Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Joe_R95

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Joe_R95 »

I finally broke $500k in invested assets yesterday for the first time. Was way more exciting when I almost got there a couple months ago. I'm 36 and have only been investing heavily since the very end of 2015. No inheritance or any windfalls. At the rate I'm going it looks like about 80% of my first million will be my money. Can't wait to see the yield curve start to form!

Congrats to everyone else in this thread. Remember to enjoy the ride.
student

Post by student »

Joe_R95 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:47 am I finally broke $500k in invested assets yesterday for the first time. Was way more exciting when I almost got there a couple months ago. I'm 36 and have only been investing heavily since the very end of 2015. No inheritance or any windfalls. At the rate I'm going it looks like about 80% of my first million will be my money. Can't wait to see the yield curve start to form!

Congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Joe_R95 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:47 am I finally broke $500k in invested assets yesterday for the first time. Was way more exciting when I almost got there a couple months ago. I'm 36 and have only been investing heavily since the very end of 2015. No inheritance or any windfalls. At the rate I'm going it looks like about 80% of my first million will be my money. Can't wait to see the yield curve start to form!

Congratulations :D . you are far ahead of where we were at that age.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Grats! Yes, that yield curve will be exciting to see. At 500k, market returns take hold. Depending on your savings rate, it will feel like your contributions are doing nothing.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

Silly milestone today.

401k in my 401k.
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

miamivice wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 am Silly milestone today.

401k in my 401k.
:beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

401k in my 401k.
:D Made me laugh
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

401k in my 401k.
That's one of the best milestones I have seen :D
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

5th_Dimension wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:35 pm

401k in my 401k.
That's one of the best milestones I have seen :D
+1
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Roth just passed $30K (3 years of contributions)! Thanks Hedgefundie!
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

Paid off my mortgage. Had a very good investment opportunity as an alternative but I've never had a goal of "... investing in a good opportunity" but I have had a goal of paying off my mortgage.
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

jaj2276 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am Paid off my mortgage. Had a very good investment opportunity as an alternative but I've never had a goal of "... investing in a good opportunity" but I have had a goal of paying off my mortgage.
Congrats on a huge achievement :sharebeer
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

Maxed out my 401k for the year with today's paycheck!! I thought I changed it to max out at the end of the year since I was saving for a mortgage but I guess I did the math wrong... I looked at my paycheck and was blown away! Now I have 4 more big paychecks until it gets tiny again when 2020 starts :bittersweet:
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Contributed to my soon-to-be-wife's IRA :D .
packet

Post by packet »

khangaroo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:41 pm Maxed out my 401k for the year with today's paycheck!! I thought I changed it to max out at the end of the year...
As wonderful as that is (Congrats!)... be sure you know how your company matches funds (if they do at all). For example, if I were to do the same, I would miss out on the matching funds for the remaining paychecks as my employer calculates the match each pay period, not per year... free money lost.

Hope that makes sense.

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
packet

Post by packet »

MotoTrojan wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm Contributed to my soon-to-be-wife's IRA :D .
Nice! And two times the congratulations!

But... shhhh.... I'm sure you meant to say that your soon-to-be-wife contributed to her IRA (and has enough income to cover said deposit). Cause, well, you know... you can't donate to someone else's IRA after all ... :)

packet
First round’s on me.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

packet wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm
MotoTrojan wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm Contributed to my soon-to-be-wife's IRA :D .
Nice! And two times the congratulations!

But... shhhh.... I'm sure you meant to say that your soon-to-be-wife contributed to her IRA (and has enough income to cover said deposit). Cause, well, you know... you can't donate to someone else's IRA after all ... :)

packet
She has enough income and actually you can deposit funds into someone else’s IRA via check or wire transfer.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

I track out NW progression each quarter. On 10/1, we passed $750k for the first time. I’m glad this thread exists because I don’t know who else I can share this with.
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

2019 milestones
--Net worth surpassed $1M in Q1 2019 (including home equity)
--Investments surpassed $900K just this past week (looking forward to crossing $1M in just investments)
student

Post by student »

tony_roach wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:48 pm 2019 milestones
--Investments surpassed $900K just this past week (looking forward to crossing $1M in just investments)
Congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

tony_roach wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:48 pm 2019 milestones
Congratulations :)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Networth around 781k but our assets at Vanguard just passed 500k. Hopefully it stays there for awhile so we get upgraded to Voyager Select status at some point. Next goal is Flagship.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
student

Post by student »

lostdog wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:09 pm Networth around 781k but our assets at Vanguard just passed 500k. Hopefully it stays there for awhile so we get upgraded to Voyager Select status at some point. Next goal is Flagship.
Congratulations. :D :D :D
reddison

Post by reddison »

Last week we reached a big milestone - over $3MM in our 401ks and taxable accounts, not counting our house (paid in full). We actually got there a couple weeks prior but then fell below when the market declined. I'm hoping like everyone the market keeps moving up and we don't take another step back any time soon. We're 18 months from retirement, so we've got a ways to go. I made some projections about 7 yrs ago and we have done quite a bit better than anticipated.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

Good morning Bogleheads!

This morning I felt like a kid on Christmas as I waited to see our accounts update from yesterday. There it is.....our net worth is now $2,000,529.13! 20 years ago or so our net worth was at negative $100k thanks to student loans; 10 years ago coming out of the Great Recession it was around $450k; we hit $1 million in November 2013 and now $2 million for the first time today.

I have been thinking about that journey over the past few days and just wanted to express my tremendous gratitude to this community. If I had to guess, I'd say that Bogleheads.org is responsible for adding probably $50,000 to my assets. Fifty Thousand Dollars! From reading a free website!

The insight and knowledge that Bogleheads provide on a daily basis is astounding. This site is responsible for my learning about things like tax loss harvesting and back door Roths/in-plan Roth conversions. Watching out for high fees became a bigger part of my investment plan after seeing the relentless focus on it here. Most importantly, the wisdom of this community in its advice to avoid impulsive mistakes has kept me from making bad decisions, and has helped me set an allocation that I feel very comfortable with no matter what is happening in the markets.

So I sincerely thank all of you for making this such a great place. In particular, I want to thank some of the posters whose advice has really helped me including:

* HomerJ who has provided so many posts that made me think and say "Yes, that makes so much sense!" including excellent advice that I once gave to a friend who really appreciated it.
* Taylor Larimore who always takes the time to give common sense advice to everyone here.
* Meg77 for her professional insight and her ability to put financial matters in the right context.
* Earl Lemongrab for the "Final, Definitive" thread on brokerage transfer bonuses, which has made me about $3,500 over the years with minimal effort.
* HEDGEFUNDIE for sharing his creative "excellent adventure," which returned $1,500 on my $35,000 investment in about three weeks--during which time the stock market went down--before I said that was enough for me and cashed out.
* Kevin M for his incredible ability to explain and help me understand interest rates and their fundamental importance to everything in the world of investing and finance.
* Random Poster for his thoughts on working through financial anxiety.
* White Coat Investor for his common sense approach and straightforward advice.
* Livesoft who seems to know something about everything and who shares an amazing amount of that knowledge here.
* All of the moderators and the Advisory Board for all that they do.

I know I'm forgetting many posters so again, thank you to all of you. This is a great community and it has made a real difference in the financial security of my family.

To celebrate this milestone I'm going to a concert tomorrow night by one of my favorite artists, who happens to be in Chicago on his Never Ending Tour. I'm looking forward to the show, and to the years ahead. Have a great day everyone!
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

chicagoan23 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:07 am Good morning Bogleheads!

This morning I felt like a kid on Christmas as I waited to see our accounts update from yesterday. There it is.....our net worth is now $2,000,529.13! 20 years ago or so our net worth was at negative $100k thanks to student loans; 10 years ago coming out of the Great Recession it was around $450k; we hit $1 million in November 2013 and now $2 million for the first time today.

I have been thinking about that journey over the past few days and just wanted to express my tremendous gratitude to this community. If I had to guess, I'd say that Bogleheads.org is responsible for adding probably $50,000 to my assets. Fifty Thousand Dollars! From reading a free website!

The insight and knowledge that Bogleheads provide on a daily basis is astounding. This site is responsible for my learning about things like tax loss harvesting and back door Roths/in-plan Roth conversions. Watching out for high fees became a bigger part of my investment plan after seeing the relentless focus on it here. Most importantly, the wisdom of this community in its advice to avoid impulsive mistakes has kept me from making bad decisions, and has helped me set an allocation that I feel very comfortable with no matter what is happening in the markets.

So I sincerely thank all of you for making this such a great place. In particular, I want to thank some of the posters whose advice has really helped me including:

* HomerJ who has provided so many posts that made me think and say "Yes, that makes so much sense!" including excellent advice that I once gave to a friend who really appreciated it.
* Taylor Larimore who always takes the time to give common sense advice to everyone here.
* Meg77 for her professional insight and her ability to put financial matters in the right context.
* Earl Lemongrab for the "Final, Definitive" thread on brokerage transfer bonuses, which has made me about $3,500 over the years with minimal effort.
* HEDGEFUNDIE for sharing his creative "excellent adventure," which returned $1,500 on my $35,000 investment in about three weeks--during which time the stock market went down--before I said that was enough for me and cashed out.
* Kevin M for his incredible ability to explain and help me understand interest rates and their fundamental importance to everything in the world of investing and finance.
* Random Poster for his thoughts on working through financial anxiety.
* White Coat Investor for his common sense approach and straightforward advice.
* Livesoft who seems to know something about everything and who shares an amazing amount of that knowledge here.
* All of the moderators and the Advisory Board for all that they do.

I know I'm forgetting many posters so again, thank you to all of you. This is a great community and it has made a real difference in the financial security of my family.

To celebrate this milestone I'm going to a concert tomorrow night by one of my favorite artists, who happens to be in Chicago on his Never Ending Tour. I'm looking forward to the show, and to the years ahead. Have a great day everyone!
What a fantastic and inspirational post! Congratulations on hitting such a huge milestone!

We also began our financial journey $100K in the red due to student loans and have now crossed a $600K net worth in just over five years, almost completely due to all of the excellent advice and guidance from this community.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

JimmyD wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:27 am
What a fantastic and inspirational post! Congratulations on hitting such a huge milestone!

We also began our financial journey $100K in the red due to student loans and have now crossed a $600K net worth in just over five years, almost completely due to all of the excellent advice and guidance from this community.
Thank you! It sounds like you will be posting something similar very soon, probably a lot sooner than I did. Your last five years are amazing!
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Tomorrow (November 1st) I'm hitting 5 years with Vanguard!

I had started seriously investing the previous year (after paying off the mortgage on the house and all outstanding loans), but had no idea what I was doing both at my financial advisor and at ETrade.

I then found this community and (five years ago) started my taxable account at Vanguard.

Since then I've fired my financial advisor, moved over just about all my investments to V., and most importantly, divested myself from all the loose stocks and other bad investments I had picked up over the years.

Now I understand all my assets and, more importantly, I had them written on a single sheet that my wife can easily follow.

Cheers! :beer
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

We finally hit $100k invested! Took me until age 35 and nearly three years after completing school.

Charlie Munger was right: https://fourpillarfreedom.com/charlie-m ... is-a-btch/

$10k was hit in May 2014, about a year after I started my CS degree.
$20k in May 2015.
$30k in September 2016, when I was in my last semester of school (worked full-time during my last year)
$40k in February 2017 (had baby; wife stopped working).
$50k in January 2018 (bought house).
$60k in June 2018.
$70k in February 2019.
$80k in April 2019.
$90k in August 2019.
$100k in November 2019.

Looking forward to measuring in larger increments.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Congratulations.

I am glad that I have been able to help you in some small way.
bogleVB

Post by bogleVB »

One fourth of my way to the two comma club. Feels Great!
AkwardDoct@rd

Post by AkwardDoct@rd »

Net worth(with liabilities)
Minus 1,000,000
6 years later -50,000

Next year is the year we go positive!
Liveware Problem

Post by Liveware Problem »

Passed 10MNOK (about 1.1MUSD) household net worth today. Finally, it's been looming on the horizon forever. :sharebeer
equiv-tech
student

Post by student »

reddison wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:30 pm Last week we reached a big milestone - over $3MM in our 401ks and taxable accounts, not counting our house (paid in full). We actually got there a couple weeks prior but then fell below when the market declined. I'm hoping like everyone the market keeps moving up and we don't take another step back any time soon. We're 18 months from retirement, so we've got a ways to go. I made some projections about 7 yrs ago and we have done quite a bit better than anticipated.
Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:19 pm We finally hit $100k invested! Took me until age 35 and nearly three years after completing school.
Congratulations. I think it took me longer.
Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 »

My ROTH IRA closed over $100K for the first time today :D (36 years old)

Though just a portion of our retirement assets, I think of it as my baby because I still remember the first $4K contribution I made over 14 years ago...

It's crazy to think how those small yearly contributions turned into a respectable amount.

:sharebeer to the next $100K!
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers
mbicycle

Post by mbicycle »

In medical school and in residency I had been bought several free steak dinners and gone to talks by so called financial planners hoping to manage the finances of myself and my classmates/coresidents. After doing some research I found out that most of these guys are actually sales men trying to sell me expensive financial products in an assets under management, high fee, high commission variety.

The last year before graduating training I bought a bunch of books recommended on the White Coat Investor website which brought me to this website and the bogleheads philosophy of personal finance and investing.

Yea, low fee, passive investing, its all true and it really is incredible what it does to your net worth. The most important information I received is about living below your means. "Live like a resident" as the WCI says. "The Millionaire Next Door" opened my eyes to the fact that you can't have money nor financial independence if you blow it all on jewellery and cars. Its much better to drive a banger and have the money working for you while you sleep.

I can't thank everyone enough on this board for all of the personal experience and advice you share. I feel like you saved me a lot of headaches and prevented so many mistakes. From you I gained the knowledge and confidence to manage my finances.

The milestone is that I hit a net worth of 2 million at great speed thanks to the continued bull market and bogleheads investing strategies and financial planning. None of it was from get rich quick schemes, bitcoin or single stock investing. All was due to long hours at work, index funds, asset allocation and aggressive saving.

Thanks!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .
mbicycle wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:03 pm In medical school and in residency I had been bought several free steak dinners and gone to talks by so called financial planners hoping to manage the finances of myself and my classmates/coresidents. After doing some research I found out that most of these guys are actually sales men trying to sell me expensive financial products in an assets under management, high fee, high commission variety.

The last year before graduating training I bought a bunch of books recommended on the White Coat Investor website which brought me to this website and the bogleheads philosophy of personal finance and investing.

Yea, low fee, passive investing, its all true and it really is incredible what it does to your net worth. The most important information I received is about living below your means. "Live like a resident" as the WCI says. "The Millionaire Next Door" opened my eyes to the fact that you can't have money nor financial independence if you blow it all on jewellery and cars. Its much better to drive a banger and have the money working for you while you sleep.

I can't thank everyone enough on this board for all of the personal experience and advice you share. I feel like you saved me a lot of headaches and prevented so many mistakes. From you I gained the knowledge and confidence to manage my finances.

The milestone is that I hit a net worth of 2 million at great speed thanks to the continued bull market and bogleheads investing strategies and financial planning. None of it was from get rich quick schemes, bitcoin or single stock investing. All was due to long hours at work, index funds, asset allocation and aggressive saving.

Thanks!
Congratulations on "a net worth of 2 million at great speed thanks to the continued bull market and bogleheads investing strategies and financial planning."
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Wife and I hit 600k in our retirement funds on Friday. Goal has been 1M by 40. I'm 36, she is 35. We shall see.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

supersharpie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 am Wife and I hit 600k in our retirement funds on Friday. Goal has been 1M by 40. I'm 36, she is 35. We shall see.
Congratulations!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

mbicycle wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks!
Your networth should continue to grow at "great speed" as the snowball effect of compounding works it's magic over the years. Of course, don't be discouraged when the market takes a hiccup, trees don't grow to the sky without a few branches dropping from time to time. You can retire well ahead of your peers in their super luxury leased cars towing their debt luggage with them, to and from the office. :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
student

Post by student »

supersharpie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 am Wife and I hit 600k in our retirement funds on Friday. Goal has been 1M by 40. I'm 36, she is 35. We shall see.
Congratulations.
Topic Author
VAslim16

Re: Mini Milestone 100K

Post by VAslim16 »

Spirit Rider wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:05 am I know I will sound like a broken record to some, but you are a fairly new BH so you get to hear it at least once. Arbitrary dollar amounts are not good milestones, because individual circumstances vary widely.

A number of zeros might feel good, but the better yardstick is a multiplier of your gross income (1X, 2X, 4X, 8X).

Once you get to about 8X the best yardstick will be a multiplier of your expenses in retirement. It is probably always the best yardstick, but it is hard to project what that might be early in the accumulation stage. X income is a good substitute as it should increase some range +- of the wage index.
Wanted to update that I’m now at 250K which is 4x income. Hoping to be at 500K in 5 years which would be about 7x income at age 45. So thankful to this group for getting me steered in the right direction. Onward!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Congratulations on your progress!

If you aren’t already doing so, keep track of your annual spending by category (savings, taxes, all other living expenses) and, within living expenses, by high level line item (mortgage, utilities, food, healthcare). The information you accumulate after a few years will be helpful in projecting retirement expenses and in determining the # years of tax/living expenses (net of projected retirement income) that you have saved in your portfolio.
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

Congrats! There are no small milestones. $100k is nothing to sneeze at.
Last edited by mcraepat9 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

VAslim16 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 am Just wanted to post because I hit a mini milestone today. Checked my Vanguard account and my stock holdings were just over 100K.
Congrats! I remember 100K like it was just yesterday. Keep at it and many more milestones will come, faster than you think.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
260chrisb

Re: Milestone #2 250K

Post by 260chrisb »

When did 100K become a small amount?? :o Congrats on the milestone. The next 100K will come quicker and seem easier. Just keep focused. As I've aged I've always found it interesting how insignificant these amounts seem to become. My first eye opener was 25 years ago when I get a 401K statement showing 23K and thinking it was a huge amount as I had nothing in any form of savings just 2-3 years prior. While 100K is a huge amount, it won't seem so huge when it's 300K.
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

VAslim16 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 am Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post because I hit a mini milestone today. Checked my Vanguard account and my stock holdings were just over 100K. I know this is small for most people on here, but considering I started investing in March 2013 and don't make a huge salary (I'm a teacher) it's something I'm happy about. I will keep my overall portfolio at about 70/30 stock to bond and keep using VTI/VXUS at a 50/50 ratio. Really appreciate all your guys' help on here and hope the next milestone, 200K for the whole portfolio, occurs by summer 2K18.

Thanks again guys. Now I probably jinxed things and will be back under 100K in a few hours when the market opens.
Woohoo!
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

That's awesome! Congratulations!!
The market up and down, no one knows how tomorrow will be but keep invested, the power of compounding is tremendous!!!