How to quit a job for retirement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
4nursebee

How to quit a job for retirement

Post by 4nursebee »

How did you do it? Regular give notice stuff? Walk out or phone it in?

Life has really changed for us, on a small vacation now. I’d really like to not ever work for someone else again. No particular bad feelings but work generally sucks having enough money. Part of me would rather not deal with 2-4 weeks of boredom,questions, negative emotions. I’m young enough to be thought of as needing to work another 15 years.

Thinking it over but would love to just call in retired.
Pale Blue Dot

Re: How to quit a job for retirement

Post by 000 »

Many will say you "should" or "must" give 2, 4, or 52 weeks notice, but (assuming at will employment) you can probably do whatever you want.
yohac

Post by yohac »

I've had jobs where they required notice, otherwise no pay for unused PTO. Calling in retired sounds like a better daydream than a plan. But hey, it's your life.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Talk to HR. Maybe there is an option to let you retire and have some benefits. Sometimes they will cover Cobra, give a severance package, you never know. How long have you been there? I lucked out, they had a layoff and I was ready to go (no I did not know or have a choice) But a coworker "retired" a month before, and got the same package.
klondike

Post by klondike »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:11 pm How did you do it? Regular give notice stuff? Walk out or phone it in?

Life has really changed for us, on a small vacation now. I’d really like to not ever work for someone else again. No particular bad feelings but work generally sucks having enough money. Part of me would rather not deal with 2-4 weeks of boredom,questions, negative emotions. I’m young enough to be thought of as needing to work another 15 years.

I have a colleague just left his badge and laptop on his desk, called in quit shortly BEFORE scheduled RSU vest and bonus check. That's a lot of money on the table. I think this is a way to say [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek].

Of course I personally won't do that. I will notify my boss to arrange a transition plan if necessary. I don't hate my job since I became FI.
Rwsavory

Post by Rwsavory »

"Employment at Will" works both ways. But 2 weeks notice would be courteous.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

No point in leaving $s on the table IF it's worth it e.g. if you do a 4 week transition plan you get an extra $20k payout from different things... bonuses, PTO, milestones for retirement benefits, etc. could be worth "playing the game" and getting a little extra if you can be bothered...
yules

Post by yules »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:11 pm How did you do it? Regular give notice stuff? Walk out or phone it in?

Yeah, you don’t owe anyone anything by law, but if it isn’t so bothersome for you, put a little less misery into the world and just let your company know you are leaving, and give a little notice instead of just not coming back. There probably are good people you’re leaving behind who will be put through the wringer trying to figure out how to bridge your departure. I’m not saying you have to give a month, or even 2 weeks, but maybe a week so you can tell everyone where stuff is before you go.

Just my 2 cents.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

I am 18 months from having my retirement benefits fully vest. Those benefits may be under-whelming, but I sure ain't walkin' out before then. I plan to work beyond that another 2-3 years... maybe 4 years more in total. The flip side is I have no idea how long they'll want to keep me (but surviving 25 years at a company that's been downsizing all along gives me hope I might have what it takes to go another 4).

Now, if someone were to drop a million on my lap, well... I'd probably still try to finish the 18 months because I hate leaving a chunk of change unclaimed, but I'd be gone the day after I vested. Make it two million and I'm giving notice tomorrow.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Don't run away with your tail between your legs. Leave with your head held high. What are you afraid or ashamed of?
Walk -- Don't Run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0

Post by 123 »

You have every right to just up and quit. Write a letter of resignation and be done with it. Goodbye. That said state law may make a difference on how any additional compensation you may be due will be paid. You've got COBRA since that's Federal. If your work was in California you're golden, their laws protect employees. Other states may differ considerably.

If you write a letter of resignation it's likely best to say simply "I resign effective (date). I have decided to pursue other endeavors. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your team and I wish you all well. Any necessary forms or other materials may be mailed to my address of record."
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

In January 2009, I announced that I would retire at the end of the year, but if they wanted me to leave before I said that would not be a problem. As it was in June, I said that I would like to move my date up to Sept 30, and that actually was the date I left.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

There's no single answer that's right for everyone. It's really a judgement call based on your relationship with your employer & co-workers and how they've treated other folks who have retired or resigned.

In my case, I gave about 4 months notice to my boss when I decided to retire. It allowed time to plan the transition and to give extra training to the folks who would be taking on my responsibilities. But the management I had was pretty good-natured & employee turnover wasn't seen as a problem. It might be different where you are. If your boss is the type who will react to your announcement by making you pack up your belongings then & there and shoving you out the door, then don't say anything until you're ready to have that happen.

As for just calling up & saying "I'm not coming back", well that also is a judgement call. Personally I would not have felt good about doing that, I would have given at least 2 weeks regardless. But again, it depends on what sort of relationship you have with the people you work with - mine was pretty good, so I would not have wanted to cause problems for them by doing that.
Last edited by Gryphon on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Never burn bridges.

Take your manager aside and give him or her a brief note with your two week notice. Paper is preferable since that gives the company proof that you resigned. It is OK to give it Monday morning saying that your last day will be Friday of the following week.

Keep it short and just say that you are leaving and you will end your employment at the end of the day on (date). A sentence or two is all that should be in it. Do not rant or try to give any constructive criticism. You can verbally say that you would like to end early and they may very well agree to move up the date. Depending on the situation they could also try to make it worth your while to stay a bit longer.

One thing to be aware of is that at many(but not all) companies your healthcare will be paid through the end of the month when you employment ends. This means that if your last day is in early September then you may have health insurance paid through the end of September if your company works that way. That might save you a month of health insurance costs.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Interesting thread. When I decided to retire from Megacorp, I just told my immediate functional Manager, the Manager and Director of the area that I was supporting and my assigned HR rep. I told them that I didn't plan to make any formal retirement announcements and I would leave it up to them to inform anybody that they felt needed to know. Fortunately, I "snuck" out without ever enduring a bunch of interrogations by bored colleagues. After over three decades, there were about 10 - 20 people that I either considered friends or people that I should say goodbye to. Several were members of the bargaining unit (including a custodian whose path I had crossed many times). I just sent them all an email my last day wishing them well and saying goodbye. I grew to detest the idea of "announcing your own retirement," which some wore like some kind of merit badge for months before they left, driving many others nuts in the process.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I gave many years of notice - talked about it with co-workers all the time. I think most people were interested in learning about the details of the process since they'd be doing it to some day. Except for the exact day, my retirement was driven by vesting rules, and I retired the month I vested. As circumstances turned out I would have retired one month later than I actually did, because I had more vacation days at the end than I'd planned on, but you had to state your retirement date months in advance, and changing wasn't something I wanted to deal with.
shess

Post by shess »

I gave 2 months notice, after ~15 years, the last ~10 with my then-current team. I was feeling burnt out, and those two months were some of the best days I had had for years at work. It wasn't because it was all going-away parties and stuff, it was more that I'd talk to someone about some area of responsibility I had accumulated, and could walk out knowing that that was done, now. So lots of psychic weight off my shoulders.

The only thing I'd really have changed is that I left late in the month, if I had stayed another week I'd have gotten another month of health insurance paid for. Live and learn.
Pessimist55

Post by Pessimist55 »

Time it to maximize rsu vest, espp schedule, 401k match, annual bonus payout, pension if it exists. Maybe work out a severance agreement but that's wishful thinking.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Unless you have a contract that requires it, or you work in some special field where more notice is expected, like medicine where you need to pass off patients to a new doctor, then two weeks is all that you should give. The company can always ask you to stay longer if they will really need you.

I know someone that thought that he would do the company a favor by giving two months notice. The company said "no thanks, two weeks will be fine your last day will be in two weeks." The company did not want a short-timer hanging around for too long and causing moral problems. That put the guy into a bind since it would be two months until he had scheduled his next job to start so he had a big gap income that he had not planned on.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Watty wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 pm Unless you have a contract that requires it, or you work in some special field where more notice is expected, like medicine where you need to pass off patients to a new doctor, then two weeks is all that you should give. The company can always ask you to stay longer if they will really need you.

I know someone that thought that he would do the company a favor by giving two months notice. The company said "no thanks, two weeks will be fine your last day will be in two weeks." The company did not want a short-timer hanging around for too long and causing moral problems. That put the guy into a bind since it would be two months until he had scheduled his next job to start so he had a big gap income that he had not planned on.
Yep.
"I am indispensable."
"I will be difficult to replace."
"I have to train a replacement if my employer ever finds a qualified one."
"My employer will hit a rough patch after I 'm gone."
Cemeteries are full of indispensable people.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Speaking only for myself...

In Canada severance is significant for employees with tenure

Typically 1 month salary per year of service capping out at 24 months (ie. 2 years of salary in lieu of notice)

I would never quit, retire, resign, or change jobs

Severance first. Then whatever

I’ve taken severance 3 times in my career including my last job before I retired

In the US, workers are employed “at will” so employee tenure is effectively worthless
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Thanks everyone.
I am an hourly employee already vested in stuff.
I have 10 weeks time off to worry about but not a deal breaker.
My employer downsized pre COVID, had company police walk people out immediately after they were told.
“Negotiating” for anything is not an option.
I am a bit concerned about working my time out and needing to explain myself to people that live paycheck to paycheck.
Pale Blue Dot
Watty

Post by Watty »

4nursebee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 am I am a bit concerned about working my time out and needing to explain myself to people that live paycheck to paycheck.
You do not need to tell anyone, including the company, that you are retiring.

You can just say that you have an another opportunity that you can't or don't want to discuss.

If they press you just say that it is a complicated situation.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

Why do u need to let them know u are retiring? Seriously.

Why cant you just say, "I need to leave/quit for personal reasons" and quietly quit/leave. Honestly, noone will probably care. They will hire some other person to do ur job and life will move on.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:23 pm
Watty wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 pm Unless you have a contract that requires it, or you work in some special field where more notice is expected, like medicine where you need to pass off patients to a new doctor, then two weeks is all that you should give. The company can always ask you to stay longer if they will really need you.

Yep.
"I am indispensable."
"I will be difficult to replace."
"I have to train a replacement if my employer ever finds a qualified one."
"My employer will hit a rough patch after I 'm gone."
Cemeteries are full of indispensable people.
Lol so true!! I remember one guy I used to work thought what he did was super complicated and only he knew how to do it, so when he left, he made sure everyone was aware that the next person replacing him will never be as good as he is. A new guy shows up, young kid compared to rest of us, figures out whole system in a month and does even better job now than the guy who left. Those youngsters coming up nowdays are to watch out for I say lol
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Stop coming in.

See how long it takes for them to notice and stop paying you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

flaccidsteele wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:56 pm
Speaking only for myself...

In Canada severance is significant for employees with tenure
Do you get severance even if you resign?
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

My employer offered to pay 55+ and older with 10+ yrs of service 1 years of salary to voluntarily leave. I was ready, so I took it. I had to stay for 3 months and implement a transition plan.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I gave nine months notice. But I was an expat and needed to help find and transition a replacement and repatriate. And when I got back, I extended my date another 15 months as a favor.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

Why not start calling out sick and burning some days? Maybe taking some time off will give you a refresh.

I agree with many of the above - no one will likely notice nor care one way or another. You are replaceable, as we all are. Once you’ve accepted that, your perspective will change.
VTI and chill until 57...
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

During tough times, sometimes companies have voluntary separation programs. My company did that earlier in the year and a bunch of people who were close to retirement jumped on it immediately. Package was OK, but since they were going to retire anyway, it was a win. Biggest problem is that they don't happen all the time and those programs actually coinciding with someone's retirement plans is rare.

Some companies request notification on paper. Others don't care, they just need to know in some form so that they can start the logistical procedures.

Really depends on the company culture and relationship with management, but a colleague in my office gave a full year's notice. It gave people plenty of time to prepare, work to hire his replacement, and for his boss to plan for no raise or RSU's for him that year which could have gone to somebody else. Unless something happens to me involuntarily, this is my plan.

If you have a sense that there's an impending layoff and you have a good relationship with your boss, you can always ask to be on the list. Worse they can do is say "no" and the best is that you get a package. It's been known to work.

Even if you're so well set that there is a 100% chance you'll never work again, it's still not a good idea to burn bridges, no matter how compelling the fantasy sequence in your mind is where you're telling everybody what you really think as you're walking out the door. :D

Cheers.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I was in very large (27K employees) municipal government and had been in the same Department/Division my entire career. I was going to retire in my 29th year as staying for 30 had no meaningful benefit and I had my number. Despite being in that group my full term I had received 6 promotions and numerous meaningful cash awards. Any additional promotion would have been to a politically sensitive position and I didn't want that. I very much liked what I did and had a trouble free professional staff. My working relationship with my report to was excellent, as well as the next two levels. I provided roughly 2 years advisement of my intent to retire in year 29 ...... and was already in a D.R.O.P program for pre-retirees. A year in advance of my departure I confirmed what year I would be leaving in and narrowed the range to a several month span to be identified date specificthe first of that year.
I recognize working full term in one place is a pretty rare bird and I did have a unique relationship and was very well respected with and by multiple levels in the reporting chain. Despite all the advance notice it still took them a year to go through the personnel process and fill the position. It is what it is and for me I did it right. Every situation is different, do what you think is right and fair to all.
jw50

Post by jw50 »

Try to leave on good terms. Do not burn your bridge if not necessary.

Apply not just to this job but in life!
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

In my line of work it happens two ways...either the AD or President calls you and says we are going in a different direction ( which is code for your not winning enough OR you have pissed off the boosters or Your agent has found you a better gig and YOU call the AD or President and give them the same line basically. One thing I have NEVER done is to bad mouth or bite the hand that has fed me. DONT burn that bridge on the way up cause you might see it again on the way down. Long road that dont have a curve. Show some class..walk out with purpose and dont look back...

NOW...during the covid wars my wife was fired at the hospital when they needed to reduce staff and they fired her over the phone in a 2 minute call and that was that....SO...I can see why people tell the boss to F Off and walk...but as an RN with 30 years under her belt it took her almost a full day to find a new job...these are CRAZY times!!!
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

After 30 years with my company, I realized my technical skills were no longer sufficient to continue my job in management. During a quiet, private moment off site over drinks with my supervisor, I advised him in late 2018, that 2019 would be my last with the company. I asked him to keep it between us and his boss for the next six months,so word wouldn't get out and we could begin to groom my replacement. This company hired me when I was rebounding from a disastrous foray into another line of work, and I was desperate to get back into an industry I was suited for. They appreciated my discretion and loyalty, and were kind, generous and willing to accommodate me until retirement at the end of the year. I realize this doesn't work for everyone, but I'm old school and couldn't envision handling this any other way.
"Dream, Dare, Do."
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

My employer offered a substantial bonus if an employee gave anywhere from 6-12 months notice of retirement. The theory was that then the employer would have time to properly manage replacing the retiree. When they announced this policy, I was approaching Medicare age and already planing to retire in 14 months, so I gave 1+ year notice of retirement.

Fast forward to 1 month prior to my retirement date. My employer had not presented me with a replacement to train, and so far as I could determine they hadn't planned for my succession. With 2-3 weeks to retirement, the HR manager asked me if I would delay my retirement for a few months. I declined and retired as scheduled.

Several months later, the company asked me to come back as a contractor at about 2.5 times my previous compensation. The manufacturing section that I ran had steadily gone downhill since my departure. So after a short retirement, I "consulted" for 10 additional months at a much higher level of compensation, and with way less headaches than I had when I was a salaried employee. I then re-retired with a nice addition to my retirement nest egg. The only downside - I made so much additional $ that planned IRA-to-Roth conversions were impacted and I couldn't avoid IRMAA.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Some people give notice and are shown to the door immediately. Did that ever happen where you work?

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I gave a two week notice before I left. I was 40 when I "retired," but I was really becoming a SAHP. The last two weeks were mostly spent chatting with coworkers, organizing files/cleaning my desk and leaving the office exactly at five. No replacement was found until a few weeks later, but I made sure all the documentation, procedures, etc. were organized and in place. I hear you on the negativity though. I got comments about how "lucky" I was, how nice it was to be married, giving up a career, etc. Everyone seemed to have an opinion. Oh well, people didn't know our finances. I'm not the type to just call in and quit though. I wouldn't feel good about that. Besides, I thought I might go back to work PT in the future (I didn't) and didn't want to burn bridges.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Dave55 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 am Some people give notice and are shown to the door immediately. Did that ever happen where you work?

Dave
Only in technology areas where proprietary development information was accessible (and rarely in other areas where there might be some kind of risk). Technical people understood that this would be the norm. It was done in a civil way. There were other policies that defined these areas (limited key access, no-phone rules, no USB or other connections on computers ....)
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:46 am Stop coming in.

See how long it takes for them to notice and stop paying you.
Wasn't there a news story a few years back about this? Seems a low level British bureaucrat simply quit showing up for work and it was seven years before s/he was officially "let go".
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

My plan is to give 2 weeks but offer to work part time for a much longer period (~3 months or until they find my replacement). If they don't want me part time then it's just 2 weeks.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

If you're really retiring there will be forms you'll need to complete to activate your retirement benefits. Better to do it while you're still there.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
maroon

Post by maroon »

Hi OP! Why not give two weeks' notice while on vacation, and have your vacation extend as long as possible? I did that - I went on vacation, emailed my notice, and had a week left in the office after coming back from vacation to wrap things up. (In my case, the director knew I was planning to leave, so my resignation was not a surprise.)

Side note: I was in charge of a unit and thought I'd be difficult to replace. Not so. The director reassigned much of my job responsibilities to the head of another unit and hired a junior staffer for the rest. Shortly after I left, another senior manager resigned and she wasn't replaced, either - all her duties were distributed to lower-level employees. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about the best way to give notice. Your employer quite possibly cares less about you than you do about them (no offense intended).
Last edited by maroon on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I had a large RSU vest coming, so I gave 2 weeks notice the day after the RSU’s vested.

If I didn’t have that and was already on vacation, I might call HR, tell them the situation, and ask how to give notice now.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

There are really two considerations in my view. First, do you want to retire with dignity, class and respect for your colleagues and your employer or just "quit" and walk out the door?

Second, assuming you want to take the high road, give enough notice to leave a sufficient period of time during which you can assist your colleagues and employer to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible. If you have been employed there for a substantial number of years (and thus acquired valuable "institutional knowledge") and have a high level of responsibility, then the transition period would probably need to be longer than an employee who has no supervisory, management or planning responsibilities. Only you can decide where in that spectrum you fall. I'd say if you have little or no management or supervisory responsibility give at least a few weeks notice but if you are a long-term employee (10+ years) and have substantial executive or management responsibilities, give at least a few month's notice.

Having seen people "retire" both ways, those who demonstrated contempt for their job, colleagues or employer and just "walked away" with little or no notice were always remembered for that final act even to the extent that it overshadowed what was perhaps years of achievement and success. That last impression made a lasting impression.

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming retirement! Welcome to the club... :beer
coingaroo

Post by coingaroo »

Two weeks of collecting a check but not really having much responsibility isn't bad. I'd give notice.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

None of the above. My company offered me an early retirement package that I couldn't resist.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
joshuahuskers

Post by joshuahuskers »

If you will honestly never have to work again, I'd have no problem just telling them "I'm retiring tomorrow." Not like they would give you 2-4 weeks to find a new job if they were going to lay you off...

Now having said that, that's also a good way to burn a bridge and lose a reference should you need it down the road.

Just my .02.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I get it. Assuming you are a nurse, the world of covid makes practicing medicine very hard and you don’t want to set foot into that space ever again. I feel very similar to you and in a similar position able to retire young (mid 40s.)

Pre-covid I like my job after I transitioned to part time. If you told me that medicine would be like it is today for ever, I would quit tomorrow. But, for now I am sticking with it. Part time with the hope that 6-9 months from now life will be relatively back to normal.

To answer your question, you should give a minimum 2 weeks or whatever your contract demands because morally it is the right thing to do so your supervisor can begin planning for your transition.

Some other options may be going part time or taking medical leave so that you can decompress. I think and hope that the future is better than the present. Good luck with your decision.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (career guidance, retirement planning).

joshuahuskers, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.