Paypal security challenge loop....solution?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Paypal security challenge loop....solution?

Post by protagonist »

I need to use Paypal to send money to somebody.

When I try logging in, I get to their security challenge page and get stuck there. It keeps flashing and I can't move on.

Apparently a lot of people have been experiencing this problem for quite awhile...here is one example: https://github.com/jbms/finance-dl/issues/20

It's a new problem for me.

Does anybody have a solution? Contacting Paypal was reported as useless by many users with this issue.

Thanks.
brad.clarkston

Re: Paypal security challenge loop....solution?

Post by brad.clarkston »

What OS and what browser? Try a different browser.

If it's Windows:
Try clearing the cash from all browsers, run something like BleachBit (open source, harder to use) or CCleaner (closed source, easier to use).
Install Malwarebytes if you already don't have it and run it.

If that doesn't work install a Linux OS to a thumbdrive, boot to it and run a antivirus from it to your hard-drives, then repeat the above.

EDIT: Ugg didn't look at the screenshot, so that's a captcha issue. Not that the above isn't bad but probably won't fix that.
If it's firefox or Chrome uninstall and reinstall it clean. If your saving your passwords with the browser stop, just stop.
Get a Password Manager and delete everything that's saved in the browser.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

Venmo?
not financial advice
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Thanks for the great response, brad.clarkston !
brad.clarkston wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 pm What OS and what browser? Try a different browser.
Chrome. I was planning to try Firefox, but others claim switching browsers does not help.
If it's Windows:
Try clearing the cash from all browsers, run something like BleachBit (open source, harder to use) or CCleaner (closed source, easier to use).
I used Ccleaner....didn't help.
Install Malwarebytes if you already don't have it and run it.
Ran Malwarebytes....didn't help.
If that doesn't work install a Linux OS to a thumbdrive, boot to it and run a antivirus from it to your hard-drives, then repeat the above.
That's an interesting idea. I never tried that before. Not sure how to do it, but I could look it up. I'm curious...how would that help?

EDIT: Ugg didn't look at the screenshot, so that's a captcha issue. Not that the above isn't bad but probably won't fix that.

I think it might be a captcha issue. The captcha just keeps flickering on the screen....can't get past that to even enter a solution.
If it's firefox or Chrome uninstall and reinstall it clean.
I could try reinstalling Chrome but others say it doesn't help.
If your saving your passwords with the browser stop, just stop.
I use Keepass. I never save passwords with the browser.
Get a Password Manager and delete everything that's saved in the browser.
See above

Great response. Thanks again for your help!
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

chinchin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:09 amVenmo?
Thanks. I will see if the recipient accepts Venmo. I never used it. Is it as secure as Paypal?
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

protagonist wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 am
chinchin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:09 amVenmo?
Thanks. I will see if the recipient accepts Venmo. I never used it. Is it as secure as Paypal?
It's owned by PayPal so I would assume its equal.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

The Linux thumbdrive option is just for possible virus/malware scrubbing that's about as good as you can get without removing the hard-drive and scrubbing it in a different machine. *But* if it's a captcha issue I wouldn't go that far as that's not going to be a virus/malware issue (other than the google virus).

I would try it in Microsoft Edge Chromium - you might need to download it. I know people have had luck online with it getting the google captcha's to work better.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 am The Linux thumbdrive option is just for possible virus/malware scrubbing that's about as good as you can get without removing the hard-drive and scrubbing it in a different machine. *But* if it's a captcha issue I wouldn't go that far as that's not going to be a virus/malware issue (other than the google virus).

I would try it in Microsoft Edge Chromium - you might need to download it. I know people have had luck online with it getting the google captcha's to work better.
Thanks
scottwood2

Post by scottwood2 »

Not sure if you have still having the issue but I just had the same problem using Chrome on Windows 10 (PC). Tried MS Edge browser and it worked fine.