Fidelity CC declined, they deny declining

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Fidelity CC declined, they deny declining

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Two different merchants, once each attempted to put information into web order, then tried a phone order with one of the merchants, all declined.

Called Fidelity (UMB) they stated that they did not decline anything, have no record of anyone attempting to get approval. It does seem that my wife was able to use it for a "card present" transaction this morning.

Any similar experiences??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
testing321

Re: Fidelity CC declined, they deny declining

Post by testing321 »

Did you call the 888 number on the back of the card?
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm
Called Fidelity (UMB) they stated that they did not decline anything, have no record of anyone attempting to get approval. It does seem that my wife was able to use it for a "card present" transaction this morning.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
testing321

Post by testing321 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm
So you're talking about the debit card for cash management, not the credit card?
Last edited by testing321 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm
UMB handles the checking account. Elan handles the credit card. PNC handles the debit card.

Are you talking about the debit card or the CC?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

These are the kinds of one-off special-cause things some Bogleheads immediately end long-standing business relationships over. So, quit Fidelity, I guess.

Problem solved?
Last edited by Cheez-It Guy on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I have seen cases where a specific provider denies all requests from a vendor. This is usually, but not exclusively, done with international websites. I have had success using a different card to resolve this.

It may also not go through because of communication errors, which can be due to the vendor, the system or the provider. These are usually resolved with time.

In either case, since your CC was not individually denied, so there would be no record of the issue on your account.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

Something sort of like that happened to me.

I ordered something over the phone for $39. A few hours later I get an email from the merchant saying there was a problem with the credit card. By then the merchant was closed, so I called the credit card and was told that no charges were declined on my card. But they did tell me that the merchant had charged, and a few minutes later refunded $39.

When I called merchant the next day, and reviewed the CC info, it turns out that they had entered the expiration date incorrectly. It is interesting to me that the charge was not declined... rather it went through and then was quickly reversed.

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 pm These are the kinds of one-off special-cause things some Bogleheads immediately end business long-standing business relationships over. So, quit Fidelity, I guess.

Problem solved?
Gotta say I agree with Tim Buckley Cheez-It Guy on this one.

Get rid of Fidelity and move everything to Vanguard. They've got a great credit card with rewards and benefits and..... :oops: Sorry, I'm mistaken. No credit card from them.

No worries, Vanguard has you covered with their CMA account with inked debit card that gives you the flexibility of using your money market funds to.... :oops: Oh, that's right. No CMA or CMA features, such as a debit card, bill pay, and such.

That's okay, at least you can reach a Vanguard representative whenever you have a question or an issue, whether it be on the weekend, evenings.... :oops: I am so sorry. I am off my game today. I forgot you have to call Vanguard during banker's hours when it is convenient for them, even if it isn't convenient for you.

All in good fun!

Hopefully the Fidelity credit card issuer, Elan, can get this straightened out for you. Here is the contact page for the Fidelity Rewards credit card: https://www.fidelityrewards.com/credit/contactUs.do
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm Two different merchants, once each attempted to put information into web order, then tried a phone order with one of the merchants, all declined.

I’ve had that card since it’s inception.

The only two times there were issues were once when my wife was traveling in CA (we live in NJ) and tried to use the card to charge gas. The charge was denied and I got a call from Elan asking if we were traveling out of state. I said yes, my wife was and there were no further issues the remainder of that trip.

Second time, I placed an online order for a refrigerator from BestBuy (was around $4,000). I got a text asking me to respond whether it was me trying to put through that charge. Once I confirmed yes the charge went through.

So a bit different from your experience.

I still have that card but no longer use it as I get a higher CB rate on my BofA Premium Rewards CC.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm Two different merchants, once each attempted to put information into web order, then tried a phone order with one of the merchants, all declined.

Similar experiences? Yes, I frequently buy wine at Total Wine. More than half the time my Fidelity Visa gets declined while in the store (card present) and I use another card. I'm able to use the card elsewhere that same day.

The last time was within the last month, but for an internet charge (card not present). The Total Wine website just said something like "fix the error" w/o identifying the error. After several attempts it hit me it was the card being declined. I called Fido about it, citing how it happened frequently over a period of years. I was told that they screen and decline charges from certain types of stores, or particular stores. They said "go ahead, it's cleared." I asked them to stay on the phone while I submitted again. It did not go through.
They "cleared" it again and it went through.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If you're referring to the Fidelity Visa credit card, it is issued by Elan (US Bank). I recommend setting up fraud alerts to come to your mobile phone. You might have to approve your bitcoin and gold coin cash advance. Next, review the information you have on file with them. Next, do a local purchase. I recommend tacos, whiskey, or preferably both.

I have this credit card. I assure you that it works for online purchases. Your purchases may be stranger than mine, but it would be quite a horse race.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

heartwood wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:02 pm I was told that they screen and decline charges from certain types of stores, or particular stores.
What, like a modern day Morals Police? Do they think repealing Prohibition was a mistake? :P
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

Called Fidelity (UMB) they stated that they did not decline anything, have no record of anyone attempting to get approval.

Almost exact issue with BofA cards. At a restaurant, used the BofA cash rewards card, waiter came back and said declined. Used the BofA preferred rewards same thing, and Amex went through.

Called BofA, they had no record of either charge attempt, nor anything declined.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:39 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 pm These are the kinds of one-off special-cause things some Bogleheads immediately end business long-standing business relationships over. So, quit Fidelity, I guess.

Problem solved?

Get rid of Fidelity and move everything to Vanguard. They've got a great credit card with rewards and benefits and..... :oops: Sorry, I'm mistaken. No credit card from them.

No worries, Vanguard has you covered with their CMA account with inked debit card that gives you the flexibility of using your money market funds to.... :oops: Oh, that's right. No CMA or CMA features, such as a debit card, bill pay, and such.

That's okay, at least you can reach a Vanguard representative whenever you have a question or an issue, whether it be on the weekend, evenings.... :oops: I am so sorry. I am off my game today. I forgot you have to call Vanguard during banker's hours when it is convenient for them, even if it isn't convenient for you.

All in good fun!

Hopefully the Fidelity credit card issuer, Elan, can get this straightened out for you. Here is the contact page for the Fidelity Rewards credit card: https://www.fidelityrewards.com/credit/contactUs.do
+1
Thanks for the laugh.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 pm These are the kinds of one-off special-cause things some Bogleheads immediately end long-standing business relationships over. So, quit Fidelity, I guess.

Problem solved?

All in good fun!

LOL!

Pierre Delecto : Mitt Romney :: Cheez-It Guy : Tim Buckley ?!

Could be! Tim Buckley trolls Bogleheads.org while Vanguard customer service burns!
egrets

Post by egrets »

I've had this happen a couple of times with CapitalOne. A merchant says the card was declined, CapitalOne says it never saw a request for a charge from the merchant. I figure the mechants screwed up.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm If you're referring to the Fidelity Visa credit card, it is issued by Elan (US Bank). I recommend setting up fraud alerts to come to your mobile phone. You might have to approve your bitcoin and gold coin cash advance. Next, review the information you have on file with them. Next, do a local purchase. I recommend tacos, whiskey, or preferably both.

I have this credit card. I assure you that it works for online purchases. Your purchases may be stranger than mine, but it would be quite a horse race.
got the alerts, see my post today viewtopic.php?f=11&t=319886&newpost=549 ... ead#unread

No other problems but at Total Wine. Elan is much better than the old Fido FIA AMEX. That was hacked at least 1x/yr over and over. It was always FIA's fault.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

TropikThunder wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm
heartwood wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:02 pm I was told that they screen and decline charges from certain types of stores, or particular stores.
What, like a modern day Morals Police? Do they think repealing Prohibition was a mistake? :P
Must be. They explained it as higher risk type of store, but maybe it is morals!
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Similar to unplugging/restarting something, did you try re-entering the card details again?

Embarrassed to admit I once used the CVV from my main card when paying with a different account. Took me three "Errors" before I realized my mistake. :oops:
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

I had this happen over the weekend as well. In my case though, it was the merchant (tennischannel) that declined. Why? Because the credit card on file had declined a renewal attempt last month - I had changed the credit card because of fraud - and so they decided to blacklist my account itself, not just the credit card that declined :oops:
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

I had this happen a couple of times with the Fidelity CC, I called in and they were able to adjust some feature that has since prevented it. I also recall them giving me some extra bonus points for the inconvenience.

The last few years we've charged quite a bit on the card and I told them if they couldn't get it right that I'd move it to another card. It's worked since.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:59 pm Similar to unplugging/restarting something, did you try re-entering the card details again?

Embarrassed to admit I once used the CVV from my main card when paying with a different account. Took me three "Errors" before I realized my mistake. :oops:
The entry of the cc details is made by LastPass, no intervention on my part. I did then try to enter it manually, same difference.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Quirky things happen with this card. The interwebs have quite a few stories.

For a few months I went through a stretch where they declined all charges at Best Buy. No other issues--just Best Buy. That problem has since gone away for me.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Totally unacceptable!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Problem solved?

All in good fun!

I've read that e-trade bank is a good one.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Nope, never had a charge or withdrawal declined with the credit card, or the debit card, and I've never called UMB, not sure why I would they don't handle card services for either card.
I would make sure your account has cash available for withdrawal if it was the debit card, and either way, be sure you're calling the number listed on the back of the card... not UMB.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

Interesting to have similar recent experience with credit cards in a similar time frame. Completely annoying and a time drain.
From prior international travels I have discovered the credit card company can indeed see these “pings” and provide assistance. However, getting that higher level of assistance depends on your tenacity and the individual’s willingness to “bump up” your inquiry and the credit card company’s customer service orientation. Examples, Chase is very hit or miss, usually a miss; Capital One usually a hit. I have not seen the fee amount charged to have a particular credit card to be a determining factor in getting assistance.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have heard this type of complaint about the Fidelity Visa card numerous times on this and other discussion forums. Some have described the phenomenon as an excessive zeal to prevent fraud. They blame Elan Bank, not Fidelity. It's one of the main reasons why I have never applied for the card despite being a Fidelity customer.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Yes, I have had a CC transactions declined as claimed by the merchant. 3 times in recent memory. Calling my CC was no help as they claimed my card was not on hold and nothing had been declined. I used a different card to complete the purchase. Indeed, they were right as I was able to use the same card at a different place on the same day.

Conversely, I've also been double charged by a merchant and they claim no double charge occurred. As I have a CC bill proving the charge, I was promptly refunded by my CC company.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 am Nope, never had a charge or withdrawal declined with the credit card, or the debit card, and I've never called UMB, not sure why I would they don't handle card services for either card.
I would make sure your account has cash available for withdrawal if it was the debit card, and either way, be sure you're calling the number listed on the back of the card... not UMB.
Thanks for the correction, I in fact called the number on the back of the card, new to Fidelity and lacked instant awareness of who did what.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Gotta say I agree with Tim Buckley Cheez-It Guy on this one. ....

All in good fun!
I was surprised when I started hearing about the "new" Tim Buckley at Vanguard. I knew the "original" Tim Buckley back in the 1960s. I hope the new Tim Buckley is equally talented, since my savings are at Vanguard.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Just off the phone with Elan, even after explaining that I was declined even when not presenting the card (as well as when presenting the card) their best offer was to send a new card, bizarre.

I need to find another 2% across the board, no-fee card with some decent enrollment bonus.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm Just off the phone with Elan, even after explaining that I was declined even when not presenting the card (as well as when presenting the card) their best offer was to send a new card, bizarre.

I need to find another 2% across the board, no-fee card with some decent enrollment bonus.
I recently switched from the Citi 2% over to the Fidelity/Elan card because of the number of fraud-refusals I had with citi (Final straw was when they said they blocked the charge and sent me a fraud alert/lock message; merchant said they blocked/denied so I used another credit card; but then the charge actually appeared on my citi credit card anyway! I disputed it and then they denied the dispute telling me to take it up with the merchant - merchant claims they never received it from citi since it was blocked - charged my other card which I confirmed. This costs me $99. I maybe could have pushed it further with other's at Citi but was really busy at the time - after a few calls with folks that couldn't speak English and had trouble following the circumstances I gave up - Citi has lost me as a customer for life.). At least Elan didn't put you in the hole by $99 like Citi did to me.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

mmmodem wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 am Yes, I have had a CC transactions declined as claimed by the merchant. 3 times in recent memory. Calling my CC was no help as they claimed my card was not on hold and nothing had been declined. I used a different card to complete the purchase. Indeed, they were right as I was able to use the same card at a different place on the same day.
I've had that too. I have a specific card I can't use at my local movie theater, but it works fine everywhere else and customer service can't see anything. I use another card there, but (if the movies were open) it'd be nice to use the card I want to hit my transaction minimums.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 pm These are the kinds of one-off special-cause things some Bogleheads immediately end long-standing business relationships over. So, quit Fidelity, I guess.

Problem solved?

LOL. Yep, only course of action I see.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I had a good one at Walmart used my WM app to get 5% reward credit declined, used my WM card accepted but I only get 2% cash back. Spent way to much time on the phone trying to get the extra $3 bucks back. :oops:
egrets

Post by egrets »

mslaw wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:30 am Interesting to have similar recent experience with credit cards in a similar time frame. Completely annoying and a time drain.
From prior international travels I have discovered the credit card company can indeed see these “pings” and provide assistance. However, getting that higher level of assistance depends on your tenacity and the individual’s willingness to “bump up” your inquiry and the credit card company’s customer service orientation. Examples, Chase is very hit or miss, usually a miss; Capital One usually a hit. I have not seen the fee amount charged to have a particular credit card to be a determining factor in getting assistance.
I probably shouldn't say this or I'll jink things, but CapitalOne has very good customer service. They helped me with this situation without my having to uplevel.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

egrets wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:53 pm

I've had this happen a couple of times with CapitalOne. A merchant says the card was declined, CapitalOne says it never saw a request for a charge from the merchant. I figure the mechants screwed up.
This is the case. If it were a decline there would be a decline code with the issuer. If the issuer does not have any information on the attempted transaction it is because it never made it to them. It is most likely a merchant error, processor error, equipment issue, connection issue or processor system issues.

Things like wrong expiration date, fraud block, over limit, etc. would show up with the issuer.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

NJdad6 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:32 pm If it were a decline there would be a decline code with the issuer. If the issuer does not have any information on the attempted transaction it is because it never made it to them. It is most likely a merchant error, processor error, equipment issue, connection issue or processor system issues.

Things like wrong expiration date, fraud block, over limit, etc. would show up with the issuer.
Really? :happy I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just picturing my pimply teenage self ringing up items at a drug stire and swiping the customer's card. Then the screen indicates "DECLINED." I'm glad I never encountered a customer that confronted me with, "What is the error code?" I would have no idea, I made minimum wage.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

mmmodem wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 pm
NJdad6 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:32 pm If it were a decline there would be a decline code with the issuer. If the issuer does not have any information on the attempted transaction it is because it never made it to them. It is most likely a merchant error, processor error, equipment issue, connection issue or processor system issues.

Really? :happy I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just picturing my pimply teenage self ringing up items at a drug stire and swiping the customer's card. Then the screen indicates "DECLINED." I'm glad I never encountered a customer that confronted me with, "What is the error code?" I would have no idea, I made minimum wage.
The code/decline reason would be with the issuer. Meaning Fidelity/Elan would see the decline and would be able to tell the cardholder why the transaction was declined. The merchant would not have that info. Probably best that you didn’t have to tell a customer in a big line they were over their limit 😁
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

I haven't seen this mentioned, but you can also be denied by the card processor the merchant uses. They have their own denial lists. Somehow I ended up on Stripe's list because of a boating trip purchase about two years ago - whenever I cannot use a card (or cards) at a merchant, it is always Stripe that they are using. Any card I use is blocked. The merchant has to contact Stripe to process it or I get to use Paypal or such. Stripe will not talk with me - only the merchant - there is no way to reverse it to my knowledge.