a $5 million portfolio - 40% stock / 60% bond, all in mutual funds. We meet yearly expenses with social security + approximately $30,000 from the portfolio. Given the size of our portfolio and how little we take out each year, what should our strategy be for an emergency cash fund? Do we even need an emergency cash fund, perhaps in an online savings account, or if we need extra cash, just sell bonds or stock from the portfolio?
Given your $5 million I say you don't need an emergency fund, assuming you have no unusual expenses or obligations (like a $5 million mortgage). Seems like even if you had a $1 million emergency you would still be OK, money-wise. In this sense you already have a $1 million (plus) emergency fund. It's just not in cash but it is pretty liquid.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

As long as you are willing to sell part of your portfolio in the event of an emergency need, no matter what the market conditions, nobody ever needs an emergency fund.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sport wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm Do you have RMDs?
RMDs can simply be reinvested although there may be a hefty tax bill. If so I think it would already be included in his "how little we take out each year."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Given the numbers you provided, I am wondering why you're asking the question. What is the problem you're trying to solve?
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I subscribe to Warren Buffett's philosophy: Have enough in short-term bonds so you don't half to sell stocks in a down market.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

At 70 why even have 40% in stocks with such a low withdrawal rate? Are you looking to maximize inheritance? (Not criticizing... trying to learn).
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

You do not need an Emergency Fund.

I'd just keep $30k in my checking account at all times.

You could buy a new car every 3 months and be just fine. Congrats!
bligh

Post by bligh »

OP, given your numbers and how most of all of your expenses are met by social security anyway, and emergency fund hardly makes any sense. Having said that, keeping even a 2 year emergency fund @60k has very little impact on your portfolio size and performance anyway, so the cost of your emergency fund is negligible as well. After all, $5 mil - $60k is still basically $5mil.

If I were you I would pull out $60k in cash to cover 2 years of expenses and call it my emergency fund. It won’t make any real difference either way.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Ok, let me take a shot at this...
Assuming you are comfortable with a 40/60 asset allocation, typically people will draw from their portfolio and rebalance in one action. If stocks are higher than 40, draw from stocks. If bonds are higher than 60 draw from bonds.
However, any kind of short term fund would give you the option to not draw from either stocks or bonds if there was some intelligent reason to not do so. You may have risk assets and non-risk assets. When the risk assets are having a terrible time, maybe it would be better to leave them alone and let time heal the wounds. Then start drawing from them again.

This is just general advice as to why "somebody" might consider holding short term, less-risky assets. It could be a buffer.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
sport

Post by sport »

bertilak wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:36 pm
sport wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm Do you have RMDs?
RMDs can simply be reinvested although there may be a hefty tax bill. If so I think it would already be included in his "how little we take out each year."
It just seems like 30K is a small amount for a portfolio of 5MM. It is certainly possible that OP has little or no money in IRAs etc. However, I made the comment to make sure that they are not ignoring larger RMDs that may apply.
firedup

Post by firedup »

To me, your bonds are your emergency fund. And you are well covered there...
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou