What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

The Lighthouse (2019) Robert Pattinson, Willem Dafoe, Valeriia Karaman.

From IMDB: Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity whilst living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7984734/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is a dark film. Filmed in B&W, I could taste the sea salt on my tongue and feel the blowing chill. Well acted and infused with authentic-sounding accents and dialog. Dafoe is the old keeper and sea-salt, his lines were almost Shakespearean in quality. He was perfect for the role. It also reminded me of Moby Dick (the novel), which was set about 50 years earlier at Nantucket and of course at sea. A foghorn is heard throughout the film and the terrible weather is real, no rain or wind machines needed.

One thing I learned from this film, I never want to be a lighthouse keeper. These jobs have been automated now so no chance of that. It sounds romantic but it was a tough life, especially when you’re cooped up with someone else you may not particularly like for months on end. I’m glad I saw the film but I know that all will not like it, some may be revolted.

We checked the DVD out of our local public library.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:09 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:00 pm The Last Thing He Wanted New on Netflix. Ben Afflak and Anne Hathaway. Wanted to like it, but ultimately disappointed.
We watched about 15 minutes of it and did't continue. Surprisingly failed to hold our interest, not even with Anne Hathaway.
I haven't seen this movie but I will often check the IMDB rating before I start watching something.

"The Last Thing He Wanted" has a 4.3 rating on IMDB. :(

YMMV.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Belko Experiment - I could not get into this movie and fell asleep halfway through, woke up near the end in confusion.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jsaver

Post by jsaver »

House Blend wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:04 pm The film that I did see (available on Netflix) is Burning, from 2018. Not sure how I missed this originally--it has a very long list of award nominations (including the Palme d'Or @ Cannes) and a substantial list of wins. But no Oscar love.

There was a key plot element in the second half that struck me as something I had read before in a novel, but I couldn't put my finger on it. After searching for reviews online I found out what it was: the screenplay is based on a short story I had read by Murakami. Having learned that, I can now think back and recall a number of indicators of the Murakami style.
Two short stories actually, both titled “Barn Burning.” The first is by Faulkner, the second by Murakami.

https://jerrywbrown.com/wp-content/uplo ... kner-1.pdf

https://www.mrflamm.com/uploads/2/2/0/0 ... rakami.pdf
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

Just got back from Berlin.

1. Saw "Little Women" --- dubbed in German. Charming film.

2. One night we were tired out from swanning around Berlin, so we had a picnic in our hotel room and re-watched "Bridge of Spies" on Netflix.....watching Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance, two brilliant actors, working together is such a treat. Great film.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Weathering With You

Imaginative Japanese animation (anime) that I found enjoyable
with elements of fantasy, romance, and drama. Although not quite
at the level of Hayao Miyazaki, (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving
Castle, etc.) it was still an excellent film.
Viewed at a theater
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

^^^

Great movie.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

I watched Sahara. Clive Cussler died last Tuesday. I’ve always liked the Dirk Pitt books and read the first dozen or so. It’s interesting to see a buffed and normal body weight Matthew McConaughey from before he did Dallas Buyers Club. For me, it’s a watchable popcorn movie even though it didn’t do well in the box office and the critics slammed it.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

Parasite, and I thought it was great. Don't watch the trailer, just see it.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

US. A horror/chiller movie with several hidden meanings. Was pretty good.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Watched " The Invention of Lying" on Amazon. Both wife and myself LOLed. Can't believe this one has never been on my radar before.
NB- I am a Ricky Gervais fan.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Petrocelli wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 pm
Ramjet wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:55 pm Saw 1917 yesterday, best movie I have seen in a long time
I saw it for the second time yesterday.

It should have won best picture.
That's funny, my spouse and I saw it recently and each came to the independent conclusion that it was the most nonsensical unrealistic movie plot we've seen (for a plot that was supposed to be based on real life events). We did like the cinematography though.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

We watched "The Report" over the weekend on Amazon Prime.

Very good movie with Adam Driver as Daniel Jones an FBI agent working with Sen. Feinstein to investigate the CIA use of torture post 9/11. Based on facts it had a nice cameo of Sen. John McCain making a Senate floor speech in support of the Feinstein - McCain bill to limit use of torture.

Enjoyed the movie.

Ed
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

MP173 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:22 pm We watched "The Report" over the weekend on Amazon Prime.

Very good movie with Adam Driver as Daniel Jones an FBI agent working with Sen. Feinstein to investigate the CIA use of torture post 9/11. Based on facts it had a nice cameo of Sen. John McCain making a Senate floor speech in support of the Feinstein - McCain bill to limit use of torture.

Enjoyed the movie.

Ed
I also liked the Report. However, John McCain didn't do a cameo in the movie. That was an film clip of McCain's Senate floor speech.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

IMO wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 am
Petrocelli wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 pm
Ramjet wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:55 pm Saw 1917 yesterday, best movie I have seen in a long time
I saw it for the second time yesterday.

It should have won best picture.
That's funny, my spouse and I saw it recently and each came to the independent conclusion that it was the most nonsensical unrealistic movie plot we've seen (for a plot that was supposed to be based on real life events). We did like the cinematography though.
They could’ve dropped the message from the air. They had a few biplanes flying around no-man’s land, one of them could’ve dropped it. It was commonly done in WWI, or so I’ve read. I wasn’t there.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

If you like off-beat documentaries, check out "Fantastic Fungi." Beautifully photographed, roughly the first two-thirds is a typical nature documentary about the neat world of the fungus (like the fact that they form something akin to a neural network underground). Then the last third veers sharply into promoting the "magic" properties of mushrooms, particularly the purported beneficial effects of the natural psychedelic psilocybin. Overall, it's interesting and a bit weird. I enjoyed it.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Remember, on Netflix with Christopher Plummer about aging Auschwitz survivors in the USA. High quality movie, but difficult to watch for a number of reasons. This is not a good date night movie!
Feels slow, which I guess comes with the script when your lead character is 90+ years old and has dementia. However I stuck with it to the end and it is definitely well plotted story arc with some twists along the way.
I will not be showing it to my wife.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Looking forward to David Simon's 6-part miniseries on HBO, March 16, "The Plot Against America", based on the Philip Roth novel. https://www.hbo.com/the-plot-against-america
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Sherlock Holmes, on Amazon Prime.

This is the 2009 movie with Robert Downey Jr and Rachael McAdams. Holmes and Watson battle a nefarious Lord who is trying to take over the world. This is not based on a Conan Doyle story, included lots of violence, but I enjoyed the movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW and I watched...."Apollo 13"......last night....

We spent a week in Florida and spent a full day at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Cape Canaveral...…...Wow....Wow!

We had the privilege to spend 30 minutes or so talking with a retired engineer from Rocketdyne / Boeing (yes....he was a real Rocket Scientist).. He explained so many things about the Apollo and Shuttle programs.....and what caused some of the disasters..... Gotta say, the KSC was one of the most exciting/informative places that we had the privilege to see.....
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Troop Zero, on Amazon Prime.

A group of poor girls in rural Georgia in 1969 compete for recognition at a Jamboree. My wife's review "That was a cute movie".
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Now You See Me 2" on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Also watched on Netflix "The Coldest Game" which was a Cuban Missile Crisis film with Bill Pullman centering around a chess game in Warsaw, Poland. I enjoyed it.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

"Knives Out" from iTunes going for $3.99 rental. Entertaining, well-done, old fashioned whodunit but with some modern twists. I love the performances by Daniel Craig and Ana de Armas.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Big Sick, on Amazon Prime.

This is a funny and entertaining movie loosely based on how comedian Kamail Najiani and his wife met, and dealt with their families when she became very ill. I recommend this movie.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Just watched Farewell My Lovely (1975) starring Robert Mitchum (with Sylvester Stallone in a tiny bit part).

Based on the Raymond Chandler novel of the same name. Raymond Chandler and Robert Mitchum go well together!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Coldest Game

A genius mathematician and phenomenal chess player is involuntarily
pulled into a cold war spy quagmire when all he really wants at this
stage in his life is another drink.
The setting is a worldwide chess tournament in communist Poland during
the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. Recommended.
Viewed on Netflix.
travelspot

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched

Post by travelspot »

Long Shot on Netflix. Not the Seth Rogen movie of the same title; this is a short documentary about someone accused of murder in L.A.

Don’t look up anything else about it, and anyone out there who has seen it don’t spoil it! Amazing sequence of events, and the documentary is only 40 minutes long.

Highly recommended!
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt on HBO. It was starting as I was surfing for other interesting movies, so I had no idea of what was in the trailer... I probably would not have watched had I seen one, as whatever genre the movie was is is not really my favorite genre.
I did watch it to the end and it sucked me into it's premise.
I'll give it a mild thumbs up.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

OK, this is kind of weird... I watched "Long Shot" on Netflix based on Travelspots curious recommendation above. No spoiler alerts from me! It was an OMG sequence of events...but what threw me is that Matt Damons characters in The Adjustment Bureau could as easily been written into the plot line of Long Shot.
Recommend watching them both back to back!
My governor just locked down my state with a shelter in place order so looking pretty deep into my streaming services menu before some virus related issue cascades down into yet another concentric Circle of Hell and we somehow lose that!
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Contagion
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

With things shutting down I suspect we will be watching a lot of movies.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Content moved to here: Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

(Wrong thread, sorry about that.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Capsu78 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:54 pm OK, this is kind of weird... I watched "Long Shot" on Netflix based on Travelspots curious recommendation above. No spoiler alerts from me! It was an OMG sequence of events...but what threw me is that Matt Damons characters in The Adjustment Bureau could as easily been written into the plot line of Long Shot.
Recommend watching them both back to back!
My governor just locked down my state with a shelter in place order so looking pretty deep into my streaming services menu before some virus related issue cascades down into yet another concentric Circle of Hell and we somehow lose that!
Thanks. Your mention of The Adjustment Bureau is enough for us to give it a try.

As for The Adjustment Bureau... after seeing that a few years ago, whenever something surprising "works out", especially if surprising, we joke about how The Adjustment Bureau must have been at it :happy

We thought it a bit of fluff at first, but not by the end.
Ah, that reminds me of Contact, with Jodie Foster, which now goes on the list, given that we have a lot of time for books and movies!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:31 pm With things shutting down I suspect we will be watching a lot of movies.
Very insightful
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:00 am
abuss368 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:31 pm With things shutting down I suspect we will be watching a lot of movies.
Very insightful
Thanks! :beer
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watched Bachelor Party last night as I never saw this classic!
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Monsters University. (Small kids...) Didn't realize John Goodman and Billy Crystal were the main voices until halfway through. Entertaining, but Monsters Inc. was better.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Sniper Special Ops with Steven Seagal on Netflix. Meh.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

I saw a thread on Reddit the other day about underrated and unsuccessful animated features, so I'm watching the top mentions. Yesterday I watched The Road to El Dorado on Hulu. It's definitely fun--Kevin Klein and Kenneth Branagh are brilliant--but doesn't seem to add up to much. Tonight I'll be watching Treasure Planet on Disney+, then after that Atlantis.
annu

Post by annu »

Tiger king on Netflix, docu series, allegedly about tigers, but see through episode 3 and you will realise how crazy insane and interesting it is....
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Jojo Rabbit - thought it was well acted and produced.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"The Foreigner" with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. We enjoyed it.
BB76

Post by BB76 »

Deleted
Last edited by BB76 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annu

Post by annu »

Recently watched Extra Ordinary, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/extra_ordinary
Surprisingly funny and unique
travellight

Post by travellight »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:25 pm "The Lehman Trilogy"

Directed by Sam Mendes and Ben Power.

This is a movie that was filmed of a play live on stage in London and is now being shown in smaller theaters by National Theatre Live.

"How do you tell an epic story with just three actors and a piano?"

I have seen this film twice. It is riveting. You've never seen anything like it. Only three extraordinary actors play all the parts, in the same costumes, in the same setting, with few props and backdrops, with only a piano accompaniment - they tell the Lehman Brothers story spanning 160 years, from its beginning in Montgomery, Alabama, to its bankruptcy in the 2008 recession. It's acting and story-telling at its best.

Here is the link to National Theatre Live "The Lehman Trilogy" with a preview and a link to find the closest movie showings.
http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/pr ... an-trilogy

Here are some reviews, describing the film better than I can.
In the beginning, there is nothing. And in the end, there is --- nothing, once again.

Such is the way of all flesh, no? And, since the subject here is the accumulation of money, let's say the way of all cash, too. But in this case, out of nothing there emerges such a heaving ferment of aspiration, energy, tenacity and audacity that you're left reeling by the scope and vitality of it all.

That, in essence, is what the magnificent play "The Lehman Trilogy" at the Park Avenue Armory, both is about and, more important, simply is. This genuinely epic production out of London, directed with surging sweep and fine-tooled precision by Sam Mendes, charts the history of the financial institution that would come to be known as Lehman Brothers, from its humble origins to its epical implosion, over a span of three centuries and many generations.

A Magnificent Road to Ruin in "The Lehman Trilogy"
But what makes this work a ticket worth cashing in your gilt-edged securities for are its three extraordinary actors, who are the sole occupants of the vast Lyttelton stage for nearly 180 minutes. They are Simon Russell Beale, Ben Miles and Adam Godley. Behold them with wonder, humble theatergoer, for they are multitudes.

"The Lehman Trilogy" is a Transfixing Epic of Riches and Ruin
The set for "The Lehman Trilogy" is a giant glass box, an 800-square-foot rotating, transparent cube within which three extravagantly resourceful actors inhabit the dreams, doubts and ambitions of three siblings who founded a mighty financial empire, along with their various spouses, descendants and successors over the course of more than 160 years that ended in disgrace. If that encasement might give the impression of a museum piece, an airless history lesson, don't be fooled. This is theatrical storytelling at its most thrilling, a work of novelistic sweep and operatic crescendos, as rich in incisive character detail as it is in breathtaking visual coups.

Over three generations, the Lehman's trajectory steadily distances them, first from the raw materials they trade in and then from the industries for which they serve as brokers, until commodities like cotton, iron, coal, coffee, tobacco and even military arms become just words. The transition is complete when Philip Lehman, the first son born in New York, triumphantly declares, "We use money to make more money."

There's been no shortage of plays, movies and books dealing with the financial crisis. But "The Lehman Trilogy" stands apart because it has less interest in the mechanisms of the crash - or even in such standard subtext as the deification of wealth and the cult of greed - than in the ways the psychological groundwork for it all is woven into the very fabric of the American Dream.

"The Lehman Trilogy" Theater Review
Although the play is returning to New York in March 2020, you don't need to pay Broadway ticket prices. This film is perfect, far less expensive and you sit up front :happy
This looks terrific. I couldn't find it to watch it though. Is it available online?
OnAwingAndaPrayer

Post by OnAwingAndaPrayer »

Robert De Niro movie called "Everybody's Fine." (2009) As a widower, he goes on a road trip to reconnect with each of his adult children. The movie touched me in a way I cannot explain; ended up shedding a few tears and was left with a warm fuzzy feeling by the end.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

La La Land, on Amazon Prime.

I thought the movie was too long, a bit pretentious, but still entertaining.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Just finished Lady Macbeth starring Florence Pugh, an indie film made in 2017 about a young bride in an arranged marriage in 19th century England who gets into some pretty dark situations that start with an adulterous affair. It was very brooding and well acted, if rather grim.

PSA: I watched it on the streaming platform Kanopy.com which is a great resource if you have access. It features a lot of independent and classic films and documentaries. You register via your local library system and also if you are a student or professor (employee) of many participating universities.

It's well worth checking to see if you can join this site, especially during the period of not being able to go out for one's movie fix :happy
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Sorry We Missed You

Story of a struggling working class family in present
day UK. The father works for a demanding, unforgiving,
delivery service and the mother is a healthcare worker
making house calls. Throw in a moody, troubled, teenage
son and it is a nightmare.
A fairly depressing movie with only one redeeming
feature: it will make you profoundly thankful that you
are not in those circumstances.
Viewed at a theater, in fact the last movie I viewed
at a theater before they were shut down.