Stationary Indoor Bikes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Paul Basenberg

Stationary Indoor Bikes

Post by Paul Basenberg »

Greetings ,

Does anyone have recommendations for stationary indoor bikes. Want to buy one for my daughter and her husband for Christmas. Let me know why you purchased the one you presently own and how satisfied you are with your selection. Also, if you are not satisfied, why?

Thanks for your help
Paul
arsenalfan

Re: Stationary Indoor Bikes

Post by arsenalfan »

Price point?

Peloton very popular and we enjoy it profusely. Here’s a NYT wire cutter review of what’s out there

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... e-you-buy/
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Yeah, what is your price point?

I travel for a living so I’ve ridden a lot of bikes in hotel gyms. Based on my experience, I think the best bike out there is the Keiser (m3i I think?). They’re built like a tank. They’re pricey ($2k range), but we were lucky to find a used one for $600. It was used in a gym and other than a few scuffs and scrapes, it rides like a brand new bike. I stream online videos from Les Mills on Demand, which is $10/month through Globalfit (which some people are eligible for through insurance). Otherwise it’s around $15/month (still a steal for the content) or can be less if you buy a yearly subscription. They have immersive spin workouts (“The Trip”), their original spin class (“RPM”), and a HIIT spin workout (“Sprint”). They also have numerous other types of workouts, the most well-known being BodyPump. Les Mills workouts are truly world class.

I don’t like the Peloton bike myself based on my experience riding them in hotel gyms. The Peloton is probably fine for home use, but they certainly don’t hold up to the abuse of a commercial gym. The ones I’ve ridden are more often than not broken and noisy. I also find it frustrating that the handle bars are fixed because of the screen so they don’t move forwards and backwards like most bikes do. I also wouldn’t want to pay $39/month to stream the workouts. That just seems excessive to me when I compare it to the $10/month I pay for Les Mills. Others do seem to love them and find that all the technology really motivates them so I’d give the Peloton some heavy consideration!
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

you might also want to consider trying a recumbent bike.

i went with a recumbent bike after comparing a regular indoor bike and a recumbent. recumbent was more comfortable (for me).

i have an older version of this:

https://www.visionfitness.com/us/eng/pr ... mbent-bike

good luck with whatever you get!

:sharebeer
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
BogleWogle

Post by BogleWogle »

I have a Schwinn IC3 and have had it for about a year.

I bought so I could do cardio in my loving room without creating too much noise. Works perfect for my needs.

I have a rower as well but that creates much more noise due to the fan which is less than ideal for early morning or late evening cardio sessions.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I bought a Concept2 BikeErg this summer to go with my Concept2 Model D RowErg that I bought last summer (May 2019). I am very happy with it. I connect the bike into Zwift ($14.95/month subscription) on my AppleTV (the streaming box) via Bluetooth and go on virtual group rides and workouts through simulated terrain to keep motivated. (I also use the PainSled app to connect the RowErg into Zwift. It's somewhat comical to row and have the calculated Watts converted into speed on the bike, but it's pleasantly distracting and makes me row more.)

Pros: The BikeErg was relatively inexpensive at $990. Everything that Concept2 makes is built like a tank, including the BikeErg. It uses standard pedals, so I was able to swap out the platform pedals for dual-side pedals with toe cages on one side and SPD clipless brackets on the other side. The seat and "cockpit" are easily adjustable, and you can swap out the seat for any standard bike seat if you want something different. The BikeErg allows for coasting, as on a real bike—i.e, you can stop pedaling and the pedals do not continue to spin. The resistance is adjustable during the ride by reaching down and to the left side of fan housing.

Cons: It is not a "smart" bike in the sense that software can adjust the resistance during the ride. The resistance controls are hard to see when riding. You can reach them, but they're not "in the cockpit" the way that gear shifts are on a real bike.

Context: I am a runner first and foremost, but I do row and bike for cross-training. I have a Felt B14 tri bike that I ride outside. Right now I'm running 6 days per week, rowing 3 days per week, and biking 2-3 days per week. I usually run every day, and I will get back to 7 days next month. That'll cut out one day of biking. If the bike was my primary training activity, I'd probably spend more on a true smart bike. (I do have a Landice L7 treadmill that I spent a pretty penny on 10 years ago. It's also a tank.)
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I have just received a Sole recumbent, it is listed as "Light Commercial Use" and comes with a 30-day, no questions return policy. Very heavy and solid, it looks like it will meet my needs for a solid, recumbent.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I have just received a Sole recumbent, it is listed as "Light Commercial Use" and comes with a 30-day, no questions return policy. Very heavy and solid, it looks like it will meet my needs for a solid, recumbent.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Cheaply made stationary bikes that rattle, squeak, have inconsistent resistance, etc. are no fun. Sure, you can get a workout on them -- you can also get a workout by not buying anything and just walking up and down stairs.

Keiser, Lemond, upper end Schwinn, are all good choices. Concept 2 is great and good bang for the buck but the resistance works differently from the others and you should consider if that is what you want.

The Peloton system is very popular but the bikes as standalones are not as good as some of the other options. I enjoy Peloton but would not invest in one -- there are threads here that go into detail if you are interested.

Sometimes YMCAs offer their old spin class bikes for sale when they upgrade.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

I would also, once you have it narrowed down check facebook market place. I found an older bike that was originally 1200, for 100. Its not a smart bike, but it gets the job done and is really stable.
Broszy

Post by Broszy »

I just heavily researched this topic, and we went with a spinner l1.

For context, my wife does spin classes, but can’t because of COVID. She uses this along with a subscription on the peloton app.
onourway

Post by onourway »

We also bought a used Keiser M3i at the beginning of the pandemic, also for about $600. Although it had a huge number of "miles" on it from the gym, the thing looks and rides like brand new.

Peloton has a great ecosystem, but you should be really sure that's the one you want because you are signing up at a steep $39/month. My wife uses the Peloton app instead, for $13/month with the Keiser.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

The answer very strongly depend on price and purpose:

* Is recipient a cyclist who wants to replicate training feel and improve cycling skills? --> turbo trainers or rollers
* Is recipient non-cyclist who just wants to get aerobic workout? --> anything
* Want a social or gamified experience? --> a few options
kabob

Post by kabob »

Schwinn Aerodyne - still King of the stationery's, definitely a good workout (quickly) , rock solid, no maintenance, no problem, and Great resale when ya find ya don't use it! It's a Breeze, (built in Cooling!)....
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

I have a road bike and in the Winter months attach it to a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer , back skewer is held in a notch and the wheel rests against the resistance roller - it was under $500 but don't know if they still sell them , very basic setup but does the trick and uses your own bike - our son and his family use a Peleton , expensive and the fit isn't as customized as your own wheels but you still get a workout and can hook it up to something like an Apple TV with Zwift software to simulate riding the Tour de France with the pros :happy .
UnderPressure

Post by UnderPressure »

+1 on the Keiser M3i
I used it at gym spin class for around a year before buying one for home use two years ago. Built like a tank, quiet, no regrets.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

Paul Basenberg wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:02 pm Greetings ,

Does anyone have recommendations for stationary indoor bikes. Want to buy one for my daughter and her husband for Christmas. Let me know why you purchased the one you presently own and how satisfied you are with your selection. Also, if you are not satisfied, why?

Thanks for your help
Paul
Agree with others that depends on how much you are willing to spend and what your daughter and son-in-law fitness goals are. We have had a Peloton under a month. It’s been the best thing to happen to my cardio regimen since playing high school sports. When I would run on my own, I never really pushed myself. With the Peloton system, there is a great variety of cycling workouts as well as other floor workouts. I use it to supplement my weightlifting. That being said, I haven’t researched other brands, but I am sure there are many excellent options.

Truth is the most important thing, no matter what you buy them, is for your daughter and husband to consistently use it.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

BogleWogle wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm I have a Schwinn IC3 and have had it for about a year.

I bought so I could do cardio in my loving room without creating too much noise. Works perfect for my needs.

I have a rower as well but that creates much more noise due to the fan which is less than ideal for early morning or late evening cardio sessions.
Multiples options for cardio :wink:
fm3040

Post by fm3040 »

Wattbike is a great product that was built for the British Racing Team. It is a solid and proven piece of equipment that can take a lot of beating. It is not a closed-loop system like the Peloton with high monthly subscription fees. It plays well with Zwift, Sufferfest, TrainingPeaks, TrainerRoad, Rouvy AR, Fulgaz, and other smart trainer software where you can enjoy virtual rides. If you hit a gradient, the bike resistance automatically increases (no knob to turn). If you would rather not pay, say, a $15 family subscription for third party smart trainer software, you can simply follow the many Wattbike programs that are available on the Wattbike App that you can download to your Apple or Android device.

You can also seriously improve your athletic abilities by means of the cycling workout programs and become a strong rider.

Wattbike Atom:
https://wattbike.com/us/product/atom-2017

You can register and check out the videos here:
https://wattbike.inspire360.com/

Check out the video of this virtual ride on Rouvy:
https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/38610

You can PM me if you have any questions. I am glad I did not get a Peloton which I feel is a rip-off.

Wattbike offers free shipping and there are no sales taxes to pay.
BogleWogle

Post by BogleWogle »

Osterix wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 pm
BogleWogle wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm I have a Schwinn IC3 and have had it for about a year.

Multiples options for cardio :wink:
Hahaha - I swear I meant living room!!
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Schwinn I-C Pro. Expensive, serious, very well built.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

I would upgrade to the Schwinn IC4 - it has electronics for RPM, Distance, Level, Heart Rate...with a built in LCD screen. It can easily integrate with Zwift, Peloton, FulGaz...

https://old.reddit.com/r/pelotoncycle/w ... y/ic4ic8c6

Price is about $899 - but sign up for the Dick's newsletter and they email you a 10% off coupon.
CharacterCounts

Post by CharacterCounts »

We've had no problems over 10 years with Lemond G-Force RT Recumbent Exerciser. They also make (or made - not sure now) an upright. Get's daily use along with Landice L7 treadmill.
Topic Author
Paul Basenberg

Post by Paul Basenberg »

Thanks for all the great information. Did any of you purchase a service contact on your bikes? I never buy them, but I imagine with all the moving parts, wear and tear, they might need one. Who repairs your bikes?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tm3 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:50 am Cheaply made stationary bikes that rattle, squeak, have inconsistent resistance, etc. are no fun. Sure, you can get a workout on them -- you can also get a workout by not buying anything and just walking up and down stairs.
I tend to buy the cheapest option that I think can do the job before moving up, and with exercise equipment in particular I have almost never moved up. I am a former competitive cyclist and my wife is a current competitive cyclist, we bought a Sunny spin bike on Amazon for <$200 6yrs ago. Zero complaints. My wife rides it ~10hrs/week as soon as it gets cold outside (October-April). We've both ridden high-end spin bikes more times than we can count and a friend's Peleton several times; no interest in moving up to this point.

I also put together a slightly higher-end model (on Amazon for ~$350) for my step-dad about a month ago. He was a pretty avid cyclist before he went blind a year ago. He's been riding every morning before work and told me it has been great. If you aren't into the interactive experience, a cheap bike and a TV/tablet can do the trick.
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

I’m satisfied with our Schwinn IC3. Solid construction, very few electronics.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

Another vote for Schwinn IC4. Pretty solid bike and connects with a bunch of apps. You pay less the peloton service; no live classes though.
The downside is that you have to get your own screen. You can buy them the biggest and latest iPad along with the bike.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Paul Basenberg wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:40 pm Thanks for all the great information. Did any of you purchase a service contact on your bikes? I never buy them, but I imagine with all the moving parts, wear and tear, they might need one. Who repairs your bikes?
If you buy a new bike I’m guessing it would come with a decent warranty? Our used Keiser came with a 1-year warranty, but we haven’t needed it. The Keiser design seems pretty simple (not that many moving parts) so I think we would be able to fix it ourselves if we ever needed to. Another thing I forgot to mention earlier that I love about the Keiser is that it’s very slim and low profile compared to other bikes, if space is an issue. The Peloton takes up a lot more space, especially with the big screen. The Keiser is also light and has wheels that make it easy to maneuver. I’m a fan! :D
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Peloton is facing huge backlogs in shipping, up to nine weeks. So if you go that route you better order now.
cervisia

Post by cervisia »

I'm fairly new to exercise bikes, but am super happy with:
1) MaxKare magnetic, belt dive bike (under $300)
2) wahoo cadence sensor ($40)
3) wahoo TICKR Fit hear rate armband monitor ($80)
4) Peloton digital ($12/mo vs $40/mo if you have the Peloton bike)
5) Tablet or TV (I use an older iPad we had kicking around)

I previously had an exercise bike with chain drive and felt resistance. The above MaxKare is much better... and cheaper than the popular Sunny Health brand. Cadence and heart rate show in the Peloton digital app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RG96F9N/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9XNFPY/
https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-TICKR-Hear ... 078GRMFSN/
tm3

Post by tm3 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:54 am I am a former competitive cyclist and my wife is a current competitive cyclist, we bought a Sunny spin bike on Amazon for <$200 6yrs ago. Zero complaints.
Well, different strokes. The couple of times that I have been on el cheapos I was glad to get off, and I definitely would not invest in one.
UpnorthCPA

Post by UpnorthCPA »

I have been very happy with our Peleton. Well worth the money for my personal needs. I need motivation to get through my workouts and their digital content is top notch and engaging.
jerkstore

Post by jerkstore »

I bought a Lemond Revmaster Pro off craigslist for $500 (like 5-7 yrs ago) and have over a thousand hours on it...but there's no totalizer...so not sure how far above that.

Nothing has worn out, it's made well.

I hate riding it, but I hate all indoor cardio.

Last winter I managed to run outside the entire winter, which was miserable at times, BUT much less so than cardio inside. Fresh air.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

cashboy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 pm you might also want to consider trying a recumbent bike.

i went with a recumbent bike after comparing a regular indoor bike and a recumbent. recumbent was more comfortable (for me).

i have an older version of this:

https://www.visionfitness.com/us/eng/pr ... mbent-bike

good luck with whatever you get!

:sharebeer
Thanks. Once I get my living situation settled, I'm leaning towards getting a recumbent bike. I can't do a lot of walking/jogging or exercises involving being on my feet a lot since I screwed up my ankle/foot years ago and a recumbent bike works well with the foot and my back.

I figure I can get one of those and some dumb bells/bands and get a decent work out.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.