What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jebmke »

finished Masked Prey (Sandford) now on Black Diamond (Walker - the Bruno Chief of Police series) and Bridge of Spies (Wittell).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:35 am
protagonist wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:40 am
Wings5 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 pm
protagonist wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson....his account of hiking the Appalachian Trail.
I recommend it. Good fun.
I recently gifted a copy of his other book, One Summer, to a friend. It’s an entertaining account of the summer of 1927 in America. Many of his books are enjoyable reads.
Thanks for the recommendation. What are your other favorite Bryson books? I have only read two...Walk in the Woods and History of Nearly Everything.

Currently I am reading Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. Though I have really enjoyed most Vonnegut books I have read, I have mixed feelings about this one.
Just to intrude... my favorite Bryson book is "A Sunburned Country" - an account of his travels through Australia. I think it's his funniest book also.
Thanks for intruding! He does have a good sense of humor, and Australia seems like a good topic that would be conducive to his humor. I'll check it out.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"Out of Range" by C. J. Box, the 5th in the Joe Pickett series. Each book is more enjoyable than the pervious one.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Come on Ashore and We Will Kill You and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story - Christina Thompson

I had mixed feelings about this book. It basically has two interlacing stories: one is a historical account of the Maori's first contacts with Europeans. I found this part fascinating. The other part is an account of her marriage and her life with her Maori husband. She has a PhD, he ended his schooling at 15 years of age. She is into intellectual pursuits, while he prefers watching Monster Truck Rallies. However, it seems to work as they are apparently still married with 3 sons. I found her attitude to be a bit self-absorbed and condescending at times during this latter part. Still, a somewhat interesting read overall.

Binge-reading a few Bosch books: The Black Box, The Burning Room, and The Crossing.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Have any of you read Carlos Luiz Zafon's latest novel, "The Labyrinth of Spirits" ?

A long time ago I read his "Shadow of the Wind", and I loved it. It was what The DaVinci Code should have been if the DaVinci Code was a lot better than it was.

Anywow, I read a review of Labyrinth of Spirits that suggested that it is even better than Shadow of the Wind, and then I saw this bit of clickbait: https://www.bookscrolling.com/ranking-a ... countdown/

I'm kind of bored with the book I am currently reading (Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, despite that I generally really like Vonnegut's books). So I am thinking of giving Labyrinth a try. If you read it I would be interested in hearing your impressions.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Just read Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy again after about 11-12 years since the first read. More darkly hilarious than I remember.
Also, I read it on the Libby app as I had borrowed it electronically from the library. Still like the ole' paper books.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I really liked Bill Bryson's At Home. Also, although it doesn't seem to be well known, I loved Shakespeare: The World as Stage. I'll read almost anything of his.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:03 pm I really liked Bill Bryson's At Home. Also, although it doesn't seem to be well known, I loved Shakespeare: The World as Stage. I'll read almost anything of his.
I also liked At Home.

I especially enjoyed A Short History of Nearly Everything.

He gives life to stories about history (and science) in the same way as David McCullough.

Also, both are exceptional speakers and narrators.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

protagonist wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:18 pm Have any of you read Carlos Luiz Zafon's latest novel, "The Labyrinth of Spirits" ?

A long time ago I read his "Shadow of the Wind", and I loved it. It was what The DaVinci Code should have been if the DaVinci Code was a lot better than it was.

Anywow, I read a review of Labyrinth of Spirits that suggested that it is even better than Shadow of the Wind, and then I saw this bit of clickbait: https://www.bookscrolling.com/ranking-a ... countdown/

I'm kind of bored with the book I am currently reading (Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, despite that I generally really like Vonnegut's books). So I am thinking of giving Labyrinth a try. If you read it I would be interested in hearing your impressions.
The are actually 4 books in this "series" and it doesn't matter what order you read them in because they're all woven together. I loved then all.
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

Fly fishing for Redfish by Chico Fernandez.
Excellent so far!
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

"Unfollow: A Memoir of Loving and Leaving the Westboro Baptist Church" by Megan Phelps-Roper

https://www.amazon.com/Unfollow-Memoir- ... 0374275831
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'm just starting My Darkest Prayer by S. A. Cosby. A former Marine and sheriff's deputy works in a funeral home in a southern town. I haven't gotten further than that.

I'm reading it because I read his Blacktop Wasteland earlier this year. That's a satisfying novel set in rural Virginia. A fast driving, small business owner needs some cash and gets into some bad situations. I enjoyed the descriptions of the characters and the unexpected happenings.
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

I am reading Caste by Isabel Wilkerson.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

bfeenix44 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:06 pm
protagonist wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:18 pm Have any of you read Carlos Luiz Zafon's latest novel, "The Labyrinth of Spirits" ?

The are actually 4 books in this "series" and it doesn't matter what order you read them in because they're all woven together. I loved then all.
So I have read....that the order read does not really matter.
He is a great writer. I just started Labyrinth and I am already hooked.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

protagonist wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson....his account of hiking the Appalachian Trail.
I recently gifted a copy of his other book, One Summer, to a friend. It’s an entertaining account of the summer of 1927 in America. Many of his books are enjoyable reads.
Thanks for the recommendation. What are your other favorite Bryson books? I have only read two...Walk in the Woods and History of Nearly Everything.

Currently I am reading Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. Though I have really enjoyed most Vonnegut books I have read, I have mixed feelings about this one.
If you enjoy his style, At Home: A Short History of Private Life is pretty good.
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Beautiful Mystery, by Louise Penny.

In a remote monastery in northern Quebec, famous Gregorian chants, the choirmaster is found murdered.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
matti

Post by matti »

I am rereading In the Grip of the Whirlwind: The Armistice Day Storm of 1940. It documents the historic early winter storm that killed 154 people in the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest. I'm a weather geek and have always been fascinated by this weather event.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Up Jumped the Devil: The Real Life of Robert Johnson, by Bruce Conforth and Gayle Dean Wardlow.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Lying Life of Adults, by Elena Ferrante.

A middle class Neapolitan teenage girl learns about family dynamics and interpersonal relationships. A bracelet is involved. It’s Ferrante in spades.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Wings5 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:03 pm

If you enjoy his style, At Home: A Short History of Private Life is pretty good.
Thanks.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Alas, I did not like Jamaica Inn, the second Daphne DuMaurier book I've read. The first, Rebecca, was sensational, and I thought "Oh, boy, now I'm set with a new-to-me author, and a dozen surefire books are ahead of me," but no.

All the plot twists are clumsily telegraphed. I didn't think there was much in it but poetic descriptions of rugged Cornish landscape. The sixth time Mary gets chilled to the bone walking eleven miles in freezing winds it may be just as intense for her as the first time, but it is getting a little stale for us. [Spoiler alert] I don't know what the "-ism" is for "prejudice against albinos," but even for a 1938 novel I don't like the storytelling convention that physical peculiarity = bad guy. The way DuMaurier tells it, she is almost screaming "Watch out, Mary, you can't trust an albino!"

I don't know if writers thought that way in 1938 but it almost feels like a novel that was designed to be made into a movie (which, of course, it was). I might watch the movie sometime.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Pale Rider: the Spanish Flu of 1918 . . . , by Laura Spinney.

A history of the origin, course and sequelae of the 1918 Flu pandemic. The book is easy to read, not highly technical and interesting in my opinion. The author is a journalist.In

The one certainty seems to be that the Spanish Flu did not have its origin in Spain.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Man Who Walked Through Time — by Colin Fletcher (1967)

The classic of nature writing by the first man ever to have walked the entire length of the Grand Canyon.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:12 pm The Man Who Walked Through Time — by Colin Fletcher (1967)

The classic of nature writing by the first man ever to have walked the entire length of the Grand Canyon.
Wow! I read that in hardback shortly after it first came out. I must have moved six times since I read it but I probably still have my copy stuffed away somewhere. Excellent read.

Two other Colin Fletcher books I read and can recommend:

The Complete Walker (There are later, updated, versions which I haven't read). All are probably way out of date when it comes to equipment recommendations but I bet his other advice and observations are timeless.

The Man From the Cave. Fletcher came across a cave with someone's abandoned (?) belongings. Fletcher plays detective to learn about the man.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:44 am Alas, I did not like Jamaica Inn, the second Daphne DuMaurier book I've read....I don't know if writers thought that way in 1938 but it almost feels like a novel that was designed to be made into a movie (which, of course, it was). I might watch the movie sometime.
Oh. My. What a stinker of a movie that was.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:45 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:12 pm The Man Who Walked Through Time — by Colin Fletcher (1967)

Wow! I read that in hardback shortly after it first came out. I must have moved six times since I read it but I probably still have my copy stuffed away somewhere. Excellent read.

Two other Colin Fletcher books I read and can recommend:

The Complete Walker (There are later, updated, versions which I haven't read). All are probably way out of date when it comes to equipment recommendations but I bet his other advice and observations are timeless.

The Man From the Cave. Fletcher came across a cave with someone's abandoned (?) belongings. Fletcher plays detective to learn about the man.
Thanks, I’m interested in reading these books too. Early in the book that I’m reading, the author explains that he loves to walk, and in fact walked the length of California from Mexico to Oregon. This was before his Grand Canyon jaunt.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Any political fiction thriller recommendations?

I hear Vince Flynn is good
Last edited by Ramjet on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ramjet wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:16 am Any political nonfiction thriller recommendations?

The late Vince Flynn was a fiction writer. Decent action but I found that he was incapable of keeping his personal political views out of his writing.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

jebmke wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:41 am
Ramjet wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:16 am Any political nonfiction thriller recommendations?

The late Vince Flynn was a fiction writer. Decent action but I found that he was incapable of keeping his personal political views out of his writing.
Thanks, meant to say fiction not nonfiction! Will correct. Ever read Brad Thor?
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

I'm finally getting around to reading the "Pacific Crucible" by Ian Toll.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Just finished Jeffery Archer, Hidden in Plain Sight. It's the 2nd in a series about a Scotland Yard constable, William Warwick. Not bad, an easy read as are all of Archer's novels. Police work, court room drama, drugs, etc. I enjoyed it.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"The Law of Innocence" by Michael Connolly, the 6th in the Micky Haller/Lincoln Lawyer series. About half way through, can't put it down.

Dave
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Follow-up: 28% into Labyrinth and I can't put it down. Zafon is one of the best contemporary authors. It is a convoluted mystery set in Franco's fascist Spain spanning decades. Rather dark stuff though....if you are looking for something uplifting during these trying times that might not be the one for you.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Zafón. (Sigh) I'm still reading La Sombra del Viento, The Shadow of the Wind, by Zafon, in Spanish. It's taken me several years and I'm only halfway through it... and after I've struggled through a few pages in Spanish, even with help from Google Translate, I still need to go back and read the English translation. It doesn't help that Fermin is constantly using slang and droll turns of phrase. And there's at least one passage in which, I am informed, a character is speaking with a very strong accent characteristic of one particular neighborhood of Barcelona.

Meanwhile, I've read my third book by Daphne du Maurier, The House on the Strand, and didn't care for it. But I just saw the DVD of Alfred Hitchcock's movie version of Rebecca, and had one of those rare, satisfying, and slightly creepy experiences in which I could swear that the movie exactly matches the way I'd pictured things in my mind when I read the book.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:37 pm Zafón. (Sigh) I'm still reading La Sombra del Viento, The Shadow of the Wind, by Zafon, in Spanish. It's taken me several years and I'm only halfway through it... and after I've struggled through a few pages in Spanish, even with help from Google Translate, I still need to go back and read the English translation. It doesn't help that Fermin is constantly using slang and droll turns of phrase. And there's at least one passage in which, I am informed, a character is speaking with a very strong accent characteristic of one particular neighborhood of Barcelona.
I was told that the path to learning Spanish was reading children’s books. So I picked up the first kids book I found by an author I’d heard of, in the Spanish section of the library. Roald Dahl. In Spanish. That...did not go well.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Dave55 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:42 pm "The Law of Innocence" by Michael Connolly, the 6th in the Micky Haller/Lincoln Lawyer series. About half way through, can't put it down.

Dave
I finished yesterday myself. Another good Michael Connelly book: good writing, good story.

I just started the new Jo Nesbo, The Kingdom. Apparently not a Harry Hole novel.
black jack

Post by black jack »

The Old Man by Thomas Perry.

60ish former special ops guy who doesn't want to be found is found by people who are unhappy about a long-ago mission.

Favorite line: "He must have been a beast when he was in his prime." "He's in his prime now."

Protagonist is sort of a smaller, older, less talky Jack Reacher. I enjoyed the book, and will try other books by Perry.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
mancich

Post by mancich »

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

J Paul Getty - How to be rich.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

black jack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 am The Old Man by Thomas Perry.

60ish former special ops guy who doesn't want to be found is found by people who are unhappy about a long-ago mission.

Favorite line: "He must have been a beast when he was in his prime." "He's in his prime now."

Protagonist is sort of a smaller, older, less talky Jack Reacher. I enjoyed the book, and will try other books by Perry.
this was one of the better Perry stand-alones. To me, Butchers Boy is still the best book he has written of the ones I've read so far. The third in the Butchers Boy series was pretty good as well (a 4th is due out this year).
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Ramjet wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:02 am
jebmke wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:41 am

Thanks, meant to say fiction not nonfiction! Will correct. Ever read Brad Thor?
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I like Brad Thor. Also, Vince Flynn and his Mitch Rapp series are great entertainment. I recommend reading them in chronlogical order.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BV3273 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:58 am J Paul Getty - How to be rich.
I read his autobiography As I See It thirty years ago which I thought was interesting. I remember he struck it rich and retired at age 22 and embarked on a party life living it up with starlets and fast cars and found himself bored so he went back to work and never again retired.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 am
BV3273 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:58 am J Paul Getty - How to be rich.
I read his autobiography As I See It thirty years ago which I thought was interesting. I remember he struck it rich and retired at age 22 and embarked on a party life living it up with starlets and fast cars and found himself bored so he went back to work and never again retired.
Great book!
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

black jack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 am The Old Man by Thomas Perry.

The Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry are great. She helps people disappear to keep them safe.

Dave
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I'm reading 2 right now. "Turning Angel" by Greg Isles which is the 2nd Penn Cage book in the series and "Brush Back" by Sara Paretsky, the 17th V.I. Warshawski book. Enjoying both of them.

Dave
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Home, by Marilynne Robinson.

Gilead, by the same author, was the best book I read in 2019. The story of an elderly minister, writing a letter to his young son when his wayward godson Jack comes home for the first time in two decades, packed an emotional punch that I was not expecting. Home is the same story of Jack’s homecoming, told from the perspective of the Jack’s sister Glory, and is the story of Jack’s relationship with Glory and their father, a minister at the very end of his life. Both books are thought provoking and emotionally powerful.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Good Economics for Hard Times by husband-and-wife team of Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo. I picked this off a list of summer reads recommended by Bill Gates. The authors cover how issues like trade, immigration, and inequality affect our lives. Interesting how we often assume common sense explanations that turn out to be just not true. I’ve only just started but so far a fascinating read.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

Reading another fishing book, “Lords of the Fly” by Monte Burke.
Excellent read about the chase for world-record tarpon.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

The Last Trial by Scott Turow. I am only 200 pages into it and enjoying the ride...
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Working on two now.

The Twilight of Democracy, by Anne Applebaum and
Under Occupation, by Alan Furst