Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pomomojo

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by pomomojo »

I'm an amateur bird photographer.
The Mute Swan and Northern Pintail were taken within the past month.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm Here's another pic of the RBD bird:

Saw-whet owl?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

pomomojo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 pm Image

Thanks! Great photos. :)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

pomomojo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 pm
Beautifully done!
thanks for posting the pics.

What camera and lens?

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Candor wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:35 pmBanding?
Yes.

@JAZZ, Eastern screech owl (red morph)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

We have a variety of birds native to east central Ohio. We have 4 feeders that we fill daily. The suet we put out attracts woodpeckers - hairy, downy, and red bellied. Who was the idiot that named the red bellied woodpecker? Since we have many sparrows, I tried to identify each species. House sparrows are easy to identify. Song sparrows are a real puzzle. I noticed that many of them were slightly different from each other and that my field guide to birds didn’t really have an accurate picture of the bird at my feeder. A Google search revealed that there are about 130 different species of song birds. I gave up trying to determine the exact species eating the seed that we provided. Other posts have mentioned the aggressive behavior of house sparrows. I have seen song sparrows run house sparrows off the feeder. House finches aren’t intimidated by them. Blue jays are often aggressive; however, the female cardinals that frequent our feeders aren’t intimidated by them.

DMW
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

We had a Turkey casually walk by our backyard yesterday. They're huge.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:50 pm We have a variety of birds native to east central Ohio. We have 4 feeders that we fill daily. The suet we put out attracts woodpeckers - hairy, downy, and red bellied. Who was the idiot that named the red bellied woodpecker? Since we have many sparrows, I tried to identify each species. House sparrows are easy to identify. Song sparrows are a real puzzle. I noticed that many of them were slightly different from each other and that my field guide to birds didn’t really have an accurate picture of the bird at my feeder. A Google search revealed that there are about 130 different species of song birds. I gave up trying to determine the exact species eating the seed that we provided. Other posts have mentioned the aggressive behavior of house sparrows. I have seen song sparrows run house sparrows off the feeder. House finches aren’t intimidated by them. Blue jays are often aggressive; however, the female cardinals that frequent our feeders aren’t intimidated by them.

DMW
Agree with you on the red bellied woodpecker name. Where’s the red belly? They should have called it the “not as red headed as the red headed woodpecker but still red headed”. That’s probably a little long for a name though. Maybe the “half red headed woodpecker” or the “red capped woodpecker”.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

And you know, there are some yellow-headed woodpeckers in the US that were not on the chart posted earlier. See them in the Rocky Mountains. Look up "3-toed woodpecker"
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Working outside today. Evicted the house sparrow once again from the bluebird box in front. Persistent little pest.

Bluebirds have built a complete nest in the back house. Did not check for eggs; male was watching me closely.

Pine warblers singing in the pine trees but didn't have binoculars with me to find him.

Humming birds are filtering into the area gradually. May have to put up the feeder this week.

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/humm ... 20-map.htm
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

What camera and lens?

These were shot with my Fuji XT-3 with 100-400 with or without 1.4TC.

I recently switched to the Sony A7R4 with the 200-600mm. Much better autofocus performance for wildlife.
I'll keep the Fuji for travel purposes since I already own a LOT of lenses. Once the lockdown is over, I'll sell some of my gear, and will gradually switch to Sony. I researched Canon and Nikon, but the two traditional brands have not fully embraced mirrorless yet, and their legacy wildlife lenses are just too heavy/bulky for travel.

I recently took this picture before the parks were closed:

Tree Swallow
Last edited by pomomojo on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

pomomojo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 am
What camera and lens?

I recently switched to the Sony A7R4 with the 200-600mm. Much better autofocus performance for wildlife.
I'll keep the Fuji for travel purposes since I already own a LOT of lenses. Once the lockdown is over, I'll sell some of my gear, and will gradually switch to Sony. I researched Canon and Nikon, but the two traditional brands have not fully embraced mirrorless yet, and their legacy wildlife lenses are just too heavy/bulky for travel.

Great shot! What species is that?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

What camera and lens?

That is a sweet "full frame" setup.
Yes, the Canon and Nikon full frame (non mirrorless) long zooms are large and heavy.
I've looked into the Sony A7R4 but not sure of committing to Sony dedicated lenses because we have such an extensive investment with Canon full framers and lenses.

Do you find the Sony 200-600 zoom's slower 5.6 f stop to be a limitation?

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

We have been seeing chickadees, doves, robins, and a very large Blue Jay. Very pretty bird but seems to be a bit of a bully. Interesting that our bird feeders got lots of visits yesterday despite the 20 degree temperature and snow. Got about 6 inches of snow now and it's still coming down. I guess the birds are "eating for the future" as they load up. It's nice to watch from the window while drinking coffee. :sharebeer
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Yesterday I was happy to see a small flock of Western Bluebirds. Sometimes you see them in mixed flocks with Mountain Bluebirds but these were all Westerns. :happy
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Green Heron showed up in the creek on Saturday. They nest here annually so this is always a good sign that spring is here. Still waiting for first hummingbird. After the storm blows out today I will probably put up the HB feeder.

Bluebirds are on the nest but I can't get out today to see if they have laid eggs. Chickadees have usurped the front Bluebird box. I'm inclined to let them have it - at least it isn't the dreaded House Sparrow or House Wrens.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

What camera and lens?

Tree Swallow
Nice shot!

Are tree swallows known to stay still? I ask b/c I have never witnessed barn swallows sit still. Just always flying, and I couldn't manage even a half-decent photo.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tree swallows will sit still for quite a while. So will Roughwings. I've found Cliff Swallows and Bank Swallows not so much. You can catch them briefly but they seem to fly around a lot more.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

A new one for me this year is the Carolina chickadee. They like to spend time in the young oak tree in my front yard in the morning. Such tiny birds!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tamarind wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 pm A new one for me this year is the Carolina chickadee. They like to spend time in the young oak tree in my front yard in the morning. Such tiny birds!
Chickadees are very social. Whenever I go out to the patio to grill, one perches in a Magnolia tree and chatters at me.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 pm Tree swallows will sit still for quite a while. So will Roughwings. I've found Cliff Swallows and Bank Swallows not so much. You can catch them briefly but they seem to fly around a lot more.
I have barn swallows nesting on my porch every spring. Very skittish. This year, it appears that a house finch has nested in one of the swallow mud nests from last year. I wonder what the barn swallows will do when they return (if anything) or just build elsewhere. :|
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

A pair of ospreys has nested in the stand 350' from the house and a pair of red tail hawks have nested in the pines 650' from the house . They are getting along fine .
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

While drinking my morning coffee, a 2nd or 3rd year eagle feasting on a fish in oak tree in back yard while mature eagle fished the creek. Great Blue Heron just stood there and watched.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:23 pm While drinking my morning coffee, a 2nd or 3rd year eagle feasting on a fish in oak tree in back yard while mature eagle fished the creek. Great Blue Heron just stood there and watched.
Wow! Sounds very cool.

I saw a Mountain Bluebird today and another flock of Western Bluebirds.

The female Red-winged Blackbirds (that have little black on them) have been back for a few weeks now but are more cautious than the males at the feeders.

Haven't seen any hummingbirds yet but others in the area have had some sightings. Thawing out the feeder and the snow is melting today.

:happy
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

On my bike ride last weekend I saw about 15 wild turkeys. Three had their feather fans on full display (not sure about the actual term for that). :happy I stopped and watched them until they started to look at me sideways and I felt it was time go. It’s unusual to see turkeys around here.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GoldenFinch wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:04 pm On my bike ride last weekend I saw about 15 wild turkeys. Three had their feather fans on full display (not sure about the actual term for that). :happy I stopped and watched them until they started to look at me sideways and I felt it was time go. It’s unusual to see turkeys around here.
Cool! On the radio this morning I heard a coyote was spotted in San Francisco and a wild turkey was spotted in Boston. The wildlife seems to enjoy this social distancing stuff. :D
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just put my hummingbird feeder up today. They are filtering into the area; I suspect the storm blew quite a few migrants in this week.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Kiter wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:52 pm A pair of ospreys has nested in the stand 350' from the house and a pair of red tail hawks have nested in the pines 650' from the house . They are getting along fine .
Very cool! Lots of activity in your neck of the woods.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Just moved to Bozeman Montana (4 days ago) and have enjoyed hearing and seeing Sandhill Cranes flyover, but even better was seeing a pair from the kitchen window today. Also saw a dozen Evening Grosbeaks on a neighborhood walk yesterday.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hubris wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:59 pm Just moved to Bozeman Montana (4 days ago) and have enjoyed hearing and seeing Sandhill Cranes flyover, but even better was seeing a pair from the kitchen window today. Also saw a dozen Evening Grosbeaks on a neighborhood walk yesterday.
Very cool!

I saw some great baby bird photos on Audubon's site recently that includes Sandhill crane chicks:

https://www.audubon.org/news/15-awww-in ... baby-birds

:happy
redline

Post by redline »

Great Egret hunting a gopher dinner Image
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

Cardinals, blue jays, juncos, sparrows, mourning doves, grackles, starlings, red winged blackbirds, red and yellow finches, cowbirds, chickadees. No robins yet in Western NY. Turkey vultures are back.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

At my back yard feeders: Northern Flickers, Downy and Red-Belly Woodpeckers, Juncos, Black-Cap Chickadees, Sparrows, Robins, Doves, Cardinals, (Eastern) Blue Jays.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Road trip to the swamp south of here yesterday; migration underway

Redstarts
Yellow-throated warblers
Yellow-throated vireos
Black and white warblers
Hooded warblers
Ovenbirds
Wood thrushes
Pine warblers
Gnatcatchers
Great-crested flycatcher
Phoebe
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm not really a birder, so don't know their actual names.

A falcon of some kind. His shape is like a peregrine but I know he's not one of them. His call sounds like a monkey to me, so I call him "Monkey Bird".
A white swan on the lake across the street.
What we call "submarine bird" on the lake. He goes under and swims for a while, then re-surfaces 30 yards away.
Turkeys. A herd of them, getting bigger every time I see them. 17 last I counted.
Smaller wood peckers along with the big pileated "monster bird".
A pair of cardinals that we notice feed off the seeds and bread we throw out in the evening when all the other birds have stopped.
Red Tail Hawks. We've always had them around.
Crows who have gathered to chase the hawk and also the falcon.
Blue jays who have gathered to chase the crows.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:23 am I'm not really a birder, so don't know their actual names.

What we call "submarine bird" on the lake. He goes under and swims for a while, then re-surfaces 30 yards away.
Cormorants, I think.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:23 am I'm not really a birder, so don't know their actual names.

Cormorants, I think.
if freshwater, may be Loon. Trying to remember ever seeing Cormorants in freshwater.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

jebmke wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 am
GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am

Cormorants, I think.
if freshwater, may be Loon. Trying to remember ever seeing Cormorants in freshwater.
Just Googled it and apparently they live in fresh and salt water. I’ve only seen them in the ocean though.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I am in a NYC suburb and for the first time in my life saw what I assume was a common raven the other day. We have plenty of black crows but this was too big to be a crow and too fearless around people.

Edit:. I'm not a birdwatcher, just someone who watched a bird.
Last edited by FI4LIFE on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm Here's another pic of the RBD bird:

Beautiful.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sheepdog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:02 pm I am receiving all of the normal midwest backyard birds feeding at the feeders such as cardinals, various finches, wrens, chickadees, sparrows, bluejays, those damn starlings, and others. Grosbeaks should be arriving soon and will eat a lot for a couple of weeks and then fly off to their nesting grounds.The humming birds will arrive, hopefully, at the normal May 10 to 15 period and will be around the feeders until next October 10 to 15 and fly off to Mexico and Central America.

This year I have 3 new and rare visitors. Mind you, I have lived in this house for 37 years so these are rare.
1. For the first time I have a bluebird visiting the feeders. And, they have been around now for 10 days. Wonderful sight. I have seen them on occasion along roadsides where bluebird houses have been installed on fence posts, but never in our neighborhood.
2. Only once in these years, about 20 years ago, did a pileated woodpecker visit for a couple of days. This year, a big one, is feeding on the suet feeders and he has been around for over 2 weeks. He is a BIG beautiful red headed guy.
3. I have had Coopers hawks chasing and catching the poor sparrows in my backyard, taking them onto a tree limb, torturing the poor sparrow before devouring him, but now I have a pair who have built a nest in a fork in our oak tree. One can be on the nest, until the mate flies in and that one flies off. Interesting, but it appears I will lose more of the sparrows and finches this summer.
Its a different year.
Nice! You have a lot of activity. I've observed the same thing with Cooper's Hawks and small feeder birds in my back yard. Icky to watch but I know that's the "circle of life" as they say.

My dog somehow knows that the Cooper's Hawks present some sort of danger. He chases them out of the yard, but usually ignores the other birds. :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jebmke wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 am if freshwater, may be Loon. Trying to remember ever seeing Cormorants in freshwater.
Plenty of cormorants around here in freshwater. Way too far south for loons here.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

livesoft wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:03 am
jebmke wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 am if freshwater, may be Loon. Trying to remember ever seeing Cormorants in freshwater.
Plenty of cormorants around here in freshwater. Way too far south for loons here.
Wasn't sure. I live at sea level so there is no fresh water here. We get Loons in the winter. OP is in MA. I used to live there too and there were plenty of lake Loons and at sea.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

A falcon of some kind. His shape is like a peregrine but I know he's not one of them. His call sounds like a monkey to me, so I call him "Monkey Bird".
A white swan on the lake across the street.
Turkeys. A herd of them, getting bigger every time I see them. 17 last I counted.
Smaller wood peckers along with the big pileated "monster bird".
A pair of cardinals that we notice feed off the seeds and bread we throw out in the evening when all the other birds have stopped.
Red Tail Hawks. We've always had them around.
Crows who have gathered to chase the hawk and also the falcon.
Blue jays who have gathered to chase the crows.
I've seen cormorants in fresh water lakes (in NJ)

As for your falcon, perhaps a kestrel?
Chip

Post by Chip »

livesoft wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:03 am
Probably not at this time of year. But I have seen plenty of loons in the winter on salt water around the Florida panhandle.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

redline wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:29 pm Great Egret hunting a gopher dinner Image
That's an incredible picture, Redline! Did you see him catch the gopher?
Candor

Post by Candor »

I always love to see Osprey returning which is a sure sign of spring.

The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Candor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:13 am I always love to see Osprey returning which is a sure sign of spring.

Great photo! Thanks for posting. :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Not everything is great for a bird. Here is a bird I found while bushwhacking earlier this year well off any trail. It was fresh dead in that there were no flies and no smell. No obvious signs of gunshot or other human intervention. No power lines anywhere around.

Candor

Post by Candor »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:17 am
Candor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:13 am I always love to see Osprey returning which is a sure sign of spring.

Great photo! Thanks for posting. :happy
Thanks!
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD