Early sources of 'Bogle's Folly'

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
alexfoo39

Early sources of 'Bogle's Folly'

Post by alexfoo39 »

Anyone has link or pictures pointing to that phrase in the 1970s?
David Jay

Re: Early sources of 'Bogle's Folly'

Post by David Jay »

Tough to have a “link” to anything in the 1970s.

You would probably have to go to a “library” and “research” old Barrons and WSJ papers. Do you know how to use a micro-fiche?

[Edit] more on point, Google shows any number of references to this phrase in articles from 2016, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the first Vanguard SP500 fund.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

If I were on a quest to find an early use of the term, I might start by looking for the June 1975 issue of Fortune Magazine just to see if someone happened to be quoted using it there.
Bogle founded The Vanguard Group in 1974 and started the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFINX) (then called the First Index Investment Trust) soon after. The following June, a very prescient story appeared in Fortune: "Index Funds: An Idea Whose Time is Coming."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-john-b ... ing-world/
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

You've probably seen this poster, it doesn't use the phrase but definitely alludes to the idea
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham