IRS Get My Payment up and running

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
montanagirl

Re: IRS Get My Payment up and running

Post by montanagirl »

MtnBiker wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 am
tennisplyr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 am Well just entered bank info but it said there were "technical difficulties". Apparently, one question was 1) did you get a refund or 2) did you make a payment -kicked me out. Why wasn't there an option "didn't get a refund or make a payment" ??
Didn't I read that if you collect SS via direct deposit that they will deposit your stimulus without having to get your bank info?
My understanding is that if you collect SS via direct deposit, and do not file tax returns, that they will deposit your stimulus without having to get your bank info. If you collect SS, filed tax return(s), and did not get tax refund(s) via direct deposit, then you do need to enter your bank information.
Is there anyone here though who doesn't file a return? Technically I don't have to, but RMDs and Roth conversions get me so close to the filing requirement that it's just as well I file and have that income record for the future.

If anyone here gets SS and doesn't file, I 'd like to know if they've gotten anything yet.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

deleted
Last edited by lgs88 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merely an interested amateur
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

2018 Minnesota resident, 2019 Montana resident. Just filed my 2019 return last night. Get My Payment registered nothing for me until today when I tried to put my new address (2019 return). It told me this info didn't match its records, so I tried my 2018 address and it let me in. I had been trying with my 2018 info and it hadn't worked, so they must have updated the database yesterday. Verified info on my 2018 return (seeing as how GMP didn't recognize my 2019 info yet) and entered my direct deposit info. Now it says I can check back to see my payment date, which is not yet listed. Progress, I hope! GL to those still waiting. I filed 2019 thinking it would help but system didn't recognize my 2019 address, so I don't think that's what made the difference.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

seawolf21 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:31 am
seawolf21 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:06 pm
2beachcombers wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:35 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:44 pm
Calli114 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Update: I logged in today and it says they are mailing me a check.
I am guessing this is b/c they had direct deposit info from 2018 but not 2019, when I was nothing owed/no refund.
So today it did not even give me the option of direct deposit, but I'm not complaining.
Same here. Filed this year with $0 total tax. Last week the site was asking for direct deposit info but errors out. This morning it indicated a check will be mailed despite having Social Security direct deposit.
Were you able to skip input for the refund or paid ?
That screen doesn’t come up anymore. First screen ask for SSN,DOB, address. Next screen is check will be mailed next week. Last week screen came up asking for AGI.
Check being delivered today
After you entered SS#, etc on first page, did you(previously) next enter your DD info?. Or did next screen just say "will be mailed next week"?
I noticed your previous post reply--"Last week the site was asking for direct deposit info but errors out." So I assume you were never able(like me) never able to enter the DD info?
I am speculating the IRS is doing this in the order of increasing AGI?
Our joint AGI is just above the 150k threshold.
Last edited by 2beachcombers on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

montanagirl wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:37 am If anyone here gets SS and doesn't file, I 'd like to know if they've gotten anything yet.
My disabled adult son is in that situation. No, has not gotten anything yet. Still (today) says "Payment Status not available." As explained in the FAQ (not updated since 4/17),
The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:
You don't usually file a return, and:
You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my- ... -questions
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

data point

I was able to go in and enter my direct deposit information today.
Yesterday, I still received an error message.

Since I filed a paper return for 2019, and it had not been processed when I last checked about a week ago,
I entered the information from my 2018 return.

Success !

Thanks to everyone who posted who helpful information.

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon »

go_mets wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 am data point

I was able to go in and enter my direct deposit information today.
Yesterday, I still received an error message.

Since I filed a paper return for 2019, and it had not been processed when I last checked about a week ago,
I entered the information from my 2018 return.

Success !

Thanks to everyone who posted who helpful information.

Success for me today, too. I was getting the typical error message until this morning, so they must have loaded my data overnight.

I entered the info from my 2018 return, as I haven't filed 2019 yet (and wouldn't qualify under 2019).
sergio

Post by sergio »

Has there been any official info on when direct deposits will be going out for those that successfully submitted their bank info? Several sources have said it should be today, but I haven't seen any reports of people receiving DD who submitted their bank info the day the portal opened. We're still doing okay financially so it's not urgent, but knowing the deposit date would make planning so much easier, even if they straight up tell me I'm getting a paper check this summer...
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

A question:

I receive SS via direct deposit and filed taxes 2018. Apparently they need bank info to deposit stimulus. On inputting my info a question seemed to hang things up:

Q. Please indicate if you:
a) received a tax refund
b) made a tax payment

I have done neither, it doesn't accept my situation, if I leave it blank it kicks me out. Any thoughts?
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Topic Author
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

tennisplyr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:26 pm A question:

I receive SS via direct deposit and filed taxes 2018. Apparently they need bank info to deposit stimulus. On inputting my info a question seemed to hang things up:

a) received a tax refund
b) made a tax payment

I have done neither, it doesn't accept my situation, if I leave it blank it kicks me out. Any thoughts?
A lot of people have reported that situation. You will just need to keep trying until they fix the bug. Or wait for a paper check.
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

rkhusky wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:49 pm
tennisplyr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:26 pm A question:

a) received a tax refund
b) made a tax payment

A lot of people have reported that situation. You will just need to keep trying until they fix the bug. Or wait for a paper check.
from seawolf21:
Same here. Filed this year with $0 total tax. Last week the site was asking for direct deposit info but errors out. This morning it indicated a check will be mailed despite having Social Security direct deposit.
and see my question to seawolf21 on this page above
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

Beginning on April 15, now on April 24, I have one individual finally past the first screen. The information requested was entered, however, it appears this account is still blocked from giving the IRS the requested bank information. If you had your refund applied forward, you neither have an overpayment or a refund.

Others have reported a similar result with the entry limited to only two options. The program appears to have been created without consideration that the 1040 new short form drops the line
“77 Amount of line 75 you want applied to your 2019 estimated tax”

I will not share my opinion on the new short form.
😝
csm

Post by csm »

I've been trying once per day since the site launched. I am still told that I'm eligible but they don't have my direct deposit info. After trying to submit it, it errors out (-0- tax owed).

Based on others' reports, I have been expecting the message that a cheque is being sent, but it hasn't happened yet.
csmath

Post by csmath »

csm wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:57 pm I've been trying once per day since the site launched. I am still told that I'm eligible but they don't have my direct deposit info. After trying to submit it, it errors out (-0- tax owed).

Based on others' reports, I have been expecting the message that a cheque is being sent, but it hasn't happened yet.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone with the 0 error tried entering $0.01? No idea when they do the rounding but I'm curious if anyone is willing to experiment on it as it should get rounded to $0.00 at some point. Does it even allow for non-integer entries?
drizzleray

Post by drizzleray »

WSJ is reporting those that entered payment information into the portal by April 22nd and Social Security beneficiaries should receive their payments by Wednesday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/next-wave- ... 1587755745
bdpb

Post by bdpb »

csmath wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:03 pm
csm wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:57 pm I've been trying once per day since the site launched. I am still told that I'm eligible but they don't have my direct deposit info. After trying to submit it, it errors out (-0- tax owed).

Just out of curiosity, has anyone with the 0 error tried entering $0.01? No idea when they do the rounding but I'm curious if anyone is willing to experiment on it as it should get rounded to $0.00 at some point. Does it even allow for non-integer entries?
The value "$0.01" is an illegal value. The input should contain only digits.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

My information was finally found today and I was able to enter my banking information for direct deposit. I was one having issues due to 2018 tax payment through H&R Block software that was common. Was awaiting filing of 2019 taxes until payment was received.

Check again today!
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I too was finally able to get past the dreaded “Payment Status Not Available” message today.

They had my bank information for a 2019 tax return e-filed and accepted on 4/9. They said the stimulus payment would be direct deposited, but they would have to update me on the date. How and when that will happen they didn't say.
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Able to update my info. Then went back in and checked by my wife's SSN and it presented the banking info I entered 30 seconds prior under my SSN. System seems to be working fine.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bovineplane wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:47 pm Able to update my info. Then went back in and checked by my wife's SSN and it presented the banking info I entered 30 seconds prior under my SSN. System seems to be working fine.
Same experience for me. Now another waiting game...
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

An elderly relative of mine gets Social Security every month for direct deposit. Has for years.

Said relative didn't enter any info in the IRS website.

This relative also ended up getting the full stimulus payment... via a check in the mail a few days ago. :confused

I thought if you get Social Security the stimulus payments were going to be direct deposited? I mean neither my relative nor I am complaining, it just doesn't match up with what I read would happen.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:16 pm An elderly relative of mine gets Social Security every month for direct deposit. Has for years.

This relative also ended up getting the full stimulus payment... via a check in the mail a few days ago. :confused

I thought if you get Social Security the stimulus payments were going to be direct deposited? I mean neither my relative nor I am complaining, it just doesn't match up with what I read would happen.
Did your relative file a federal income tax return in 2018 or 2019? If so, that would explain what happened.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

MtnBiker wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:03 pm
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:16 pm An elderly relative of mine gets Social Security every month for direct deposit. Has for years.

Did your relative file a federal income tax return in 2018 or 2019? If so, that would explain what happened.
Yes, federal returns were filed for both tax year 2018 and 2019. 2019 tax year returns were filed electronically in early March.
Jas

Post by Jas »

Finally was able to enter bank account information using 0 for tax refund. Apparently, bug was fixed overnight.
bgf

Post by bgf »

got through for the first time yesterday but it said records didn't match. I had my return right in front of me so I know they're wrong...

Guess I'll try again today...
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

Jas wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 am Finally was able to enter bank account information using 0 for tax refund. Apparently, bug was fixed overnight.
0 worked for me too------------------finally :dollar
csm

Post by csm »

2beachcombers wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:53 am
Jas wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 am Finally was able to enter bank account information using 0 for tax refund. Apparently, bug was fixed overnight.
OMG me too! And now when I log onto my husband's SSN (MFJ), it says "You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page." And then shows the last 4 digits of the bank account I just submitted.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

2beachcombers wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:53 am
Me too :D
Mary
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Successfully entered my banking info today instead of having to wait in July:

You have successfully submitted your bank account information. Your payment will be direct deposited into your bank account using the information you provided.

Bank Account Type: Checking
Bank Account Number: ************xxxx
Bank Routing Number: ******xxx

Owed and filed 2019 Tax using TurboTax.
Direct Pay settled the owed amount before filing the tax so the tax owed on our 1040 was ZERO.
MAandMEMom

Post by MAandMEMom »

Same as others. MFJ 2018, owed and filed through Turbo Tax. Finally able to get in yesterday. Waiting on 2020 taxes as I’m well into the phase out due to limiting contributions to my 403b and 457. Darn college expenses. Also owe again...
AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 »

mtmingus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:44 am Successfully entered my banking info today instead of having to wait in July:

You have successfully submitted your bank account information. Your payment will be direct deposited into your bank account using the information you provided.

Bank Account Type: Checking
Bank Account Number: ************xxxx
Bank Routing Number: ******xxx

Owed and filed 2019 Tax using TurboTax.
Direct Pay settled the owed amount before filing the tax so the tax owed on our 1040 was ZERO.
Yes. Finally and I almost didn't believe the screen after the never-ending error messages.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Next time when we owe tax, I will Direct Pay prior to the filing with amount = owed + $1 so we will get $1 tax refund with Direct Deposit Info on the return.
crazygrow

Post by crazygrow »

Seems for the moment I'm screwed until the IRS gets time to go back and process 2019 returns. I filed electronically on 3/24/2020 and it still says it is processing. I'm assuming this is why I'm getting the no status available from Get My Payment. (2018 we owed and wouldn't have been eligible anyways, but 2019 we are well below.)

So far, $0 EIDL, $0 PPP for our small (very small business) and $0 individual stimulus payments... It's been a great April. :confused
bearwithbear

Post by bearwithbear »

Here is another data point.
Filed for 2018 but not for 2019
Applied refund for 2018 to estimated taxes
Today I was able to get to screen that wants tax information and bank information.
What I did was tell it I got a refund and refund was zero. It worked.
Entered bank information
Told me it would do a direct deposit.
Did not say when.
Hope this helps.

Bear
djmbob

Post by djmbob »

Yep, finally worked for me too!! :D
Also an H&R Block software e-filer.
Filed 2019 on 4/16 and it said 2019 data was invalid, so I entered 2018 info and it worked!
Now just waiting... thanks so much for the tips!
Cheers,
Ray
dbr

Post by dbr »

Yes, it is working for TurboTax filings and for the zero paid/zero refund tax return.* It can happen you need to go back and use your 2018 return.

*A refund that is applied to estimated taxes is a zero refund even if it is a refund, apparently. I imagine it has to do with not supplying bank information if they are not going to actually send you money.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Finally accepted my bank info. Checked received refund, amount 0
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

Thanks to many of this topic’s intelligent and focused Bogleheads, I have been able to get two more individuals’ data entered for direct deposit. The 0 (number zero) for entering a tax refund if the money had been carried forward, was as previously posted, added as a correct entry.

Is this important, yes, on many different levels for different people.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

I checked again today after having a payment status unavailable message. It requested direct deposit info which I was able to enter and now everything looks good. Thanks everyone.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

I finally yesterday got something other than status unknown. Unfortunately it was data does not match our records. Puzzling as it's been more than a dozen years since my address last changed (more for my date of birth!). Worse, after a couple of times trying to reenter the information, the IRS locked me out of the system for 24 hours. They say not to call, but I don't know how to fix this without speaking to someone at the IRS to clear up whatever data error is causing the mismatch.
Regards, | | Guy
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Did you try entering USPS-checked address like others suggested before?
dbr

Post by dbr »

asset_chaos wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:50 pm I finally yesterday got something other than status unknown. Unfortunately it was data does not match our records. Puzzling as it's been more than a dozen years since my address last changed (more for my date of birth!). Worse, after a couple of times trying to reenter the information, the IRS locked me out of the system for 24 hours. They say not to call, but I don't know how to fix this without speaking to someone at the IRS to clear up whatever data error is causing the mismatch.
One family member got that message (data does not match our records) using his 2019 return submitted electronically by TurboTax a couple of weeks ago. Replacing the data with the 2018 data succeeded. We don't use the 9 digit zip codes and even have the wrong city name (sort of) for one of the returns, but we do enter exactly the address that was submitted on the return without abbreviations except the two letter state code.
bgf

Post by bgf »

dbr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm
asset_chaos wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:50 pm I finally yesterday got something other than status unknown. Unfortunately it was data does not match our records. Puzzling as it's been more than a dozen years since my address last changed (more for my date of birth!). Worse, after a couple of times trying to reenter the information, the IRS locked me out of the system for 24 hours. They say not to call, but I don't know how to fix this without speaking to someone at the IRS to clear up whatever data error is causing the mismatch.
One family member got that message (data does not match our records) using his 2019 return submitted electronically by TurboTax a couple of weeks ago. Replacing the data with the 2018 data succeeded. We don't use the 9 digit zip codes and even have the wrong city name (sort of) for one of the returns, but we do enter exactly the address that was submitted on the return without abbreviations except the two letter state code.
Wait, I'm getting the same message.
Do you entire your entire address, street, city, state, zip?

I've only been doing street bc there's only a single line blank.

Im so used to online forms with different blanks for different parts of the address...

Do I type in the entire address from my return into that blank?
chesley

Post by chesley »

Sat., 4/25, finally was able to add my ACH information. We e-filed our 2019 return in early March. I waited a while after the "Get my Payment" function activated mid-April because a lot of the buzz was that folks receiving SS would get direct deposit. It appears that may entail quite a wait.
I tried several times to input the ACH information and got the same kinds of failures already reported. Our instance is that we filed, overpaid slightly on our estimated taxes, and applied the few hundred to 2020 estimated taxes. I think we failed because they did not program in the instance $0 refund and $0 tax due. Anyway, failed yesterday and succeeded today. Still won't hold my breath. We are fortunate that we don't need the money. Probably will pass onto the food bank.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

bgf wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 pm Wait, I'm getting the same message.

Im so used to online forms with different blanks for different parts of the address...

Go to usps.com and enter your address to request the zip code. You will receive the official USPS record of your formatted address.

Enter only the street address.

Even if you enter this correctly doesn't mean you still won't get an error message.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

bgf wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Don’t enter city and state in the Street Address: Just - 100 Main St . Also, Zip field only needs 5 digits.

Cheers
bgf

Post by bgf »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:45 pm
bgf wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 pm Wait, I'm getting the same message.

Go to usps.com and enter your address to request the zip code. You will receive the official USPS record of your formatted address.

Enter only the street address.

Even if you enter this correctly doesn't mean you still won't get an error message.
Thanks well I've been doing it correctly then. I've been abbreviating avenue to ave, which is correct on usps.com, but it doesn't reflect my return, which spells out avenue.

This is all so unbelievable to me. It doesnt work and then after two tries you get locked out for a whole day. Still no clue how to fix it.
bgf

Post by bgf »

Silk McCue wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:51 pm
bgf wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Don’t enter city and state in the Street Address: Just - 100 Main St . Also, Zip field only needs 5 digits.

Cheers
OK thanks. That's exactly what I've been doing, so now I have no clue what to try differently tomorrow... ugh
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

dbr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm
Thanks. As far as I can tell the street address on both 2018 and 2019 1040s are the same. But I have a foreign address and what I do notice is the different way that's entered via HRBlock for the different years. In 2018 there no foreign post code on the first page of the 1040; all that foreign address info goes into schedule 6. On the 2019 there's no schedule 6 and the foreign address info is on the first page in boxes labeled "foreign postal code", "foreign province/state/county", etc. If the IRS is going off the 2018 1040, they may be keying off the first page info and I may need to leave off the post code. Well, something different to try when the system reopens to me.
Regards, | | Guy
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

bgf wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:54 pm OK thanks. That's exactly what I've been doing, so now I have no clue what to try differently tomorrow... ugh
Not sure if this helps, but it seems you should not use dashes when entering your social security number.