Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Nice! Cool looking birds.

One thing I love about this thread is that I learn about new bird species from people in other parts of the country. :happy
Yes, I agree, it's fun to learn that others have such diverse bird populations where they live.

Today I was in my kitchen looking for food :mrgreen: and I kept hearing the call of a bird I didn't recognize. Then :idea: I checked my link to the Moorhen (Gallinule) bird sound and found that yes, it was the call of the Moorhen I was hearing. I live on a Florida waterway/canal and we have all kinds of water birds.

https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species ... troduction
I looked on the Cornell University map to see where they live and breed. None in the west except southern CA and Mexico. :|

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Com ... maps-range
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Hummingbirds on our new feeder gizmo just outside our kitchen window.
(Canon 5D MkIV 80-210 "L")

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:56 pm Hummingbirds on our new feeder gizmo just outside our kitchen window.
(Canon 5D MkIV 80-210 "L")

Great photos! Thanks for posting. :happy
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

On my most recent trip, Blue Herons and Canada Geese. And some wild mustangs. Sorry, probably not very exciting for you birders.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:35 pm On my most recent trip, Blue Herons and Canada Geese. And some wild mustangs. Sorry, probably not very exciting for you birders.
Very cool on the wild mustangs! I have heard there are several herds scattered in the west.

I saw a Great Blue Heron last night - really beautiful, especially when they take flight. :happy

Yesterday I saw a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

I have been visiting Louisville, KY for the past few months and the bird wildlife here is incredible. As I sit typing this I hear birds excitedly chirpping outside at a happy pace. I do not know many of the species yet, but the magnificent Cardinal abounds. I get great joy seeing these beautiful and vibrant red creatures flying in all different directions constantly.

The abundance of these birds are incredible. Whenever I talk to someone on the phone, within seconds the person on the line comments on how loudly (in a good way ), that the birds are chirping.

My MIL is at an assisted living facility here and she has a bird feeder outside her first floor window. We visit her everyday and fill the bird feeder. The next day it is always empty! Fun. By the way ours is not the only feeder there, there are at least 6 more. My MIL enjoys the lively activity so that is rewarding.

If you love birds, Louisville is tops.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

minesweep wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:26 am
Ivygirl wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:29 pm House finches appeared for the first time at my feeder. I would not have recognized the juveniles for what they were except papa finch was feeding them. Mama finch showed up later. I was so excited I bought a "finch feeder" but they wouldn't approach it. Evidently house finches can't hang upside down to feed and need a perch so this isn't the right feeder for them.

I'd like to encourage the doves, but I'm afraid the cats would get them, doves are so silly and so edible.
The upside down thistle feeder is specifically designed to cater to the goldfinches. It’s the perfect feeder for making sure they get their food undisturbed.
My brother tells me that the goldfinches love the Nyjer Plus (Nyjer seeds and hulled sunflower seed chips) that he puts in his upside down thistle feeder. The only place I know that sells it is Lowe's but they are out of stock in their stores around here. They said there would be some coming around July 20 (still waiting). I noticed that 1it received 5 stars (138 reviews).
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

All 3 of our barn swallow chicks fledged yesterday. They are all flying around like crazy with mom today looking for flying critters to eat. Soon they will begin their journey to Mexico for the winter.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 pm Had to share this one:

Hummingbird Emits High Pitched Snores While Asleep

David
Terrific!
We have swarms of hummingbirds at our porch feeder every morning. Impressive colors! Tiny chirping sound.

j :happy
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Living in a first ring suburb in a fairly busy area ( office buildings across the street) i didn’t expect to see 4-6 turkeys with lots of little ones crossing the street into m front yard. The parents are ugly, the chicks(?) are cute.

I have cellphone pics so if I can find a public place to place them and provide a link I will do so.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The hummers are stoking up for the trip south. I increased the sugar from 4:1 to 3:1. By mid September they will be gone along with most of the Ospreys.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 pm Had to share this one:

Hummingbird Emits High Pitched Snores While Asleep

David
LOL. So cute!
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Bald eagles and Osprey - pretty high up and calling.
azumagaoka

Post by azumagaoka »

Went to Madera Canyon, AZ and saw our first Elegant Trogon (along with quite a few hummingbirds we've never seen before) in late July.
Would recommend this area to anyone who's interested in birds :happy well worth the trip!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

azumagaoka wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:45 pm Went to Madera Canyon, AZ and saw our first Elegant Trogon (along with quite a few hummingbirds we've never seen before) in late July.
Would recommend this area to anyone who's interested in birds :happy well worth the trip!
Very cool! I'm not familiar with the Elegant Trogon - very beautiful!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ele ... n/overview
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bighatnohorse wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:20 am Bald eagles and Osprey - pretty high up and calling.
The eagles are opportunists. They will mug an Osprey and steal his fish, sometimes working in pairs (one eagle harasses and the other catches the fish dropped by the Osprey.) Our Osprey mostly disappear in mid-late September so the eagles have to fend for themselves at that point.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I think this Raven is an Italian mobster type from New York.

"You lookin' at me?"
"What ya gonna do about it?"
"You got a problem or somethin'?"
(600 mm)
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:48 am I think this Raven is an Italian mobster type from New York.

"You lookin' at me?"
"What ya gonna do about it?"
"You got a problem or somethin'?"
(600 mm)
What a great Raven photo! Thanks for posting. :happy
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

This morning from right outside of our front window my wife and I counted 7 Wood Thrushes eating ripe Dogwood berries - fattening up during migration time.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am Image

This morning from right outside of our front window my wife and I counted 7 Wood Thrushes eating ripe Dogwood berries - fattening up during migration time.

David
Amazing photo!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

It has been a very dry (drought) the last two months. The flowers, fewer than in a normal year, don't have much nectar obviously. Our hummingbirds normally start their migration within a couple of days from October 15. They are already gone this year, so early, but nectar is gone. I last saw them on October 3.
See you next May, beautiful creatures.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am Image

David
Beautiful!
Thanks!
j :D :D

What camera and lens?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sheepdog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am It has been a very dry (drought) the last two months. The flowers, fewer than in a normal year, don't have much nectar obviously. Our hummingbirds normally start their migration within a couple of days from October 15. They are already gone this year, so early, but nectar is gone. I last saw them on October 3.
See you next May, beautiful creatures.
Same here. The hummingbirds went south a couple weeks ago so I took the feeders down. So fun to watch. :happy
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:49 pm
Beautiful!
Thanks!
j :D :D

What camera and lens?
The picture is just a photo grab from the 'All About Birds' website.

David
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I just saw my first 2 Dark-eyed Juncos that arrive for the fall and winter season. :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I saw my first Townsend's Solitaire of the year. :happy They love juniper berries and are shy birds. I don't see them often. They have a white eye ring similar to a Robin.

Cornell shows they are primarily in the western US and Canada.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tow ... e/overview

"The Townsend’s Solitaire is an elegant, wide-eyed songbird of western-mountain forests. Their drab gray plumage gets a lift from subtly beautiful buffy wing patches and a white eyering. Though they're thrushes, they perch upright atop trees and shrubs to advertise their territories all year long, and can easily be mistaken for flycatchers. Their sweet jumbling song gives them away and enlivens their evergreen forest and juniper woodland homes. In winter they switch from eating primarily insects to eating fruit, particularly juniper berries."
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Yay, my bluejays came back this weekend. The were here last fall for a month or so too.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

MrBobcat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:56 pm Yay, my bluejays came back this weekend. The were here last fall for a month or so too.
Nice! They've been in my area for about a month now. Love peanuts :happy .

I've been seeing large flocks of Robins and a lot of Northern Flickers as well. I usually see the flocks of Robins in the spring. So cheerful to listen to.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Trumpeter Swan pairs today in Bloomington MN.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

nordsteve wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:20 pm Trumpeter Swan pairs today in Bloomington MN.
Wow! How lucky. :happy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Big news for us is that we have attracted Eastern Bluebirds to our suburban dwelling. There are plenty of pine trees, primarily as privacy screens between properties which attract and hold numerous birds. A bluebird house was placed in service this year and the bluebirds are flocking to it and even entering it...seems odd in October (NW Indiana) as it is assumed there will be no more broods. Bluebirds are fed each morning with live mealworms which are usually consumed within an hour.

Other birds at the feeder include Blackcap Chickadee, Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse...these three are dominant at this time. Others include Cardinals, BlueJays, House Finches and Goldfinches.

There are a few Robins but not so many...probably have headed south. Hummingbirds were last seen two weeks ago...very active until then.

Red fox (mammal) has been in the neighborhood, adding more viewing pleasure.

Ed
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MP173 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:37 pm Big news for us is that we have attracted Eastern Bluebirds to our suburban dwelling. There are plenty of pine trees, primarily as privacy screens between properties which attract and hold numerous birds. A bluebird house was placed in service this year and the bluebirds are flocking to it and even entering it...seems odd in October (NW Indiana) as it is assumed there will be no more broods.
Bluebirds are naturally curious and they will check out potential homes even in the off season. In the late winter/early spring they will start shopping in earnest. We have two boxes. Sometimes only one gets used but in good years we have fledged 15+ birds.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've been chasing away a pair of downy woodpeckers. They're beautiful birds, but pecking at the house to build a nest isn't cool with me. I seem to see the 2 ends of sizes of woodpeckers. Downys are the smallest and Pileated are the biggest. Both are around quite a bit.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Nuthatches have started showing up. It's too soon for suet, so they're perching on the tube seed feeders.

The bird feeder activity also attracts animals that feed off the discarded seed. I routinely have rabbits, squirrels, and a ground hog. It's nature's food chain in action.

The next level up in the food chain just visited. A fox tried (and missed) to have squirrel for dinner.

I also have a sharp-shin hawk around, but I haven't seen him in a while.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm Nuthatches have started showing up
going to be a big year for Red Breasted Nuthatches. They are showing up in a lot of places. I hear them on my daily walks and they come to our feeder. White-Breasted and Brown-Headed nest around here so they never leave but the RBNHs for some reason come and go - and some years they are almost non-existent around here.

Also seems to be a big year for Pine Siskins.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm Nuthatches have started showing up. It's too soon for suet, so they're perching on the tube seed feeders.

The bird feeder activity also attracts animals that feed off the discarded seed. I routinely have rabbits, squirrels, and a ground hog. It's nature's food chain in action.

The next level up in the food chain just visited. A fox tried (and missed) to have squirrel for dinner.

I also have a sharp-shin hawk around, but I haven't seen him in a while.
I've had quite a few red-breasted nuthatches for about 6 weeks. Fun to watch them climb up the tree. :happy

There have been a few bear sightings in my area lately so if they come closer, I'll bring in the bird food at night. :shock:

I had a couple of chipmunks last month. So cute.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

MrBobcat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:56 pm Yay, my bluejays came back this weekend. The were here last fall for a month or so too.
We have bluejays all year round. We feed them black oil sunflower seeds all year too. It’s the favorite of many songbirds. I’m in the upper Midwest.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We have Bluejays year round as well but large flocks migrate through here in the fall heading south. I've seen flocks of 300-500 (hard to count when so many) passing through with the hawks.

Juncos just arrived here today. They will suck up the seed all winter. I have 150 pounds on order to pick up Wednesday so that should carry me most of the way through the winter.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Northern Goshawk flying through the yard with the backdrop of the snow covered Chugach mountains getting the sunset Alpenglow this evening. Spectacular and beautiful bird! Not easily found or seen, just a lucky sighting.
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bruce wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:15 pm Northern Goshawk flying through the yard with the backdrop of the snow covered Chugach mountains getting the sunset Alpenglow this evening. Spectacular and beautiful bird! Not easily found or seen, just a lucky sighting.
Very cool! I would love to see one of those.

Also, for anyone missing their hummers, you can see them at the West Texas feeders on Cornell's webcam:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/west ... mingbirds/
agbp

Post by agbp »

We are seeing lots of Pine Siskins at our feeders recently (in NC). There is an irruption going on this fall. The Audubon Society has a story titled "Pine Siskins Have Taken Over the Country" https://www.audubon.org/news/-pine-sisk ... -fall-2020

The regulars (Carolina wrens, chickadees, titmice, cardinals, bluebirds, goldfinches, house finches, etc.) are wondering what the heck is going on! :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

agbp wrote: We are seeing lots of Pine Siskins at our feeders recently (in NC). There is an irruption going on this fall. The Audubon Society has a story titled "Pine Siskins Have Taken Over the Country" https://www.audubon.org/news/-pine-sisk ... -fall-2020

The regulars (Carolina wrens, chickadees, titmice, cardinals, bluebirds, goldfinches, house finches, etc.) are wondering what the heck is going on! :D
This is what I like about the Bogleheads - I learn new words. What is an "irruption?"
If you've never seen a Pine Siskin, this is your year. In the past month, the birds have invaded the United States in search of food, inundating backyard feeders across the country. Without question, it's one of the biggest irruption years in recorded history for the finches.
What is a bird irruption?
An irruption is the sudden change in the population density of an organism. When speaking of birds, irruptions refer to the movement of northern-wintering species to the south in years of low food availability.
Apparently, there just aren't enough conifer seeds in Canada and the finches are coming south 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yesterday was the first hard freeze of the season, so I put out my suet feeder.

The first customer was a red belly woodpecker who proceeded to ignore the suet and eat from the seed feeder. A short while later, he figured it out and went for the suet.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Rare view of a Black-headed Grosbeak in next county over yesterday. Rarely seen in the east. Repeatedly visiting feeders at a private home.

Photo by another birder present:

minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm
We have bluejays all year round. We feed them black oil sunflower seeds all year too. It’s the favorite of many songbirds. I’m in the upper Midwest.
I feed blue jays unshelled peanuts. They love them, as well as the red-bellied woodpecker. When I'm outside both species let me know (vocally) when they're they are here for their treat. I don't put too many out at once because the blue jays hide them in nooks of trees where the squirrels can find them. I put the unshelled peanuts on the tray of a feeder that is protected by a baffle on the pole (so the squirrels can't get to them).

I even put the unshelled peanuts in the peanut feeders. The downy woodpecker seems to prefer them from the peanut feeder. The invasive nuisance English sparrows can't get them with their short beaks (but they can get at the shelled peanuts). The nuthatches & Carolina wrens can get to the unshelled peanuts from the peanut feeder as well.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

As of yesterday, we were still hearing (though, not seeing) a yellow-billed cuckoo in the woods behind our house.

In all probability that will change as of tonight - when the first freeze of the season is to take place.

David
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 pm Image

As of yesterday, we were still hearing (though, not seeing) a yellow-billed cuckoo in the woods behind our house.

In all probability that will change as of tonight - when the first freeze of the season is to take place.

David
What a beautiful, exotic-looking bird! The best birders can identify by ear. :happy
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 pm What a beautiful, exotic-looking bird! The best birders can identify by ear.
Sometimes the only option. In spring migration I'd guess that at least half of the warblers and flycatchers are ID'd with sound only once the trees leaf out. It takes a while to learn the calls. Becoming more challenging for me as my hearing is starting to become a bit impaired.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:09 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 pm What a beautiful, exotic-looking bird! The best birders can identify by ear.
Sometimes the only option. In spring migration I'd guess that at least half of the warblers and flycatchers are ID'd with sound only once the trees leaf out. It takes a while to learn the calls. Becoming more challenging for me as my hearing is starting to become a bit impaired.
True, sometimes sound is the only option! Today I heard a Belted Kingfisher and a few Blue Jays but didn't see them. Warblers and flycatchers are small and fast so even more difficult to see IMO. :happy