What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
phinanciallyfit

Re: What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Post by phinanciallyfit »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:36 pm
mak1277 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 am

In a few years I will need to replace my German daily commuter and I wonder if I can go to a Honda or Toyota? I suspect the answer is no and will be going with something more luxury.
You may be surprised by the quality of Honda and Toyota. My partner grew up in a Volvo family and when someone destroyed our beloved (crashing into it while it was parked in front of my mother's house), I convinced him that we should go with a Honda. We were still graduate students and it would have been irresponsible to buy a close to new Volvo (too old and you are gambling with what you get). He has recently (7 years later) has told me how much he likes the car. It is inexpensive, but reliable (far less maintenance than our Volvo) and the gas mileage is incredible.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

30west wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 am For those of us in a cold climate, heated mattress pad. Never crawl into a cold bed again.

Runner up. Gas fireplace.

Also remote start for the car, heated seats and steering wheel.

My next splurge will be a villa in Cabo.
Your post made me laugh. 20 years ago we bought a car that had heated seats. Thought it was a gimmick that I would never use. They are now a mandatory requirement in all my cars.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

As a Canadian, heated seats have been a requirement in any vehicle I have purchased, and once heated steering wheels starting becoming more widely available I waited for a vehicle with a supporting trim to get to three years old and purchased it used. Absolutely worth it!
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

canadianbacon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:19 pm As a Canadian, heated seats have been a requirement in any vehicle I have purchased, and once heated steering wheels starting becoming more widely available I waited for a vehicle with a supporting trim to get to three years old and purchased it used. Absolutely worth it!
Like the others up thread, I laughed when we got our first heated steering wheel. With some arthritis is my hands now, it’s a must have.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
praxis

Post by praxis »

Another example can be a vacation home. (This example depends on the home, the personality of the owner and the amount of time spent there.) At first it seams great, a place away that you and your family can enjoy whenever you want. But instead of renting different place and exploring new and exciting parts of the world you feel obligated to go to your vacation home. And, like every other house, it requires maintenance. Therefore, every couple of vacations you find yourself spending a day or two on maintenance instead of enjoying your days off. It would have cost less, with fewer headaches and stress to rent a different place whenever you wanted to travel as opposed the lifestyle creep of the second home.
Correct. It depends.

We had that discussion for a few years just prior to retirement 15 years ago. Within a month of retiring, we bought a lot on a mountain and designed and built our cabin. We justified it by hoping to create family memories. Actually, we have hosted many more friends than family, but we do have great memories. We thought we would have to make a trade off of fewer vacation trips due to the guilt of spending the money on the cabin, but we have taken many more international trips than pre-retirement/pre-cabin. We are active, energetic and proud of our place, so do not regret the hard work of upkeep. And now with covid, we just returned from 5 months on the mountain, mostly alone and quarantined. Lucky we had a safe place to escape to. The cabin was our biggest splurge. Worth it.
traveling_salesman

Post by traveling_salesman »

Ricchan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 pm Good coffee is something I've come to appreciate. The difference is very noticeable, even with me being a skeptic at first.

Back in the day I used to just grab coffee from Starbucks like everyone else. It didn't taste that great to me, but everyone else was doing it, so I figured it must be good and I was just too barbaric to appreciate it.

Then one day I got a grinder and a french press, brought home a bag of beans from Starbucks, and noticed the coffee I made actually had a flavor other than burnt charcoal. Amazing.

Eventually, my more sophisticated friends started dragging me to independent, local coffee shops, and I noticed their coffees had more mellow but distinct flavors compared to the beans I was buying from Starbucks. It was a nice, but the ubiquitous presence of Starbucks meant I still ended up grabbing their beans more often than not.

Fast forward a few years, and I've switched to doing pour overs with a Hario v60-- nothing wrong with a french press, it's just a personal preference. Then one day I got my first bag of single origin beans from an online shop, and I literally got tingles in my mouth from the first couple sips. It was the most dramatic eye opening experience since the initial move from ground coffee to whole bean. Now I almost exclusively use single origin Ethiopian beans. I've tried other single origins, and they're good for a change, but I always end up coming back to the Ethiopian beans.

The running cost is roughly $25 a bag (including shipping) every 3 weeks or so. Make note of the roast date; I can usually notice flavors starting to get stale about a month out, definitely by two months. If the place you get your coffee from doesn't list the roasted date (and instead prints a "best by" date or some other obfuscation), I'd stay away. Also, get a good burr grinder and a gooseneck kettle, they're worth it.
Lifestyle uncreep suggestion: buy a popcorn air popper and roast your own coffee (I bought mine at frys for $15 or so). I roast coffee every three days. All you do is put beans in the air popper, turn it on and wait seven minutes. Store overnight and use. Super convenient, and my lack of skillful roasting is made up for with the freshness.

Green beans from sweetmarias.com mean it’s 50% cheaper as well.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

Ricchan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 pm Make note of the roast date; I can usually notice flavors starting to get stale about a month out, definitely by two months. If the place you get your coffee from doesn't list the roasted date (and instead prints a "best by" date or some other obfuscation), I'd stay away.
traveling_salesman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm I roast coffee every three days. All you do is put beans in the air popper, turn it on and wait seven minutes. Store overnight and use. Super convenient, and my lack of skillful roasting is made up for with the freshness.
Three days after roasting, a professional coffee taster can taste the staleness of the roast.
Three hours after grinding, a professional coffee taster can taste the staleness of the grind.

--vtMaps
Historical Fact: Justin Smith Morrill represented Vermont in congress, had a dog named 'Trump', and wrote legislation establishing the Land Grant Colleges.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Before the pandemic - first class international airfare, nice computers and phones, some supernice cars also. Also 5* hotels have been super nice when traveling, and car service at airports etc. All have been really nice and worth it. Emirates first class is amazing.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

sambb wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 pm ...car service at airports etc.
Yet another one I forgot! It is a great way to start a trip. And, when flying international, having a meet and greet service to speed trough customs via special lanes...
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

sambb wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 pm Before the pandemic - first class international airfare, nice computers and phones, some supernice cars also. Also 5* hotels have been super nice when traveling, and car service at airports etc. All have been really nice and worth it. Emirates first class is amazing.
I found that I can't stand really nice hotels. I remember staying at the Intercontinental and it just seemed like people were following me around looking for tips, and I don't mean treasuries!

Seems like the old Hampton and TownePlace Suites suit me just fine!
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

HBO.

A less specific one involves travel and being intentional about spending an additional $5-10-20-50-100 etc when it will mean we get a better night's sleep each night, save considerable time and stress getting to/from the airport, and so on.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Having electricians and contractors over to do work on our house so I don't have to hurt myself doing a job that's only half as good.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm
sambb wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 pm Before the pandemic - first class international airfare, nice computers and phones, some supernice cars also. Also 5* hotels have been super nice when traveling, and car service at airports etc. All have been really nice and worth it. Emirates first class is amazing.
I found that I can't stand really nice hotels. I remember staying at the Intercontinental and it just seemed like people were following me around looking for tips, and I don't mean treasuries!

Huh. I've stayed in the whole range. And been treated great at Grand Hyatts, didn't feel like there was any tip grubbing? But obviously you've had different experiences.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Da5id wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm
familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Huh. I've stayed in the whole range. And been treated great at Grand Hyatts, didn't feel like there was any tip grubbing? But obviously you've had different experiences.
Out of the four star/diamond hotels at which I have stayed, I tend to find it more enjoyable at the independent boutique hotels. Those I feel like the lifestyle creep is a little more justifiable, for me and my wife, at least.

I do prefer the three star to the two star, as I have gotten tired of (pre-pandemic) cheap "free" breakfasts and I would rather pay for better breakfasts at time of service.
traveling_salesman

vtMaps wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:56 pm
Three days after roasting, a professional coffee taster can taste the staleness of the roast.
Three hours after grinding, a professional coffee taster can taste the staleness of the grind.

--vtMaps
Ok either that is some serious lifestyle creep, or you’re a serious coffee connoisseur. :D I don’t want (to be) either tbh
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

House cleaning and lawn care
Started using DoorDash etc for food delivery with the pandemic and its been wonderful having our favorite local places dropped at the door.
Nice gym/workout clothes. I was cheap on this stuff for years but after buying quality shorts, shirts, shoes I’m now spoiled.
Went a little overboard with a house renovation (paid cash at least) but we love it and plan to be here a long time.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

traveling_salesman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm
vtMaps wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:56 pm

--vtMaps
Ok either that is some serious lifestyle creep, or you’re a serious coffee connoisseur. :D I don’t want (to be) either tbh
Well you mentioned that you roast your coffee every three days... I assumed you were the coffee connoisseur.

I am most certainly not a connoisseur... I don't even drink the stuff any more (I take it intravenous now) :wink:

--vtMaps
Historical Fact: Justin Smith Morrill represented Vermont in congress, had a dog named 'Trump', and wrote legislation establishing the Land Grant Colleges.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm
canadianbacon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:19 pm As a Canadian, heated seats have been a requirement in any vehicle I have purchased, and once heated steering wheels starting becoming more widely available I waited for a vehicle with a supporting trim to get to three years old and purchased it used. Absolutely worth it!
Like the others up thread, I laughed when we got our first heated steering wheel. With some arthritis is my hands now, it’s a must have.
Growing up and living in Florida, ventilated seats are non-negotiable to prevent “swass”.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm Out of the four star/diamond hotels at which I have stayed, I tend to find it more enjoyable at the independent boutique hotels. Those I feel like the lifestyle creep is a little more justifiable, for me and my wife, at least.

I do prefer the three star to the two star, as I have gotten tired of (pre-pandemic) cheap "free" breakfasts and I would rather pay for better breakfasts at time of service.
Fair enough. Mind you, I mostly have used points for Grand Hyatts (in Kauai and Playa del Carmen), as I have trouble justifying the cash cost. And I agree, boutique places have more charm.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Second Home.

Not vacation home or weekend place; a second residence where we live for months at a time.

I always acted SO superior to the snow birds who left the great white north in the winter to come to the desert.

Old age and 124* and health issue have made me a migratory desert bird.

I can hear it now from th BH's.

My money, my life, your money your life.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Calvin Klein suits and Brooks Brothers shirts. However, I do get the BB shirts at Nordstrom Rack or at the outlets.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Our current splurge is a 19’ Class B motorhome that we bought June 2019. It’s our vacation home that takes us wherever we point it, which has been way more fun (and convenient since there’s essentially no pre-planning involved). We just returned from a 26 night tour of the north east visiting everything from Niagara Falls to Acadia National Park. We actually slept in free campsites in National Forests and Walmart/Cabela’s For all buy 7 of those nights. Roughly $400 in gas/propane and about $180 in camping costs was all it set us back! Yes, a 26 night vacation that we will remember for the rest of our lives for less than $600. (We didn’t dine out a single time)

This RV cost us less brand new than three cars we’ve owned during our marriage, so though it was an expensive splurge it wasn’t something we haven’t done before when buying 4 wheels.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70/30 AA. No mortgage. Simplicity is key.
batpot

Post by batpot »

traveling_salesman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm Lifestyle uncreep suggestion: buy a popcorn air popper and roast your own coffee (I bought mine at frys for $15 or so). I roast coffee every three days. All you do is put beans in the air popper, turn it on and wait seven minutes. Store overnight and use. Super convenient, and my lack of skillful roasting is made up for with the freshness.

This is amazing...can't believe I've never heard of it.
But aren't green beans more subject to rot? How much do you buy at a time, and how do you keep them fresh?
traveling_salesman

batpot wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:11 pm
traveling_salesman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm Lifestyle uncreep suggestion: buy a popcorn air popper and roast your own coffee (I bought mine at frys for $15 or so). I roast coffee every three days. All you do is put beans in the air popper, turn it on and wait seven minutes. Store overnight and use. Super convenient, and my lack of skillful roasting is made up for with the freshness.

But aren't green beans more subject to rot? How much do you buy at a time, and how do you keep them fresh?
I keep them in the ziploc bags they come in -- three years in my basement has not caused any problems.
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

Spotify
Golf
Luis Martinez No. 611 factory throwout sweet cigars
Jack Daniels Honey infused whiskey
"Dream, Dare, Do."
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

International travel was my lifestyle creep until COVID-19 arrived. Now I'm back to living an older, cheaper stay-at-home lifestyle.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Elena wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 pm
KlangFool wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 pm OP,

This cannot be considered as lifestyle creep since it fits within my annual expense:

A) My $1,700 foldable electric bicycle.

B) More expensive tea.

KlangFool
I am seriously itching for one, but since I will not be traveling with it I wonder whether I need the folding feature. Every time I read one of your posts, I hear my gut screaming "I want an electric bike to replace my car altogether!!!".
+1 to home location, 15 min. drive to work, smaller place, much more expensive per sq. f. than my old place. Best expensive decision.
I work less hours so I have more time for my human powered bike. Lost 10 pounds since start of covid. So is working less lifestyle creep ? Not spending $ on the bike, have two old bikes I took good care of.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

Last edited by kimura king on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Getting really good seats at NBA games (pre-COVID, obviously). Sitting next to my son and sharing in the agony and ecstasy of it all has been great. We sat courtside a number of times, which was another level of amazing.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Amazon Prime and Amazon music subscription, staying onsite when I go to Disney and adding arnother week on to the trip just off the top of my head. There have been several, but truthfully no lifestyle creep addition has made me as happy as being debt free. That beats any item or subscription I can ever purchase.

However, my 2 week stays at Disney are pretty close, but then are only 2 weeks and paid for fully so I don't have to pay for that trip the rest of the year.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Outside of perhaps Apple devices or a couple other things, I found that the opposite has happened for us in life. We want and desire less and less. We want and value simplicity and started to peal back clutter and items.

This has a mental benefit as well and is less stress. Less to worry about.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

We just added a fishing boat at the beginning of summer to our lifestyle creep and its been great so far. Initial cost was about $20k for a used very capable puget sound fishing boat and yearly costs will be about $6k to -$7k per year in marina costs, fuel and, maintenance.

Costs will be partially offset by the fact that we are also able to catch a significant amount of our yearly meat. Salmon, shrimp, crab, and squid. If lucky enough we might get some halibut or lingcod next year too. We will also be saving about $1000 a year in going out on fishing charters.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

batpot wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:11 pm

I got started when I saw one of the BH threads on coffee roasting. Bought a cheap roaster from sweetmaria.com And some coffee beans. But within about two months I ended up buying the Behmor 1600. I get green coffee from coffeebeancorral, Burman and sweetmaria. And roast 1 lbs at a time. It is fun to explore different types of coffee and roasting exactly to your own taste. I have so far roasted at least 35 different varieties to various level of liking. It is a great hobby if you are into coffee.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

1. Biz Class + Lounge Access - Pre-covid, I traveled a fair bit, so this makes nearly all my traveling enjoyable, and something I look forward to vs. being hit and miss (depending on who sits next to you, if there is a spare seat etc).
2. MacBook Pro -- Absurdly expensive, but they just "work", and tend to last a really long time (I got 8 years out of my prior MacBook). Because it's so reliable, I'm happier because I can focus on things I enjoy doing vs. fixing the latest virus or thing which went wrong on my PC.
3. Office setup - I spared no expense on the office setup, I spend 8hrs+ a day in here so I wanted it to be a place I really enjoy being in and a place I can feel inspired. As such I bought high quality furniture, and have multiple seating areas where I can shift to over the course of the day. It's probably nothing compared some some of the offices other might have here (giant bookshelves with a ladder, fireplaces, mahogany millwork? :) ), but it's pretty nice by my standards.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Business class when travelling. Very comfy.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Prime lenses
Custom tailored clothing
Holiday grapes
Good jackets
Good running shoes (when I used to run)

Another "lifestyle creep" is not sweating little expenses. I don't get fussed if I lose a disc golf disc or if the gas station I want to stop at is a little more expensive. Speaking of gas stations, why are there not more Buc-ee's? We just drove from Tx to Wi and back and the difference between Buc-ee's and everything else is extreme.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Flights - Direct instead of connecting, prime departure times, and business class (I crept up in that order)
Home - Outsourcing cleaning, dog grooming, maintenance and repairs
Food - higher quality wine, organic foods, exotic/new options whenever I feel like it
Clothing - Designer labels not only for status but for a more flattering fit and lasting quality

I think lifestyle creep is totally OK and a motivation to earn/save more. Most humans like a continual sense of progress. My savings rate increased until it plateaued around 50% of gross a few years ago. I don't feel bad about creep as long as the percentages of giving, saving, and spending stay in check.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 am We just added a fishing boat at the beginning of summer to our lifestyle creep and its been great so far. Initial cost was about $20k for a used very capable puget sound fishing boat and yearly costs will be about $6k to -$7k per year in marina costs, fuel and, maintenance.

Costs will be partially offset by the fact that we are also able to catch a significant amount of our yearly meat. Salmon, shrimp, crab, and squid. If lucky enough we might get some halibut or lingcod next year too. We will also be saving about $1000 a year in going out on fishing charters.
Maybe you can start a business to get your investment back.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:25 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 am We just added a fishing boat at the beginning of summer to our lifestyle creep and its been great so far. Initial cost was about $20k for a used very capable puget sound fishing boat and yearly costs will be about $6k to -$7k per year in marina costs, fuel and, maintenance.

I work on a charter boat as a mate. Guy that docks next to us did charters part time to offset cost of ownership. Lost his job due to COVID and now is doing it full time. He loves it so much more than his real job.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Dog(s) and kid.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

BV3273 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 pm
flyingaway wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:25 pm

I work on a charter boat as a mate. Guy that docks next to us did charters part time to offset cost of ownership. Lost his job due to COVID and now is doing it full time. He loves it so much more than his real job.
I don't think my boat is nice enough to charter with, it probably doesnt meet all of the requirements, and I'm not that great at fishing yet either. Maybe as a retirement "job" though.
wander

Post by wander »

Work when I don't get paid as volunteer. We earn money but give it away to other non-profit organizations. Just hangout with folks that I don't meet everyday to fix somethings, paint some old school doors.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Meg77 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:36 pm Flights - Direct instead of connecting, prime departure times, and business class (I crept up in that order)
Food - higher quality wine, organic foods, exotic/new options whenever I feel like it
Clothing - Designer labels not only for status but for a more flattering fit and lasting quality

I think lifestyle creep is totally OK and a motivation to earn/save more. Most humans like a continual sense of progress. My savings rate increased until it plateaued around 50% of gross a few years ago. I don't feel bad about creep as long as the percentages of giving, saving, and spending stay in check.
Thanks Meg for saying so clearly what I often think. Lifestyle creep is what makes me happy to LBYM. I understand that we have been extraordinarily lucky, but some of that might well have been earned.

ETA: on clothing, I don’t do designer labels, but I never think about the cost. An LL Bean waxed coat works great in the rain/snow. I found a style of UnderArmour that fits and is comfortable and I have a dozen or so copies because I don’t want to think about what to wear when I get dressed in the morning. Dozen pairs of DarnedTough socks, all matching so I don’t bother pairing them up after laundry.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:14 am
Meg77 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:36 pm Flights - Direct instead of connecting, prime departure times, and business class (I crept up in that order)

Thanks Meg for saying so clearly what I often think. Lifestyle creep is what makes me happy to LBYM. I understand that we have been extraordinarily lucky, but some of that might well have been earned.
I agree with both of you. Here is my version of Meg's list:
Flights - Not having to get up early or arrive late. Connections are OK within reason, especially with the access to United lounges. When flying to Europe, I decided that daytime flights (leave IAD at 0800 am, arrive to LHR at 2000 = 8pm) plus an overnight stay at a Heathrow hotel work for me better than night flights in Business class.

Home - I rent, and thus all major work is outsourced. Cleaning my apartment is not a burden.

Food - organic food, high quality, a large budget for supplements that I consider healthful.

Clothing - I patronize a local boutique that has some interesting selections. But my best place to shop is Bratislava, Slovakia. They have a lot of beautiful clothes from Italy and Poland. I was planning a shopping trip to Bratislava from the Vienna airport in late August 2020, but my entire trip was cancelled. Hopefully, travel resumes next year.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Afty

Post by Afty »

Today I had a handyman come over and fix several issues that have been on my household to-do list for months. Such a good decision and well worth the cost.
Adfmacro

Post by Adfmacro »

The response of “Apple Watch” reminded me of the time I went from slide rule to a pocket calculator. That was pretty special to me. But my wife and I bought a house with one bath then ended up with three children. Having a house with more than one bathroom was a life style change I would not want to give up.

Our first computer did not have access to the internet. Then we got dial up that shared the phone line. Then slow “high speed” internet. Now fiber optic internet. That was life style really creeping along. We started our marriage with an old black and white TV that was not working that was free if I could get it to work. A big treat was going on vacation and watching TV at the motel in color, but it couldn’t be a Motel 6 because their TV’s were still black and white. We not only enjoyed going to color TV, but we did not have to wait for the tubes to warm up.

I may not be where some of you are, but I am not complaining. There are still places that have no bathrooms or indoor plumbing. My two bathrooms seem pretty sweet. I will take that over Netflix any day, although my Amazon Fire Stick would be hard to give up.

You don’t need to know how old I am, but let’s just say It is too late for me to be a part of the FIRE movement.

Unless you have what brings you joy without having any stuff, no amount of stuff will get you there.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:18 am Our current splurge is a 19’ Class B motorhome that we bought June 2019. It’s our vacation home that takes us wherever we point it, which has been way more fun (and convenient since there’s essentially no pre-planning involved). We just returned from a 26 night tour of the north east visiting everything from Niagara Falls to Acadia National Park. We actually slept in free campsites in National Forests and Walmart/Cabela’s For all buy 7 of those nights. Roughly $400 in gas/propane and about $180 in camping costs was all it set us back! Yes, a 26 night vacation that we will remember for the rest of our lives for less than $600. (We didn’t dine out a single time)

This RV cost us less brand new than three cars we’ve owned during our marriage, so though it was an expensive splurge it wasn’t something we haven’t done before when buying 4 wheels.
We have a 22’ PleasureWay. What did you get?

It’s a great way to travel. Although we rarely stay in campgrounds.....

WoodSpinner
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Central heating, a roof, food on the table, indoor plumbing, and 21st century medical care. Nothing else compares. Oh, also a stable government.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Here are some of mine:

- PleasureWay Class B RV — it’s afforded us lots of opportunity to travel and see family.
- Advanced Elements Inflatable Kayak — What a great way to spend a day! We are calm water paddlers and love to combine kayaking with wildlife photography.
- Learning to bake NY Style bagels in my own kitchen! Truly manna!

WoodSpinner
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

WoodSpinner wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:18 am Our current splurge is a 19’ Class B motorhome that we bought June 2019. It’s our vacation home that takes us wherever we point it, which has been way more fun (and convenient since there’s essentially no pre-planning involved). We just returned from a 26 night tour of the north east visiting everything from Niagara Falls to Acadia National Park. We actually slept in free campsites in National Forests and Walmart/Cabela’s For all buy 7 of those nights. Roughly $400 in gas/propane and about $180 in camping costs was all it set us back! Yes, a 26 night vacation that we will remember for the rest of our lives for less than $600. (We didn’t dine out a single time)

We have a 22’ PleasureWay. What did you get?

It’s a great way to travel. Although we rarely stay in campgrounds.....

WoodSpinner
We have a RAM Promaster based Winnebago Travato. So just a little more than 19’ in length.

We’ve never stayed in a commercial campground, but we do often stay in State and National Parks when they’re open. All the parks in the northeast are closed for the season which is why we only used them early in our trip. We actually stayed a couple of nights inside Acadia NP and nobody bothered us.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70/30 AA. No mortgage. Simplicity is key.