Windows 10 very slow (2 year old Dell Desktop)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Windows 10 very slow (2 year old Dell Desktop)

Post by runner9 »

I'm looking for ways to speed up our Dell insprion i5 desktop which we bought just over 2 year ago.

Although it varies (some times a good bit faster than others) in general it's very slow with everything: opening a webpage, opening an Office file, even typing this post at times is fine and at times gets several words behind on screen from what I've typed. Clicking something from the start menu can be 40 seconds to 4 minutes wait to open.

I've run AVG free deep scan, I've changed/limited what files are opening at startup, I did something that removed a bunch of temporary files. The hard drive is about 48% full. (484 GB free of 918 GB). I've deleted programs we no longer use. I read somewhere that deleted programs are still in a registry, but haven't tried anything like that. The power settings are correct, I know that comes up in a lot of lists to check.

My son used to play some games on this computer but no longer does. I don't know if that messed anything up, nor how to find it if AVG didn't. I don't need it running super fast or anything, but I often stop working completely because it's so frustrating. If it was an old computer I'd lean towards replacing but having only had it 2 years ago this past summer I hope I can figure this out.

Any suggestions of what else to try appreciated.

EDIT: Malwarebytes found nothing. The CPU% mostly stays in the 7%-20% while the memory is typically around 55%.

How do I figure out what kind of hard drive it has?
Last edited by runner9 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
inverter

Re: Windows 10 very slow (2 year old Dell Desktop)

Post by inverter »

You just proved a bunch of people’s points about Mac versus PC in another thread! :D
yohac

Post by yohac »

If it's that slow, I'd suspect a rogue program is sucking up all your CPU. Try Ctrl-Alt-Delete then click Task Manager. You may be able to find the culprit.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Starting with a fresh install of Windows should return it to its original level of performance.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Try running a Malwarebytes scan. It can find malware that ordinary anti-virus apps don't.

Run task manager (as mentioned in earlier in the thread), go to the detailed view for Processes, click on the CPU column to show the highest CPU using process, and set the Always on Top option, and leave it visible in a corner of your screen. When you see a slowdown, look at the top CPU using process and that might help identify the problem.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

How much memory does it have? Is it a traditional hard drive or an SSD?
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

runner9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:37 am I'm looking for ways to speed up our Dell insprion i5 desktop which we bought just over 2 year ago.

Although it varies (some times a good bit faster than others) in general it's very slow with everything: opening a webpage, opening an Office file, even typing this post at times is fine and at times gets several words behind on screen from what I've typed. Clicking something from the start menu can be 40 seconds to 4 minutes wait to open.

I've run AVG free deep scan, I've changed/limited what files are opening at startup, I did something that removed a bunch of temporary files. The hard drive is about 48% full. (484 GB free of 918 GB). I've deleted programs we no longer use. I read somewhere that deleted programs are still in a registry, but haven't tried anything like that. The power settings are correct, I know that comes up in a lot of lists to check.

My son used to play some games on this computer but no longer does. I don't know if that messed anything up, nor how to find it if AVG didn't. I don't need it running super fast or anything, but I often stop working completely because it's so frustrating. If it was an old computer I'd lean towards replacing but having only had it 2 years ago this past summer I hope I can figure this out.

Have you considered Linux? I run the Lubuntu version on my 2012 Lenovo Thinkpad x220t, and it works great!
The main problem is the concept of "killer apps". Microsoft Windows doesn't work natively, but the files are cross-compatible with .xlsx, .docx, etc.
My "great" iMac from 2017 doesn't run nearly as quickly with either MacOs or Windows 10 (through bootcamp) as my Lenovo running Linux.
Also, a BH perk to Linux is that it costs nothing.

Disclaimer: I do not have any professional conflicts of interests here. I am just an end-user.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 am How much memory does it have? Is it a traditional hard drive or an SSD?
<---- THIS.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 from 2010 or so.. it has a first generation Intel i870... but with an SSD and 16gb of ram, its super fast for "day to day" types of activities.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

inverter wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am You just proved a bunch of people’s points about Mac versus PC in another thread! :D
A sample size of one doesn't prove anything. Worse, there's no control to show a 2 year old Mac would be any faster.
riots_rus

Post by riots_rus »

Fresh Windows 10 install, then be careful who installs what on the PC going forward. Use Firefox or Chrome with an ad blocker (whitelist your favorite sites such as this one) to keep malicious things away. Open your taskbar and uncheck anything in the startup section that is not necessary if you're capable of determining what is or isn't. Keep Windows updates turned on, you probably don't need antivirus (quite often it slows the entire system down consuming the hard drive during scans) so try without it, and you should be good to go.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:55 am
Kenkat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 am How much memory does it have? Is it a traditional hard drive or an SSD?
<---- THIS.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 from 2010 or so.. it has a first generation Intel i870... but with an SSD and 16gb of ram, its super fast for "day to day" types of activities.
Yes, I have an older Gateway desktop that was 4GB of RAM and a 1TB 5400 hard drive; took it up to 12GB with some memory my son scrapped from an old PC and a 500TB SSD and it gave it new life - runs great again. I suspect taking the OP’s machine up to the specs you indicated would do the same.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

oldfort wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:57 am
inverter wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am You just proved a bunch of people’s points about Mac versus PC in another thread! :D
A sample size of one doesn't prove anything. Worse, there's no control to show a 2 year old Mac would be any faster.
Like I said, my iMac is slow, so I would like to be the n of 1 on the other side of the fence.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Have you used the task manager? This should show you what is hogging any CPU time.
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

I have used Dell desktops for the last 20 years. The pc i am now using is 10 years old. It has been slowed down many times in the past. It have always been restored to original performance by these actions. In order of least to more drastic measures. When I do not power off the machine for several days , simply power off allowing reloading of needed startup processes has helped. Once reseating of the ram solved problem. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse in one room where my pc monitor is located. The pc is in another room. When my batteries in keyboard and mouse get week, i have poor response. New batteries solve that. Three times i have used system recovery in settings to reinstall windows 10. This will give you option to keep your personal files. I found that having a good back up of personal files and doing a full clean install worked best. Some say 3 years is average life of a pc. The one i am using to submit this is my 3rd in 20 years and it is working as good as it was the day I bought it from Sam's Club in 2010.
DemoEngr

Post by DemoEngr »

Definitely malware bytes and then download ccleaner do cleaning then register cleaning the review what loads in start up and shutdown programs that don't need to start with windows.

CCleaner is one of the best free software programs that keeps systems optimized.
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

I will say as both a Windows (Work) and Mac/Chrome (home) user fully invested in all 3 ecosystems:

Apple or Chromebook would the smart way to go for the majority of home users.

Apple computing is generally considered more expensive, but this is not factual if you look deeper. Their device contain components that are either unavailable or exorbitant if you were to buy them elsewhere. One example is the iMac with included 4k or 5k screen. Try finding that on a Windows PC and compare those prices. Then, try to scale 4K to look good on Windows. It's not great.

People look at an iMac with an i5 and a Windows PC with an i7 for the same price, but you have a much more optimized operating system working with the hardware. This to bring up, Apple computers generally do not slow down or degrade in performance over time. Windows needs to be maintained which can be either inconvenient or impossible depending on your level of tech expertise. You hunt the problem, spend time researching, eventually reformat the system, and repeat the same cycle in a year or two.

My 2008 iMac is still running fine.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

1. Upgrade to an SSD (solid state drive) if it has a spinning HDD. This will make a huge difference.

2. Use the "reset this PC" feature in Windows to do a clean install. Make sure you have your data backed up and have installer files (or media) for any programs you'll also need to reinstall.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

OP here:
Malwarebytes found nothing. The CPU% mostly stays in the 7%-20% while the memory is typically around 55%.

riots_rus

Post by riots_rus »

Go to device manager and post the model number of the hard drive(s)
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> My son used to play some games on this computer

This leads me to strongly recommend a reinstall of the operating system. A sophisticated user MIGHT be able to sort this out but it might not be worth the trouble.

OP might check to see if the hard drive is healthy (google SMART and hard drive).

SSD is great. More DRAM is great. But probably not necessary to make a 2 year old computer useful again.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

runner9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am OP here:
Malwarebytes found nothing. The CPU% mostly stays in the 7%-20% while the memory is typically around 55%.

Press the Windows button on your keyboard, then type "defrag." Open the "Defragment and optimize drives" app. That will show what type(s) of drives you have.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

You might want to check hard drive space. If it is around 10% free that can cause trouble. You can do it from file explorer, right click on drive letter and select properties (doing this from memory). There are a bunch of ways of finding this.

There are also a number of results for a google search of windows 10 slow that lists things to check for.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

And youtube has a bunch of videos about this, as well. About how to speed up your Windows 10.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

CCleaner Free says hard drive it’s scanning is:
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 8.0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 630

the CCleaner Free claims to have removed 80,486 trackers and 6,142 MB of junk.

I'll see if this make a difference:)
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Thank you all. Hours later it's humming along much better than before. I think the CCleaner was a big improvement. Thank you!

Watching the task manager, the memory percentage stays up in the 50%-80% range a lot. I don't know if this is a concern, I'm happy with the speed the last several hours.

Thanks!
Ged

Post by Ged »

A program that I use from time to time is Autoruns, a free Sysinternals tool from Microsoft that enumerates all the programs that automatically start on a Windows machine.

With this you can disable a lot of the automatically launched soul - sucking programs that creep in when you install software. Be careful though. Disabling the wrong thing may disable something you actually need.

Post by 123 »

It can also be helpful to pay attention to the %Disk utilization in Task Manager.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

runner9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:06 pm CCleaner Free says hard drive it’s scanning is:
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 8.0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 630

the CCleaner Free claims to have removed 80,486 trackers and 6,142 MB of junk.

I'll see if this make a difference:)
A lot of programs must be running at once. My dell is 10 years old but faster than yours. My boot time is 30-40 seconds with an i3. Your computer should be much faster than mine.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

OP:

2 suggestions......
1. Unless you need onedrive, kill it in taskmgr and disable it from startup.
2. Unless you use Skype, kill it's tasks and disable it from startup.

Both of those a lot of memory and cpu right after startup, then they calm down a little.

If your Dell has a factory load, be aware Dell loads a lot of non-windows processes.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

runner9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:55 pmWatching the task manager, the memory percentage stays up in the 50%-80% range a lot. I don't know if this is a concern, I'm happy with the speed the last several hours.
It is a concern. The more memory that is in use, especially when you are crowding the upper limit, the more often the OS will be swapping to disk. If your disk is a HDD instead of an SSD the wait times can seem interminable. Windows is mysterious about how and when it uses the disk swap file. I have 64GiB of RAM on my desktop, have never seen the system use more than 32GiB of it, yet Win10 still occasionally will write to the swap file.

Presently, 8GiB of RAM is considered a practical bare minimum for a Win10 system. You might consider doing the two things which most often make the largest difference in the snappiness of a dull Win10 box - change the boot drive to an SSD and double the amount of RAM.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

familythriftmd wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 am
Like I said, my iMac is slow, so I would like to be the n of 1 on the other side of the fence.
Well the MAC is slower from day one, seeing as it costs a lot more for the same specs compared to a Windows PC.
At the very least that used to be true.
Get rich or die tryin'
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

d18lover wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 am I will say as both a Windows (Work) and Mac/Chrome (home) user fully invested in all 3 ecosystems:

Apple or Chromebook would the smart way to go for the majority of home users.

Apple computing is generally considered more expensive, but this is not factual if you look deeper. Their device contain components that are either unavailable or exorbitant if you were to buy them elsewhere. One example is the iMac with included 4k or 5k screen. Try finding that on a Windows PC and compare those prices. Then, try to scale 4K to look good on Windows. It's not great.

People look at an iMac with an i5 and a Windows PC with an i7 for the same price, but you have a much more optimized operating system working with the hardware. This to bring up, Apple computers generally do not slow down or degrade in performance over time. Windows needs to be maintained which can be either inconvenient or impossible depending on your level of tech expertise. You hunt the problem, spend time researching, eventually reformat the system, and repeat the same cycle in a year or two.

My 2008 iMac is still running fine.
Sure, but the software you can run on mac is a lot more sparse.
I Wouldn't call their components exorbitant, just overpriced.

The never-ending mac vs. pc war :)
Get rich or die tryin'
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Ged wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm A program that I use from time to time is Autoruns, a free Sysinternals tool from Microsoft that enumerates all the programs that automatically start on a Windows machine.

With this you can disable a lot of the automatically launched soul - sucking programs that creep in when you install software. Be careful though. Disabling the wrong thing may disable something you actually need.
press windows button / start and type in 'msconfig' - there you'll get a list of programs running at start up. No need for software.
Get rich or die tryin'
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

runner9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:37 am I'm looking for ways to speed up our Dell insprion i5 desktop which we bought just over 2 year ago.

EDIT: Malwarebytes found nothing. The CPU% mostly stays in the 7%-20% while the memory is typically around 55%.

To answer what drive you've got:

windows key + R

type in : 'dfrgui'

You'll see a list of drives. Next to it ' media type ':

either hard drisk driver or solid state drive (SSD)
Get rich or die tryin'
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

dziuniek wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:19 pm
familythriftmd wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 am
Well the MAC is slower from day one, seeing as it costs a lot more for the same specs compared to a Windows PC.
At the very least that used to be true.
The mac vs. PC thing is a bit non-sequitur insofar as they aren't really for the same type of people nor do they have the same baseline philosophy. That's how I see it, anyway.

But maybe I digress a bit from the spirit of OP's line of questioning.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Your hardware is towards the low end but is sufficient.

A clean install is kind of a nuclear option, but likely to fix the problem. Then, only install software that has a good reputation that you actually use. And then restore your data files.

If you want a little more pep, an SSD and an upgrade to 16GB would make substantially breathing room. Your processor is decent as is.
Ged

Post by Ged »

dziuniek wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:23 pm
Ged wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm A program that I use from time to time is Autoruns, a free Sysinternals tool from Microsoft that enumerates all the programs that automatically start on a Windows machine.

press windows button / start and type in 'msconfig' - there you'll get a list of programs running at start up. No need for software.
autoruns has a more comprehensive understanding of auto startup locations than msconfig and has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns
Watty

Post by Watty »

Two things I did not see in this thread;

1) Whenever your PC or Mac starts acting funky the first thing to do is to back up your important files.

2) There were several posts that mentioned doing a fresh install of windows but that sounds intimidating. There are several ways to do that but within the last couple of years Microsoft made this really easy to do. Just type in Refresh or Reset into the windows search box and it will take you to the control panel to do this with little more than the click of a button. It does take a long time to run though, I did this on a laptop this summer and I just let it run overnight.

You will need to reinstall any software like MS Office so be prepared to spend some time setting up your PC again just like when you get a new PC.

Of course you would want to also have a backup of your important files and a full system backup so you can restore it back to where it was if you run into some unexpected problem.
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Did you try to clear the cache and delete browsing history
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Thank you all, I'm working through all of the suggestions.

Specifically looking at upgrading the memory/RAM:
It's a Dell Inspiron 3668 which has 8 RAM and maxes at 16 RAM.
What am I looking for specifically?

For example, using a memory search gave me "KCP424NS8/8" and if I google that a 3rd party on Amazon has it for $5.
When I search the computer model on a different website they list several, starting at $29 with "CT8G4DFS824A"

Am I looking for a specific brand? I want something that's going to last and worth the money.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

One person is having trouble with Windows 10 - sure - the proof is solid here. :oops:
Of all the desktops/laptops in my home - the only one we have occasional issues is is a MacAir - spinning-wheel-of-death.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

runner9 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:53 am Thank you all, I'm working through all of the suggestions.

Specifically looking at upgrading the memory/RAM:
It's a Dell Inspiron 3668 which has 8 RAM and maxes at 16 RAM.
What am I looking for specifically?

For example, using a memory search gave me "KCP424NS8/8" and if I google that a 3rd party on Amazon has it for $5.
When I search the computer model on a different website they list several, starting at $29 with "CT8G4DFS824A"

Am I looking for a specific brand? I want something that's going to last and worth the money.
CT8G4DFS824A is a Crucial part. Have bought lots of RAM from them, they're very reliable.

Not clear if you determined SSD vs HDD - if it's the latter, replacing with SSD will make a bigger difference than adding more RAM.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

It's a Hard Disk Drive.

I know there some responses about how to actually change it, I guess that part gives me pause, I have a lot of files on this computer I don't want to lose. I do have an external backup (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTTIA) so everything should be on there, though I haven't checked.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I am running a ThinkPad x230, a bit over 8 years old at this point. Started out on Windows 7, then migrated to Win 8 and then to Win 10. Upgraded the spinning disk to an SSD about 4 years ago and have a second "disk" in the slot for a modem. Now the 8 Gb of RAM, never any speed issues (or anything else for that matter.

The only security software I use is what comes with Win 10. I have it set up as a dual-boot into Mint and both operating systems and programs are on the PCI "disk", boots it about 10 seconds once I pick the OS from the GRUB list. A 2-year old system that shows the lagging behavior of yours is not, in my opinion, a hardware problem, but you already know that!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Thought I'd share my experience (YMMV).

I've always used System Mechanic as a system maintenance/cleanup tool.

https://www.iolo.com/products/system-mechanic/

There are similar products on the market. I believe there is a free version for one-time use. This program cleans up trash files, repairs any registry problems, frees up memory and defrags the hard disk.

Now for the Hard Drive vs SSD issue: Again, strictly my experience. I have a 2012 Gateway NV57H i5 laptop. After the Windows 7-10 update, the boot time was 2+ minutes. I installed a Samsung 500gb SSD with great results (boot time reduced to 15 seconds, other programs launch much more quickly).

My recommendation for you:
  • Search Google for "Youtube Dell XXX {your model number] install HD SSD"
  • Watch the video to see how difficult accessing the HDD is (for my laptop, it was removing two screws on an access panel-some newer computers are more involved)
  • Decide whether this is something you are comfortable doing yourself or with a knowledgeable friend
  • If you want to try it yourself, order the SSD (I ordered a Samsung 500gb) and a data transfer cable (<$10). I used Amazon since they have a 30-day no hassle return
  • Be sure to "clean up" your HDD using System Mechanic, a similar program or Windows tools to repair any file problems - lost sectors, etc.
  • Download the vendor's software and 'clone' the HDD. This involves (1) installing the vendor's cloning software, (2) plugging the data transfer cable into a USB slot and hooking it to the SSD, and (3) launching the program
  • Note that, by cloning the entire HDD, you will have two copies of every file - one on the HDD and one on the SSD
  • Cloning took around 60 minutes for me
  • I then unplugged the data transfer cable, removed the HDD (after first unplugging the laptop and taking out the battery), installing the SSD (2 screws), and reinstalling the battery
  • I powered up the laptop and the system worked exactly as before, except much faster
  • If you would prefer to have someone else do the work, most independent computer repair shops/ GeekSquad/ OfficeDepot offer this service
Good luck!
  • If you have a problem, you can always take out the SSD and reinstall the HDD - your files are still there
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
srtboy

Post by srtboy »

Here is a script to remove bloatware on your windows 10 machine. This should speed up your system.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debl ... master.zip

if you decide to clone your mechanical drive. Here is a recommended ssd.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-50 ... B0786QNS9B
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

You've gotten some good advice here, minus the "Mac is better than a PC" drivel.

My thoughts are:
I second the suggestion to clear the cache on your browser/browsers. Lots on gunk collects there. You will have to re-enter user names and passwords, but it's good hygiene.
Run Adwcleaner. It is freeware from the makers of Malwarebytes and it seeks out adware that can undermine performance. It will also identify" crapware." You can quarantine the offending items.
Then, rerun Disk Cleanup and since you have an HDD run Disk Defrag after that.
Last, it never hurts to runs a deep virus scan.

A SSD is definitely faster than a HDD, but changing it is not trivial task for most. Beside that, a cleaned-up HDD and should be adequate for your apparent usage needs.
I have added RAM to PCs and the impact has been modest. I bought it RAM from Crucial and it worked fine. Crucial had a downloadable utility that queried your PC and told you which parts are compatible. You may be able to add an 8GB SIMM to your machine or you may have to replace your current RAM with a new 16GB SIMM. The utility will tell you. BTW, there are different memory speeds and (surprise, surprise!) faster is more expensive.
Finally, if you open your system bring a vacuum cleaner and carefully clean out the dust. Dust causes heat retention, degrading performance.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am Finally, if you open your system bring a vacuum cleaner and carefully clean out the dust. Dust causes heat retention, degrading performance.
Might need to use compressed air... I had a computer and the CPU was being throttled like crazy, case looked clean but there was dust in the middle of the heat sink, which i couldn't see.. I sprayed it out, and oh man its way faster.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 pm
Voltaire2.0 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am Finally, if you open your system bring a vacuum cleaner and carefully clean out the dust. Dust causes heat retention, degrading performance.
Might need to use compressed air... I had a computer and the CPU was being throttled like crazy, case looked clean but there was dust in the middle of the heat sink, which i couldn't see.. I sprayed it out, and oh man its way faster.
True that. A can of compressed air is a good way to blast away dust. Keep the N95 mask handy and then vacuum up the litter.
boglebob321

Post by boglebob321 »

I had the same problem with my Windows based Lenovo after it was just 2 years old. Bought a MacBook Pro and all my problems went away. My Mac is 5 years old now and still running strong