How do YOU make coffee?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ddurrett896

How do YOU make coffee?

Post by ddurrett896 »

Used a $20 cheap coffee pot year ago and transitioned to Kcups. Cost/serving on Kcup is the highest and consumption in my house is increasing. Looking into bulk ground coffee.

What device are you using to make your coffee?
Bronko

Re: How do YOU make coffee?

Post by Bronko »

Burr grind whole beans from Costco every morning. Electric kettle the water to boil and use a french press. Takes a few extra minutes but the taste is great and cost is right.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
rasta

Post by rasta »

melitta pour-over coffee brewer.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Cheap coffee pot with good rating on Amazon, Costco/Kirkland bulk ground coffee.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

This will be an interesting thread as I have seen some coffee aficionados here.

I recently dumped my K-Cup machine and bought a simple pour-over setup from Amazon for $20. Now I can make good coffee for the fraction of the cost of my K-Cup machine and it really doesn't take that much longer (Use a fast electric kettle to heat the water). I also have a french press but find the pour-over better. Its only a pain if we entertain - probably need to buy a big coffee maker for those instances with the K-Cup machine gone (luckily we don't entertain often).
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Fast: K-cups (been going with Intelligent Blends dark roast varieties when on sale)

More time: One cup Melitta pour over. Paper filter.

I like the Melitta because I can make a 20oz or 17 oz or any size cup. Stop when the cup is full/adjust amount of coffee a bit.
rasta

Post by rasta »

yes, biggest advantage of the melitta cone is you can precisely control a single cup
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Bronko wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm Burr grind whole beans from Costco every morning. Electric kettle the water to boil and use a french press. Takes a few extra minutes but the taste is great and cost is right.
Same here except I order beans online (not Costco). I use an Echo Dot and a Wemo plug to turn the electric kettle on as I'm getting dressed in the morning to eliminate a few minutes of drumming my fingers on the kitchen counter.
Beach

Post by Beach »

I buy it in half gallons, pre-made with lots of creamer and sugar already included at the local grocery store. Instant ready, never hot.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Braun Aromaster that I’ve had for a number of years - still makes great coffee. Use a Melitta paper cone filter #4. I like trying a variety of different coffees, tend towards dark roasts with some body to them. I usually go pre-ground for convenience but will sometimes grind from whole beans.
Windylotus

Post by Windylotus »

Bronko wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm Burr grind whole beans from Costco every morning. Electric kettle the water to boil and use a french press. Takes a few extra minutes but the taste is great and cost is right.
+1
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Folgers into cheap paper filter into $12 coffee maker that when it breaks, will scrap the steel/wire/aluminum and buy another $12 coffee maker.

At work, free k cups from a Keurig.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
sjt

Post by sjt »

Weekends: Often french press, heat water with electric kettle
On work mornings without a lot of time: Standard drip machine or I make it at work (see below)
At work: Aeropress (bring coffee to work in mason jar, refill jar every other week or so at home). Megacorp has electric kettle.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

1) Burr Grinder with good coffee beans from the local coffee roaster.

2) Melitta Pour Over

3) Aeropress

4) Cold brew with a glass jar. Freeze the concentrate in the freezer.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
leveraged

Post by leveraged »

Exact same for me on weekends. Weekdays I use an AeroPress with the inverted technique.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Cheap drip coffee maker. Tried commercial bunn products..couldnt tell the difference. Tried an aeropress, couldnt tell the difference. More power to those who have an ultra "refined" palate.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

With a coffee pot!! :P

We use a drip coffee maker and canned, ground decaf. I can't have a lot of caffeine for medical reasons.

Can someone explain to me the whole K-cups thing. No offense to people who like them (like my sister), but I just don't get it. The coffee doesn't seem to be any better (to me), they are expensive, and isn't there a lot of packaging waste?
rick51

Post by rick51 »

Windylotus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 pm
+1
+2
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

Super Automatic from Saeco. Grinds, tamps, injects and then ejects the used coffee grounds for the next cup to brew. Push button operation after initial morning warm-up.

:sharebeer
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

lexie2000 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm With a coffee pot!! :P

We use a drip coffee maker and canned, ground decaf. I can't have a lot of caffeine for medical reasons.

Can someone explain to me the whole K-cups thing. No offense to people who like them (like my sister), but I just don't get it. The coffee doesn't seem to be any better (to me), they are expensive, and isn't there a lot of packaging waste?
Convenience and speed. Pop in a k-cup - press a button - in 30 seconds you have a cup of coffee. An hour later you can do it again - in another 30 seconds. You need at least a few minutes for any other method.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

K-cups @ 31 cents each (Great Value Breakfast Blend).
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Keurig unit, using a reusable basket so there is no plastic/garbage/waste issues, filled with the ground beans of choice. The choice varies and we'll buy better grades of coffee often.
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Weekdays: Folgers Colombian in drip coffee maker :(

Weekends and Evening Decaf: Burr grind dark roasted whole beans from central or South America; heat water in gooseneck kettle with built in thermometer on stove; then aeropress :D
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

My Braun drip coffee pot is now 12 years old and still going strong. It's typically brewing folgers but sometimes I'll splurge and get ground Peet's or Starbucks.

I brew a full pot every other day. Day 2 I use the microwave to reheat the first cup in the morning.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

For about a quarter century, I set my alarm for 15 minutes before my wife needs to get up. I burr grind beans and make coffee in a Technivorm Moccamaster, which is the only coffee maker I’ve found (after a half dozen others) that heats the water to the right temperature before pouring it over the grounds. I use a spoon to mix the coffee and water after the first few drops of water are in the filter.

I change beans periodically, but have been using Kona ($$$$) lately.

I have used both Poland Spring water and distilled water with a packet of Third Wave (available on Amazon). We recently moved to a new house, and our well water tastes wonderful in coffee or by itself.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
depressed

Post by depressed »

I like the freeze-dried coffee. Quick and no mess, and I can't taste the difference between that an more-work methods. I usually add some almond milk.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

We got this Cuisinart Coffee Maker a couple years ago with 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupon for a good bit cheaper than is currently on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-32 ... ref=sr_1_6

Replaced a similar model we had for many years previous. I enjoy a slight amount of novelty with K-Cups while in waiting rooms or at other people's houses, but I never wanted one for daily use.

Edit to add: Wife insists on Cafe du Monde, and no arguments from me. We buy several cans at once whenever on sale at local Asian market.
Last edited by Ice-9 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I am VERY serious about my coffee. :mrgreen: :beer

I roast my beans in a Gene Cafe CBR-101 drum roaster:

Then grind them in a Bunn LPG-1 burr grinder:

Then brew in a Bunn CW-15TC:

We make a gallon and a half (3 pots) every morning, which takes 17.5 minutes total.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

You chug the entire gallon, or end up drinking day old coffee ? :)
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

For one or two cups, or for any one of 17 specialty coffee or coffee/milk drinks, I use a Krups EA9010 superautomatic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G43P6mg3_4I You can grind and brew any whole bean coffee in it, although less oily beans are preferred for machine longevity, and you can also make single cups of coffee (e.g., decaf) using pre-ground beans, without having to empty the main coffee bean container.

For more cups at one time, I grind any beans I like in a Breville Smart Grinder Pro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siYJZlLScac), and brew using a Bonavita drip brewer.

At the moment, I favor beans from Black Rifle Coffee and from Trader Joe's, but it's entertaining to try new ones often.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Microwave. Ha Ha. Really.

Brown sugar and milk into a cup. Nuke it. Add rounded teaspoon of instant coffee. And maybe a heaping teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder.

I know most of you will say that is NOT coffee. But it's how I make the stuff I call "coffee."
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Drip coffee is to coffee what chicago pizza is to pizza.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm I am VERY serious about my coffee. :mrgreen: :beer

I roast my beans in a Gene Cafe CBR-101 drum roaster:

Then grind them in a Bunn LPG-1 burr grinder:

Then brew in a Bunn CW-15TC:

We make a gallon and a half (3 pots) every morning, which takes 17.5 minutes total.
lazydavid,

<<I roast my beans in a Gene Cafe CBR-101 drum roaster:>>

Would you tell us why that coffee roaster versus something else?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm We make a gallon and a half (3 pots) every morning, which takes 17.5 minutes total.
:shock:

Hopefully you have a large family or small business with employees coming in. If just you and a significant-other you must be flying by noon 8-)
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm
3) Aeropress

KlangFool
Do you have to control the temperature of the water? How? I'd think that boiling would be too hot.
Nothing to say, really.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

palaheel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:54 pm
KlangFool wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm
3) Aeropress

KlangFool
Do you have to control the temperature of the water? How? I'd think that boiling would be too hot.
I have a pour-over (not aeropress - should try it out) but don't use boiling water. Look up "electric kettle with temperature control" on Amazon - you can get electric kettles that heat water to 200 degrees (or something else if you prefer different).
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I use a retro-style KitchenAid burr grinder to fresh ground whole bean coffee.

This goes into a My-Kcup in my Keurig single cup coffee maker.

-B
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

lexie2000 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Convenience.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

OXO coffee machine. Make good coffee, though it is a little bit loud.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Thesaints wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm Drip coffee is to coffee what chicago pizza is to pizza.
What does this mean?
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

I was happy with my old Krups drip system. But wife wanted different so we've tried French press, etc.

The simplest and best system is the $25 Aeropress.

Buy various beans to grind ourselves, around $10/lb to $20/lb

Aeropress works best with a fine grind so eventually we got a nice burr grinder that was expensive...around $450. But it really makes for great coffee.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:05 pm
Thesaints wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm Drip coffee is to coffee what chicago pizza is to pizza.
What does this mean?
You like chicago pizza ?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Thesaints wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:43 pm You chug the entire gallon, or end up drinking day old coffee ? :)
No day-old coffee in this house. :) My wife and I each take an insulated mug and a 1.1L thermos with us to work. We have a cup or two apiece before we leave the house, and my father-in-law drinks the rest through the morning.
KlangFool wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm Would you tell us why that coffee roaster versus something else?

Thanks in advance.
When I first got into roasting five years ago, there were basically three commercial (meaning not home-built) options that didn't cost multiple thousands of dollars. The HotTop was a little more than I wanted to spend, and people were having trouble with the programmable models that were just coming out. That has been corrected since, and the manual ones always worked fine. The Behmor was the cheapest and most popular, but I read too many stories about people having to prop one end up on a 2x4 or wedge the door open slightly to get the roast they wanted. The Gene seemed elegant without too many downsides, and was only a little more expensive than the Behmor, while being half the price of the HotTop. I use it very heavily (129 lbs last year), and it works like a champ.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Bodum Bistro burr grinder
Chemex pour-over coffemaker
Bodum Chambord french press
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

lexie2000 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm Can someone explain to me the whole K-cups thing. No offense to people who like them (like my sister), but I just don't get it. The coffee doesn't seem to be any better (to me), they are expensive, and isn't there a lot of packaging waste?
Less drama at work. No "wah wah I don't like this blend", "coffee is too strong/weak", "who forgot to refill the pot", "who left the machine on all weekend". Tradeoff is price, waste, and taste for sure.

At home use a Oxo burr grinder, $99, but money well spent IMO vs the old whirling blade grinder. Faster, measures the right amount and grind each time. Brew in some kinda Mr Coffee w/ a timer.

Yeah our grounds sit overnight in the machine but I'm happy to have the extra 15 minutes of sleep :mrgreen:
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

rasta wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm melitta pour-over coffee brewer.
Me too and I found out something: I ran out of filters one day and found that a BOUNTY paper towel works just as well. If I wasn't afraid that it will leech something bad into my coffee, I'd do it on a regular basis.
chw

Post by chw »

Cuisinart drip coffee maker, which makes excellent coffee, and makes very good coffee for smaller pot consumption if needed. Buy whole beans from BJs ($13 for 3 pounds) of Wellesley Farm Kona, which is a nice medium roast coffee, and grind up the beans each day.

I was considering going to Kcup for convenience, but I don't find the above method too onerous, and the coffee is better and cheaper.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

1. Espresso shot/latte using Nespresso Pixie.
2. Aero press with Carbou ground beans
3. Melitta pour over.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We grind beans, and brew a pot in my $20 Mr Coffee machine for me. DW uses a Keurig machine as she prefers a less robust cup. My coffee is too strong for her. Her coffee is too weak for me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain