How do Bogleheads cope with FOMO? [Fear Of Missing Out]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
n00b_to_investing

How do Bogleheads cope with FOMO? [Fear Of Missing Out]

Post by n00b_to_investing »

... seriously I have been pondering over this question ... by no means this is a call to seek "alternate" strategies ... I am sticking to my guns but would love to get your thoughts (qualitative and/or quantitative).
deltaneutral83

Re: How do Bogleheads cope with FOMO?

Post by deltaneutral83 »

By recalling what happened to big tech stocks in 2000-2001. Winning a bunch can and has gotten wiped out in one swoop before and will again. Good luck.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

MO on what?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have index funds. By definition I own all stocks ( except OTC) so how am I missing out? I own total international stocks and total U.S. funds.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Determine what is needed, then create a plan and stick to it. What other choices do you have?

Here is how you look at it: Say you need 6% return from your portfolio for next 20 years to reach your goals, then you look at what asset mix is needed today for you to produce that given your annual contribution rates and current estimated returns (reasonable assumptions). Then you calibrate that periodically to see where you are and how far still you are from the goals. There is no FOMO. Just what you need to do. For me equities are a necessary evil, I do not enjoy risk, but risk is what I need to be exposed to in order to get there. Once you get there, you re-calibrate, even then you need a certain exposure to different types of risks to keep your purchasing power.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

By embracing the simplicity.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

FiveK wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:21 amMO on what?
+1
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

By being satisfied with exactly what I bargained for with my AA. And expected. And realized. And will continue to realize.

No fear of missing out at all. Unfortunately all of the above applies equally to declining market. Still no fear, but sometimes a bit of anxiety :wink:
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

For the brief period of time between finding Bogleheads and dumping my FA I had FOMO of being a passive index fund investor!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

By sticking to a number of personal principles, that not everybody shares, but that I really do hold.
  • "Satisficing," not optimizing.
  • Knowing my personal goals, and measuring everything in an absolute way against my own goals.
  • Being in this for me, not to beat somebody else.
To some extent this runs against the cultural norm of consumerism. The main way a company can get you to switch to what they sell is by claiming that their product is better. That means they need to convince you of three things, not just one.
  1. My product is better.
  2. The difference actually matters.
  3. You must choose the best.
What do Coke and Pepsi agree on? They both agree that you need to decide which tastes best, and if it's the other one, switch.

Think about #3 long and hard. Why must you choose the best?

Quite apart from the difficulty of identifying the best, you can live a perfectly good life just saying "No thanks, I am perfectly happy with choices that probably aren't the best." If that shocks you, think about it just a little bit more. And, no, I don't mean anything about subtle personal criteria. I don't mean some intangible thing that makes the seemingly less good better for you. I mean not caring. I mean not sweating the small stuff.

If you see a penny on the sidewalk, you can choose not to pick it up. Not because you have made some interior calculation of the time it will take or the risk of overextending your shoulder and having it hurt. Just because you just don't care.

The whole goal of 99% of what you read about investing is to get you to care about and act on stuff that doesn't matter much.

I would add one note about fear of missing out. The really deadly mistake is staying out through prudence and good judgement, then getting tired of watching your friends getting rich (or saying they are getting rich) and finally giving up and jumping in.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Easy: Retire about 5 to 10 years before all those others and Live The Dream.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I'm assuming you're feeling missed out on tesla, apple, gold or something else that has happened to have beaten the market over some recent short term time period.

you must realize a few things:

1. that there will always be things that outperform the market over the short term. The distinction is that over the long term these mostly do not tend to beat the market. You're seeing things with blinders on of sorts. There are countless examples of this throughout history. Just go back to the nifty fifty and ask yourself now if you feel you missed out on polaroid. of course not. but that's not how you would have felt back in the 1970s.

2. most never compare the return or the volatility of this thing they're feeling they've missed out on. You can look at any stock (or gold or whatever it is you're FOMOing about) and you can feel bad about not having owned it. But if you look closer you see periods when it was way more volatile than holding the market. Most people can't even handle the volatility of the market but they somehow think they can handle the volatility of an individual stock (or gold or whatever)? Give me a break. That's not how most people behave. They think they will do better than that because they hold on when things go up. But when they go down, they panic and sell.

3. ask yourself if you want to be chasing after things your whole life or if there is a better way to live. If you want to chase after shiny new toys, then you'll have FOMO forever. If you give up the ghost and accept the market's return, you don't have to worry about chasing chasing chasing. You also own the very thing (unless it's gold you're FOMOing over) that others are bragging about, because it's likely part of the total market. So you've got it. What you're FOMOing over is not having ENOUGH of it, rather than not having it at all. You have TESLA and APPLE and so on if you hold the total market. You're FOMOing over not having ENOUGH of TESLA and APPLE and so on. Well how much is enough? How much risk do you want to take? To hold more than the market is to take additional risk. Are you willing to do that? Why? What if you're wrong? What if you buy more (tilt) beyond the market's cap weighting and future returns are not the same as the past? That was a bad bet wasn't it?

Just as you can talk yourself into FOMO you can talk yourself out of it. I have found the following quote to be the best reminder for me:
In other words, concentrating your portfolio in a few stocks maximizes your chances of getting rich. Unfortunately, it also maximizes your chance of becoming poor. Owning the whole market—indexing—minimizes your chances of both outcomes by guaranteeing you the market return.

William Bernstein, The Four Pillars of Investing
Also what I found helpful is from Rick Ferri:
A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds
you wanna be a successful investor or not? Your choice.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 am The whole goal of 99% of what you read about investing is to get you to care about and act on stuff that doesn't matter much.
This. 100% agree.

Hint: find the 1% that does matter in the Bogleheads investment philosophy
Last edited by Rowan Oak on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
Topic Author
n00b_to_investing

Post by n00b_to_investing »

Stinky wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:27 am
+1
Missing out on outsized gains by not indulging in the mania (FANG, Tesla, Zoom etc) and sticking to index funds
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

n00b_to_investing wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:42 am
+1
Missing out on outsized gains by not indulging in the mania (FANG, Tesla, Zoom etc) and sticking to index funds
Oh, well in that case, I just don't have FOMO, the same way I don't stress about missing out on the gains I could get from gambling or scratch tickets.
I don't assume I'm smarter than everyone else, and then I just don't worry about it.
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

+1
You'll miss out on the outsized losses too.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

n00b_to_investing wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:15 am ... seriously I have been pondering over this question ... by no means this is a call to seek "alternate" strategies ... I am sticking to my guns but would love to get your thoughts (qualitative and/or quantitative).
Think about the same question in a different context. Is FOMO a problem when you think about your weekly paycheck and the Off Track Betting parlor?

If that seems too close to home you have a real problem! If not, perhaps it helps.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

+1

There are times when I see stuff shooting up and I have the itch to have a more aggressive allocation. If I had a more aggressive allocation over the last 10 years I could easily retire now. On the flip side having lived through several crashes, seeing the short term toll it can take on a portfolio, and seeing many of those riding the roller coaster up, then crash back down, I don't want that either. You have to convince yourself you don't have the ability to outsmart the market, come up with a strategy and stick with it and do your best to tune out the noise.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

+1
I'm not missing out on those outsized gains. I have ~$35k worth of AAPL...in my index funds. I just don't have to guess what stocks are going to have outsized gains, I get it automatically.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I had to Google "FOMO" to see what it means. I can't remember having "Fear Of Missing Out." Perhaps it is because I am very pleased with my simple indexed portfolio which holds nearly everything.

The Three-Fund Portfolio

Best Wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The beauty of owning the market is that you eliminate individual stock risk, you eliminate market sector risk, and you eliminate manager risk." -- "The odds of outpacing an all-market index fund are, well, terrible."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
reln

Post by reln »

n00b_to_investing wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:15 am ... seriously I have been pondering over this question ... by no means this is a call to seek "alternate" strategies ... I am sticking to my guns but would love to get your thoughts (qualitative and/or quantitative).
By ignoring the hype, would be my guess.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

I didnt and I got burned with AAPL
SB1234

Post by SB1234 »

I cope with the Reality of missing out, by focusing on the Reality of the personal progress made. e.g. When I first started out I would find it extremely hard to invest more than 1 thousand in any one stock. And I think even today I could'nt invest more than a single digit thousand in any one stock. But investing that much and more every month in the market using index funds is very easy for me. Then when I tally up the portfolio periodically I am satisfied to look at the progress. The total portfolio gains are bigger than I could have gotten by investing in single stocks, simply because the invested capital is many times higher than I would have in any single stock.
superstition: belief that market will one day come around to your concept of fair value
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I’m not missing out on anything. I’ve enjoyed a nice fat 14% return on my portfolio the past ten years. I got a 30% return last year. I hit my retirement number 10 years early. And I didn’t have to gamble any of my money to do it.

The people that will miss out is once the music stops and prices come back down.
Last edited by Brianmcg321 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Nisiprius: +1. Basically, set reasonable goals and pursue them reasonably. Don't let FOMO actually be reflective of an overly competitive goal to exceed all others all the time in any area.

Tim
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I focus on having Enough rather than having More. Ironically, by doing that and ignoring FOMO, I have ended up with More than Enough.
hagridshut

Post by hagridshut »

+1
If the chance at outsized gains are important to you, here's my take:

Forget about the chances you missed. Focus on finding the next big opportunity. I wish I'd bought shares of AMZN in 2010 and gotten 30x, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

Trying for outsized gains means taking on outsized risk, and the cost to your mental health is not free. TSLA is an instructive example. TSLA IPO'd at something like $4-5/share (adjusted for this year's split) in 2010, resulting in around 100x gain for investors who bought the stock at IPO and held until the present. However, how many investors would have been willing to hold TSLA through a decade of tumult and uncertainty? How many people could cope with years of (1) liars in the Mainstream Media relentlessly bashing the company, (2) people on forums like this taunting you for owning a company that many said was certain to fail, (3) The CEO's erratic behavior on social media, and (4) Manic volatility in the share price?

If you want to win big, prepare to suffer a lot in the process, with no guarantee of anything at the end.

Getting outsized gains means finding an opportunity that few others see, being willing to buy and hold, and having the mental strength to withstand pressure from others and vicious attacks from the Mainstream Media.

My last thought is: don't buy stock in anything you don't understand. The people who profited from AMZN and TSLA generally understood the technology, and this understanding gave them the confidence to hold their stock when everyone else said the companies sucked. People who didn't understand what they were buying got spooked by talking heads on TV or the stock volatility and sold out of fear.

Understand the risks. Buy only what you can understand.
Taking a break as of 2 Mar. 2021; First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

It’s Tortoise and Hare. I’ve come to see that I’m better suited being a Hare in my areas of expertise (career) and putting the fruits of my labor into broad market index funds investing like a Tortoise. Slow and steady still gets you to the finish line. And being a Hare at work has better odds of getting me there faster than trying to get fancy with investments.
Quaestner

Post by Quaestner »

1. Some are "Bogleheads" in name only and DO try to beat the market. They can't live with FOMO.
2. Some Bogleheads just suffer with FOMO and live with it.
3. Some Bogleheads carve out a "play money portfolio" - maybe 5% of their money? - that they invest in for fun, and they hope, extra profit.
4. Some Bogleheads don't experience FOMO because they are convinced (or are accepting) that diversified low cost investing and purposeful thoughtful asset allocation are the best strategies to meet their goals.
5. There's likely some more categories you could think of! Or overlap among them - I'm mostly in 4, but I admit to some 2, and my friend just bought some bitcoin....
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Since I don't have that fear, I don't have to cope.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

At first I was not sure what FOMO stood for. At times I have wondered about the tech stocks but I have learned way too much to risk what we have in an attempt to get more. I recall the tech bubble and the Great Recession. Now Corona.

I am happy with our simple total market index funds.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Missing out on what? I spend money to allow the lifestyle that I wish to live. I invest the rest. I have long ago determined that I can afford to max out my 401(k) (later, 403(b)) and still live that lifestyle, so I suppose I do that investment first and then spend. And when I became eligible for a 457 and MBR, I realized I was able to invest in those and still live the desired lifestyle I want.

It's been over a decade since there's been something I want to do and elected to not do because of the financial cost.

Unless you mean that I'd miss out on better investment returns if I invested differently? Maybe. I briefly wonder if I'd be able to do so. Ignoring the difficulty of that, I know how much time that would take me -- even if I could guarantee that spending that time would produce better returns, I wouldn't do it. I don't need the difference in money and I want to have the difference in time. "Good enough" investment returns -- and I have a fairly conservative asset allocation with age in bonds -- are sufficient for what I will need to get, in terms of return, to achieve my objectives. So all I'd be missing out on is spending time doing something I don't want to do to get something I don't need.

I'd rather spend my gambling time with football. I'm ahead of the game betting on the Cleveland Browns the past few years -- I doubt I'd achieve the same with the stock market, and I know I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Fun money. 5% or so of a portfolio to toss around in whatever.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

Whenever, I see a question here, like that--what it tells me is that you are not convinced in your current investment strategy. There were many here in late March 2020. If you were committed, these kinds of things dont enter your mind. The folks responding to you are committed to their investment strategy so it is probably a weird question to see.

I am not a BH, but I am committed to my own investment strategy so dont have this fear either. No matter what you decide your path is, once decided, once committed, you dont fear missing anything because your goals are aligned with your strategy.
Day9

Post by Day9 »

Facebook gOogle Microsoft amazOn?
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

An knowledge of financial history and it’s vagaries and unpredictability, a recognition of my own ignorance, an investment policy of sloth, inattention and frequent napping, and frequent and moderate doses of whiskey.

Happy coping to all

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
CardioMD

Post by CardioMD »

1) I fear nothing

2) I own the S&P 500 so the only thing I’ve “missed out on” is Tesla. I promise I won’t feel like I’ve “missed out” for long. I’ve seen this movie before.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

That is what my play money allocation is for!
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

I avoid FOMO by increasing buys during market crashes

I’ve been investing since the 1990s. I’ve increased buys during the dot com bust, credit crisis, US housing crash, and virus crisis

If I let cheap prices pass without buying, I would definitely feel that I missed out

I don’t experience FOMO during bull markets
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

You can cope with the temptation of FOMO by knowing you, by knowing what is right for you, by knowing what is enough, by believing in you and staying true to you, and by valuing this above all else when it comes not just to money, but to all of life. It's that simple, and that hard.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm That is what my play money allocation is for!
Exactly.
I bought about $10,000 of Apple on a dip last week, and then did a back-of-the-envelope calculation to see how much Apple I own in my various index funds. Including the 10k I bought last week, I own a bit more than $50k in Apple.

But by classifying my individual stock purchase as "play money," I get to remain a Boglehead :mrgreen:

I appreciate conversations with my 23-year-old. That way I know terms like FOMO, and I can feel like a somewhat cool 60-year-old.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

After chasing alpha for 23 years using mutual funds, managed futures, private real estate deals and hedge funds, I realized in retrospect I would have been better off just being in the S&P 500 all that time.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

well, the last 10 years of owning VTSAX was not MO... So stick with the total market funds through thick and thin and there will be long-term rewards
VTSAX and chill
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

newyorker wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:24 pm I didnt and I got burned with AAPL
You young whippersnapper

Bought 1 month’s salary of DEC options.
“Can’t miss”

Bought at 10
sold at 1/16.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CardioMD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:57 pm 2) I own the S&P 500 so the only thing I’ve “missed out on” is Tesla. I promise I won’t feel like I’ve “missed out” for long. I’ve seen this movie before.
Outperforming international stocks do exist. For example, from Jan 1996 - Aug 2020, ASML (a Dutch company), had a CAGR of 23.38% vs 9.25% for the S&P, turning $10K into $1,781,305 for ASML vs $88,599 for the S&P.
https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion1_1=100
CardioMD

Post by CardioMD »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:43 pm
CardioMD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:57 pm 2) I own the S&P 500 so the only thing I’ve “missed out on” is Tesla. I promise I won’t feel like I’ve “missed out” for long. I’ve seen this movie before.
Outperforming international stocks do exist. For example, from Jan 1996 - Aug 2020, ASML (a Dutch company), had a CAGR of 23.38% vs 9.25% for the S&P, turning $10K into $1,781,305 for ASML vs $88,599 for the S&P.
https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion1_1=100
The likelihood I would’ve picked that one, invested that amount at that time, and gotten out at the right time is next to none. While they exist, I’m rarely good at being right once let alone twice. Others call that “missing out”, I call it risk management.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CardioMD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:53 pm Others call that “missing out”, I call it risk management.
That's a quote right there! Love it.
Dennisl

Post by Dennisl »

By keeping it simple. Target date funds and balanced funds. Tune out the rest...although I do fantasize about if I had put all my money in my 401k into Tesla early in the year and cashed out... :twisted:
SVT

Post by SVT »

livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 am Easy: Retire about 5 to 10 years before all those others and Live The Dream.
I've wanted to invest in TSLA for years now. Never did (besides from index funds). Why? Because of this forum lol...hard to know exactly what would've happened (how much would I have bought exactly, would I have held on to this day (I think so), etc.) but I'd probably be a decamillionaire by now. I remember really really really wanting to put 10k into TSLA back before it's first run up in 2013. This forum and philosophy of investing has kept me from doing so. Talk about retiring early and live the dream.

Yes, I've still done well but cheese 'n rice livesoft!
Actin

Post by Actin »

SVT wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:59 pm
livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 am Easy: Retire about 5 to 10 years before all those others and Live The Dream.
I've wanted to invest in TSLA for years now. Never did (besides from index funds). Why? Because of this forum lol...hard to know exactly what would've happened (how much would I have bought exactly, would I have held on to this day (I think so), etc.) but I'd probably be a decamillionaire by now. I remember really really really wanting to put 10k into TSLA back before it's first run up in 2013. This forum and philosophy of investing has kept me from doing so. Talk about retiring early and live the dream.

Yes, I've still done well but cheese 'n rice livesoft!
Had a friend basically make 100k off Tesla. He sold it because he said there's no way a car company that barely makes any cars can be worth that much. That was two years ago. He could have quadrupled his money, but of all the companies right now, he firmly believes this company is "going to pull an Enron"