Is it safe to store financial statements in the cloud?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Is it safe to store financial statements in the cloud?

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Does anyone store their financial statements in the cloud and is it safe?

Microsoft OneDrive
Google Drive
Amazon S3 Bucket

etc...
Call_Me_Op

Re: Is it safe to store financial statements in the cloud?

Post by Call_Me_Op »

My rule has been to never place in the cloud anything where disclosure may have catastrophic consequences.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I would consider that by FAR the biggest risk is your account credentials being compromised and the files accessed that way. The major cloud storage providers are relatively secure against their own file systems being directly penetrated in a useful way. Using two factor authentication helps mitigate their first part a good bit.

Personally I use Sync for my financial and health docs because it has full end-to-end encryption. While Dropbox encrypts at their end, they still in theory have access, or a rogue employee could reset your password and break in. Using an external layer of encryption means only you are doing the encrypting and decrypting with a password only you know and which Sync cannot reset (in its most secure mode anyway).

Bottomline is that workers can rifle through your papers at your house. A random hacker might get into your computer at home and grab everything from your backup drive. I personally find off-site, encrypted, backed up cloud storage to be the best solution, along with my own encrypted backup drives that I rotate to a drawer at work occasionally.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 am My rule has been to never place in the cloud anything where disclosure may have catastrophic consequences.
I think that's fine but I'm sure the 25+ institutions that have had my info over the years don't abide by that policy and at some point they will get compromised. To me, it's more about the aftermath and how quickly I can put out the fire by having alerts and all that rather than trying to stop what I believe to be inevitable. Equifax for example.
simas

Post by simas »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 am
Call_Me_Op wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 am My rule has been to never place in the cloud anything where disclosure may have catastrophic consequences.
I think that's fine but I'm sure the 25+ institutions that have had my info over the years don't abide by that policy and at some point they will get compromised. To me, it's more about the aftermath and how quickly I can put out the fire by having alerts and all that rather than trying to stop what I believe to be inevitable. Equifax for example.
I am in this camp as well - how can I detect is the fastest way possible and deal with it.
your data already IS in the cloud , whether your not your statements are. Every company you deal with, dealt with, or will deal with has a database of all of your information, transactions, etc. Every one of those databases at every one of those companies is a risk even if you bring out every statement and burry them in secret location in unmarked field - your information is just as exposed.

I have backups of my data (rule of 3) using NAS at home, and I also send critical documents as backup (vs raw files) to google drive. backup is single file/container encrypted when stored , used when I need to bring data back into NAS if all local copies are destroyed (house fire ,etc).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mine are backed up to an online backup service which is encrypted. I don't have any need to place them in an online storage system.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
birdog

Post by birdog »

I don't use cloud storage. It just seems like a bad idea with all the compromises by bad actors. Especially when there are safer alternatives.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Check out this free service by Fidelity Labs (?)... fidsafe.com

Otherwise, if using Dropbox, etc, I would first encrypt the files/folder using something like TrueCrypt.. just make sure that you keep the keys safe on several places (office, home, other relative's PCs).

My 2cents.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Pax wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:33 am Check out this free service by Fidelity Labs (?)... fidsafe.com

Otherwise, if using Dropbox, etc, I would first encrypt the files/folder using something like TrueCrypt.. just make sure that you keep the keys safe on several places (office, home, other relative's PCs).

My 2cents.
Pax beat me to it, but if using a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, or Box Sync, simply keep all sensitive files in an encrypted container and put the encrypted container in your cloud folder.

Pax mentioned TrueCrypt, which for years was the go-to, free, strong encryption software. Several years ago, the creator stopped maintaining the project, and another open source developer continued the project as VeraCrypt. So, if you go this route, I'd download VeraCrypt, which is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

One thing to note is by default VeraCrypt hides the last edited date as a security measure and thus the cloud service won't know it has be updated and needs to re-upload. This setting is easily changed in the VeraCrypt preferences.

My personal setup is individual VeraCrypt containers for things like Health, Statements, and Taxes stored in a cloud folder as described above.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

I love paper, as I have said in other threads here. But of course I also have electronic records on my computer. I back up the computer to a hard drive that I keep in a fire safe at home, and also to an off-site drive at my workspace.
I agree with others that generic cloud storage for your entire treasure trove of sensitive information is not ideal from a security standpoint. The cloud storage of individual financial institutions, I assume, is more robust than Google Drive, for example. And as most people have their finances spread across multiple institutions, the compromise of any single institution is not as bad as someone finding all your records in one place. But I'm not in the computer security business so my opinion is that of an amateur observer.
ETA: Great idea to encrypt FIRST, then upload. I bet that makes it 99.9%+ safe.
:beer
Cheers
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We store nothing in the Cloud, something that Apple reminds of us almost daily on our IPhones.

Tim
student

Post by student »

As others have suggested, encrypt the documents first. I echo the suggestion of veracrypt.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:22 am Microsoft OneDrive
... is what I use.

In my opinion it is much safer than keeping paper statements at home, even if it's only the most recent statement you may have received by USPS mail and is now lying on your desk or perhaps kitchen table. Or maybe it's in your email account. Thieves only need one statement, not a big long history of statements.

Anyway, this information is already out there in some institution's cloud. OneDrive is just as well protected.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:22 am Does anyone store their financial statements in the cloud and is it safe?

Microsoft OneDrive
Google Drive
Amazon S3 Bucket

etc...
No, absolutely not.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

bertilak wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:02 am
... is what I use.

In my opinion it is much safer than keeping paper statements at home, even if it's only the most recent statement you may have received by USPS mail and is now lying on your desk or perhaps kitchen table. Or maybe it's in your email account. Thieves only need one statement, not a big long history of statements.

Anyway, this information is already out there in some institution's cloud. OneDrive is just as well protected.
Or having your mail just straight up stolen out of your mailbox. Something that has happened to people i personally know.

I don’t know anyone personally that has had their docs stolen out of Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Nope, that seems risky... if I did, I would probably be super paranoid and password protect the PDF AND further encrypt in a zip file AND then use some other kind of encryption (all probably overkill).
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

anon_investor wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:27 am Nope, that seems risky... if I did, I would probably be super paranoid and password protect the PDF AND further encrypt in a zip file AND then use some other kind of encryption (all probably overkill).
AND, having done all that, delete the file. Forensics will be able to dig up the prior versions anyway.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Financial institutions already have all your data stored in the cloud. So your own cloud storage is duplicating that. And who can say how many times any storage is actually multiplied, or where every access point is located?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

tetractys wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:02 am Financial institutions already have all your data stored in the cloud. So your own cloud storage is duplicating that. And who can say how many times any storage is actually multiplied, or where every access point is located?
Damned if you do, damned if you don't?
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

ScubaHogg wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 am
bertilak wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:02 am
... is what I use.

Or having your mail just straight up stolen out of your mailbox. Something that has happened to people i personally know.

I don’t know anyone personally that has had their docs stolen out of Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
All our "important" mail is sent to our PO box. Yes, I guess a USPS employee could steal that...
:|
Cheers
illumination

Post by illumination »

I would argue nothing is safe.

I'm almost positive a data breach happened from an internal leak at my bank. It involved a credit card for my business I had never used or even activated, but somehow the number was used for a huge amount of money on several transactions. It never even went in my wallet, I really see no other way then an internal breach. If your financial institution is compromised, there's almost no defense.

Having worked at a bank a long time ago, pretty much any employee can get any piece of sensitive info they want, and these people are not nearly as vetted as you would think. With all the offshoring and even prison call center operations, this stuff is just way too easy to get in the digital age.

I'm not saying that means you be cavalier with everything, I still am "over the top" careful, but "not" kee.ping your stuff in the cloud is not going to protect you either.

Keeping tabs on everything is a really good idea. Also, I froze my credit with all 3 agencies
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

I store important docs locally in a Veracrypt container which I manually copy to multiple locally connected external drives and to Google Drive weekly. I figure the cloud backup is insurance against a house fire or physical theft. While both are unlikely I've always been a belt and suspenders guy. Credit frozen too.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Is it safe to get in your car to drive to the grocery store? Some will say yes because a seat belt is being worn in a car with airbags and the driver is alert and capable, others will say it is not safe because there could be a drunk driver on the road or black ice or driver could have a stroke and crash car into a big tree and die. Security and safety always involve assessing, mitigating, and accepting risks.

We store encrypted data in the cloud and view it on multiple devices between multiple people. Our heirs have access to important documents like insurance policies. We have scanned copies of our passports so we could view them remotely if ever needed.

Data aggregators like a credit bureau are a much bigger target than I am and frankly in most cases the data they have is more sensitive than an account statement by itself.

If I was a high profile person likely to be targeted (e.g. I had a Wikipedia page or a Google search on my name showed I'm likely to be high interest) I would be much more careful. I might change this assessment in the future if I had new information.

You have to do what you are comfortable with, though. You may not get much value out of having documents in the cloud. Others do.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Reputable cloud storage providers should be about as secure as most people can reasonably get. They're kind of the digital equivalent of a properly installed quality safe. No safe is impervious to all threats, but there's only so much you can do. However, because there are so many digital threats out there, everyone should really be going out of their way to secure their login credentials at a minimum. You wouldn't set the code for your high-end safe at home to 1234, so don't do that with your passwords either. Use a password manager to generate and remember unique secure passwords and set up 2FA (although you need to be very aware of how to recover accounts should you lose or replace any hardware you use to authenticate with; I recently migrated from Google Authenticator to Authy because I ran into this issue and almost lost access to valuable accounts after upgrading my phone). Finally, consider using multiple safes, so if any one gets compromised, you don't lose everything. When it comes to things like FDIC insurance, there are per-account limits anyway.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I do keep some information in the cloud, but only that which is encrypted.

Hopefully Vanguard and TIAA are keeping my finances at least that safe.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I use iCloud Drive.

See here for discussion of how they protect your data:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Seems pretty secure to me. Having said that, I am not an IT expert of security expert.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:22 am Does anyone store their financial statements in the cloud and is it safe?

Microsoft OneDrive
Google Drive
Amazon S3 Bucket

etc...
In my financial planning business, I transfer all documents using a cloud provider between my clients and me. On my side I take quite a few precautions, then the client has the responsibility to secure their side of their account.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Count me in the yes, but encrypted crowd. I use an encrypted container for my personal and financial documents. I have that stored on a cloud service. That gives me automatic backups, easy availability on all of my computers, emergency availability anywhere, and security tight enough that I don't worry about whether my cloud provide has been hacked. I believe that it is safer than storing them unencrypted on your local machine or in paper forms, either of which are subject to disasters and theft.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I keep critial data in the cloud, like in LastPass for example, but the tradeoff with encrypted data is the danger of someone not being able to get to it when they need it, since it's yet another impediment - both for better and worse.

As for statement I think that's almost a non-issue, since for so many years we all received those via USmail, back when social security numbers and account numbers were printed on statements. Pretty regularly we've all received mail intended for other people so it's not like that's ever been super-secure. Many of us have had or still have relatively insecure physical mailboxes that anyone could steal anything out of.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Ice-9 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:40 am
Pax wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:33 am Check out this free service by Fidelity Labs (?)... fidsafe.com

My 2cents.
Pax beat me to it, but if using a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, or Box Sync, simply keep all sensitive files in an encrypted container and put the encrypted container in your cloud folder.

Pax mentioned TrueCrypt, which for years was the go-to, free, strong encryption software. Several years ago, the creator stopped maintaining the project, and another open source developer continued the project as VeraCrypt. So, if you go this route, I'd download VeraCrypt, which is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
This is the right way to go. Convenience of sync with and additional layer of encryption as protection.

CryptoMator is another alternative. https://cryptomator.org/
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack »

I use OneDrive extensively, along with LastPass.

OneDrive has a "personal vault" which is basically an encrypted container in your OneDrive storage. (I've never used it though... my stuff is just in the normal OneDrive space.)
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

tibbitts wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 pm Many of us have had or still have relatively insecure physical mailboxes that anyone could steal anything out of.
Your mailbox might be more secure than you think. Mailbox theft is a federal felony, with up to 5 years in prison and a $250k fine. That has to have some deterrence value. These days, it would be easy to setup a home security system with cameras directed at the mailbox. USPS has its own law enforcement arm and police officers to investigate crimes involving mail.

https://www.uspis.gov/
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

oldfort wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 pm
tibbitts wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 pm Many of us have had or still have relatively insecure physical mailboxes that anyone could steal anything out of.
Your mailbox might be more secure than you think. Mailbox theft is a federal felony, with up to 5 years in prison and a $250k fine. That has to have some deterrence value. These days, it would be easy to setup a home security system with cameras directed at the mailbox. USPS has its own law enforcement arm and police officers to investigate crimes involving mail.

https://www.uspis.gov/
Well, a small but non-zero percentage of time the USPS just puts your mail in someone else's box by mistake. For many years everyone in my apartment building received mail by having it placed on a stool in the barber shop downstairs. You just sorted through it and picked out yours. Today I have to remail items fairly often to neighbors that were accidentally delivered to me. Yes, you could set up a security system today, but not in the past when more damaging paperwork was more likely to be sent via USmail. Of course people are probably still getting their mail at the barber shop, and customers might not appreciate you recording them getting their hair cut.
beyou

Post by beyou »

My 2cents.

+ 1000

Encrypt your data and then backup encrypted data
to the cloud. A bit of extra work but secure.

Note Truecrypt is no longer actively supported and considered to have hypothetical security flaws. Veracrypt is similar and still supported.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

tibbitts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:23 am Well, a small but non-zero percentage of time the USPS just puts your mail in someone else's box by mistake. For many years everyone in my apartment building received mail by having it placed on a stool in the barber shop downstairs. You just sorted through it and picked out yours.
I've never had a situation like that my entire life. I've either had a standalone mailbox or a cluster box unit, where each individual tenant gets their own key.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Encrypted? Yes.
Unencrypted? So long as you pay for the service, cloud is based in USA, and ToS say you have privacy, yes.

You should still absolutely encrypt your sensitive data on your device, local backups, and cloud.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

ballons wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:21 am Encrypted? Yes.
Unencrypted? So long as you pay for the service, cloud is based in USA, and ToS say you have privacy, yes.
End-to-end encryption is what you want. Anything else is meaningless.
simmias

Post by simmias »

oldfort wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:39 am
tibbitts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:23 am Well, a small but non-zero percentage of time the USPS just puts your mail in someone else's box by mistake. For many years everyone in my apartment building received mail by having it placed on a stool in the barber shop downstairs. You just sorted through it and picked out yours.
I've never had a situation like that my entire life. I've either had a standalone mailbox or a cluster box unit, where each individual tenant gets their own key.
You've never had mail mis-delivered in your entire life? I hope you tip your unicorn of a postal delivery person handsomely during the holidays!
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

siriusblack wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:46 pm I use OneDrive extensively, along with LastPass.

OneDrive has a "personal vault" which is basically an encrypted container in your OneDrive storage. (I've never used it though... my stuff is just in the normal OneDrive space.)
OneDrive Personal Vault does give extra protection in the form of needing 2FA to access anything inside it, but as far as I can tell it is not end-to end encrypted. This is a subtle but important distinction.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I don't store any financial information in the cloud. I just don't see the need. I do all my financial operations from my home Linux machine. I never use mobile apps to access my investments or bank accounts except for the rare occasion when I wish to deposit a paper check, and the only time I use credit card mobile apps if when I'm traveling and want the ability to lock down a credit card if necessary. If I'm not at home for an extended period and can't access my machine to pay bills, they all have auto-pay set up as a fallback, so there's no need for me to have access while traveling. My critical information is backed up monthly onto a USB stick that I keep in the home safe, so cloud storage for disaster prevention is not a factor.

Sure, our information is out there. I understand that. But I don't see any reason to make it worse than it already is. If one has need, then I suppose that one would have to balance the need against the risk. I don't have the need, so why take the risk?
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
avenger

Post by avenger »

I store all my information in the cloud. Although unlikely, my information could be stolen. But it’s so convenient.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
mancich

Post by mancich »

+1 for Veracrypt. I have a 23 character long password that protects the encrypted container. 256 bit encryption. God bless any hacker who happens to get into my Google Drive, and then is able to get into that
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:41 am My critical information is backed up monthly onto a USB stick that I keep in the home safe, so cloud storage for disaster prevention is not a factor.
Keep in mind that these safes are not fireproof. That may not be a big risk but the contents are not safe from fire.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

jebmke wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:31 am
oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:41 am My critical information is backed up monthly onto a USB stick that I keep in the home safe, so cloud storage for disaster prevention is not a factor.
Keep in mind that these safes are not fireproof. That may not be a big risk but the contents are not safe from fire.
You are correct, which is why occasionally I rotate these out to our bank safe deposit box.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I have wondered what someone can do with those statements. For example, I store my end-of-year Vanguard statements. If someone got a hold of them, what could they do? It's not like they can call up Vanguard and withdraw the money. There are some items I wold be concerned about - my SS#, passwords to accounts.
Last edited by markcoop on Sat May 02, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
simas

Post by simas »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:12 am
jebmke wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:31 am
You are correct, which is why occasionally I rotate these out to our bank safe deposit box.
two is one, one is none, three is right for me... you also do not know whether backup image is corrupt or not until you try to restore from it so having more than one copy (which appears what you do through rotation) is essential.

there are two kinds of people, those who lost data already and those who will. the value of family memories for me far exceed the trivial cost of usb/backup drive (which I can always buy more of). the surviving video of family's great aunt getting married August 1st 1945, is not something I can buy again if lost..
Last edited by simas on Sat May 02, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Now I have a mailbox in a cluster with others, we each have our own little box in the "pod" and key. Multiple times every year I have to re-mail items to neighbors, usually not in the same mailbox cluster, but within the same subdivision. The shared-delivery at the barber shop was for about 7 years - as far as I know they're still doing that. Which just goes to prove we all have limited experiences.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

simmias wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:46 am
You've never had mail mis-delivered in your entire life? I hope you tip your unicorn of a postal delivery person handsomely during the holidays!
I was referring to having all the tenants mail piled together out in the open at a barbershop.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We get mail mis-delivered to us all the time. This is one of the several reasons why I have shut down as much inbound mail as I can. Somehow USAA re-started sending us a statement so I'm going to have to figure out how to shut that off.